Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

In this thread, post stories about stupid poo poo your parents did. Stuff they did as kids? Good to go! Stuff they did as adults and should definitely have known better? Also good! No parents? No problem! Stupid poo poo your parental figures did also counts!

I'll start us off. For background, I grew up in Phoenix, AZ in the early 90s. The days before cell phones, when your car overheating on a long road trip was a very real concern.

We were on our way home from a road trip- me, my brother, my dad, and my mom, when we heard a horrific noise. I happened to glance out the car window and saw a large black piece of rubber go flying off onto the freeway. My dad pulled over, walked around the car, and did a little :rip: gesture with his hands. We all got out to look. The outer part of the tire had stripped away and the rest of the tire was shredded.

See, this was a "retread." A thing I'm not even sure they do to tires anymore. They would take old, bald tires and "recycle" them by gluing new treads to them. Doing such was cheaper than buying a whole new tire. Sounds great, right? Well... not in the middle of summer when it's 115 degrees F outside, as it was every goddamn day in the summer in Satan's rear end in a top hat.

So we had a bit of a problem. Stranded, on the freeway, in the middle of the dang desert, in the height of summer. And of course no cell phone. In such a situation you had to hoof it up or down the freeway until you found one of those emergency phone boxes to call yourself a tow truck to haul your sorry rear end back to town.

And this was kind of a problem, as it was aforementioned HOT AS loving BALLS out. So, Dad's plan is to walk back to a phone box while Mom waited by the car with the kids. Well... Mom wasn't having any of that. She, brain genius, wanted to... take us kids and hike through the desert to find... something? I am honestly not clear about what her gameplan was, but somehow my brother and I found ourselves walking through the scrub desert away from the freeway. In the middle of loving summer. In Phoenix. Without any water. I have no idea why my dad let us go...

I am not sure how long we ended up wandering around out there, but it felt like hours. And before long my brother and I were both parched. And being little kids we started to whine. Loudly. "I'm tiiiiiiiiiiiiiired, my feet hurt, I'm thirsty," etc. And to be fair, what we were doing was both stupid and dangerous. People legit die doing poo poo like that!

Eventually, by some miracle, we made it to a housing development. Yay for urban sprawl! We knocked on a stranger's door and begged them for water and use of their house phone, to which- probably after taking in our sorry, sweaty state, the homeowner gladly obliged.

Dad eventually caught back up to us, our car got towed, and Dad never bought a retread again.

So... all's well that ends well, but seriously Mom, that was loving stupid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My uncle brought my dad and I to help clean out a storage locker.

One of the contents is a revolver with a cylinder that got rusted shut, loaded. My dad is sitting trying to unload it. Refuses all help and advice. Whatever, so I'm working when all of a sudden I can't hear of one of my ears, yep he fired it.

He didn't know/realize pulling the hammer back and allowing it to fly forward is the exact same thing as pulling the trigger. He wasn't aiming at anything, but a little to the left and it could have hit my leg.

I took about 5 minutes to open with a little help from some grease. Probably could have also done it without grease or tools, but you know, can't listen to anyone else :allears:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Having my dickhead sister Claudia for one :colbert:

Dad claims to not remember one road trip where I was the only one not asleep in the car and the sudden skid as he woke up and managed to not put all 9 of us in 5 seat datsun into a tree. Convenient.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ah, parents being bad drivers. Sadly I was not in the car when this occurred, I just saw the result when my dad came home.

We were on a trip to Vernon, NJ for our yearly Action Park (:krad:) trip, where we would stay at the Great Gorge resort a couple miles away for the weekend and go to the park once or twice along with eating at the cool Diary Queen nearby. My dad was a bad, bad driver. While my brother and I were watching TV in the little condo thing, my sister and my dad went up one of the mountain roads, I believe looking for a garage sale. Well, my dad was going on either a one lane bridge, or a bridge where one lane had work being done on it, so he had to go all the way to the right side to get across. And he was going super, super slow. And then my sister hears a crunch. And the crunch keeps getting louder. And louder. And crunchier. Until they finally cross the bridge, when the crunching stops.

