Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
While I have issues with the game's writing as applied to the forking paths, the game's backstory and Act 1 is pretty solid overall, providing a good backdrop for why people are doing what they're doing. I also appreciate that the blatant exposition is largely confined to the history books and what not. So it's both optional to read and not in your face. It also lines up nicely with the idea that random people aren't going to strictly know what's happening with all this political movement without spending some effort to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The Shadow Library - Part 2

Encyclopaedia of Fodlan's Insects posted:

"(This book title does not match its contents, suggesting a false cover. It seems to be a catalog of some kind.)

• Distance Viewer (Based on Glasses)

By combining glass lenses, one can view great distances with enhanced clarity. Crafting such a tool was forbidden to a degree by the Archbishop for the following reasons: 1. The ease of locating enemy camps would escalate wartime violence. 2. It would be too easy to snipe from afar. 3. It would lessen the mystery of the Goddess, who watches from above.

• Flammable Black Water

A sticky black liquid was discovered in northern Faerghus. It burns furiously and emits a highly toxic gas. The use of this wicked substance was forbidden by decree of the Archbishop for the following reasons: 1. Misuse could result in accidental death. 2. It could be used tactically by those lacking magical ability. 3. Competition for it would cause strife.

• Metal-Hold Printing Machine

Though initially lauded as a practical replacement for woodblock printing, after careful consideration, deemed it taboo for many reasons, particularly the following: 1. Risk of mass circulation of misinformation and malevolent rumors. 2. It is useless to illiterate commoners. 3. Risk of intensifying disparity between church branches.

• Human Autopsies (Especially Involving Head or Chest Incisions)

Though it is widely believed to be medically relevant, such actions upon a corpse are considered desecration of the dead. Since white magic can be used to a similar end, autopsies were deemed taboo. A notable cardinal asserted that if medical science were to excel over faith-based white magic, it would destabilize the foundation of the church."

And here we go. The Shadow Library is either loved or despised for content like this. Rhea and the Church have been withholding technological advances from the people of Fodlan. The amount of time they've managed to do this is unclear. I would presume that these are relatively recent discoveries otherwise someone on the borders would likely have found out about them independently. Notably the battle advantage access to oil and looking glasses would likely be very significant. The damage that this has caused to the population of Fodlan is difficult to assess really. But at the very least, the banning of the printing press has likely stopped the population from meaningfully educating themselves.

Romance of the World's Perdition posted:

"In the land of Thinis, where the old gods are said to live, the False God has awakened. Its looming, heteromorphic vessel was resurrected to sink the world to the depths of the ocean. It will bring extinction to all children of men, and salvation to all beasts of the land, sky and sea. For the children of men who spilled too much of the blood of life, it promises only cruel retribution.

The False God must be defeated before the world sinks into a watery grave. To this end, the children of men have erected pillars of light upon the land. Thinis, Malum, Septen and Llium were utterly destroyed. Those lands have vanished from this world. Yet even still, the False God stands. And soon, a flood aptly named Despair will drown this world.

The children of men fled to the depths of the earth, beyond the sight of the False God, beyond the entrance of the sacred sun, and beyond the reach of the water of Despair. They swore a fervent oath of revenge against the surface world, ruled by beasts, and against their tormentor, the False God."

This is the origin story for Those Who Slither in the Dark such as it is. The timeline here is muddied at best, but the False God here is very likely to be Sothis, the heteromorphic vessel noting how Nabateans have the ability to switch between human and beast form.

The ancient Slitherers wage war against Sothis, firing javelins of light at her, but to no avail. Instead she manages to flood the earth and remove all of the Slitherers beyond those who ended up underground and hidden away.

At some point later the Slitherers resurface and wage another war against the Nabateans and the new? humans of the world, which leads to the death of Sothis and many Nabateans as well as the creation of the relics we know today.

If I'm honest, I'm unsure if this is the correct read, but it certainly adds colour to ancient history.

The Truth of the Heroes' Relics posted:

"I, a priest of _______ the findings of my investigation___ When a Crest Stone was removed while its Relic was being wielded by ______ all movement within the Relic ceased. When the Stone was returned, the Relic once again ____ It is beyond question that Crest Stones supply their associated Relic with power of some kind. And the impetus of said power is clearly related to the Crests that certain humans possess...

