Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

oh snap a byob lifting thred

i have a decent gym in my garage with a rack and cable machines and all, but my lifting has been pretty weak recently because i'm running a pretty big caloric deficit to burn off the last of my quarantine fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

NumptyScrub posted:

A friend of mine is big into kettlebells as a free weight and loves the Turkish Get Up movement, it's apparently a really good all-round workout

It does look a bit lol though

if its anything like the get-ups in the Turkish wrestling video GaG posted i'm interested :wiggle:

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

alnilam

I have always been bike and hike fit but i was always weak in the upper body and not terribly interested in lifting. The first strong-making thing i ever did was climbing, i got really into climbing because it's fun and not just pure exercise, and after a year suddenly i realized i could do not only 1, but like 10 pullups.

Later I took a climbing hiatus because of knee issues, and got into lifting to fill the gap, and really enjoyed it!

Lifting tapered off because of kid, then went away because of covid, and now i'm getting back into climbing big time after like 4 years away from it. One of my close friends and climbing buds from PA came to visit me here in OR and we went on an incredible outdoor climbing trip and it was really interesting to see that my technique was still excellent, but my forearm strength was totally shot, so I climbed pitifully. My head game was totally off too, I got way scared up on the cliff and spent too much time clinging on and wasting energy.

So it inspired me to get back into climbing and I've been gym climbing a ton now, I can go during the daytime when the kid is at daycare and bring my laptop and telework between climbs depending on what I have to do that day, and there's hardly anyone at the gym in the daytime so it doesn't feel too crowded in the age of covid. I've even made some climbing buds at the gym and done a couple more outdoor trips. That's my climbing story thanks 4 reading, anyway it turns out my climbing gym has a small regular gym in the back so I might get back into lifting too :toot:

ty manifisto

biosterous

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Tonight I learned how to roll someone over me so that they end up in a chokehold and leg lock and it felt pretty bad rear end tbh

I also won several matches against a much bigger guy starting on the ground

Liking this part of judo a lot better than the fancy footwork

you might want to check out brazillian jujitsu, all the fun groundwork and chokes and jointlocks. unfortunately generally tends to be more expensive than judo for whatever reason

doing a bunch of rolling/sparring is also some killer cardio and also works out weird muscles that don't get used for much else :v:

advice from my experience though: if you can find a place that explicitly says something like "you are not allowed to do any leg locks at all until you're at least X trained, and even then it'll just be straight kneebars allowed" that is Very Very Good. there were no such rules in place at the place i was at 10 years ago and both me and my opponent were too new to know how dangerous his attack to my knee was (it's still hosed up a decade later)

if a place doesn't have that rule but has no other downsides you can always just tap super fast to leg stuff :)

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i just watched a video on turkish getups and jeez they are complicated but maybe i will try some tmw

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!

boo-osterous posted:

you might want to check out brazillian jujitsu, all the fun groundwork and chokes and jointlocks. unfortunately generally tends to be more expensive than judo for whatever reason

doing a bunch of rolling/sparring is also some killer cardio and also works out weird muscles that don't get used for much else :v:

advice from my experience though: if you can find a place that explicitly says something like "you are not allowed to do any leg locks at all until you're at least X trained, and even then it'll just be straight kneebars allowed" that is Very Very Good. there were no such rules in place at the place i was at 10 years ago and both me and my opponent were too new to know how dangerous his attack to my knee was (it's still hosed up a decade later)

if a place doesn't have that rule but has no other downsides you can always just tap super fast to leg stuff :)

yeah I definitely want to try bjj someday but I really love my dojo. I lucked out that my sensei is so good. he's currently overseas coaching a team at the judo world championship so I'm hoping some of that rubs off on me

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i should go cowork from the climbing gym tbh because i have a membership there but i haven't gone much of last month due to sinus infection

also i am trying to get my folks to get started with liftingbut it may be a tough sell

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
successfully completed four days of lifting and two days of dancing this week! tomorrow i shall paddle board probably

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
there is no better exercise than digging a hole. first you have to break up the ground, that's exercise. then you have to move it out of the hole, for further exercise. then you have to haul it away... that's exercise too. climbing in and out of the hole, also exercise. harvesting logs and using them to shore up your ever-deepening hole constitutes exercise as well. defending your hole from jealous neighbors is perhaps the ultimate form of exercise. can you dig it?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
orbs, i should report that i can SEE MY ABS without sucking my gut in

I am getting that whole pot belly dad orb thing going on and I am 100% okay with that

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Also I have set myself the intention of being able to carry 200 lbs of people because dang it that is important to be able to lift other orbs

perhaps next week I will lift ATLAS STONES, which are a type of orbs as well

Prof. Crocodile

aldantefax posted:

Also I have set myself the intention of being able to carry 200 lbs of people because dang it that is important to be able to lift other orbs

perhaps next week I will lift ATLAS STONES, which are a type of orbs as well

orb-based orbercize

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
today's hole was 36x60x48"

my powers continue to grow

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

pnac attack posted:

today's hole was 36x60x48"

my powers continue to grow

holeonomics

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
new PR for closed grip bench @ 5 reps: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tbZa3Gb3WHwCy15K6

also, new PR for high bar squats @ 5 reps with a seasonally appropriate power metal song: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TkZzUSEbfdKNM2236

definitely need to work on bar stability since it really should just be going only up and down in a straight line on both lifts, but, i did em fair and square!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
actually, those weren't the PRs, but I wanted to record a set that had okay lifts before i went for it on the last ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

i felt pretty crummy and anxious and tired today but I made myself work out and well, tbh I feel a little tired but I feel a whole lot more like it's not a big deal. I think I've also lost some weight!