Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Black and White. Let's Play Tales of Berseria / Zestiria

Two games this time?

Yep, two. Tales of Berseria (2016 / 17) is the 16th mainline entry in the Tales series, while Zestiria (2015) was the 15th. As for why two games under the same roof? These two are the rare back-to-back Tales releases that, plot-wise, are related to each other. Although Berseria was released second, it is a prequel to Zestiria, which will become pretty clear as you progress further into the game. As for why I'm doing Berseria first? Thematic significance, mostly.

So what will this thread look like?

This first post in the thread will be dedicated to Berseria, as it's the first game I'll cover here. For the first time in the Tales series, the protagonist is a woman: Velvet Crowe. Not to spoil too much right in the first post, but her tale brings her from her humble home to becoming a world-shaking calamity. Berseria takes a lot of its gameplay inspirations from prior entries in the series, but differences from prior entries, both significant and not, will become evident pretty quickly. Progression in this game is pretty typical Tales fare: there's a main quest where all the plot and character development occurs, and as the game world opens up, so too does its optional content. I will, of course, cover this title as thoroughly as possible.

And how about costumes?

Of course, costumes and accessories are in this game, and out in full force. Although the system works somewhat differently from the Xillia games, that is certainly no reason we can't have our fun with it when the time comes. Like with my Xillia 2 thread, posters in this thread who are lucky enough to be chosen will get to have their costume preferences chosen and put on display for a few updates. I've already written updates 1-4 as of posting this thread, but once we get to part 5, then the fun begins. I'll ask everyone I choose to come up with a full slate of costumes for the entire party for a particular point in the plot, but if you choose only a couple costumes, that is no obstacle. Any characters who do not have outfits / accessories chosen, I will come up with those.

And, of course, spoilers

This thread will be a bit unusual in that we're playing the second game made before the first one, which you are kinda expected to know prior to playing Berseria. There's no helping it based on what I envision this thread to be, but do try to keep spoilers for Berseria and its numerous connections to Zestiria in spoiler tags until they come up in the thread. You don't actually need to know anything about Zestiria to get the plot of this game (the reverse is also true), but connections are fun, right? There are big and little ties between the two games that veterans should mostly pick up on. If I miss anything of particular significance, feel free to let the thread know in spoiler tags.

Updates

Opening Act: The Black-Haired Woman

Part I: The Story We Began
Part II: The Vengeance We Started

First Act: The Red Hot Flames of Revenge

Part III: The Icecaps We Braved
Part IV: The Allies We Made
Part V: The Fortress We Conquered
Part VI: The Savior We Saw
Part VII: The Jobs We Did
Part VIII: The Villa We Raided
Part IX: The Hero We Fought

Second Act: The Azure Ocean of Revelation

Part X: The Paths We Traveled
Part XI: The Fighter We Battled
Part XII: The Sickness We Cured
Part XIII: The Tower We Climbed
Part XIV: The Truths We Found
Part XV: The Island We Claimed
Part XVI: The Land We Explored
Part XVII: The Prisoner We Met
Part XVIII: The Place We Revisited
Part XIX: The Bond We Severed
Part XX: The One We Confronted

Third Act: The Silver Road of Fate

Part XXI: The Resolve We Showed
Part XXII: The Creed We Honored
Part XXIII: The Power We Witnessed
Part XXIV: The Moment We Shared
Part XXV: The World We Changed

Final Act: Crimson Skies, the Future We Saw

Part XXVI: The Visitors We Greeted
Part XXVII: The Scores We Settled
Part XXVIII: The Stories We Concluded, Part 1
Part XXVIII: The Stories We Concluded, Part 2
Part XXIX: The Planet We Beheld
Part XXXI: The Tales We Told
Part XXX: The Horizon We Sought

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
:siren: This LP was written with the expectation you have already read my Tales of Berseria LP, which was completed just prior to beginning this game :siren:

The second half?