My dad tore through the entire right side of his Lincoln Town Car (which sucked, it was old then and the tape player had the Big Chill soundtrack tape stuck inside so that is all we heard for a year.) To this day, my dad says he never heard a thing. The tear was covered up with duct tape and my dad kept using that car for at least another 2 years. He said he liked the hole because it meant other cars stayed away from him.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Ah, bad driving stories. This should be fun.

When I still lived with my dad, back in 2014, it was a particularly cold day, and there was a lot of sun glare. While on the way to school, my dad's windshield fogged up while driving, (in hindsight, this was probably a red flag, since it shouldn't do that unless there's a sealing issue), so he decided to use the windshield wipers to clear the outside at least. This would normally be a good idea, if he wasn't in the middle of turning. As he turned, it was turned INTO the sun, and the fluid reflected the sun causing a lot of glare, so he couldn't see the car that was currently speeding down the road we were turning into. As luck would have it, yes, we got hit. It completely trashed the axle, snapped it clean in two, and the engine itself took some damage.

To this day, my dad still blames the person who sped down the road instead of blaming the lack of proper following the rules of the road of even common sense. Common sense would have dictated NOT using something that reflects light incredibly well during a day with a lot of sun glare while turning INTO the sun.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
My dad's blown up a couple ovens with alcohol-heavy recipes and high temperatures. These incidents typically resulted in the oven door flying off, but nobody was ever injured. Less exciting but more unfortunate was the time he made a cake using salt instead of sugar.

We rented a vacation house on Cape Cod one summer, and it had an outdoor shower, which is pretty common if you live somewhere sandy and want to get cleaned up before you go into the house. One day, after a shower, dad remarked how much he liked the citrus-scented shampoo... which immediately got the rest of us chortling, because the stuff was clearly dog shampoo. It even had a picture of a dog on the bottle. He insisted it was normal human shampoo and continued to use it throughout the rest of the trip.

Dad also liked to drive us around while he was drunk, which we loved because it was exciting and he shouted insults at everyone. Didn't realize until much later that it was a pretty awful thing to do.

On a less troubling note, my parents planted Japanese barberry bushes around our house. They're an invasive species and attract ticks, but much more relevant was the fact that they have painful little thorns that drop everywhere. So many agonizing splinters from running around barefoot as a kid.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

My father fell for a pretty stupid scam. I think it was one of those "as seen on TV" ads, but for an eye exercise regimen that would help you regain lost sight by strengthening the muscles that focus your eyes. Just a pamphlet full of bogus exercises with the promise that you wouldn't need your glasses anymore after X amount of time. Last time I saw him he was still wearing his glasses. On top of that, I have an astigmatism, which, if I had to guess, means that he also has an astigmatism. That poo poo ain't gonna reshape your whole eyeballs, dude.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My dad had somehow owned Dell stock before their initial IPO. He listened to his financial advisor and sold when the stock was worth $20. The advisor didn't think that Dell would be around for too much longer and considered that to be the cap. It would then proceed to be split a few times and go up to be worth over $120 a share. He still laments this fact to this day and does his own investing now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
not something my dad did, but stupid poo poo my grandmother did to my dad, if that counts

he was playing with fire one day as a kid, and so, to teach him that Fire Bad, she turned the burner on the stove on and shoved his hand into the fire

I mean I guess it technically worked but also gently caress you grandma

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

my mother was staying overnight with me so I could take her to the airport the next morning.
we were fixing a light breakfast, just some English muffins and jam, and the toaster popped but the muffin was caught.

I had to stop my 72 year old mother from reaching into the toaster with a knife, a lesson she taught me as a child.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
1: Counterfeiting nickles
2: Selling gunpowder to neighborhood kids
3: Playing the tie up game with younger sisters, among related offences

Relatives agree my dad is a much better man than he was a child.

Bonus Uncle story:
Wanted to jump out of an explosion. So he cut a hole in some "old" book and poured some gunpowder into it. Only mildly injured by very disappointing "explosion".

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
One that I can remember when I was little was my dad thinking it would be a great idea to mix bleach and ammonia to clean the bathtub.

The next thing I know he is telling my mom to keep my sister and I out of the backyard since that is where the bucket with his great idea was sitting after he ran it out back after almost passing out in the bathroom.

