Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Animal-Mother posted:

Didn't let me watch Transformers because they heard it had magic in it.

What. I don't remember ANY magic in Transformers at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My folks were extremely conservative in what we were allowed to watch back then, things like Transformers and Fraggle Rock were forbidden because reasons. So naturally I managed to sneak watch them from time to time.

Not forbidden: Zoobilee Zoo, which I posit was far more damaging to my developing mind

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

My folks were extremely conservative in what we were allowed to watch back then, things like Transformers and Fraggle Rock were forbidden because reasons. So naturally I managed to sneak watch them from time to time.

Not forbidden: Zoobilee Zoo, which I posit was far more damaging to my developing mind

Holy poo poo I was convinced this show was a fever dream

E: hosted by Ben Vereen? What the actual gently caress.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yep! Pretty sure the cast were all broadway or equally skilled musical actors. Odd how it seems forgotten in the late Gen X/early Millennial queer and/or furry kid origin story - maybe it didn’t air nationally since it was a PBS show?

My father told me he and his brothers and friends would do poo poo like putting cherry bombs under tin cans and watch them rocket off, but nothing beats what his uncle and friends did way back when: break down and rebuild an entire horse-drawn carriage on a guy’s roof. Stupid at the time I suppose, but incredible awesome now

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Yep! Pretty sure the cast were all broadway or equally skilled musical actors. Odd how it seems forgotten in the late Gen X/early Millennial queer and/or furry kid origin story - maybe it didn’t air nationally since it was a PBS show?

Pretty sure I watched that show with my sister when I was a kid while living in the middle of nowhere Idaho, so I'd assume it was national. But I do kind of recall the timeslot was a bit weird.

I also spent most of my kid hood pretending to be an animal and didn't turn out to be a furry so Idunno how much of this stuff is "responsible" for people being furries later in life, who knows

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My father told me he and his brothers and friends would do poo poo like putting cherry bombs under tin cans and watch them rocket off, but nothing beats what his uncle and friends did way back when: break down and rebuild an entire horse-drawn carriage on a guy’s roof. Stupid at the time I suppose, but incredible awesome now

I watched that show! I was a regular watcher of PBS when I was a wee child. I had completely forgotten about Zoobilee Zoo, but now it's all come rushing back. I was REALLY little when I watched it, like maybe 3 or 4? So that might have been when I was living in Pittsburg. Otherwise I would have seen it in Phoenix. Either way, yeah probably a national show.

I don't think my parents letting me watch it was particularly stupid, though. :shrug: I also pretended to be an animal all the time when I was a kid. Thing my dad did while watching TV that was actually stupid was channel surfing during commercial breaks of thing we were watching. Sooooooooooo many times he'd briefly land on a scene of a blood-covered knife, or somebody in the process of getting turned into a vampire or werewolf, or something equally scary or hosed up for a little kid to be seeing. I was very impressionable so that poo poo would give me nightmares for weeks. My babysitter made us watch a whole "true crime" or something show on MTV one night and I spent the next month afraid to go to sleep because I was worried I would be murdered in my sleep and never wake up. I just wanted to watch My Pet Monster, stupid babysitter! I was extremely afraid of the dark, too, so that didn't help matters.

So yeah a bunch of people dancing around wearing animal makeup was the least of my worries!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think my parents letting me watch it was particularly stupid, though. :shrug:

I was kidding about that part, folks in that kind of makeup just creeped me out when I was a little kid. Way too much stuff scared me even on children's shows back then.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

This was recently. My mother decided to buy one of those "Antique letters and notes, real and authentic" collections on eBay for $60. They arrived, and it was just a bunch of Hallmark cards from the past year, in old envelopes. She doesn't want to return it because it's "too much of a hassle".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Silegna posted:

This was recently. My mother decided to buy one of those "Antique letters and notes, real and authentic" collections on eBay for $60. They arrived, and it was just a bunch of Hallmark cards from the past year, in old envelopes. She doesn't want to return it because it's "too much of a hassle".

Lol, I need to have a kid to make this official, I just did something similar. I was looking for a particular out-of-print book that goes for a couple hundred bucks now, when I found an ebay seller selling a few for $20. I knew they had to be a scam, but they had an overwhelming number of good ratings so I decided to go for the 0.5% chance I might actually get it.

What showed up? A published version of printouts of the wikipedia article about that book as well as other random things, complete with a printed cover and table of contents! I wasn't really expecting anything, but the amount of work put into such a dumb scam tickled me enough that I wasn't even angry :buddy:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I need to have a kid to make this official, I just did something similar. I was looking for a particular out-of-print book that goes for a couple hundred bucks now, when I found an ebay seller selling a few for $20. I knew they had to be a scam, but they had an overwhelming number of good ratings so I decided to go for the 0.5% chance I might actually get it.

What showed up? A published version of printouts of the wikipedia article about that book as well as other random things, complete with a printed cover and table of contents! I wasn't really expecting anything, but the amount of work put into such a dumb scam tickled me enough that I wasn't even angry :buddy:

I did a similar thing, I ordered a book on eBay which was old but not super rare and they sent me a printed scan of the book and when I gave them a negative review they spammed my inbox with angry messages. The only indication on the eBay listing that it wasn't an original copy was that the condition was listed as 'new' (which I'd missed) and there was absolutely no other indication that it wasn't the actual book. If I'd wanted scans of the book I could have googled them for free and printed them off at home, and they hadn't even done a nice job of it: they'd printed the scans off on cheap office copy paper without trimming them down to size and they'd stapled the 'book' at the top of the page. They gave me a full refund in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

The amount of work put into it is 0, as it's all automated.