The second half. Zestiria was, as already mentioned, the game released before Berseria was. It was essentially developed as the Tales' Series 20th anniversary game and got a lot of pre-release hype and anticipation for it because of that, and it was a major project for Tales Studio. After its release, well, opinions, let's say, diverged on it. My general impression of what I've heard of it is that, while it's certainly not without its merits, it's just not as polished or compelling as some prior entries.

I'll just come out and say my two cents on it, at least from what I remember of it from more than a half decade ago, when I last played this game. Is it better than Berseria? I wouldn't say so. There's all kinds of little things, none exactly deal-breaking, that conspire to bring down the final product. Is it as bad as I've usually seen it portrayed? Again, I would say no. I remember thinking after I first finished Berseria I didn't think it was *that* much of an improvement. They basically have the same gameplay, but of course, there's a lot of gimmicks that are in both titles to give both a unique identity. Whether I'll still feel that way by the end, well, we'll just have to see.

Tales of Zestiria the X?

Yes, there was a 26-episode anime adaptation of this game, emphasis on "adaptation". The series aired back in 2016-2017 and is generally seen as the superior version of the story, insofar as the game and anime's plots can be compared. Apart from some very broad similarities, though, the game and anime do play out significantly differently, with the anime emphasizing the roles of many minor and sort of major characters while necessarily pushing others into the background. The anime also makes a lot of big changes to the way the plot plays out. It would really belabor the point to point out *every* difference between the anime and game, so if you wanna see how everything compares by the end, I do encourage you to check it out. Any differences of particular import, though, I will point those out as I see fit.

There is actually another adaptation of Zestiria, called Tales of Zestiria: Dawn of the Shepherd. This bonus Blu-ray was available as a pre-order bonus from some places, I believe, that adapts the opening act of the story pretty faithfully. What's covered in Dawn of the Shepherd is basically all of Part I of the Zestiria half of this thread, but it's animated, so there's that at least.

Zestiria the X also adapts a very small part of Berseria, namely the prologue sequence on Titania. It embellishes proceedings a bit, but it all basically plays out the same way.

Spoiler Policy

Again, standard stuff. No spoilers either for the anime's comparisons with the game or the game's plot itself. As always, anything I mention in an update, feel free to consider it not a spoiler or no longer one.

Updates

Opening Act: The Boy in Blue

Part I: The Dawn of a Shepherd
Part II: The Festival of a Blade

First Act: The Path Stained by an Ebony Shadow

Part III: The Power of a Hero
Part IV: The Perils of a Journey
Part V: The Roar of a Mountain
Part VI: The Sickness of a City
Part VII: The Din of a Battlefield

Second Act: A Golden World Waiting to Shine

Part VIII: The Depths of a Ruin
Part IX: The Land of an Empire
Part X: The Rain of a Capital
Part XI: The Path of an Adventure
Part XII: The Mysteries of a Country
Part XIII: The Trials of a Pilgrimage
Part XIV: The Wind of a Canyon

Third Act: So Many Colors in the Rainbow Future

Part : The ■■ of a ■■
Part XV: The Parting of a Friend
Part XVI: The Continuation of a Road
Part XVII: The Shining of a Jewel
Part XVIII: The Truth of an Age
Part XIX: The Resolution of a Conflict
Part XX: The Light of a Star

Final Act: The White Light that Will Never Be Dirtied

Part XXI: The Crisis of a Village
Part XXII: The Tales of a Troupe
Part XXIII: The End of a Dream
Part XXIV: The Advent of an Aurora, Part 1
Part XXV: The Mysteries of a World

■■ Act: A Blooming Lilac that Paves Her Way

Part XXVI: The Strength of a Knight
Part XXVII: The Pride of a Princess

Falling Act

Part XXVIII: The Advent of an Aurora, Part 2

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 13, 2023

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part I: The Story We Began

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
I’ve never been that interested in Zestiria, but oh man is Berseria one of my favorite games I can’t play for physical reasons. It has a very interesting tone that manages to condemn the actions of the characters while leaving them sympathetic, and the world it portrays is dark in a way that really sells how hosed up things are without it getting overwhelming, grimdark, or completely hopeless. Doesn’t hurt how sapphic it gets either.