Just remembered a great one. Growing up my grandparents had a nice beach house that the whole family would use. It was right on the Pacific but between the house and the beach there was about 100 meters of dune grass. It was early July and the dune grass was about waist high and super dry.

My dad had the brilliant idea to take an old metal coffee can and fill it with gun power, aluminum shavings, loose bottle rockets, jumping jacks and firecrackers and then use about 50' of cannon fuse to light it off. Being a 12 year old I was down for this idea until he planted the coffee can in the middle of the tall, dry grass and lit the fuse. I thought he was going to walk down to the beach where even if things went catastrophically bad (and they did), there was nothing but sand and water.

Before I could say that this was now a bad idea, everything ignited and the immediate area around the can burst into flames, including the grass.

He ended up getting very, very lucky. The wind was blowing out towards the ocean and pushed the flames away from any houses and when the fire department showed up, their water tanks weren't charged, so they had to go back and fill them before putting out the fire. Overall about 4 acres of grass were burnt but because no one was hurt, no structures were damaged and the fire could have been contained much earlier if the fire department had water the first time, he was let off with a very, very stern warning.

That was about 1995 and he hasn't touched a firework since.

CombatBonta-kun has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Nov 30, 2021

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

My father fell for a pretty stupid scam. I think it was one of those "as seen on TV" ads, but for an eye exercise regimen that would help you regain lost sight by strengthening the muscles that focus your eyes. Just a pamphlet full of bogus exercises with the promise that you wouldn't need your glasses anymore after X amount of time. Last time I saw him he was still wearing his glasses. On top of that, I have an astigmatism, which, if I had to guess, means that he also has an astigmatism. That poo poo ain't gonna reshape your whole eyeballs, dude.

My dad thought making me sit in the sunshine for a little while for a few days would fix my nearsightedness/astigmatism. "Meditating in the sunshine" is his cure for everything. . . even though all he actually does is fall asleep. Plus, it took two years for my parents to notice I needed glasses and wasn't just holding everything 6" from my nose for fun.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

When I was in college, my father called me in the middle of a morning class and left a voicemail stating that I needed to call him back immediately. Thinking that someone died or some other catastrophic piece of news awaited me I called him during the class break and he just had to tell me that he saw a news story of some guy who worked at a popcorn factory (dealing particular with the "butter", and for at least twenty years) came down with cancer that had ties with some chemical in popcorn butter flavoring, and that I needed to stop eating popcorn because I was going to get cancer.

He was also the type to yell if you stared at the microwave and/or stood to close to it because cancer/radiation. Yet it was fine if you left the food in there for at least a minute after it was done, because of course you can stand 10 feet away from something with a halflife of a minute (be sure to not look at it!) and everything's dandy.

I can't imagine how he would have reacted to the whole pandemic. I'm sure a lot of you whose had a parent pass must think that on occasion :psyduck:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mom uses the oven to store things

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
Back in the days when the vegetarian menu would be filled with fish and some walls hadn't been torn down while others hadn't been built yet, what stood out was the alcohol and subsequent DUI.
My father came from a dairy farmer's family and eventually became a veterinary. The soil being kinda poo poo to do anything but dairy farming and cattle feed production, the farms would be small and usually run by an older farmer. He spent most days on the road, going from one little farm to another little farm in a 1980s Mercedes - built like a tank (no crumple zone). The problem is mainly that every single social and business gathering involved alcohol. Cow giving birth? - celebrate with a shot of jenever (a local, less aromatic gin). All animals vaccinated? - out come the bottles. Someone in the far or near family did anything noteworthy? - fill up the glasses please. And of course, one shot was an insult - so you needed to have more. The farmer, however, stayed home, took his midday nap and started milking cows; my father would be on the road to the next job and the next set of shots.
Looking back, it's a miracle the guy only totaled one car - and it wasn't even his fault. He must've racked up upwards of 750k kms in his lifespan (remember him showing me the 250k mark on his trusty Mercedes), and didn't get into trouble once with the car.

With the train, however, that's a different story. Somewhere in the early 2000s he got a permanent contract in a government vet job (with the local university producing way too many vets, it was kinda necessary). He celebrated, and must have been so drunk they kicked him out somewhere in the middle with the police waiting. My mother - who had grown tired of it - eventually picked him up. His explanation? "Al Quaeda kidnapped me".