...Based on the composition of ___ it can be summarized that _______ likely a massive creature akin to a wyvern. However ____ strength is beyond compare to that of wyvern bones. They are more durable than all materials other than crucible steel, making them ideal for crafting weaponry, and absolutely _______ inhabiting ____ difficult to conceive, but one theory____ Is it possible that______ the goddess's___ have potentially...

... Heroes' Relics have been found that are not linked to the Ten Elites.______ the 10 Elites_______ Could it be that others were gifted this power by the goddess as well? Perhaps the disturbing____ that the Relics were not gifts from the goddess___ Additionally______ the same Crest Stones____ Many of my hypotheses_______ I am desperate to find the truth of it all.

The time has come. I must discard_____ I daresay the goddess would not wish for me to learn more than I already have.

(The pages are old and worn, so most of the text is illegible.")

Here we have some stuff we already probably know the material of by this point. Heroes relics are made from the bones of Nabateans and gain power when wielded by someone of a Nabatean bloodline. There were more crests and relics than those of the ten elites, as we've seen with Marianne's Crest of the Beast as well as the crests wielded by the Ashen wolves.

Fragments of a Forgotten Memoir posted:

"___/15 - Ailell Forest

It has been several months since King Nemesis has been defeated, and the tides of war have turned from bad to worse. I have received news that my friend Daphnel has fallen as well. Those zealots are after our heads, and those of our leaders. All that is left for us is to disappear into the muddy waters Seiros has created. My long life may soon come to an end...

___/2 - Itha Plains

I somewhow escaped with my life, but I fear the end is near. Most of my clan has already surrendered to the Empire. To my surprise, I am told their safety was guaranteed. I, however, am a different matter. My life, along with my sacred weapons, will unquestionably be forfeit. My dear son and daughter... I hope you can forgive me one day.

___/5___
Why does Seiros despise us so? What did King Nemesis do to occur such unyielding wrath? Perhaps it was a mistake to accept his offer. In my case, that is all in the distant past now...

_______ and before this body falls to ash, the evil...

(The paper is so tattered the rest is illegible.)"

Again not a huge amount of new stuff here. It looks like one of the ten elites wrote a memoir as they were chased to the ends of the earth by Seiros for the murder of Sothis. It's interesting that this person doesn't seem to know why Seiros is so angry with them, which implies that the ten elites were patsies who were just given Nabatean blood and weaponry. If you recall Rhea asserts that they helped the massacre at Zanado, but if that's the case, then why is this person so confused?

Mysteries of the Calendar, Vol. 2 posted:

"Much time has passed since the Imperial calendar was adopted. In the prior calendar, the year began with what we now call the Guardian Moon and ended with Ethereal Moon. Back then, the 12 lunar phases were exclusively referred to as months. They came to be known as moons with our current calendar system.

Though the prior names of the months are lost, it is known that the Guardian Moon was often shortened to the number one, Pegasus to the number two, and so on until Ethereal Moon, the twelth and final month. Though inelegant, this was a practical system that apparently served the people of the time well.

There is no way of knowing when the old calendar was created. Any attempts to trace its origins lead to the era of the gods and more unanswered questions. All we know for certains is that the calendar has existed for a nearly incomprehensible length of time.

To change a civilization's calendar would inevitably cause great confusion and unrest. Why, then, did Emperor Wilhelm__the first leader of Adrestia__choose to abandon the original calendar in favor of the Imperial calendar? Historians have identified several possible reasons for such a dramatic measure.

1. The Influence of the Church of Seiros

The names of the Imperial calendar's moons, and the associated lore behind them, are intimately related to the tenets and saint of the Church of Seiros. It is highly probable that basing the new calendar on the teachings of Seiros was Emperor Wilhelm's attempt to spread those beliefs in a much wider scale and help legitimize the church.

If this is the case, it is further proof that the Adrestian Empire had close ties to the Church of Seiros from the very moment of its conception. Alternatively, it has been posited that the goddess herself wished to change the calendar and voiced this desire through the prophet Seiros. This would mean that Emperor Wilhelm simply implemented the change rather than originating it.

