Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
For the love of god, Seven Nation Army and Kernkraft are like 30 year old songs now. Please learn some new crap for football games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bonzo posted:

…clarinet (the rental place was out of saxophones)

:same:

I really really really wanted to play saxamaphone, but they were all out of them at the music store. Pretty sure my clarinet is still at my parent’s house stored away somewhere. I’d love to find it and give it a crack again after nearly thirty years.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sourdough Sam posted:

For the love of god, Seven Nation Army and Kernkraft are like 30 year old songs now. Please learn some new crap for football games.

Geeze, next you'll say we should stop playing the horse

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Obama2 posted:

Which style of marching band were you guys in? Military style marching band, or fufu fruity fairy style?

erotic sexual gross nude marching band

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

:same:

I really really really wanted to play saxamaphone, but they were all out of them at the music store. Pretty sure my clarinet is still at my parent’s house stored away somewhere. I’d love to find it and give it a crack again after nearly thirty years.

I picked up a trumpet 20 something years after 5th and 6th grade band and I couldn’t do the vibrating lips thing anymore.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Basically my whole life was band from middle school until a few years ago (I’m almost 35 now)

- Band all 4 years in HS, marching and concert. Bass drum, 2 years of timpani, then quads
- WGI indoor percussion for 4 years in HS, timpani all 4 years
- 1 year of college marching band, bass drum (it was beneath me lol)
- majored in Music Composition in college as a percussionist
- 4 years of Div I drum corps, timpani
- 2 years teaching Div I drum corps, front ensembles
- 1 year as caption head and front ensemble arranger of a world class indoor drumline
- 3 years on an NFL drumline, bass drum
- consultant and arranger for high school percussion sections for many years

When I saw this thread in GBS I started vibrating and I didn’t know what to talk about first. Anyone who wants to can ask questions, I’m an open book

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Ralph Hurley posted:

In my school fifth grade was when band and orchestra started. There was a day where anyone who wanted to play an instrument signed up any you met with the band and orchestra teachers to help everyone figure out what instrument they wanted. I thought I might want to play a brass or woodwind of some kind.

However, band day was let’s say Monday and orchestra day was Tuesday. I was out sick on band day, so I ended up picking violin the next day which I wasn’t too into because orchestra seemed less fun to me than band.

I gave orchestra a shot, kind of liked violin. I kept it up until the beginning of seventh grade where things got more serious. Unlike me, the other orchestra kids must have practiced over the summer because some of them got really good and I still sucked and was losing interest. I still wanted to play an instrument but at that point it was too late to just pick a new one I had no experience with. So I quit music and joined study hall with the rest of the untalented kids.

Enter my restless teenage limbs. I could not sit still, tapped on things, tapped my feet, constantly got told to please loving stop fidgeting. One day my older cousin was visiting and I was banging on some buckets or something and he commented that I was pretty good at that and I should learn the drums. Learning an instrument outside the context of school that wasn’t for the purpose of supporting the sports teams never crossed my mind before. My dad took me to the local music store. We met the guy who worked there who taught drum lessons, he let me try out one of the kits and that was it.

I took lessons there until I graduated high school. I worked and saved up money for a used kit which my parents were cool enough to let me go apeshit on in the basement every day after school. I got good at drums without ever having to put on a dorky uniform or pretend to give a poo poo about the Big Game. More importantly I learned how to play rock music and my teacher let me borrow his records. As a gift he gave me his vinyl copy of Court of the Crimson King which I still have. I had a way to focus my nervous energy and get exercise without the school being involved and turning everything into a competition to be graded on. Another thing was he gave the lessons on one of those 80s style electronic kits so I ended up getting an intro to MIDI and effects and stuff like that which I would never have been exposed to in school band.