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

We had a house and grandparents lived a few miles away in an apt. Hey, there's this dumpster outside the apt and Mom is over there visiting everyday. No need to pay for garbage service at the house when we can use that. We weren't poor and it wasn't until later I realized no one else did that and probably not ok with the apt management, and was gross to have trash bags in the car all the time.

For bad driving, Dad thought it was unsafe to turn right on red lights even after coming to a stop and if no one was coming for miles. In retrospect that annoyed many drivers and I asked a driver's ed teacher about it and he confirmed doing so is obstructing traffic and should result in a ticket.

Not knowing a drat thing about cars. My high school car began smoking as it was totally out of oil as neither parent knew that was a thing. Neither brake light worked and people would tell 16 year old me to get that fixed but Dad didn't know that was really bad. Later realized they were clueless when I needed a reliable commuter car and they had me test driving trucks and would send me clipped out newspaper ads for random dealerships, like it was difficult to find a place willing to sell cars.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

habituallyred posted:

Bonus Uncle story:
Wanted to jump out of an explosion. So he cut a hole in some "old" book and poured some gunpowder into it. Only mildly injured by very disappointing "explosion".

My dad tried to do this! Except his idea was to stand on top of an upturned metal trash can with a bunch of M80s underneath. His assumption that it would launch him into the air was not correct.

Another story, decades later: I had just gotten my braces off, and had a mouthpiece I had to wear between meals to hold my teeth in place. We went to a baseball game, and dad insisted I wrap my mouthpiece up in a napkin when we got hot dogs. Rather than the expected outcome (little chunks of paper between my teeth for days), the trash guy came around and he just threw everything into the bin. We went to the orthodontist a couple days later to get a new one, and they said, "if your child is disobedient about using his mouthpiece, we can epoxy it in place." Dad, completely ignoring the fact that the whole thing was his fault, gave serious consideration to having that thing permanently affixed to my palate, and it was only through lots and lots of angry words that I managed to talk him out of it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

From dad's POV, it definitely won't happen again if it's glued on!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I can tell another one, this one my dad did when he was a kid. He and a bunch of the neighborhood kids were setting off fireworks behind their high school, as you do. Suddenly, a police cruiser pulls up and the cops start rounding up delinquents and handing out tickets. My dad and one of his buddies hid behind the dumpsters and watched for a bit. Suddenly, Young Dad gets a brilliant idea.

He turns to his buddy and says "Hey, gimme a cherry bomb."

Said cherry bomb was handed over. Dad chucks the cherry bomb, it bounces, rolls... right under the police cruiser.

KABOOM!

Dad and genius friend, wisely, loving bolted, as did the other kids.

Thankfully it didn't blow up the car... or else my dad would have had MUCH bigger problems on his hands.

But still, Dad. :wtc:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I come downstairs one day to use the bathroom and I see, through the kitchen and out into his office, my 60-something year old dad lying completely flat on his stomach.

Thinking the worst that he had a heart attack or something, I rush in there.

Turns out he was laying on the floor talking to our new kitten that was sleeping under his desk.

Second place is the time he called me at 2am to confirm my email address so he could send me a lovely cellphone video of an owl he heard in the back yard.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

I come downstairs one day to use the bathroom and I see, through the kitchen and out into his office, my 60-something year old dad lying completely flat on his stomach.

Turns out he was laying on the floor talking to our new kitten that was sleeping under his desk.

Second place is the time he called me at 2am to confirm my email address so he could send me a lovely cellphone video of an owl he heard in the back yard.

drat cool dumb dad

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This guy rules.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Your dad rules

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What kind of owl was it, OP?

The people demand answers.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Definitely wanna meet that dad, and also learn what owl it was

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Sadly my dad isn’t that cool. He’s a big grumpy republican who doesn’t believe in global warming but somehow has a huge soft spot for animals.

My mom and I used to work 3rd shift together and would carpool. He called my mom at 6am (something he’s done like, twice in 30 years) because there was a robin fledgling in the driveway and he didn’t want us to accidentally run it over.

As for what type of owl, probably a barred owl. It didn’t sound like a saw-whet owl and they are the two I’ve been told are most common locally.