2. Asserting authority

Calendars represent the flow of time, and so creating a new one is akin to claiming dominion over time itself. Shortly after its founding, the Empire used its influence to establish a new calendar and retroactively proclaim its founding year as Year 1. Amid the unification of Fódlan, this move increased Imperial authority and heralded the start of a new era"

This last bit from the library is rather uncontroversial. We know now that Rhea was supported by Wilhelm at the founding of the Empire and we even have hints that they were romantically involved from elsewhere in the library, so both supporting the church and cementing the authority of the Empire are things that would really have been desired.

It's interesting though, when did the Empire start passing down the idea that Nemesis was a hero if Wilhelm was so strongly tied to Rhea?

What I really liked about the Shadow Library is that absolutely nobody has it right. Not even Claude manages to get to the whole truth by the end. So much is lost to history, so much has been changed by word of mouth that almost no fact about the world is guaranteed. So is Edelgard's crusade right in that context?

I remain impartial, but I just love thinking about this and seeing all the fan theories and ideas that have come about from this game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the Slitherers are the OG humans, where did the current humans come from?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They sailed from the continent of Deece.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Linhardt should have a line somewhere alluding to the missing relics somewhere in CF.

As for the 10 Elites thing.

So, like, when Seiros was on her warpath she actually dyed her hair blonde. I don't think I saw a single person mention this or note it ever before her Fire Emblem Heroes unit came out and she was strikingly blonde. The opening cutscene with her has such specific lighting that you'd think it was just the sunlight on her but the tips of her hair are a bright green. So, that's why the Elites don't know this. The Nabateans have green hair and eyes. Seiros doesn't. They don't know she's coming for revenge because of that. If they ever were involved with Zanado in the first place.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah until her FEH art came out I legit just thought her hair was light green, so the Rhea thing was a massive nonreveal to me, but nope her hair is intended to be different. They just used hues that look totally green in that scene. :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The survivors that stayed with/around the destroyer rather than fleeing underground.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Clawtopsy posted:

They sailed from the continent of Deece.

Deece Nuts?

Natural 20 posted:

It's interesting though, when did the Empire start passing down the idea that Nemesis was a hero if Wilhelm was so strongly tied to Rhea?

Wasn't it also Rhea's idea to rewrite the story that way? A fallen hero of course, but originally a hero... who was originally just granted the weapons in good faith, cause there's totally no way some mere uppity humans could kill gods and turn their bones into weapons right :ohdear:

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
WoG says that Nemesis was written down as a hero because, at that time, humans really did see him and the Elites as heroes for liberating them from their immortal 'Dark God' (coughNabateancough) rulers. So he was 'good' when he was removing the "dark gods" and then 'turned evil' when he started going after other humans, whereas it is more likely he was a powerhungry bandit who knew that humans hated their immortal overlords, who was given a unique opportunity by the Slytherins and also knew the value of good pr and so cloaked his I-want-power bullshit in rhetoric about liberation.

As for Wilhelm, his concern regarding Sothis probably started from a similar place- once she revealed to him that she was secretly a Nabatean, the War Of Heroes begins to look a lot like a human-v-dragon proxy war for who gets to rule Fodlan, and even after joining Rhea for his Empire (and maaaaybe his relation with her?) he could have harbored some concerns about the whole thing.

E: WoG quote

quote:

From the human perspective/side, Nemesis and the Ten Elites were heroes. As a result, ruling above humans, she [Rhea] would be unable to completely fabricate points that would deny every aspect of their history, eh. As a result, she left them as heroes while changing other parts in order to suit her own needs.

As for why Rhea doesn't talk about this, it seems unlikely she'd want to mention the whole "Nabateans had installed themselves as immortal rulers over humans, who saw them as dark gods and tyrants" to Claude in VW, after Claude breaks Rhea free from a war that occurred at least partially because Rhea once again installed herself as an immortal ruler of humans and humans again not liking it.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 23, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Character Roundup 2 - Part 1

So on the final supplement I have for the LP (whilst I edit the nightmare that is Chapter 18 which is something like a 2.5 hour long battle), I wanted to give a final roundup on how our characters ended up with their stats, comparing them to the average and briefly commenting on how well they did!

