Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Just got home a few minutes ago, traffic out of the area was terrible. My voice is toast from screaming Kaze Ni Nare as loud as possible and I don't care.

I'm thrilled beyond thrilled that I got to see Omega and Danielson have the best match I've ever seen in person. It loving ruled. And there were time calls throughout, I definitely remember 15 minutes, 25 minutes and 1 minute. And I gave it a standing ovation when it ended because it was beautiful and deserved nothing less. gently caress off everyone who was booing, they left so much for rematches that are going to be better.

Also, was laughing my rear end off at Cody and his train/cape and everyone booing him. It was a goofy Cody match and Cody is a huge dork and it worked.

One of the weird things about the arena is the way sound bounces around. Like you hear chants echoing which upsets the timing of the repeat because you think other people are doing it with different timing? And it was a bit difficult to hear some of the speaking, especially Justin Roberts and Tony Khan. Someone needs to teach Tony not to scream into a mic, it would help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

incredible show. idk if I should ever bother going to a wrestling show after this one----this was my first and probably won't be topped.

only low points were 1) ruby soho's finisher is REALLY bad and she needs a new one stat, looks weak as poo poo

2) One of the Rampage matches had a gruesome loving botch and the entire arena was dead silent for like a minute and a half and it's going to be tough, I assume, for that wrestler to work off that moment for a while

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My thoughts on Grand Slam Dynamite:

~ It loving slapped.
~ The Cody vs Malachai match was really good and now it is time for VENOM CODY!
~ AEW's absolute veneration over Sting is heartwarming and I'm not even a Stinger.
~ I was worried that something would get the short shrift IRT time but I guess when you limited yourself to one big promo you have a ton of time to play with.
~ It's not time to take the belt off Britt (not even close) but now I hope they manage to keep Ruby in the TNT (Dynamite/Rampage) mix. She has top face chops and too much fan support to hang out in Dark for the next six months until they make time for another program for her.
~ That having been said, her finisher does suck.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

ChrisBTY posted:

~ It's not time to take the belt off Britt (not even close) but now I hope they manage to keep Ruby in the TNT (Dynamite/Rampage) mix. She has top face chops and too much fan support to hang out in Dark for the next six months until they make time for another program for her.

Britt has gotten to be really good at the whole wrestling thing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It was definitely funny seeing Britt laying absolutely all of her poo poo in and Ruby wasn't. She'll figure it out with some more time.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I figured an ending like Britt vs Ruby will set up something like a cage match down the road so there can't be any interference.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

2) One of the Rampage matches had a gruesome loving botch and the entire arena was dead silent for like a minute and a half and it's going to be tough, I assume, for that wrestler to work off that moment for a while

Who dangit, WHO

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hobbs

They should probably lighten up on the Japanese table spots, at least on TV. Get some good old USA tables where you don’t have all that unnecessary “will it actually break this time” drama. Instead you’ll get an explosive shower of thin, cheap wood shards.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

drat, the one match I was hoping it wouldn't be. Was it really that bad a botch?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Just got in, had an amazing time, best show I’ve ever seen in person.

Also, getting out of the stadium was a disaster and I ended up spending almost 200 bucks Ubering back to Jersey.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It is still 9/22 here so I will choose this one.

Great opener. Delivered and made me want to see more.

I like Cody the further he goes down the path of becoming Triple Cody. Shouldn’t have smashed that throne homeboy you never know what dark magic will come to you. I would have enjoyed the crowd turning on him but not in favor of that tryhard dork.

Brandi is good.

There was a good match somewhere in Britt vs Ruby although something was a bit off that I can’t put my finger on.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I feel like they just ran the heel wins with interference thing into the ground with the Bucks, now here's Britt doing the same thing

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

DeathChicken posted:

I feel like they just ran the heel wins with interference thing into the ground with the Bucks, now here's Britt doing the same thing

Had an orange cassidy match a few weeks ago where literally 4 people interfered without getting caught. That was the straw that broke my back. Being a ref who has to pretend to not see all that sounds like a special skill.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The thing that works for me most about the time limit draw for Danielson / Omega is how much the two of them clearly loved the idea of it. It fits exactly into both of their ideas about who their characters are and how their characters work.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bryan needs to go lay down and put some ice on that raw hamburger chest meat.

Good lord that looked painful.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Gonz posted:

Yeah being a half hour match it took awhile to ramp up but they were clearly not holding back on the chops.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Best use of the entrance ramp graphics:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As long as your matches have time limits then it only makes sense for there to be the occasional draw, the same way that there should be the occasional count out or disqualification.
If you only do it once or twice a year then fans don't get sick out it, and it feels like these rules have some weight behind them.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Gonz posted:

Reminds me of everytime he fights Roderick Strong, no matter the decade, his chest ends up like that. Once they just briefly bumped into each other in a royal rumble and bryan's chest got hamburgered by him

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Grand Slam was fantastic, loved the whole show. The best thing about it was AEW had everyone's eyes on them with this show and they absolutely delivered. They're going to have a load of new fans after last night. Specific thoughts:

- Omega/Danielson ruled obviously. I dunno if it's my fave free TV match of the year cause Omega/Fenix was incredible but this one had a real crowd... argh I can't choose!

- MJF and Pillman delivered a very fun old school style match. And Julia is such a good valet for reals

- Cody/Black was almost an MOTYC for me but they slightly whiffed on the finish. Brandi flipping Black off and him laughing at her was amazing. Black using The Mist rules. Crowd being so into Black was fab. So ready for the Corruption of Cody Rhodes

- How the gently caress can Sting go like that in his 60s what the hell

- Britt/Ruby getting to main event AEW's biggest ever show and no one even fussing about it felt important. And lol that Ruby walked out of 4 years of being a jobber in WWE and straight into that spot. She's still gotta tighten up her ringwork a bit but she's been doing 3 minute squashes for the last forever so it's understandable

- "My god demands pain, my wife demands pleasure ...and also sometimes pain", what a loving line :stwoon:

- 7 days until Sammy is the new TNT champ :getin:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lid posted:

why did Hager randomly quote Brodie Lee in his promo?

Are you talking about him saying "yeah yeah yeah"? 'Cause that was part of Jericho's song to Lambert last week - "I'm a fat-faced dipshit, yeah yeah yeah".

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Hello, friends. You may not have realized it, but we're posting here now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980086

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Poison mist is one of the best things in wrestling, right up there with refs ejecting heels from ringside and taking off one tshirt to reveal a different tshirt

So after a ref ejects the heel, the heel should take off his shirt to reveal another shirt and then hit the ref with the mist. Boom.