Any reason you’re using this particular format? Both in why you picked screenshot over video (I was surprised that link didn’t lead me to YouTube, you may want to make that clear in the OP since I would have probably just stopped after the first video instead of sticking around) and why you’re putting things in the test post instead of straight in the thread. I don’t really have a problem with it, but I’m curious.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

I’ve never been that interested in Zestiria, but oh man is Berseria one of my favorite games I can’t play for physical reasons. It has a very interesting tone that manages to condemn the actions of the characters while leaving them sympathetic, and the world it portrays is dark in a way that really sells how hosed up things are without it getting overwhelming, grimdark, or completely hopeless. Doesn’t hurt how sapphic it gets either.

Any reason you’re using this particular format? Both in why you picked screenshot over video (I was surprised that link didn’t lead me to YouTube, you may want to make that clear in the OP since I would have probably just stopped after the first video instead of sticking around) and why you’re putting things in the test post instead of straight in the thread. I don’t really have a problem with it, but I’m curious.

I've been doing this for a while. Test posts cut down on the number of images per page and makes it more pleasant to navigate for everyone.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
I've always enjoyed how much darker (by Tales standards) Berseria is compared to most of the series. That entire opening arc just solidifies it. You're not regenerating the world, you're not stopping a poison fog, you're not helping the personification of god destroy world-eating tech... You're just out for pure revenge. It's quite the ride.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SMaster777 posted:

I've always enjoyed how much darker (by Tales standards) Berseria is compared to most of the series. That entire opening arc just solidifies it. You're not regenerating the world, you're not stopping a poison fog, you're not helping the personification of god destroy world-eating tech... You're just out for pure revenge. It's quite the ride.

I mean, this rear end in a top hat just ritually sacrificed his eleven years old brother-in-law for reasons and turned his sister-in-law into a demon daemon.
Velvet & most of her party are not exactly good people, quite the opposite, but they're loving saints compared to Artorius.

Falconier111 posted:

I’ve never been that interested in Zestiria, but oh man is Berseria one of my favorite games I can’t play for physical reasons. It has a very interesting tone that manages to condemn the actions of the characters while leaving them sympathetic.

:agreed:
Most of the party members are selfish, greedy and/or plain evil, but you get what made them that way and they at least have the good graces to stay focused on who deserves their revenge. Although to be fair they don't care about any collateral damage they do in their pursuit of revenge, they just don't go out of the way to cause it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Sylphid posted:

I've been doing this for a while. Test posts cut down on the number of images per page and makes it more pleasant to navigate for everyone.

Definitely, going into low activity lp's with 2-3 hundred images per page is a little bit more than not 52k friendly.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Not to mention test posts give me the power to end updates when they should, rather than having to abide by the forums' character limit. There's no way this first update would have fit in a forums post, but I ended the first update when it should have ended.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part II: The Vengeance We Started

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 11, 2021

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Nice for this to start about the same time I pick the game back up.

Interesting that you're going opposite of the release order--from what I understand, too, is that Zestiria is... less well received.

Admittedly, I've never played Zestiria.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Zestiria is definitely the inferior game but there are definitely things to commend it, in some places more than Berseria (for example, I consider the Zesty soundtrack a lot more memorable than Bersy). If Berseria is an 8 or 9 out of 10, Zestiria would be high 6 or 7 if you ask me, as much as I hate rating things via numbers.

But, take that for what it's worth, since I have fairly loose standards when it comes to what I'll say was good or not. As long as a game is not actively awful to play or something like that, I'll probably say it was good at the end of the day. It's a lot more evident Zesty had a rougher development cycle, which reflects a lot of the odd choices that are in the final game, but I didn't consider any of them particular dealbreakers.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Sylphid posted:

Zestiria is definitely the inferior game but there are definitely things to commend it, in some places more than Berseria (for example, I consider the Zesty soundtrack a lot more memorable than Bersy).

