Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

More Russia, this time Irkutsk!

Wikipedia posted:

Irkutsk (/ɪərˈkutsk/ eer-KOOTSK; Russian: Иркутск, IPA: [ɪrˈkutsk]; Buryat and Mongolian: Эрхүү, Erhüü, [ɛrˈxuː]) is the largest city and administrative center of Irkutsk Oblast, Russia. With a population of 617,473 as of the 2010 Census, Irkutsk is the 25th largest city in Russia by population, the 5th largest in the Siberian Federal District, and one of the largest cities in Siberia.

Many distinguished Russians were sent into exile in Irkutsk for their part in the Decembrist revolt of 1825, and the city became an exile-post for the rest of the century. Some historic wooden houses still survive. When the railway reached Irkutsk, it had earned the nickname of "The Paris of Siberia."

If sitting in an train carriage for 5 days while reading books and eating supermarket cup noodles in silence while endless birch forests roll outside sounds like a good time to you, I can heartily suggest taking a train from Moscow all the way to Irkutsk. It's seriously very nice. You can also continue to Mongolia and China by train! Speaking Russian is not really necessary, Russians are generally very helpful and just repeat whatever they said louder if you say that you don't speak Russian, staring at you until you accept whatever they said. (Learning Cyrillic alphabet is helpful, but you can spent some of the train ride doing that.)

Some pics from Irkutsk:

Rassol'nik, their gimmick is soviet nostalgia:

Uzbekistan restaurant (I think all Uzbek restaurants outside of Uzbekistan are just named "Uzbekistan restaurant"):

Doll House Ghost fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

A twenty-something Irkutskian, seen here

quote:

can confirm, would absolutely demolish

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
following the Eurovision finals I wanted to explore some of the countries I hadn't ever given much thought

Moldova. Uploads from google reviews at a wedding venue/restaurant in a town to the north

Some of the non-wedding photos from the same place

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
various other pics from the same town as the above, Edineț

kool public park

lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
and one last place since I finally found some classic Unidentifiable Foreign Foods™

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Sexy AF

Hmmm, what country am I in again? Better check the jug

Hello wedding spy, thank you for the marriage bread

Ah, to be young again like this lady

Fuckin sexy BEAST

quote:

Some of the non-wedding photos from the same place

Yeah I would, why not

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I dig this

quote:

Lenin says, "Dis fuggin guy ovah here"

quote:

What is going on here? Are those mattresses?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I believe that is a car on its side

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

and one last place since I finally found some classic Unidentifiable Foreign Foods™

Loaches....? Smelts....? I would, btw

Hell yeah, I love "family style", honestly I should do more of that. It would be super easy to be fat if not careful

School lunch in Moldova not so bad

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I believe that is a car on its side

Holy poo poo I see it now

What a time to be alive

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm tryna party in moldova

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i'm tryna party in moldova

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yes, I'll have the Simpson Titty Platter, please, with inverted nips.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

McGavin posted:

Yes, I'll have the Simpson Titty Platter, please, with inverted nips.

Very good, sir, would you like to include TruMeet™ bits and shaved coconut as well?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
i was served Plate Full Of Small Fish in mexico once, was incredible

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

My wife's family is from Slovakia (on her mother's side) and I've been interested in thier small town Krasny Brod

Krásny Brod (Rusyn: Красный Брід; Ukrainian: Красний Брід) is a village and municipality in the Medzilaborce District in the Prešov Region of far north-eastern Slovakia.
In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1557.
The municipality lies at an altitude of 301 metres and covers an area of 15.113 km˛. It has a population of about 425 people.

Krasny Brod website http://oukrasnybrod.sk/

I HIGHLY recommend you check out the photo galery on the official website for some sweet babushka action

Some food:

Cellar?

the only thing the town is known for

Shopping

????????????????