I'm using https://fe3h.com/average_stats as my basis for calculating average stats. I've done my best to track when people joined and what they leveled in as well as what stat boosters they were given, but it's essentially a reasonable estimate. Additionally I wasn't able to keep track of birthday stat gains so charm is going to be high on most characters as a result.

Byleth

Ugh, Byleth had a pure hatred of getting strength bonuses in the latter half of the game. It really showed near the end where I felt like he just wasn't hitting for real damage at all. I patched him with some boosters so he ended up being okayish. But largely he was carried by how good Trickster is over anything else. The mobility the class afforded me and the team in general outweighed Byleth being a bit of a paper tiger.

Edelgard

Edelgard was near enough bang on average for us. Which goes to show just how absolutely broken she is honestly. Aaverage and she was far and away the most powerful single character in the army. The strength of Aymr is so polarising that basically no map could challenge me if I decided I was going to burn Raging Storm charges. On top of that, she's strong and fast enough to do insane things like one round Maddening Rhea and Dimitri. I used to rate her around the same level as I did Claude, but honestly if I were to tier list this game again I'd make an S+ one just for her.

Jeritza

Jeritza doesn't really have that much lattitude with which to express himself. His stats are unsurprisingly near average. I will say that he was a big surprise for me. Incredibly powerful out the gate and a key piece in my anti-bow knight doctrine.

Constance

Constance was the queen of the early game, but she settled well in her endgame role. Magic returned to the norm slightly but still ended up a powerful stat. Nothing else was particularly remarkable, although the high res helped. I think I would have liked a little more Magic ultimately. She came perilously close to being able to oneshot certain characters with Bolting, but the threshold was just a little out of her reach.

Leonie

Leonie did oh so well for us. Luck is almost certainly not that high from growths. I'll be honest, at some point I lost track of all the luck and dex boosters I was giving her, so I'm really not sure how much of that is a booster stat. That being said, her strength is phenomenal and she had key extra growths in both speed and defense, lending her more to her physical tanking role than normal. And of course, dex/luck build made her into the critical killing machine you've been seeing in the latest videos. At this point I'm pretty convinced that she's the most underrated character in the game from a gameplay perspective.

Lysithea

What the hell happened. Lysithea dropped five points in magic and gained nine, bloody nine points in speed. I've never seen anything like it. Speedy Lysithea was absolutely incredible this run. Her speed meant that she was able to effortlessly murder a swathe of enemies that really should not have been doubled by her. It meant that I favoured Dark Flier on her pretty significantly because the mobility let her instakill and poke people down. I don't think she's generally better than Constance, but if Lysithea got this statline on average, she definitely, definitely would be.

Dorothea

Dorothea had amazing growths all around! I never noticed though because she was too busy dancing for my entire army. She was excellent in that role unsurprisingly but it's a little bit of a shame that she was the dancer this time around when she could have done some really good work as a Gremory. Alas.

I'll review the remaining 7 endgame units in the next part!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Character Roundup 2 - Part 2

Okay okay, the final final supplement.

Marianne

Marianne monstrous strength is a little bit of a ruse, she got a huge bonus from briefly going into Assassin because I thought it would be cool. There's very little that's remarkable here, Marianne is a functional healer and that's all she really needs to be. I did have a little fun with Blutgang crits this time around though! (Which might have been fueled slightly by her great luck)

Annette

Oof, Annette didn't have a great time of it. Low growth on magic meant that she couldn't really do her one offensive job of oneshotting fliers with Excalibur. I patched her HP a lot so she could fight archers better, so she wasn't unsalvageable but not great considering you're the weakest mage and you need the best growthline to compete with the rest.

Shamir

The Shamir allergic to strength and dex and luck growth. You hate to see it. She compensated significantly with her speed which lead to some inexhaustible quads she otherwise wouldn't have managed. It has its ups and downs. The quads are still explosive, strength gets patched by double bowfaire, but once Inexhaustible is uhhh, exhausted, you're low on decent options.