If I remembered correctly, Berseria dungeon music is lame. There's even no BGM inside cave based dungeon.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Haha I was literally starting to put together some plans for Zestiria but I was gonna go the complete opposite route and go open spoilers/burn it all down. What timing, huh?

Anyway Berseria is really good and feels the best to play more or less since Graces, so despite a lot of small stuff like a lackluster soundtrack it gets a pass for being ridiculously fun.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Artix posted:

Haha I was literally starting to put together some plans for Zestiria but I was gonna go the complete opposite route and go open spoilers/burn it all down. What timing, huh?

To be honest, although I've been working on the pre-written updates for this thread for about a month and a half now, I had to double-check the Master List and the Archive to see if anyone had done either of these games before now right before posting this thread. No one having done Bersy before surprised me, Zesty less so. Especially considering how much of the Tales series had been LP'd before now.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Artix posted:

Please do still; I have never seen a game crash and burn in nearly every aspect the way Zestiria does. It is the only game I've ever finished out of spite. The fact that the anime adaptation goes in a complete different direction is a marked improvement in every way.

Berseria's great though, and I hope people enjoy it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Sylphid posted:

To be honest, although I've been working on the pre-written updates for this thread for about a month and a half now, I had to double-check the Master List and the Archive to see if anyone had done either of these games before now right before posting this thread. No one having done Bersy before surprised me, Zesty less so. Especially considering how much of the Tales series had been LP'd before now.

Even though it’s been going for like a decade now, the Archive does have a few notable holes left to fill. I was kind of stunned that Katawa Shoujo didn’t have an entry there given how prominent it was in its time.

Also, Loegres (or Logres) is in fact roughly Arthurian England :eng101:. Specifically, it’s descended from the Welsh word for the rough southeastern third of Britain (which later evolved into the Welsh word for England in general). For context, Cambria was the rest of England and the southern part of Scotland, Alba/Albany was the rest of Scotland, and Cornwall was Cornwall. Etymologically, it probably derives from a Welsh word meaning “outsiders”, as opposed to Cambria and Cymru, local names for Wales that translate to “countrymen”. Had the Anglo-Saxons treated that name like they did most regional names, we could have ended up with a major part of the British Isles called Cumland, but no, we had to go with a Germanic word meaning “foreigners live here” instead :negative:.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Your Everyday NEET posted:

If I remembered correctly, Berseria dungeon music is lame. There's even no BGM inside cave based dungeon.

I tend to play it while listening to podcasts. I know a whole bunch of people will consider it heresy to even consider it, but I find a lot of the Tale of music very samey.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is that really that controversial? I thought it was broadly pretty accepted that Tales music was generally pretty samey and peak "Sakuraba-phoning-it-in". Most of the actual standout tracks are other composers, like in Zestiria there's a couple dungeon themes that really pop and are coincidentally written by Go Shiina.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Some people have a soft spot for certain early Tales songs, I’d guess (Fighting of the Spirit from all the way back in Phantasia is likely one of the bigger ones, but no I’d absolutely buy that. Sakuraba’s best work really is elsewhere (Mario Sports, Golden Sun, Dark Souls, Valkyrie Profile, the arrangement of Wood Man he did for Smash, Baten Kaitos…).

I’d absolutely buy that Fury Sparks, the one Vesperia song that people actually remember, was Hibiki Aoyama and not him.

See also Legendia, which I haven’t listened to all the way but iirc is all Shiina and has one of the better soundtracks for Tales on the whole.

But hey, almost all my Tales knowledge is LP-based.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Artix posted:

Is that really that controversial? I thought it was broadly pretty accepted that Tales music was generally pretty samey and peak "Sakuraba-phoning-it-in". Most of the actual standout tracks are other composers, like in Zestiria there's a couple dungeon themes that really pop and are coincidentally written by Go Shiina.

