Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i can assure you, as a citizen of one of the most heavily armed nations on earth that has only had a few school shootings in its entire existence, it's not the guns that are the problem

Which nation, the Falkland Islands population 3000?

quote:

Estimate of civilian firearms per 100 persons

1 United States 120.5
2 Falkland Islands 62.1
3 Yemen 52.8
4 New Caledonia 42.5
5 Montenegro 39.1
6 Serbia 39.1
7 Canada 34.7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

teardrop posted:

Which nation, the Falkland Islands population 3000?

I think people drastically underestimate the number of guns sloshing around in the US. A country like Switzerland, where a large part of the adult population are reservists and have a weapon at home, think of themselves as having high gun ownership. But that list has several active/former warzones that all have less guns than the US.

The US has more guns than people.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
we did shooter drills when i was in elementary school in the early 90s you shoved a bunch of desk agasinst the door and turned out teh lights and had to be quiet

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Thundercloud posted:

I think people drastically underestimate the number of guns sloshing around in the US. A country like Switzerland, where a large part of the adult population are reservists and have a weapon at home, think of themselves as having high gun ownership. But that list has several active/former warzones that all have less guns than the US.

im p sure if you switch alcohol with guns in this it would look about the same for the US

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Thundercloud posted:

They use to have spinner racks of shotguns at loving Walmart until less than a decade ago.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we did the bomb threat drill thing where you evacuate and form a small, dense group in the "evacuation area" behind the gym, which is where someone who actually wanted to bomb or shoot a bunch of kids would target.

other than that, i think we had tornado drills where you either got under a desk or got down on your hands and knees facing a wall with your hands over your head, because your child-sized hand bones would've really softened the blow of the cinderblock wall collapsing on your skull i guess.

never had to do a shooter drill, though.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Nooner posted:

im p sure if you switch alcohol with guns in this it would look about the same for the US

So the authors of this article assert that 10% of american adults are balls-to-the-wall, full-on blotto alcoholics

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HolHorsejob posted:

So the authors of this article assert that 10% of american adults are balls-to-the-wall, full-on blotto alcoholics

Have you been to Wisconsin?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HolHorsejob posted:

Not necessarily, it could easily be that the 10%-5% mark have, say, 16 or 20 drinks a week -- which isn't good but it's also not nonfunctional -- and it's the top 5% or 1% that drink every waking minute. It's a huge study, feel free to dig https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/research/nesarc-iii

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Our active shooter drill consisted of locking the doors, putting the blinds down, and sitting huddled in the corner in the dark for 20 minutes until the superintendent or someone declared all clear.

Before smartphones this time was spent awkwardly avoiding eye contact, trying to find comfortable ways to sit or squat on the floor, and one or two dudes playing some funny ringtone to break the artificial tension until their flipphone got confiscated by the teacher

EDIT: Oh and the laserpointer gag. That was a good one.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Can't they just shoot the gently caress out of the door knob or is that a thing that only works in movies?

It can be fairly difficult to get through a locked doorknob with proper tools like a drill or hammer. Pretty sure that using a gun to open a door is one of those things that works far better in movies or video games than it does in real life.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just make children out of kevlar idk

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just make children out of kevlar idk

https://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/collections/bulletproof-backpacks/products/streetwise-level-3a-bulletproof-emoji-backpack-orange

quote:

Children's backpack with bulletproof properties provides safety & utility
Blocks nearly all handgun shots, including 9mm and .44 Magnum bullets
NIJ Level 3A bulletproof rating standards tested
Provides highest protection level currently available for lightweight armor
Also protects against sharp or pointed weapons

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cubone posted:

we definitely did them when I was in high school (graduated in 2006)

I remember because whatever committee was in charge of establishing the drill procedure decided that the announcement should be coded, so that the shooter wouldn't know that we knew he was on campus
and then they never established what the code would actually be

they just put out the vague idea that it would have the word "lock" or a word related to locks in it, like "mr. keyes, please come to the front office"
hm yep nothing that could go wrong with that plan

and my friends and I thought it was really funny to pretend the code phrase was "mr. locklear LOCK YOUR DOORS THERE IS A MURDERER ON CAMPUS!"

Wouldn't there be like a 99% chance that the shooter would have been a student and thus know the code

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Also you never see any of these shooters with a crowbar, it would be too heavy for their noodle arms

watch out for creepy silent types with access to a HEV suit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
America is a caricature of a country

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sure okay posted:

They need to have INactive shooter drills imo

Like what if the kid is like, “yeah I got a gun” but hes not moving off his rear end and kinda expects things to go on normally what do you do then huh

growing up in alabama yhis was basically the entirety of high school during hunting season

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Big Beef City posted:

Wouldn't there be like a 99% chance that the shooter would have been a student and thus know the code
yes

look I'd recommend against trying to make any kind of sense out of it. that way lies madness

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I remembering doing shooter drills back in high school in 2002/2003 or so

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I remember doing lockdowns in the mid 2000s, and yeah it consisted of killing the lights, locking the door and everyone gathering against a wall not visible from the door window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Garrand posted:

I remember doing lockdowns in the mid 2000s, and yeah it consisted of killing the lights, locking the door and everyone gathering against a wall not visible from the door window

If there's a school shooter what the gently caress else is anyone supposed to do anyway?