Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i'm actually hella jazzed about it and if u have been chatting around you probably have seen me doing goofy things at home or at the gym and i'm gonna say

being strong rules, and i wanna encourage everybody else on this front, because you can be a strong friend

do you wanna talk about byob fitness and encourage ur fellow orbs and get pumped for/with/about strong orb

lets talk about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i was strong once, and i genuinely want to become strong again once it's safer to do it

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Tiny Myers

say hello to my little friend

I need to get back into fitness, but it's really hard to want to when I feel bad all the time physically and don't want to feel more worse bad.

How do you work out knowing that you're going to feel like poo poo physically? Is there a way to reduce the poo poo physically feeling?

Thank you How Wonderful! for the autumn sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

working out is good and is the best anti-depressant/anti-anxiety thing i have yet discovered. I always go 'ughhhhhh i don't want to work out! I'm tired and want to continue being a blob instead!' and sometimes that's what I do, but when I do work out, I feel way less blobby and less tired and generally feel great for about 48 hours. Sometimes it makes me a little sore but like the good kind of sore.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I am excited to have a gym to go to again after a few years. When I was doing my dissertation I really did not make time to look after myself, and during quarantine it got even worse, so I am exciting to lose this newfangled little belly I wound up with. I really like the gym I signed up and it's right downtown so walking distance from other places I like to run errands, with private gender neutral showers and stuff.

I'm kind of out of the loop on lifting though. I used to lift a bit in college but that was years and years ago. My idea is just to get a little more fit and feel better and maybe get some definition or something.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Robot Made of Meat

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

working out is good and is the best anti-depressant/anti-anxiety thing i have yet discovered. I always go 'ughhhhhh i don't want to work out! I'm tired and want to continue being a blob instead!' and sometimes that's what I do, but when I do work out, I feel way less blobby and less tired and generally feel great for about 48 hours. Sometimes it makes me a little sore but like the good kind of sore.

This is exactly the kind of thing I heard for years and years.

So, I finally joined a gym and I forced myself to go three times a week for years and years. It absolutely never made me feel good or better, it absolutely never made me feel like I had accomplished anything but wasting time and effort, and making my body ache.

Clearly this is NOT how most people's gym experiences go, but I guess I really wonder what the difference is.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Escape From Noise

I started jogging again sometimes. I sorta hate it, but it's the easiest method of exercise. I also do planks and use an ab roller.

Stoner Sloth

strength through chill - motto of fit yobbers

Ugly In The Morning

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

waking up two hours early to do my VR cardio poo poo and a two-three mile walk before work has me way less tired during the night than sleeping a bit later does. I forgot how much of a game changer 90 minutes of exercise can be.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, as someone who was very sedentary and did nothing to going to weightlifting and dancing and biking and paddle boarding and rock climbing in the span of like six months, I can definitely say variety in activities that you like that are active and accessible are important. When I first started I was really embarrassed to be outside anywhere so I got a treadmill and walked at the slowest speed possible in my apartment while also working on my dietary changes.

Over time, I added weightlifting in and I felt much better after a few weeks, then adding conditioning on top of that with the strongman and HIIT type stuff made me feel like I had superpowers, no idea what to do with the energy, so I just found more things to do.

Going to the gym may have been miserable because it's a place that you might not find enjoyment in. Also, you don't have to feel awful after doing work, but it is part of some activities, since that's your body rebuilding itself to be more powerful

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Tiny Myers posted:

I need to get back into fitness, but it's really hard to want to when I feel bad all the time physically and don't want to feel more worse bad.

How do you work out knowing that you're going to feel like poo poo physically? Is there a way to reduce the poo poo physically feeling?

Also the general shittiest feelings are that you are pushing the limits hard on your body when you're not used to it yet. If you feel like butts and moving one way makes you feel worse, try something different and reduce intensity. If you are like me, for example, I have a very hard time running or even walking for longer distances because of a combination of flat feet, plantar fasciitis, lots of weight, poor walking form, and very sedentary lifestyle. It made more sense as I developed more strength and lost weight that I could get some of that back and now moving sucks way less, when previously I would be in pain after not even 3 minutes of standing still or 15 minutes of walking at a really slow pace.