All I know is, the last time I dared disparage the music in a Tales of game, it made a lot of people very upset at me. Same with when I said a lot of the music in the Disgaea games blended together, but that's another story for another thread

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'd say Phantasia is overall the strongest Tales soundtrack mostly by Sakuraba, but obviously that all was a long time ago. There's been occasional mostly good soundtracks, like Symphonia or Abyss, and some with some good tracks, like X2, but I do agree they should have gotten a new main composer a while ago.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Artix posted:

Anyway Berseria is really good and feels the best to play more or less since Graces, so despite a lot of small stuff like a lackluster soundtrack it gets a pass for being ridiculously fun.

JordanKai posted:

: Has anyone LPed game XYZ before?

: The answer to this can be found in the master list - details are above. However it is worth noting that there is no rule nor stigma towards LPing a game that has been done before. Don't rush to LP a game in case someone beats you to it. No one cares about who LPed Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare first except for you.

This counts :colbert:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I didn't say it was going to stop me! Although I feel there is a little bit of difference between "not LPing a game because it's already been done" and "not LPing a game because another thread is definitely going to cover the same ground, but in a way that would arguably ruin it for the other guy". :v:

AweStriker posted:

Some people have a soft spot for certain early Tales songs, I’d guess (Fighting of the Spirit from all the way back in Phantasia is likely one of the bigger ones, but no I’d absolutely buy that. Sakuraba’s best work really is elsewhere (Mario Sports, Golden Sun, Dark Souls, Valkyrie Profile, the arrangement of Wood Man he did for Smash, Baten Kaitos…).

I’d absolutely buy that Fury Sparks, the one Vesperia song that people actually remember, was Hibiki Aoyama and not him.

That's because it is.

E: Also it is admittedly very funny when Sakuraba phones it in so hard he takes large parts of his previous, better work. Looking squarely at you, Tales of Arise and your battle theme stolen straight out of Baten Kaitos Origins.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 12, 2021

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Artix posted:

I didn't say it was going to stop me! Although I feel there is a little bit of difference between "not LPing a game because it's already been done" and "not LPing a game because another thread is definitely going to cover the same ground, but in a way that would arguably ruin it for the other guy". :v:

Nothing wrong with having two dueling LPs of why the game is good/bad.

I did enjoy Berseria though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part III: The Icecaps We Braved

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This will be hilarious as Berseria is my favorite game in the series while Zesteria is my most despised

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Sylphid posted:

Oh yeah, and a leaf icon on the mini-map represents where you picked an herb. They don't respawn, so the notice is kinda pointless...

??

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Chalk it up to a lot of Bersy being hazy to me. That said, it's easy to overlook herbs in these games because I never use them. Unless you have a really easy source of them (i.e. Symphonia) I just let the weeds keep growing in the closet dimension all the spare items I pick up go into and almost never come out.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Does Velvet’s voice sound forced and growly because her VA is trying and failing to make her seem intimidating? Or is it because she’s spent three years eating people as her only social interaction, leaving her so awkward that trying to puff herself up is all she can do when she socializes? You decide!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

If I remember correctly "time" in this case is on the order of tens of hours, so you're not exactly likely to ever bother to harvest anything a second time.

Berseria is definitely my favorite Tales game, and Zesteria is probably my least favorite Tales game. I do think Berseria does a really good job of showing how a good "evil" party dynamic works - there are a lot of ways to have people be more or less loyal to their comrades (sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for self-preservation, etc.) while they work together towards a common goal and still have them be utter bastards to people in the process.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Bersy's villainous party is a good example of how to do it well, rather than the God of War III-style of villain protagonist where, given the implied number of completely innocent lives you've taken by the end of it, you're at the far, far south pole of the moral compass. It does help the party's sympathy points that daemons are still capable of rational thought / intelligent conversation, unlike if they just became rabid beasts upon transformation. Well, it might depend on how long a person is transformed. Velvet and Rokurou have always seemed to be in control of their mental faculties, but presumably the Aball villagers she slaughtered in the prologue were not.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Sylphid posted:

Bersy's villainous party is a good example of how to do it well, rather than the God of War III-style of villain protagonist where, given the implied number of completely innocent lives you've taken by the end of it, you're at the far, far south pole of the moral compass. It does help the party's sympathy points that daemons are still capable of rational thought / intelligent conversation, unlike if they just became rabid beasts upon transformation. Well, it might depend on how long a person is transformed. Velvet and Rokurou have always seemed to be in control of their mental faculties, but presumably the Aball villagers she slaughtered in the prologue were not.

