Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

Are the Aqua Scylla weak to earth? It goes Fire>Wind>Earth>Water>Fire I think, based on some half-remembered skits.

Indeed they are. Strong against Water and Void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Good Job LPing these games Sylphid.
Havn't really been in the mood to engage with Tales of, but wanted to support your work.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Good Job LPing these games Sylphid.
Havn't really been in the mood to engage with Tales of, but wanted to support your work.

I truly appreciate that. I'll drag all the games I LP over the finish line, no matter how long it takes, but I do like hearing feedback along the way.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: The Truth of an Age

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So was Camlann a strategic location or not? Why did Heldalf occupy it for half a year if he was always going to retreat the moment Hyland attacked it? I've never really understood this part of the story (to say nothing of how recent it was, the early parts of the game really give the impression the Age of Chaos has lasted for much longer).

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Staltran posted:

So was Camlann a strategic location or not? Why did Heldalf occupy it for half a year if he was always going to retreat the moment Hyland attacked it? I've never really understood this part of the story (to say nothing of how recent it was, the early parts of the game really give the impression the Age of Chaos has lasted for much longer).

It was, since it was located in an area of the continent neither side had claimed yet. I'm supposing that Michael doing a big dramatic thing like relocating the central deity of the continent's religion up to that region also increased interest in it from both sides. My guess is that Heldalf's "protection" had de facto placed Camlann in Rolance's custody, but for whatever reason his was the only army to actually try to claim the area. From the way he talked, seemed to me he figured that, unsupported by other empire troops, the army under his command stood not much chance of winning a fight with Hyland if he stuck around, particularly with a hostile local population.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 7, 2023

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
That no one had claimed that territory yet seems to indicate that it wasn't valuable land. If Rolance and Hyland knew Maotelus was there that would certainly change things, but I thought no one knew Michael had moved Maotelus?

It would make sense if Heldalf decided to retreat from a significantly stronger enemy force, but the flashback seems paint it as him immediately deciding to gently caress off after contact, without even a scout report on the enemy's strength. If Heldalf thought any force Hyland sent would be able to overpower him, why even bother to go to Camlann in the first place?

(I'm also confused how Heldalf was feeding his men for that long, especially since the locals didn't like him and would presumably have mentioned it if he was seizing food from them, but expecting a fantasy game have sensible logistics would be pretty dumb.)

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Granted, yeah, this entire chain of events requires a lot of theorizing, but they imply in the flashback Heldalf MADE it valuable land by staying there for so long. Apparently, before he showed up, neither country showed much interest, since Camlann is deep in the mountains and not particularly valuable territory. Staying there for six months, it would have easily appeared to Hyland it was going to end up a new front in the war if they left it alone, so they had to attack. As for Heldalf retreating, my guess is he considered occupying Camlann probably the most he could do with the resources and manpower on-hand and what he could requisition from the population. If he stays and fights, he almost certainly loses, but if he runs, at least he tried to expand Rolance's borders into a theater neither side had thought of until that time.

As for Maotelus getting moved, the images we saw of Michael in the Earthen Historia showed a not noticeably much younger guy traveling with Lailah, so whatever the exact number of years, there was no long gap between Michael abandoning the status of Shepherd and settling in Camlann with Maotelus and those who chose to follow him, and the start of all the business at Camlann. Based on Lailah's comments to Zaveid and Edna when we went to the Spiritcrest, she was certainly familiar with both, but given neither talk about Michael nor apparently have much interest in what became of him, safe to say Michael probably never had a pact with them or anything, and they merely just crossed paths at some point. By whatever means one transports an Empyrean, Michael did so apparently in quite a clandestine manner, leaving the world of mortals enormously confused about what his status actually was. I'm guessing there weren't many non-hellion survivors from Camlann from any faction who was involved in all those events, so nobody except Lailah, who was with Michael at least until he nabbed Maotelus, and Mayvin, into the present day, know what happened, and both have good reasons not to talk about it. Then you add in 15 or so years between Maotelus becoming a hellion and a rapidly-disintegrating world in the interim, easy to imagine people got to thinking Maotelus may have never existed at all.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIX: The Resolution of a Conflict

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
For the record, I had intended to end the third act with Mayvin's death, but I forgot Zestiria had the ol "Long night scene before the final battle" Tales thing, and it just felt wrong to have that moment as like, the second update of the final act. The other plan would have been to combine that with all this Tiamat business to open the final act, but that update would have been waaaaaay too long. So the night scene update as the last one of the third act seems the most equitable solution.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XX: The Light of a Star

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXI: The Crisis of a Village

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Apologies for the delay for the next update. Part of it a lot of content to cover, another part of it is I'm finally taking this time to seriously grind equipment, even without having access to the final dungeon. I don't intend to go like, whole hog on it right now, because you can't really access incredibly powerful builds on a NG, but I feel like I want to make the game a bit easier on myself, is the thing.