Hubert

Hubert made an excellent account of himself this run. Higher than average nearly everywhere with key growths in magic meant that he kept up admirably with the ladies despite being a man. I really underestimated him, Dark Spikes access on decent defense made him an excellent EP cav killer and his range was pivotal early.

Ferdinand

You'll remember I lamented Ferdinand early on and was claiming he'd almost certainly end up on the garbage pile. Well he fixed himself. Below average speed doesn't matter when you've got a brave axe and above average strength is great on a Wyvern Lord with said brave axe. Probably the biggest surprise in overall utility, he really came into his own deep in the game.

Yuri

Ugh Yuri. Yuri just collapsed as the game went on. Allergic to strength growths he had to be patched like crazy on that stat with boosts and his poor Def and Res meant he couldn't really serve as a speed tank. He was basically entirely held up by how amazing the Trickster class is and offered very little utility beyond that.

Felix

Felix got growths where it counted. Good across the board with great strength is exactly where he wants to be. He's not Leonie levels of lethal, but he was never going to be, that being said he was a key piece in a lot of my offense for a large portion of the game and had it where it counted when it came to disposing of the Faerghus nobility.

Overall

I feel like I got lucky here. I got some real killers out of good growths and my poorest growths fell on people who were largely held up by their class choice anyway. Largely though, I think that the sheer insanity of Aymr and crit Leonie would have rendered any issues around growths moot. And notably, tracking my growths meant that I was able to patch things with stat boosters as I saw them.

I will also say that my class choice for a lot of these guys was sub-optimal. A lot of the melee should have ended up in Wyvern Lord but just didn't. Felix, Jeritza and Byleth in Wyvern Lord would have helped those three immensely. On top of that a lot of characters ended up with horses that hurt them for the final battle. Hubert, Shamir and Marianne would all have served better on foot instead of in their Master classes for example.

Lessons to learn are unsurprising. Use the good classes and I think more importantly, use your stat boosters. Typically your strategy with them should be to boost weaker defensive stats so that characters don't get oneshot, buff terrible offensive stats so characters aren't useless and then finally boost strong offensive stats to give your attackers the ability to kill more cleanly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 20 - To End a Dream - With Alxprit

And that is the end of Crimson Flower and the end of 3H as a whole in combination with Rea's incredible work.

I think more than anything I realised as I played this for the third time that I absolutely adore Three Houses and especially what Maddening mode managed to do to it.

And yes, that is my (unsurprising?) real opinion at the end of the video.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It’s good to see a complete set of runs for each of the paths now publicly available. Personally the monastery gets tedious to me, so despite attempts I couldn’t finish CF myself.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Thank you for finishing this! It was a great LP, and it gave me the hints I needed to do my own fresh Maddening playthrough. I would like to file a formal complaint about killing Ashe though, that was just uncalled for!

I played on casual, which is good because the Bolting assholes in the final map crit Byleth just before I was done. I messed up the timing on Rhea's barrier too, so I ended up burning through her entire last health bar with Raging Storm. Amyr and Rhea broke at the same time.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

And yes, that is my (unsurprising?) real opinion at the end of the video.
:hmmyes:

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Now that I've seen all the routes I'm looking forward to Three Hopes even more. I've got high hopes because the Nintendo IP Warriors spin-off games are all some of the best in the franchise.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Given that one of them's named Chevalier, I've always assumed Rhea named her golems after lesser saints and other family members who died too early to be canonized. That shared name is the only real backing I've got for that theory, though.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Isn't the middle one named the same as the first emperor?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Now that all routes have been shown off I can finally post...Edelgard Says and Edelgard Says More. So Edelgard's VA, Tara Platt, has had a number of roles over the years. This includes Zero, the protagonist of Drakengard 3, known for being an extremely foul-mouthed murderhobo.

Someone had the bright idea to overlay scenes featuring Edelgard with Zero's lines, and these were the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDqLPLWUxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

The true ending of this LP.

Malah
May 18, 2015

The :unsmigghh: ending that any CF run deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I continue to add things on to this.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - Managing the Monastery

I promised this video during the LP but got round to it now because we're on a break between LPs!