Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm reminiscing about my college days and remembering being in the marching band. At my school it was actually kind of cool to be in the band, people love the marching band and the shows they put on.

If you want to know what it's like to be on the field in front of a huge crowd of people this video shows it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQzi_a8d-M

The hardest drill we would perform was the circle drill. I'm in this video somewhere. One time i got hit in the head with a trombone during the part that's about 4 minutes in. It's not for the faint of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQSv6aDFh8

Other perks included getting to go to all the games for free, and travel around the south also for free. We even got fairly generous meal stipends. The most fun i had was whenever we went to Florida. Although when we went in September it was horrendously hot and we had to wear the wool uniforms. That sucked balls. But going to the beach with a bunch of my friends for free was so fun!

We can discuss drum corps too if people are into that. It's kinda cheesy but the skill involved is really impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GMf43z_vc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dixville posted:

I'm reminiscing about my college days and remembering being in the marching band. At my school it was actually kind of cool to be in the band, people love the marching band and the shows they put on.

If you want to know what it's like to be on the field in front of a huge crowd of people this video shows it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQzi_a8d-M

The hardest drill we would perform was the circle drill. I'm in this video somewhere. One time i got hit in the head with a trombone during the part that's about 4 minutes in. It's not for the faint of heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQSv6aDFh8

Other perks included getting to go to all the games for free, and travel around the south also for free. We even got fairly generous meal stipends. The most fun i had was whenever we went to Florida. Although when we went in September it was horrendously hot and we had to wear the wool uniforms. That sucked balls. But going to the beach with a bunch of my friends for free was so fun!

We can discuss drum corps too if people are into that. It's kinda cheesy but the skill involved is really impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GMf43z_vc

3 years serving as trumpeter

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Play my skinflute you fuckman

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chief McHeath posted:

flutists aren't in the marching band.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

band nerds are the lowliest of all nerds.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

did you not see the seminal 1999 masterpiece American Pie

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Sophy Wackles posted:

Those of us doing Academic Quizbowl certainly looked down upon them for their noxious tooting. However they were not ROTCNazis or Mathletes.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

As a swedish person this whole 'marching band' thing is probably one of the most perplexing things about america. Couple of questions:

1. Why is this a thing?
2. Do people enjoy listening to marching band music? I get that its probably a blast to play in a marching band

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I saw the UT marching band at football games a bunch of times when I lived in Knoxville around 2000 for a few years. They are definitely really cool and hype OP.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

tractor man posted:

As a swedish person this whole 'marching band' thing is probably one of the most perplexing things about america. Couple of questions:

1. Why is this a thing?
2. Do people enjoy listening to marching band music? I get that its probably a blast to play in a marching band

High school football. And if your team is terrible and your marching band is terrible that’s a solid no on 2. My son’s school band played Bon Jovi’s “Dead or Alive” at EVERY halftime and it was excruciating.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

flutists aren't in the marching band.

Brits might argue with your definition there because they are flautistic

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

Szyznyk posted:

High school football. And if your team is terrible and your marching band is terrible that’s a solid no on 2. My son’s school band played Bon Jovi’s “Dead or Alive” at EVERY halftime and it was excruciating.

But do other people than the players parents watch the games? Are all youth athletics organized arouns schools in america?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

tractor man posted:

But do other people than the players parents watch the games? Are all youth athletics organized arouns schools in america?

High school football is very literally The Big Thing (sometimes The Only Thing) in a lot of Midwest towns.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm are marching bands not a thing in sweden? it's big in norway, 17th of may and all that

in norway, like i guess many other european countries, include woodwinds in their marching bands (i think we have most of our music customs from germany?)

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

the closest thing ive seen to a marching band was a samba band. which is way more horny

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I joined band as a sophomore in high school because I was dating a band nerd

I played the mellophone and I was not very good, but not terrible

Wish I would have wasted those electives in shop class instead tbh

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i play the smellophone

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

tractor man posted:

america is a land of contrasts...

try to think of it like europe. would you ask a question that general about europe?

there are a lot of places where school athletics don't matter for poo poo culturally. there are lots of sports that aren't school oriented.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

do e sport teams get marching bands too?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I miss playing tuba, too bad they cost so much

PsionicAnt
Jul 16, 2001
I was big bass drum man in hs. How many Monty Python marathons did you have on bus trips OP

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no links to sport teams here, mostly just bands belonging to one or several schools (elementary and up), or bands for adults

half time sport shows with marching bands arent a thing

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

meat police posted:

:hfive: fellow Sousaphonist. Hopefully you didn't have those awful fiberglass ones.

I actually switched to marching with a Sousa my junior year of high school. I grew up playing saxophone and originally marched with a Bari, but they made me go Tenor sophomore year since they were concerned about repair costs. Since I'm a big dumb idiot that lives bass lines and hates my back, I asked if I could switch if I learned Tuba.

So basically every lunch period my sophmore year I was in a practice room learning how to play the drat thing and read bass clef.

To be young and actually motivated, those were the days.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

tractor man posted:

1. Why is this a thing?
As a person whose Swedish grandfather emigrated in the early 1900s I can handle this one:

Tuba är mycket bra

The brass instrument-led march is an incredibly American form of music. I want to say it was the first generally-recognized kind of music to come out of America (not that we invented the concept), from half-remembered stories from my music doctorate ex-. John Phillip Sousa basically wrote the sound of every festival and nationalistic celebration 150 years ago and we are still feeling the effects now.

