Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I went to high school in the years immediately following the Columbine shooting and we never had "active shooter drills". I also worked in a school district from like 2004-2011 and don't recall ever seeing or hearing about them (I was in IT so i traveled to multiple different locations).

Is this something only some school districts do? Did it pick up in the last five or six years? It seems like something that sucks big-time for kids (is it even effective or is it just more security theater?) but I'm curious how prolific it actually is and when it really took hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
am teacher

was about 6 or 7 years ago I'd say

being a kid right now loving sucks

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
So are the kids told to throw erasers and notebooks at the person with a gun or something?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Turns out a huge chunk of americans don't give a poo poo about anyone other than themselves and want a poo poo ton of guns and ammo to protect themselves when the race wars start.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Idk. It's very reminiscent of duck & cover, though.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
after Parkland when the myth of "if we put cops in all the schools they'll stop the shooter before they can get anyone" was proven false mostly

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I can remember lockdown drills as far back as like... 2003? I graduated 07 so I'm not sure how prevalent they were/are.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
we had lockdown drills when I was in high school in Colorado, 2006 - 2010

at the time we all thought they were, like, an excuse to search people’s lockers for drugs :shrug:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I remember having lockdown drills but that was for general emergencies, not necessarily active shooters.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been informed by the internet that active shooter drills, poems about hiding for your life, etc are actually total normal and good responses to mass shootings in schools. It is a logical response and the only sane possible option.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
I remember having them in elementary school in the late 90s/early 2000s. After I got to middle school we stopped doing them. I guess they figured we're old enough to get shot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Active shooter drills is where you educate future active shooters on where all the kids will be hiding so you can get the maximum body count.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

les enfants Terrific! posted:

I remember having them in elementary school in the late 90s/early 2000s. After I got to middle school we stopped doing them. I guess they figured we're old enough to get shot.

You had active shooter drills prior to school shootings?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We had drills when I was in school in the early 2000s for sure. Once we had a legit one* and a few of us ended up locked in a closet for a couple hours.

* not an actual shooter but they thought it was, so it wasn't a drill, it was a full emergency lockdown

I think they really ramped up after Sandy Hook

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 23, 2021

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Columbine was 1999 so probably some schools did drills after that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Every school goer ought to be issued a knife

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I remember sitting in the gym after columbine and that was the thing but then 9/11 happened and then that became the thing to worry about. Now it's everything and you gotta be scared all the time but at least the kids have Tik-Tok and pro-gamer Ninja to make them feel safe. World is a gently caress.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I was at this active shooter drill that was super realistic, I got hired on to take part through a fema crisis actor craigslist post, it was in upstate connecticut.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

active shooter drills at my high school was just a cop randomly kicking the door in and lighting up the room with a paintball gun. this was 04 - 08.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sophy Wackles posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember having some in maybe 2000-2001

Pookum posted:

I was at this active shooter drill that was super realistic, I got hired on to take part through a fema crisis actor craigslist post, it was in upstate connecticut.

Don't let fox news or chuds know about this.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I went to a very rural high school 2005-2009 and I’d say 1 out of every 5 kids had a shotgun/rifle in the back of their car during deer season, so active shooter drills were never really a thing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I went to a very rural high school 2005-2009 and I’d say 1 out of every 5 kids had a shotgun/rifle in the back of their car during deer season, so active shooter drills were never really a thing.

See?!!!! Guns keep people safe!!!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I know two kids who got kicked out of school for composing hit lists immediately after Columbine. One was in 8th grade, one was in 9th.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

may 6 2004

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The real issue America has is they dare to use foreign weapons in their mass shootings. Heckler & Koch? What kinda Nazi poo poo is that? American made and sourced, for the American people.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Flowers for QAnon posted:

No, I just have a very very bad sense of time. :saddumb: I do remember them, though, being told to push the desk into a corner and hide behind it, and be close to the door to make the class look empty.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

Turns out a huge chunk of americans don't give a poo poo about anyone other than themselves and want a poo poo ton of guns and ammo to protect themselves when the race wars start.

same but i will be volunteering for the non white team

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Sophy Wackles posted:

Lol I think we did one the next week.

naem
May 29, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Active shooter drills is where you educate future active shooters on where all the kids will be hiding so you can get the maximum body count.

I’ve thought of this too lol, since the “active shooters” are the children at these drills

surely traumatizing them further about guns will help

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im just gonna let wolves raise my children

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

They need to have INactive shooter drills imo

Like what if the kid is like, “yeah I got a gun” but hes not moving off his rear end and kinda expects things to go on normally what do you do then huh

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I graduated high school in 2004 and I never had a drill.

That said, I went to eight different grade schools so it's entirely possible that I just happened to miss it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I was homeschooled from the age of 10, so active shooter drills were really uncomfortable.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
America refuses to do anything that would actually solve its problems, but since people insist that something must be done, America does dumb halfass poo poo that makes us look crazy to the whole world and probably provides a nice paycheck to whichever suburban small business owner figures out how to run the scam.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We absolutely are doing something! Haven't you heard the push to arm all teachers with guns?

For every bad student with a gun you have a good teacher with a gun.

Duh. Solves that problem.

Moron.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

They were probably worried that a drill would turn into a huge gun battle

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

les enfants Terrific! posted:

No, I just have a very very bad sense of time. :saddumb: I do remember them, though, being told to push the desk into a corner and hide behind it, and be close to the door to make the class look empty.

I was really hoping there was a crazy story there

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

See?!!!! Guns keep people safe!!!

I’ll tell you what, if a lonely-outsider trench coat-wearing deer tried to storm my high school, he’d be filled with holes before he even reached the lobby.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I graduated in 2006. My public schools post-Columbine we're in South Carolina (x2), Montana (x2), and Washington (x1).

Somehow never had a shooter drill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
we definitely did them when I was in high school (graduated in 2006)

I remember because whatever committee was in charge of establishing the drill procedure decided that the announcement should be coded, so that the shooter wouldn't know that we knew he was on campus
and then they never established what the code would actually be

they just put out the vague idea that it would have the word "lock" or a word related to locks in it, like "mr. keyes, please come to the front office"
hm yep nothing that could go wrong with that plan

and my friends and I thought it was really funny to pretend the code phrase was "mr. locklear LOCK YOUR DOORS THERE IS A MURDERER ON CAMPUS!"