Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Ban Calibri, Arial for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

Ban Calibri, Arial for life

Another sans serif font hunh.

:mods:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

jazzyhattrick posted:

My uncle was a sub editor at some newspaper for a while.

He told me that whenever somebody said fonts (which in that job would have been a lot) he put both thumbs up and said "ayyyy" (because fonts sounds a bit like fonz).

I bet he was really popular in that office.

E: :synpa:

What a shameful edited snipe.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Automatic Slim posted:

Is there a font that can drive a reader insane, in a Lovecraftian kind of way?

BellCent

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

FPzero posted:

I used to be one of those "ha ha Comic Sans what a bad font!" people until a friend with dyslexia told me that Comic Sans was actually conceived as an anti-dyslexia font and it really helps her and others with dyslexia to read typed words better. I stopped making fun of it afterwards since I never realized it had a legitimate purpose. I don't think it's a particularly good looking font or anything, but it has its purpose and I'm glad my friend has a font she can read easily.

It definitely wasn't conceived for helping with dyslexia, don't give it that much credit. But it was designed for children to read easier so there are distinct letterforms that happen to help with dyslexia. So it has that legitimate purpose now but it still gets horribly misused.

I spend most time looking through license free fonts so I don't have strong opinions on the classics because I don't use 'em. Palatino, Futura, and Optima were big ones I liked back in school and I have a tendency to look for free ones that resemble these ones.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its Chiller season

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Junk posted:

BellCent

What the gently caress.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Everytime someone brings up fonts, i just imagine them following it up with "HEY PAUL" and then slamming an axe into someones head.

All my favorite fonts are from games and movies. IDGAF aboout formatting or other poo poo as i am not a blessed graphic designer, nor do i have a discerning eye.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Talkc posted:

Everytime someone brings up fonts, i just imagine them following it up with "HEY PAUL" and then slamming an axe into someones head.

All my favorite fonts are from games and movies. IDGAF aboout formatting or other poo poo as i am not a blessed graphic designer, nor do i have a discerning eye.

Silian Rail

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Seriously what is the loving point of wingdings

other than to draw 9/11 in word I guess

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jakabite posted:

Seriously what is the loving point of wingdings

other than to draw 9/11 in word I guess

Wingdings is obsolete in 2021 and has been for years, because of the widespread adoption and increased character repertoire of the Unicode standard. When it was first created in the nineties it served a purpose; it allowed people an easy way to include symbols in their documents, at a time when Unicode wasn't so universally supported and didn't include all of those symbols anyway.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1445438400597790722?s=20

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

gently caress ice t i'll be a nerd about whatever the gently caress i want

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Poohs Packin posted:

I'm not sure if every single grad student attended the same seminar and I missed out but I cannot ask a peer, friend, or colleague to review a piece of my written work without some feedback on the font choice and use of "white space".

This is a fairly new phenomenon. Back when the earth's crust was still hardening and I was at university, I would ask for people to read my written work. They would typically respond with some critique to the tune of: "This introduction doesn't grab me" or "The phrasing here is a bit awkward, try reading it back to yourself". They gave me critique on content and voice. I found this tremendously helpful, and was able to improve my own professional writing based on these critiques.

Nowadays I can't get any constructive feedback without someone commenting on font selection. Now instead of, "You're using passive voice here", its "I'm not really a big fan of Garamond, and you should try using more white space".

Undoubtedly whoever has been tasked with the critique will go on some explanation of serif vs sans serif fonts, as if I don't know the difference. I personally think it's the result of a lot of academics having very silly complex views of themselves and trying to cultivate a slice of personality in an otherwise vapid and competitive world. It seems many of them have chosen "font carer" as their preferred personality trait du jour. I also blame Reddit. loving reddit.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon, have you ever been this guy/girl?

trap sprung im in two grad schools and they're both good schools and we only use TNR 12 pt at both schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ice T, confirmed goon????