Edit: Also I was in marching band but I did the very un-American activity of "walking out on practice and never coming back" when a lovely older drum major told me I was moving my shoulders too much and had to go run two laps around the track. Dr. Quarex runs for no-one

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Piss is stored in the tuba

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

I never did marching band but I hung out with a lot of them in high school, y'all were pretty cool people OP.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

I LOVE BIG BAND GEEK TITTIES!!! :D

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My people. :unsmith: I played tuba in high school, and sousaphone in college.

For the record, I myself am not Tuba Mike. Tuba Mike was some guy that got an airgram during a competition and my friends & I thought that was the funniest coolest nickname ever, and so at the end of the airgram, we all decided to shout "Yeah, Tuba Mike!" in unison. I wish I could meet Tuba Mike. I bet he was/is cool.

meat police posted:

Same. Like, even a decent mouthpiece is $100+ iirc.

Dr. Quarex posted:

As a person whose Swedish grandfather emigrated in the early 1900s I can handle this one:

Tuba är mycket bra

Jepp, enig is it the same in Swedish and Norwegian? Jeg vet ikke

Infidel Castro posted:

:hfive: fellow Sousaphonist. Hopefully you didn't have those awful fiberglass ones.

I actually switched to marching with a Sousa my junior year of high school. I grew up playing saxophone and originally marched with a Bari, but they made me go Tenor sophomore year since they were concerned about repair costs. Since I'm a big dumb idiot that lives bass lines and hates my back, I asked if I could switch if I learned Tuba.

So basically every lunch period my sophmore year I was in a practice room learning how to play the drat thing and read bass clef.

I switched from pit to tuba. Going from standing there and tapping the glockenspiel on occasion to marching around with a tuba was hella jarring, but worth it.

Pimpcasso posted:

:hmmyes:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I played clarinet from second to eighth grade, switching to bass clarinet in seventh grade. Clarinet was fun, but bass clarinet was boss. Played in the Copper Bowl and a couple of parades, too. That was fun.

Never joined up in high school, unfortunately, because my new passion at the time was mariachi music. Took up the guitar and vihuela, and also taught myself guitarron and a little bit of trumpet since I was still a band geek at heart. That poo poo was fuckin’ rad! Played the Copper Bowl again, several parades, lots of small and large venues during mariachi conferences, lots of various venues as a for hire musician, and even played at Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm. drat, I miss those days :allears:

A band geek is a band geek. Mine just had violins and harp along with trumpets (and sometimes flutes).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pimpcasso posted:

I joined band as a sophomore in high school because I was dating a band nerd

I played the mellophone and I was not very good, but not terrible

Wish I would have wasted those electives in shop class instead tbh

Obvioufake post. All the band nerds were too busy taking turns dating each other to see other people.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody tells me what to do. This is what I figured out after all these years.

I'm not even going to post this in protest!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

FoolyCharged posted:

Obvioufake post. All the band nerds were too busy taking turns dating each other to see other people.

I only had one band boyfriend, sadly

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

my kid joined up for the Marching Band going into 9th grade so I bought them a nice Yamaha marching french horn then they get to school and band was like "we don't use those you need a mellophone"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao OP I was in pit percussion--I got to go ham on the sidelines without having to tap my little toes on the grass. A blessed existence.

*washes back with a rag on a stick*

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
We didn't have a marching band, our music dept was one person, a 70s jazz cat guy who was like a much nicer cooler version of JK Simmons' character in Whiplash. When he didn't feel like working he'd throw on Blues Brothers.

We did sometimes sit in the stands and play at football games, though that was the dregs for a program that regularly sent groups to the Montreux Jazz Festival for decades.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
How accurate was the hit motion picture Drumline OP?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Much like everything else about high school, I work desperately hard every day to forget my 4 years in marching band

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

meat police posted:

Infidel Castro posted:

YeahTubaMike posted:

My people. :unsmith: I played tuba in high school, and sousaphone in college.

Same. Like, even a decent mouthpiece is $100+ iirc.

Tuba people! For anybody really wanting to get back into playing, I'd highly recommend trolling craigslist and ebay. Particularly if you don't mind ugly, you can pick up stuff for drat cheap (my army of $10 mouthpieces pretty much all came from ebay). If any of you are serious about getting back into it, PM me, I really do have a shitload of mouthpieces and I wouldn't mind sending some away. Same with tubas, I have 21 of the loving things, about half need to go. I probably can't give them away like the mouthpieces, but I've got some I can let go for very cheap.

Can confirm that sousaphone destroyed my back, but marching band was the reason I did pep band in college, and that was some of the best fun I've ever had.

Pimpcasso posted:

Also candy and puke

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

A Small Car posted:

Tuba people! For anybody really wanting to get back into playing, I'd highly recommend trolling craigslist and ebay. Particularly if you don't mind ugly, you can pick up stuff for drat cheap (my army of $10 mouthpieces pretty much all came from ebay). If any of you are serious about getting back into it, PM me, I really do have a shitload of mouthpieces and I wouldn't mind sending some away. Same with tubas, I have 21 of the loving things, about half need to go. I probably can't give them away like the mouthpieces, but I've got some I can let go for very cheap.

Sent ya a PM. Although I'm pretty scared of what shipping costs would be lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

what the gently caress only on this dead gay website would an impromptu tuba meetup happen and also some adult human has 21 tubas