Grinding equipment like this again, really feel like Zestiria's whole equipment drop mechanic, and that's how you actually create decent builds, really one of those things that sounds more intimidating than it actually is, at least assuming you know your limits. I mean, it's tedious, there's just no getting around that, but I feel this time, it's vastly easier on me because I have a spreadsheet I can look at to make sure I'm doing it right. It's definitely more complicated than it needs to be, but if you take it step-by-step, it's not so awful, and it is fun watching a build come together. Another thing that kinda gets me is that, difficulty levels in Berseria were kiiinda much less important. It affected stuff other than enemy parameters, sure, but in Zestiria, difficulty and equipment builds are intrinsically linked gameplay mechanics.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I actually hated how the difficulty levels were linked.
I dont really remember the specifics of either games gameplay, but I remember Zesty just like hating you and being unfun from start to finish because of the artes split.

I beat Zesty.... somehow, but only after buying the level DLC cuz I had absolutely no interest whatsoever in the gameplay even with the kino rear end Armatize mechanic.
I dont think it helped much due to the way zesty hated you, but sunk cost fallacy got me to the end lol.

I dont think Bersy's gameplay was all that better, but atleast it felt like progress.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXII: The Tales of a Troupe

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIII: The End of a Dream

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
IIRC (mechanics spoilers I guess?) equipped joke items also carry over into NG+ (immediately). Also being able to fuse with anything really helps with skill setups, even if the stats are garbage. And the joke staff has Mistiq (-40% cast time), which is really good. e: especially if you can get it blessed with mystic in the first slot, but I think that takes some finagling? I really don't remember.

Staltran fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 24, 2023

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXIV: The Advent of an Aurora, Part 1

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXV: The Mysteries of a World

An update two months and 1000 bucks in the making. Really, really wanted to get this one out the door, finally.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sylphid posted:

Part XXV: The Mysteries of a World

An update two months and 1000 bucks in the making. Really, really wanted to get this one out the door, finally.

Did your pc die?
if so my condolences and thanks for fighting past the LP Curse.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Did your pc die?
if so my condolences and thanks for fighting past the LP Curse.

Not quite, but not far from the border, either. After I came back from July 4 stuff, my last machine has a really crazy issue where it'll crash if you give it any kind of like, random input. Like, say, resting your wrists too hard on the part of the laptop where your wrists are meant to rest while typing. Or, if it's in a particularly bad mood that restart, just moving the mouse pointer can cause it to crash, too. Obviously, if you're going to manage an LP with lots of mouse pointer moving and wrists resting on the laptop, this is a huge issue. So, it's not dead, but very very difficult to work with in a serious capacity.

There's also the issue with MeGUI or any kind of video encoding on it, where, whoo boy, it does not like doing that. The video with Mikleo and Sorey in Elysia was the last one I made on it, but I assume anything much longer than that would cause it to turn into hot slag. One of those cases where the cure (financially) would have been worse than the disease, so it was upgrading time.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 22, 2023

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVI: The Strength of a Knight

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVII: The Pride of a Princess

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

+1 to getting all tales of as as SSLPs.
My love for the series has waned a lot, so it might be my best bet to seeing the ends of the games.

Congrats on the LP.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVIII: The Advent of an Aurora, Part 2

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And we. are. DONE. October 9, 2021, to September 11, 2023. Longest thread I've run yet in terms of number of days, Arland beats it by number of updates. Good lord that was a hell of a thread to get to finishing back in the day.

At the end of the day, only thing I regret is that it took so long. Think I'll run any future threads like I did Lulua, and how I did the first few updates of Berseria: do basically everything related to the LP on my own time, my own schedule, then post updates a few days apart. More efficient way than just sorta kinda-hoping I get around to working on updates within a reasonable time frame, which certainly doesn't always work out, for many reasons.

But, the important thing is that this particular one is done and dusted. I'll get to submitting the Archive request in due time, with all appropriate steps taken thereto, and when that goes up, that will truly be that.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Thank you for doing this! I'd forgotten an awful lot of both games, but especially Zestiria, so it was fun to refresh my memory.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thank you for showing off these games!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I didnt have much to say about the games, but it was a fun read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Thank you for the LP(s) Sylphid, learned a whole bunch about all the little references between the games, and got me in the mood to replay them! Looking forward to any new LPs in the future.