Lava Lamp Goddess has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Dec 8, 2021

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My parents are well educated, but for some reason they had a blindness when it came to responsible pet ownership. Not that they’ve ever hurt or done something physically bad to an animal-they’d never do that. But we had 6 cats, all female, and none of them were neutered. They were indoor/outdoor cats too, so every summer they’d have kittens. We had times when there were 6 cats and 12 kittens in the house. She’d let us play with them too, unsupervised. Again, we never hurt them, but the poor little guys still got stuck in all kinds of places that must have been terrifying or uncomfortable for them. I remember giving them rides in toy cars all the time. When they hit 6 weeks old, my mom would put an ad in the paper and give them away. Fortunately most ended up with friends and classmates, but there were a couple of times when adults would show up when my parents were out, and us kids would just let strangers take them. They were the adults after all.

It’s not horrible or terrible, but I still cringe when I think of all the cats that didn’t get adopted from a shelter because of those kittens.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Here's another story from my dad. (Seems like I have quite a few involving him.) I was about, 13-14 years old. My dad's car had broken down, so he had a rental until it was fixed. The stupid part comes in with this: He was dating a stripper. Normally there wouldn't be anything wrong with this, but he would let her borrow his car, because "she couldn't afford one, and just HAD to make her court date". So, he lets her borrow the RENTAL CAR. She ends up leaving the state with it, and ends up in Texas when they finally got a hold of the car again. My dad was on the hook for all the fines and such for the rental car leaving state lines and being stolen. The worst part? There was something like $500 worth of video games in the trunk because I was staying over my dad's place, and hadn't had a chance to take them out of the trunk when we got there.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

habituallyred posted:

3: Playing the tie up game with younger sisters, among related offences

sorry what

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

sorry what

You know where you tie somebody up. And when they get out they get to tie you up. As the oldest child dad was much better about making and getting out of knots. A "fair" game, unlike soapsuds milkshakes.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I’ve heard about many cases where kids have died in tie up games. When my dad was small this happened to a family they knew where the kids had played Indians.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
This one happens long before I came into the picture, but my father was working in an army surplus store my grandfather had set up after coming back from WWII. They had a customer come in who asked if they sold "rubbers". My dad, being apparently an unworldly soul, thought the guy meant galoshes to protect boots in bad weather, so he said "Sure, we have them; what size do you want?". When the customer was somewhat perplexed by the question, my dad looked at his feet (which apparently came off as looking a little further up) and said "You look like you would wear a small!". Fortunately for my ability to exist my grandfather managed to walk up and straighten things out around then, but apparently he laughed pretty hysterically at my dad afterwards :D.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He knew what he was doing

Lamprotornis
Jun 28, 2004

My happy place~
As an adult, most of my father's stupidity was just standard blue-collar overconfidence:
He broke a finger with a table saw motor thinking he could lift it out of the tiny side compartment on his own.
He split his big toe through a steel-toed boot with a brush axe.
He nearly degloved his palm with a belt-sander that had a faulty trigger.
Two of his fingers were accidentally removed by a table saw, but they were successfully reattached. However, he continued to work with the pins still in his finger bones instead of taking time off to heal. Every time the head of a pin tapped something solid, it sent a jolt of pain up his arm, so he ripped them out himself with a pair of pliers. It's a miracle his fingers still function flawlessly.

As a child and teen, he was a lot more creative.

He hid a garter snake in his English teacher's desk drawer. He was in math class when it was discovered, the teacher's scream echoing down the hall. As he tells it, the math teacher was startled by the scream, saw my dad and his buddy failing to suppress laughing, and said "I don't know what you two did, but I know you did something. Go to the office."

He and a friend dug a mostly harmless pitfall trap in the woods, and would trick another friend into going with them to "see this cool thing in the woods." They'd walk on either side of the victim and subtly guide them to fall in. The last time they pulled this prank was after a couple of weeks had passed, fresh pinestraw had fallen, they forgot exactly where the hole was, and my dad fell in instead.

The biggest accomplishment of his youth was during a football pep rally. He and his friends were hanging out with the opposing team for some reason, and a guy came around looking for volunteers to help with a performance. The other school had borrowed a coffin from a local funeral home to be carried around the field in a lighthearted "We're going to bury you" performance. So my dad and his friends were recruited to help carry this casket around the field.