Incremental and steady progress is key here and if you're working towards a certain future u will likely succeed

Ugly In The Morning
also, gameify it. I had great results actually keeping to a plan when I got a fitness watch and started to not want to lose my steak. my belligerent ADHD may be a factor there tho

----------------

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
here is a lady who literally turned 100 and lifts weights

https://youtu.be/g7Cc86uQvWE

nut

I went to the tiny gym (just me!) yesterday early in the morning before the gym rats stir

Escape From Noise

I like doing brewery work because it's like weight training sorta. Lots of heavy stuff. I'm sorta strong even if I'm pretty fat

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Ugly In The Morning posted:

also, gameify it. I had great results actually keeping to a plan when I got a fitness watch and started to not want to lose my steak. my belligerent ADHD may be a factor there tho

wii sports and ring fit adventure, ddr, etc. are all pretty dope ways to move and make it not feel like you are just on the grind of doing something boring and miserable. see also: dancing, paddle boarding, etc.

for me weight lifting happens to be hella enjoyable because of the mind body connection but also recognize not for everybody. another dude i know does krav maga and crossfit type stuff, sword training. whatever works as long as you’re into it

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
my judo sensei keeps telling me how strong i am but i think he's just trying to say that i'm relying on that instead of good technique

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Tiny Myers

aldantefax posted:

wii sports and ring fit adventure, ddr, etc. are all pretty dope ways to move and make it not feel like you are just on the grind of doing something boring and miserable. see also: dancing, paddle boarding, etc.

for me weight lifting happens to be hella enjoyable because of the mind body connection but also recognize not for everybody. another dude i know does krav maga and crossfit type stuff, sword training. whatever works as long as you’re into it

Well, maybe don't do crossfit. A lot of that stuff is seriously dangerous and if I recall they advocate for pushing yourself even when you're already fatigued and hosed up. You can get rhabdomyolysis where your muscles start melting into your blood and gently caress up the rest of your body, which can easily kill you. The mentality among crossfitters is such that you'll even see some of them joking about getting rhabdo or using the diagnosis as proof that they're really all about exercising.

The other points are good, though. I should get back into Ring Fit, tbh.

Ugly In The Morning

aldantefax posted:

I fixing love lifting and martial arts but it’s also kind of meant that my joints hurt all the loving time.

----------------

Escape From Noise

I used to do aikido, but only barely, and it's not very serious as far as martial arts go, so my joints are okay. Other than my knees, but that's because of other stuff.

I learned to stop mentioning I did aikido around mixed groups because if The Martial Arts Guy is present he has to start telling me off for believing in mystical psychic powers or whatever. I just did it a little bit and as a club activity for my year in Japan. I dunno. I'd like to try judo but I'm a bit hesitant in the current circumstances.

Ugly In The Morning

Escape From Noise posted:

I used to do aikido, but only barely, and it's not very serious as far as martial arts go, so my joints are okay. Other than my knees, but that's because of other stuff.

I learned to stop mentioning I did aikido around mixed groups because if The Martial Arts Guy is present he has to start telling me off for believing in mystical psychic powers or whatever. I just did it a little bit and as a club activity for my year in Japan. I dunno. I'd like to try judo but I'm a bit hesitant in the current circumstances.

when I taught Krav I had an Aikido friend that was, uh, not the same. I basically Jim jonesed (took him out in one punch) him.

I did Uechi Ryu growing up and loved practicing as a kind a meditation though.

----------------

Escape From Noise

when I taught Krav I had an Aikido friend that was, uh, not the same. I basically Jim jonesed (took him out in one punch) him.

I did Uechi Ryu growing up and loved practicing as a kind a meditation though.

I kind of get where the reaction comes from, because obviously there are some people who really believe in the power of it too much, but it's just tiring to sorta mention doing aikido offhand and have some guy start telling me how he could totally destroy me with some real karate moves. I'll fully admit I'd probably get laid out pretty quick in a fight. I never even took my aikido that seriously.

Ugly In The Morning

I kind of get where the reaction comes from, because obviously there are some people who really believe in the power of it too much, but it's just tiring to sorta mention doing aikido offhand and have some guy start telling me how he could totally destroy me with some real karate moves. I'll fully admit I'd probably get laid out pretty quick in a fight. I never even took my aikido that seriously.

it’s the same kind of transcendental poo poo that gets people hooked on driving an ambulance, or combat, or any other thing that’s high stakes. it’s enforced meditation.