If I remember correctly, Velvet and Rokurou don't really do much of anything that harms humans (outside of battle of course). I would call them less "villains" and more "vilified" and it's not like most people run away from them in fear unless they somehow find out they are demons. NPCs talk to them fairly freely and kids come up to Velvet a few times without being scared by her. Hell, their motivations are pretty simple and small (Velvet wants revenge on Arthur for her and Laphicet and Rokurou has a story that we'll get to later). The only people that are hostile to them is the church and their exorcists from what I remember.

As to other demons, other than being monsters that may at times go berserk, most of the demons we meet don't really act like "demons" outside of a few criminals who I could argue would be criminals even if they were human.

That does remind me that i never finished this game, nor have I played Zesteria. This is my first PC Tales game since I upgraded my machine back in 2019. I'm up to the part after we got the full party and learned a major plot-twist Therions are like the mouths of the big evil and when they feed, that energy gets passed down to it or something and Velvet is the main Therion, so I may have missed some stuff or might be wrong on some of it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

They did just empty a whole prison’s worth of people into the swords of the guards so the three of them could escape. Let’s not get TOO hasty.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And, let's be totally fair, pre-Advent if there was an outbreak of daemonblight in your town, apparently there was absolutely nothing you could do about it. It was just a throwaway line between Niko and that shopkeeper but the Midgand Empire's military was completely helpless against the daemons. The party may not usually go out of their way to involve neutral parties, but the world is a lot less safe of a place with Velvet in it.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

If I remember correctly "time" in this case is on the order of tens of hours, so you're not exactly likely to ever bother to harvest anything a second time.

The game tooltip is misleading in that it mentions time at all. A better way of describing the respawn mechanics is that there are always at least 50 herbs spawned somewhere in the world, and if picking an herb makes it go below that number, then a random already-picked herb will respawn.

You start out with a little over a hundred herbs in the world, so once you're a little more than halfway through you can start seeing respawns. And of course, once you hit that point, it's a constant leave-a-penny take-a-penny from then on: every herb you pick will cause another one to respawn.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
A thousand apologies for not updating in a week. While Part IV is ready to go, unfortunately I moved last week and it does not seem like my ISP is particularly invested in helping me actually pay my bills so I can start using the internet in my new place. Keep getting non-answers at the best of times and no answers most of the time. I'll have to keep working through it but just wanted to provide an update as to why I've gone dark this past week.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I’m still here OP :patriot:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Let's try this again...

Part IV: The Allies We Made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And now that we've reached the point in this LP where the pre-written updates have all been posted (with the exception of the first part of V), it's time for outfit customization to be a part of this thread. Like I said in the OP, every 3-4 updates I'll choose someone new to choose outfits for everyone in the party. Anyone not chosen is up to me. Your accessories this time are...

Berseria Accessories posted:

Hat
Top Hat
Ten Gallon Hat
Pirate Hat
Shiba Inu Ears
Black Shiba Inu Ears
Angel Halo
Horns
Noise-Canceling Headphones
Earmuffs
Elf Ears
Sideburns
Pampadour
Right-Swept Bangs
Left-Swept Bangs
Bedhead
Bushy Eyebrows
Eizen's Glasses
Square Glasses
Sunglasses
Colored Sunglasses
Aviator Sunglasses
Black Sunglasses
X-Ray Glasses
Angry Glasses
Laughing Glasses
Monocle
Swordsman's Eyepatch
Pirate's Eyepatch
Rosy Cheeks
Single Flare Plug (Left / Right Ear)
Earring Right / Left
Mustache
Servant's Bow Tie
Servant's Ribbon Tie
Collar
Pirate's Brooch
Hibiscus Corsage
Rose Corsage
Spyglass
Devil Tail
Lady's Pirate Hat
Parrot
Great Pirate's Eyepatch
Pirate Monocle
Okitsune Ears
Plum Blossom Hairpin
Blue Bow
Pocket Watch
Spirius Shot (Left/Right)
Hubert's Spectacles
Arche's Earring
Atakk Card Silk Hat
Bienfu Card Silk Hat
Normin Card Silk Hat (basically mascot characters in Zesty / Bersy)
Winter Hat
Royal Crown
Fish King's Crown
Therapy Cat
White / Black Bunny Ears
Afro Puff
Frameless Glasses
Round Glasses
Angel / Devil Wings
Shiba / Black Shiba Inu Tail
Lizard Tail
Danger Jr. (Yuri doll)
Huggable Sophie
Mini-Jude
Mini-Milla
Mini-Ludger
Mini-Lloyd
Mini-Marta
Bookworm Sorey
Mini-Normin
Ride-Along Bienfu
Fluffy Repede
Fluffy Rollo
Lady's Pirate Hat
Parrot
Exotic Bandanna
Viking Helmet
Rin Shibuya / Anzu Futaba / Kirari Moroboshi Headwear (idol hats)
Atwight (sword)
Royal Rapier
Natalia's Quiver
Ostentatious Ribbon

And then as for costumes, these have no costume restrictions like accessories. Everyone has a set of Normin costumes (void, earth, wind, water, flame, and regular) that gives them either a Normin Head (for the hairstyle choice) and/or Normin Body (again, these are mascot characters), a hat style (intended for hat-wearers), Bienfu head / body (THIS game's mascot character, he appears briefly in the OP), a pirate style, and rounding out the crew, Legacy haircuts.

Eizen gets a Regular Outfit, Jacketless Outfit, Color Variant (red coat and gray undershirt), Hot Spring Outfit, Serving Clothes, Swimwear, Winter Clothes, Boss Clothes (that samurai outfit he was wearing in his first scene), a pirate outfit, and his Legacy outfit, which is a blue coat, teal undershirt, and large white boots.

Number Two gets a Fairytail haircut, a winter style haircut with the top part of a parka, and a Legacy haircut where his cowlick sticks to the side instead of up. He gets a color variant with a green coat, hot spring, jacketless, serving clothes, swimwear, winter clothes, village clothes, a Legacy outfit consisting of a black cape, black boots, white shirt, Fairytale costume where he looks like the Mad Hatter, his pirate outfit is a Viking-like costume

Rokurou's Legacy haircut has slightly shorter bangs in the front covering his right eye, Pirate gives him a long, spiky mullet, he gets a Jacketless outfit, color variant with gray clothes, hot spring, serving, swimwear, winter clothes, Ludger's outfit from Xillia 2 for Legacy, and he was wearing his Pirate outfit in Update II.

Velvet's unique haircuts are hat style and villager style (with the long ponytail), her Menagerie style gives her a very long ponytail that goes to her knees, her legacy style is also a very long ponytail, her Rin Shibuya haircut is long, flowing black hair (much like her regular but a lot less messy), Fairytale style gives her another long ponnytail that's tied up in a couple places, Japon style gives her twintails, and another long ponytail that's bushier than the previous. As for her costumes, she gets jacketless, color variant (blue undershirt and coat), Villager clothes, Prisoner clothes (ripped-up version of Villager), Hot Spring, Serving, Swimwear, a blue menagerie outfit, her Legacy outfit is Rutee from Tales of Destiny, Rin Shibuya, Fairytale outfit that makes her look like Alice, Japon clothes that gives her a ninja getup, and Pirate outfit that looks like a cool pirate queen.

I won't be coy and pretend I don't know who the final two party members are, Magilou and Eleanor, but I won't add them to this post until they officially join the roster. I'll be linking this post in the OP so everyone I choose knows exactly what they're choosing. Not only the outfits, but also the positioning / color of accessories are also at your discretion. If you specify nothing, I will assume you want the Default option.

Falconier, why don't you start us off?

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 26, 2021