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i just can't get enough of these Moldovan weddings for some reason.

and finally heres a video of an actual wedding. i've timestamped to where the dancing starts getting more and more insane :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlMKBVbmpVk&t=42s

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

lol holy poo poo I started at the photos (Mask, I'm looking at you) and holy poo poo did it ramp up with that video.

*clicks button*
*music plays*
bladadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadap bladadadadadadadadadadadadadadadap HEY

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
This is the good poo poo.
they must get hyperbored at western european style weddings.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
holy poo poo that shreds. guess there's some overlap with romanian brass music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM4Djxm9DaU

random rear end weddings knocking riverdance out the loving box

edit: forgot to mention nude sandals hookah guy. we are all out here looking like squares. get your rear end to moldova

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Moldova seems like a perfectly nice place to spend a couple of weeks while you look for your Eastern European bride.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Moldova has quite the metal scene
https://www.metal-archives.com/lists/MD

Not listed, Infected Rain, a more popular Moldovan band

https://www.infectedrain.com/

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Picture Center: band frontperson, Lena Scissorhands

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Moldova has quite the metal scene
https://www.metal-archives.com/lists/MD

Not listed, Infected Rain, a more popular Moldovan band

https://www.infectedrain.com/

Wait gently caress I've seen those people live - they opened for Eluveitie in Oslo sometime before the pandemic. IIRC it was a fun concert. :)

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Wait gently caress I've seen those people live - they opened for Eluveitie in Oslo sometime before the pandemic. IIRC it was a fun concert. :)

Lol this is awesome

Side question, have you ever been to a Moldovan wedding?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Doll House Ghost posted:

Thanks OP, I've been waiting for someone to do this thread!!

I was in South America just before corona times, and really liked it, especially Peru and the southern parts of Chile. I didn't really know a lick of Spanish beforehand but turns out, you learn pretty fast the basics if you have to. Didn't visit Ushuaia, but here are some pics from the island if Chiloé in Chile:

Hell yeah, I visited Chiloé once twenty-odd years ago and I'm pretty sure I've been inside this church. My dad combined a job trip [1] with a family vacation, we spent a good amount of time with the main people he worked with there and their families, and one of their kids got baptized while we were there so we got invited to the baptism. Cool as heck wooden church architecture, and ALL OF THE FOOD afterwards.

[1] From Norway, he worked in fish farming, his employer invested heavily in Chilean aquaculture, he did a bunch of trips to coordinate and exchange competence and such.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Groke posted:

Hell yeah, I visited Chiloé once twenty-odd years ago and I'm pretty sure I've been inside this church. My dad combined a job trip [1] with a family vacation, we spent a good amount of time with the main people he worked with there and their families, and one of their kids got baptized while we were there so we got invited to the baptism. Cool as heck wooden church architecture, and ALL OF THE FOOD afterwards.

[1] From Norway, he worked in fish farming, his employer invested heavily in Chilean aquaculture, he did a bunch of trips to coordinate and exchange competence and such.

Totally unrelated but your dad's job sounds rad as hell

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Totally unrelated but your dad's job sounds rad as hell

Pretty much was, yeah. Retired now, still loves messing around with boats and stuff.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Yakuza 0 got me looking at Dotonbori, Osaka, Japan

the above sign actually moves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXYDRZOFRYg

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Right when I saw that, all I could think of was Trump's dumb angry face.

edit: probably this one

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Apparently this running guy ad is so famous it almost represents Osaka (??? Wikipedia) so I better post it

Now I was curious about the crab restaurant

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Osaka's super chill, hung out there a few years back. Between cheap booze, watching street performers breakdancing to the beats from their pimped out cars and delicious food, there was expo park with this giant loving statue. I was walking towards the park and it was visible from the distance, like some kinda giant monster looming over the lands waiting to give me a hug.

It was pretty wild seeing the thing up close.

The park itself was also pretty chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Dope AF

I would love to visit Japan but I feel like I would miss so much that's right in front of my face because of the significant differences in cultures and I am not subtle enough