Sophomore year, word got around to the older punks who I looked up to that I played drums and they invited me to join their band. Suddenly I had these cool older friends who liked the same music I liked. We played Misfits and Minor Threat covers mostly and we never really had a bass player but it was fun as poo poo. Sometimes we underage drank a few beers. I think we were called No Big Deal.

tldr: played drums in a lovely garage punk band instead of being a marching band nerd

My dad taught me guitar at the same time i was playing sax in the nerd bands. I never got good enough to play with a group but i understand where you're coming from, a lot of people probably would enjoy music even more learning it the way you did. Unfortunately a lot of people can't really afford to get good lessons for their kids. Public school provides the education free of charge and my parents just rented my sax for a long time. I remember my dad selling his good guitar to buy me an old beat up sax that was better than the basic student model. We just didn't have much money at all so i was lucky to have a former musician for a dad otherwise i never would have learned guitar.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

timp posted:

- 3 years on an NFL drumline, bass drum
the rest of these idiot nerds might not care but this sounds like an amazing loving job to me I have so many questions, like what team, why'd you quit, was pay good, any stories etc etc

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
re: lessons, is there any like uh consensus on just having the instrument and playing what you like on it? does that make you only learn lovely habits?

cause i just did concert and jazz band in school and played what i wanted (james brown basically) once i got a dog poo poo drum kit at home. I've since spent 20 years just playing licks I heard that I liked and improvising.

like i hadn't attempted a paradiddle since i was like 16 and then i realized a lot of like, clyde stubblefield snare-and-hat patterns are basically paradiddles or very close variants.

I guess I probably have zero "chops" but i've had a lot of fun playing with friends in bands and have made stuff i believe sounds good. So maybe lessons (or even good school programs) aren't the only way? or is it a guarantee that i suck for only just playing for fun and not doing "warm-ups" and poo poo?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

a creepy colon posted:

the rest of these idiot nerds might not care but this sounds like an amazing loving job to me I have so many questions, like what team, why'd you quit, was pay good, any stories etc etc

Carolina Panthers. I wouldn’t say I quit per se, but I am taking some time off I guess. The contract goes from April-March and you have to re-audition every year. I definitely could have kept doing it, but a new director had taken over in my 3rd year and I didn’t really love the beats we were playing. They got a little watered down imo. Also, a lot of my friends I’d made the first year all quit after my 2nd year so I wasn’t having as much fun with it. And now I have a kid so it’ll probably be a few years before I consider doing it again. I probably will do it again one day though!

Pay was minimum wage, Weekly rehearsals and a full 8 hour schedule of playing on game days (home games only, no travel). $60 for long appearances and $30 for short ones. Plus a poo poo ton of really nice Nike team apparel that I still wear to this day. Also you got 2 comped nosebleed tickets to each game, and when we were doing really well in 2015 you could get some decent money selling those.

TBH I don’t have a lot of cool stories re: meeting players or doing anything super exclusive, but I also probably take for granted the sort of access I had. I got to watch every home game for 3 years while standing on the field, including a nearly perfect season and post-season at home in 2015. Got lots of Jumbotron love which was always fun to hear about from my coworkers at the office the next day :)

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Saw my mom for the first time in a year and a half for Thanksgiving. She brought a couple boxes from home to pawn back off on me like yearbooks and stuff. Turns out my old baritone/euph mouthpiece was in a box, and the same night my wife's uncle invited me to sit in with his brass band since they're short. Pretty cool coincidence to ignore, picking up a loaner euph on Tuesday to get my chops back. 🙂

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

timp posted:

- majored in Music Composition in college as a percussionist

describe one of your compositions using onomatopoeia (e.g. boom tss boom tss badoom pssh ba pow badoomp doomp doompa boom tss etc etc.)

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I had a lovely band director so I took drum lessons from a local guy all through high school. He worked with me on rudiments and taught me more about playing drum set and exercises for coordination. He taught me how to read charts (for jazz) and how to transcribe drum parts. He got me into Jeff Porcaro (of Toto) and invited me to come see his Jazz trio perform. I actually started to roadie for him a bit because the old school Jazz guys have the best stories and love to tell dirty jokes.