----------------

Escape From Noise

I'll probably just stick to jogging sometimes and lifting bags of grain and kegs.

Ugly In The Morning
I’m working on gearing up an have a weight vest and 5 lb weights for my wrists.

----------------

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

I’m working on gearing up an have a weight vest and 5 lb weights for my wrists.

I basically learned this from the horny bodybuilding anime but you can totally use water bottles too for weights as long as you don’t mind hacking together some taped handles or you wanna just hold em

I was talking to my coach yesterday on the phone about wanting to get more strong orb stuff and I had ordered a pair of wagon wheels (don’t do this, btw, it is expensive and mildly pointless unless you have a specific thing you’re doing with them!!!) and some weight molds

I am gonna make weights out of CONCRETE because I need…more heavy things to lift

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

I like doing brewery work because it's like weight training sorta. Lots of heavy stuff. I'm sorta strong even if I'm pretty fat

i am actually looking at probably getting some used kegs and then filling them with stuff to get them to the right level of heavy in the future but once you fill em they kind of, you know, are a massive pain to move around or adjust weight, then i may stick to just sandbags unless i accidentally open a gym

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
One of the things that I notice specifically for strong orb is that a lot of folks tend to grow gigantic beards, but not everybody

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
lift alert: i lifted at home and then picked up a 90-ish pound sandbag, hoisted it over my shoulder, and hucked it behind me 5 times in a row, for 4 sets!

putting sand in a sturdy bag and horking it around is actually a pretty effective weight lifting method to do cheaply and is generally easy to adjust to the right difficulty. They make very fancy sandbags that strong orbs use for tournaments and such but you can get an old duffel bag, some trash bags, play sand (it is like 5 bucks at the local big box home center for like 40-50 pounds) and then just go to town

Actually kind of wish I knew about em sooner because I probably woulda gone hard on the sandbags before I bought all the other weightlifting equipment!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i wanna get a cool flag for my garage gym, now looking for recommendations

Heather Papps

hello friend

if you hate exercising for the following reasons: sweat feels gross, joints get sore, don't know how to use machines or weights i have a solution: swimming!

i moved and haven't had a ymca close, so i've been less good at swimming regularly because it requires going to a lake, but swimming is great and fun and can be very difficult if you swim laps fast or tread water so that your body is up out of the water.

pretty amazing that if you want to be healthy you can drink water, or lift it, or flail around in it.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Tiny Myers

aldantefax posted:

i wanna get a cool flag for my garage gym, now looking for recommendations

go to a screenprinting place near you and ask if they can print the byob kitten on a big flag sized piece of fabric then hang it up

Heather Papps

hello friend

Tiny Myers posted:

go to a screenprinting place near you and ask if they can print the byob kitten on a big flag sized piece of fabric then hang it up

also purchase a small fan to always keep that kitty a flappin'

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

you think that I’m strong, you’re wrong

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

biosterous

some in wh&c thread (possibly fax?) posted this guy and he's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO3dKSQayfg

clear instructions, no lunkhead mentality, barely ever any sales pitch (and when there is, it's just "i like these gymnast rings for [reasons], you don't need them starting out, but if you feel you're at the point where you need them i happen to sell them" at the very end of a video). he is chill and supportive and has tons of good helpful videos on all sorts of stuff

i'ma do some pushups now because he believes in me

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Yah that dude is cool and chill

Also,. Hmm! I need to get an image of the hammock cat for getting to a print shop

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
I am :siren: absolutely in :siren: for a yob lifting thread; I started powerlifting about 13 weeks ago after being fat as poo poo my whole life and frankly, just picking hundreds of pounds up off the ground owns hard.

https://giant.gfycat.com/FragrantGorgeousLeech.mp4
Spring masterpiece courtesy of Prof. Crocodile, thanks!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I have hEDS so I can't power lift 300lbs the way I used to but I still regularly pick up 200lbs of feed and walk around and buddy, it slaps being strong af.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I just got the molds in so I can start making concrete plates and you know what

I just realized I've never mixed or poured concrete before lmao

Also new programming starts this week and I'm lifting Monday Tuesday Thursday Saturday and dancing Wednesday and Friday and paddle boarding on Sunday

So let's get out there and lift that bread friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

aldantefax posted:

I just realized I've never mixed or poured concrete before lmao

weirdly enough it's a pretty good workout