After the performance, they were left alone with the casket. So they stole it and hid it in the baseball dugout. They left it there for a day, no one found it, so they came back with one of the guy's pickup truck and stole it for good.

They then drove around, picking up hitchhikers in the back of the pickup, with one of the friends hiding in the casket. They'd scratch or knock bang on the lid to raise paranoia, then throw the lid open with a scream. They decided to stop doing this after one hitchhiker jumped out of the truck at 35mph.

The casket was then converted into a beer cooler, and remained in a garage.

He grew up with five sisters and no brothers. One of my aunts loves to tell the story of how my brother tied her to a tree and painted her green. To this day, no one - not even him - has any idea why he did this.

His father was a doctor, and caught him smoking at age 15, so my grandfather drove him to the morgue for a bring-your-son-to-work-day during an autopsy, and calmly explained all the harms of smoking that were known at the time, while scooping tar out of a pair of split-open lungs and plopping the goop on a tray in front of my dad. My dad still didn't quit smoking until he was 65.

Having grown up with so many sisters around, he learned more cooking, sewing, and other "household chores" than a boy of that era normally would. So when he was in the Navy during Vietnam and found himself serving on a helicopter carrier, he made a little extra money on the side by converting the issued pants into bell-bottoms.

After the navy, he lived in Florida for a while working for some place that built recreational sailboats. He and his roommate, probably drunk, saw an enormous spider on their living room floor, and they got the bright idea to literally kill it with fire. One readied the lighter fluid, the other with matches. They put their plan into action, the spider burst into flames...and ran under the couch.

His divorce with my mother hit him pretty hard, and turned this life-long rebel into a fundamentalist conservative Christian, which admittedly is partially my fault, because the church he attends is also the high school I attended. They wanted me out of public school for some reason, and this school was a big mistake in hindsight. Despite this, as soon as I was 18 he casually encouraged me to apply to work at the local sex novelty shop that had recently opened up in town. I thought he was kidding and just laughed it off.

About five years later, it came up in conversation again, and he said "No I was serious! I wanted to see if anyone from the church went there." It was kind of nice to see a small piece of that old rebel intact.

Edit:

Oh one more. He had a heart valve replacement a few years back - the kind where they put in a bovine heart valve instead. In his post-anesthesia silliness, he expressed genuine distress, hoping it was a bull valve and not a cow, worried that having a woman-cow valve in his heart would make him somehow less male.

Lamprotornis has a new favorite as of 12:33 on Dec 26, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Having me :smuggo:

The weirdest thing my dad did was getting into the whole "apocalypse is near, time to arm up" mindset in the 80s and early 90s, stocking up guns and Christian eschatological books. I guess it was kinda useful for one night when there was an escaped murderer potentially hiding in the woods near our house, but it was mostly just a primer for the post-GWB era when the democrats started preparing to steal our guns at any moment and it became important to open carry because of the gun battles we are in danger of encountering every second of every day in small-town America.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Didn't let me watch Transformers because they heard it had magic in it.

Moved us around the country multiple times because dad got tired of his current job and "I think this is what the Lord wants us to do" fooled my mom every time, or at least that was the point where she'd cave.

Mescaline.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
My Dad and I went on a road trip to Prince Edward Island when I was 14 or so, and he brought back half a dozen live lobsters in styrofoam coolers in the back of the rental car (an 18-hour drive).

Actually that wasn't stupid at all, it was kind of awesome. I just hate lobster. What a place to find out you can't stand lobster, but PEI. And then waking to the smell of all of them cooking filling his apartment the day after we got back.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

My Dad and I went on a road trip to Prince Edward Island when I was 14 or so, and he brought back half a dozen live lobsters in styrofoam coolers in the back of the rental car (an 18-hour drive).

Actually that wasn't stupid at all, it was kind of awesome. I just hate lobster. What a place to find out you can't stand lobster, but PEI. And then waking to the smell of all of them cooking filling his apartment the day after we got back.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

While on an university visit to / passing engineering secrets to Russia, my dad got into a drinking session with Russian academics. He apparently only survived this as his translater/political minder was intercepting the vodka heading his way, and replacing it with water.

Bug Squash has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Dec 27, 2021