I actually started University as a music education major but hated it after just two weeks. The school of music teachers were all stuffy and took all the fun out of playing. The conductors were creeps toward 1st and 2nd chair female string players and out right abusive to all other sections.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

describe one of your compositions using onomatopoeia (e.g. boom tss boom tss badoom pssh ba pow badoomp doomp doompa boom tss etc etc.)

Don't think I couldn't! But I won't, because I'm lazy. :)

It would be hard to put letters to some of the hosed up sounds I make with my mouth while communicating musical ideas. And tbh that's exactly how it should be, cause what's the point of music if you're just going to gently caress it up by trying to make it be words??

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Started in concert/marching band with bass clarinet, moved to contrabass clarinet (Which plays with the Sousaphones for some reason). Eventually ended up in the drum line playing bass drum and tri/quad toms, depending on what was needed at the time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

re: lessons, is there any like uh consensus on just having the instrument and playing what you like on it? does that make you only learn lovely habits?

cause i just did concert and jazz band in school and played what i wanted (james brown basically) once i got a dog poo poo drum kit at home. I've since spent 20 years just playing licks I heard that I liked and improvising.

like i hadn't attempted a paradiddle since i was like 16 and then i realized a lot of like, clyde stubblefield snare-and-hat patterns are basically paradiddles or very close variants.

I guess I probably have zero "chops" but i've had a lot of fun playing with friends in bands and have made stuff i believe sounds good. So maybe lessons (or even good school programs) aren't the only way? or is it a guarantee that i suck for only just playing for fun and not doing "warm-ups" and poo poo?

If you're just playing for fun, who cares? It never hurts to take lessons if you want to really improve your playing, and there are a ton of YouTube videos and online stuff if you want to go that route.

But ultimately, if your playing suits your needs, don't worry too much about it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

We've all been in or at this concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xLog21skqA

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

A lot of famous musicians are mostly self taught. Like Charlie Parker for example. You probably pick up some bad habits like maybe something can be played an easier way or something. I don't really know anything about percussion though. Seems like that would be harder to do "wrong". But yeah if you're talented (or maybe determined?) enough it doesn't matter as much to get formal education on music compared to lots of other things.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

With drums I'd say take a few lessons so you learn how to hold the sticks. All the action is between your thumb and index finger but if you do it wrong you could injure your wrist. But you've been doing this for 20 years so I assume you've figured it out :-)

If you like Blues, play along with that. Everything is basically a shuffle and there's lot of room to experiment with just playing front and back beats or ghosting a few notes here and there. If you get lost its easy to find your place again. Old Western Swing music from the 50s is good too for learning to play waltzes. Sounds lame but you'll get good at feeling the beat and being able to sense where the music is going next. Pay close attention to the bass player.

Do this for a few months and you'll able to play with any Dad Band or just jam at an open mic night somewhere.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Bonzo posted:

With drums I'd say take a few lessons so you learn how to hold the sticks. All the action is between your thumb and index finger but if you do it wrong you could injure your wrist. But you've been doing this for 20 years so I assume you've figured it out :-)

If you like Blues, play along with that. Everything is basically a shuffle and there's lot of room to experiment with just playing front and back beats or ghosting a few notes here and there. If you get lost its easy to find your place again. Old Western Swing music from the 50s is good too for learning to play waltzes. Sounds lame but you'll get good at feeling the beat and being able to sense where the music is going next. Pay close attention to the bass player.

Do this for a few months and you'll able to play with any Dad Band or just jam at an open mic night somewhere.

Yeah I learned grips and whatnot in school on a snare and have spent 20 years since then ignoring protocols. I'm glad to have these responses from everybody. It's just something I've wondered about. Like, sometimes people I respect a lot talk about drumming like it's exercise and you must do loads of unfun poo poo to be any good, but then pretty purdie's "warmup" is like, messing around with a few different rhythms for five minutes.

And I'm more into later James Brown. Not the Famous Flames but the JBs. Funk era. 4/4 syncopated, no 6/8 swingin. Mother Popcorn poo poo.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Yeah I learned grips and whatnot in school on a snare and have spent 20 years since then ignoring protocols. I'm glad to have these responses from everybody. It's just something I've wondered about. Like, sometimes people I respect a lot talk about drumming like it's exercise and you must do loads of unfun poo poo to be any good, but then pretty purdie's "warmup" is like, messing around with a few different rhythms for five minutes.

