Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I'm not sure if every single grad student attended the same seminar and I missed out but I cannot ask a peer, friend, or colleague to review a piece of my written work without some feedback on the font choice and use of "white space".

This is a fairly new phenomenon. Back when the earth's crust was still hardening and I was at university, I would ask for people to read my written work. They would typically respond with some critique to the tune of: "This introduction doesn't grab me" or "The phrasing here is a bit awkward, try reading it back to yourself". They gave me critique on content and voice. I found this tremendously helpful, and was able to improve my own professional writing based on these critiques.

Nowadays I can't get any constructive feedback without someone commenting on font selection. Now instead of, "You're using passive voice here", its "I'm not really a big fan of Garamond, and you should try using more white space".

Undoubtedly whoever has been tasked with the critique will go on some explanation of serif vs sans serif fonts, as if I don't know the difference. I personally think it's the result of a lot of academics having very silly complex views of themselves and trying to cultivate a slice of personality in an otherwise vapid and competitive world. It seems many of them have chosen "font carer" as their preferred personality trait du jour. I also blame Reddit. loving reddit.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon, have you ever been this guy/girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Poohs Packin posted:

I'm not sure if every single grad student attended the same seminar and I missed out but I cannot ask a peer, friend, or colleague to review a piece of my written work without some feedback on the font choice and use of "white space".

This is a fairly new phenomenon. Back when the earth's crust was still hardening and I was at university, I would ask for people to read my written work. They would typically respond with some critique to the tune of: "This introduction doesn't grab me" or "The phrasing here is a bit awkward, try reading it back to yourself". They gave me critique on content and voice. I found this tremendously helpful, and was able to improve my own professional writing based on these critiques.

Nowadays I can't get any constructive feedback without someone commenting on font selection. Now instead of, "You're using passive voice here", its "I'm not really a big fan of Garamond, and you should try using more white space".

Undoubtedly whoever has been tasked with the critique will go on some explanation of serif vs sans serif fonts, as if I don't know the difference. I personally think it's the result of a lot of academics having very silly complex views of themselves and trying to cultivate a slice of personality in an otherwise vapid and competitive world. It seems many of them have chosen "font carer" as their preferred personality trait du jour. I also blame Reddit. loving reddit.

No, I have never encountered this phenomenon.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Its a commemorative av from the time I was in between business meetings and got my tongue stuck to the rear end of an ice statue

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

thats more for the people critiquing you i dont wamt you to think im calling you a bitch specifically op

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I've encountered people who pretend like their eyes are being scratched out due to bad kerning. People who base their choice of computer OS purely on font rendering. For them Comic Sans has probably gone full circle and is now an extremely stylish choice. They've probably made a fixed width version of it just to drive the point home.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

thats more for the people critiquing you i dont wamt you to think im calling you a bitch specifically op

If I could draft an entire whitepaper in this badass font I would.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

op catching shade for unironic use of papyrus

but yeah i was literally talking to someone about font choice yesterday lol

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Sometimes people with not much self worth and maybe a lot of anger will create small daily "wins" for themselves at the expense of others in weird ways.

Sometimes thats playing loud music on public transport on their phone speaker knowing its getting a rise out of others, sometimes its complaining about someones font choice.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I have never once in my life given a poo poo about fonts and the idea of recognizing and being able to name a font is insane to me

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Because critiquing someone’s work could be seen as mean or offensive.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

I have never once in my life given a poo poo about fonts and the idea of recognizing and being able to name a font is insane to me

Well, "font" refers not just to the typeface, the shape of the letters, but to other things as well. The font could be bold, or thick, or it could be italic, or slanted.

But yeah, the problems of readable typefaces have been solved long ago, and anyone still fussing over them is a wanker.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

appropriatemetaphor posted:

op catching shade for unironic use of papyrus

but yeah i was literally talking to someone about font choice yesterday lol

I should clarify that I'm happy to discuss font choice, but all of that stuff can be "fixed in post" as they say. If the actual copy of the document isn't compelling or accurate and we're talking about fonts then we've put the carriage before the horse.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Sophy Wackles posted:

Because critiquing someone’s work could be seen as mean or offensive.

This is a whole other problem. Because I write very often for work I will sometimes get asked to read or critique a family members work. It can be very difficult outside of a professional setting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I tell you what OP I'm about to sleep after being up for twenty four hours and I sure hope I don't pass out for 16 hours again

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I tell you what OP I'm about to sleep after being up for twenty four hours and I sure hope I don't pass out for 16 hours again

You should look after yourself, bud. You're a beautiful and funny person. Sleep debt will gently caress you up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
fixedsys is the eternal font

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
fonts a re cool!!! (:

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
it always seemed unfair to me that there is a letter P but not a letter poo

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

also the best font is futura. close thread

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Junk posted:

it always seemed unfair to me that there is a letter P but not a letter poo

Huh? How do you pronounce the letter P?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

Huh? How do you pronounce the letter P?

the way it looks

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Who What Now posted:

I work in a print shop. people will bring stuff that I have to recreate and not a single one of them has a regular, easy to find font. I now have a really big collection of fonts at work because of this. Also, whatthefont.com is useless in finding fonts 99% of the time.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Junk posted:

the way it looks

Like a tongue sticking out?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I work with an architect who sends all emails in courier and its a bit obnoxious. Ill never call him on it though, architects tend to be insular and competative and thats part of his "brand" so whatever.

I should clarify my job involves me making arguments on behalf of architects and private clients and typically involves defending a design outcome. As such, I often have written work reviewed by people with a bit of a design background.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Junk posted:

also the best font is futura. close thread

Wisdom

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Um, excuse me, they’re called “typefaces,” ok? Sheesh.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀:goonsay:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im really tired OP

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

In my undergrad and brief grad school experience usually teachers would specify in the syllabus at the start of the year that work had to be done in Times New Roman 12pt or similar font, to stop the people that would use fonts with weird spacings from turning a 4.5 page paper into a full 5. Is that not a thing anymore? Are students just going mad with power under no strict font regulations?

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me
Cocksure is the best font.

https://www.dafont.com/cocksure.font

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Unless you’re printing it out and sticking it on the wall how could the font possibly matter. If you’re publishing it online or in print the font will be someone else’s decision (maybe even the reader/end user if it ends up on an e-reader)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I used to be a huge font dork as a kid because my dad worked in graphic design and would bring home font catalogs. I even asked for a font for my birthday one year. But now that I am older and even though I work every day on graphics I think it's ridiculous how much some people wax pretentiously about fonts. They even made a movie about Helvetica which played at arthouse theaters.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Times 12 or GTFO, sorry to have to be the one to break it to you OP.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Big verdana man here

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Um, excuse me, they’re called “typefaces,” ok? Sheesh.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀:goonsay:

TYPE THIS

*chchboooooom!!!!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Who What Now posted:

Fonts matter. Font choices matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVhlJNJopOQ

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
i hope you chose a font with good keming, op

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

i hope you chose a font with good keming, op

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Poohs Packin posted:

This post is kind of difficult to read. I think if you spaced things out a bit more it might be easier to parse and allow me to engage with its content.