And I'm more into later James Brown. Not the Famous Flames but the JBs. Funk era. 4/4 syncopated, no 6/8 swingin. Mother Popcorn poo poo.

Technique is a means to an end. If you commit to absorbing it and forcibly correcting bad habits, you will be able to play faster, louder, more intricate and difficult things. BUT.

People who try to learn with perfect technique from the start are going to be bored for a long time while they play baby poo poo like 8 On A Hand.
People who say gently caress technique and just jump right into trying to teach themselves their favorite songs by ear will have more fun, but they'll probably sound bad, and difficult stuff will always be out of the question.

In my experience, the best musicians start on their own, hit a wall where they can't play the stuff they want to play well, and THEN commit to learning good technique and chopping out and poo poo.

I was a percussion teacher for many years, teaching some middle schoolers (total beginners), mostly high schoolers, and some college-aged kids, and I have pretty strong feelings on this topic tbh. I am most certainly guilty of giving students a hard time for letting their thumb creep up onto the top of the stick, or locking their wrists and trying to play everything using only arm or only fingers, or even just straight up not hitting the drums hard and confidently enough. But despite being a stickler for technique in private lessons and ensemble settings, I always tried to keep sight of the fact that music is supposed to be fun, not a drag.

Join us in the percussion thread for more technique talk! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547037

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

timp posted:

In my experience, the best musicians start on their own, hit a wall where they can't play the stuff they want to play well, and THEN commit to learning good technique and chopping out and poo poo.

I played brass and guitars for years and occasionally I'd sit at a friend's kit and could bang out some straight basic rhythms, but never thought much about how the drums should actually be played.

Then the pandemic came and I bought a kit from a friend and started actually learning how to hold the sticks and got a practice pad and will sit when watching TV and do rudiments and I gotta say I think I'm getting where I can actually play like a decent drummer.

And I'm old so don't ever think it's too late to learn something.

fork banger
Jan 3, 2001

MattO posted:

I played brass and guitars for years and occasionally I'd sit at a friend's kit and could bang out some straight basic rhythms, but never thought much about how the drums should actually be played.

Then the pandemic came and I bought a kit from a friend and started actually learning how to hold the sticks and got a practice pad and will sit when watching TV and do rudiments and I gotta say I think I'm getting where I can actually play like a decent drummer.

And I'm old so don't ever think it's too late to learn something.

Hey, hope you've been well! Haven't posted much on here in years, but I saved some of your covers from back in the day - Superstar, Copacabana and Get Down Tonight. Recently I've been relistening to them all and they're great.

Was wondering if you had any better quality versions, any more covers - or even some way to donate? You definitely deserve kudos for your work.

Anyway - long shot but just wanted to reach out and say hey, and thanks.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

fork banger posted:

Hey, hope you've been well! Haven't posted much on here in years, but I saved some of your covers from back in the day - Superstar, Copacabana and Get Down Tonight. Recently I've been relistening to them all and they're great.

Was wondering if you had any better quality versions, any more covers - or even some way to donate? You definitely deserve kudos for your work.

Anyway - long shot but just wanted to reach out and say hey, and thanks.

Hey oo wow! Thanks!
I actually have those on soundcloud plus some other garbage
https://soundcloud.com/brobdingnagian
If I remember right some of those covers were SA song contest threads right? been so drat long

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

This might be the most Band Geek thing I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTRluWPw08M

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Someone had the army navy game on at work. I got irrationally angry when the half time show guys commented on the band forming up and then cut to commercial break.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I marched in school and then in drum corps. I've taught drums and percussion on and off since, music is still an every day part of my life. It's been interesting watching all my band nerd friends getting into accessible synthesizers independently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I haven't been in a band in years, but I did arrange Belgian paratroopers and other odds and ends into a euphonium solo. I'm kind of thinking some Joplin rags could be fun to play with.