Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't know what this means and assume it's a "deez nuts" comment.

Two days to go.

No. I meant to say how is your body holding up? Are you feeling better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I've been sober for over four months now (not that I really drank that much) in solidarity with someone close to me. I also used to work at a liquor store, and it was absolutely soul crushing to watch people drink their lives away.

Sobriety from alcohol is cool, and everyone should do it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Zeluth posted:

No. I meant to say how is your body holding up? Are you feeling better?

Sorry, just didn't know that expression. I am feeling pretty good. Once work kicked back after the break it was pretty easy to not drink.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A routine of not drinking toxins should not be bound by 1 month.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
1 year, 9 months sober.

I drank in the way that eradicated my jobs, relationships, housing. I was homeless twice, threw up blood all the time while living in the bushes, I mean the worst. Just almost ground down to dust. Almost..

I had many, many, many attempts to get sober. Just banging my head against the wall and trying not to die. The best advice I think I can give is that the one common thing that I've seen in all long-time sober folks is that none of them gave up. If you give up, then you're just not going to get sober by proxy. You won't. Nothing will change unless you do, period.

So I just kept getting up. That's the only way I can describe it. Having the lady at the local detox say "if I see Floodixor again here I'm going to give him five days here" which is awful because the worst thing about detox is that you blow zeroes after about 2 days. After that, profound and crushing boredom. (She did see me again and I did get 5 days in).

I've been picked up by the cops, held up at gunpoint while drunk, been to rehab twice, sober livings for years, I've been hospitalized so many times that I just got served papers for outstanding medical bills. But here's the deal:

I can DEAL with all of that poo poo now. I get to stand straight and on my own two feet and be clearheaded and deal with it. Life isn't always great but it sure is a thousand miles from the hell it used to be. I have to remember to celebrate small victories that have come to me over this past period of sobriety: going from day labor to a real job, getting a car, moving out of sober living and living in a place I like. Every day, I wake up and I'm not hungover or craving opiates.

I just didn't give up and I keep not giving up every day.

The point being that I really do feel for a lot of you goons because there's a lot of pain in this thread. :( But there's a way out and if a drunk junkie bum like me can crawl out of it enough to have a fancy laptop at this point to make bad posts on, you can too! YOU CAN. Just don't give up. Keep getting up. One day you'll have your last drink and not even know it.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Floodixor posted:

1 year, 9 months sober.

I drank in the way that eradicated my jobs, relationships, housing. I was homeless twice, threw up blood all the time while living in the bushes, I mean the worst. Just almost ground down to dust. Almost..

I had many, many, many attempts to get sober. Just banging my head against the wall and trying not to die. The best advice I think I can give is that the one common thing that I've seen in all long-time sober folks is that none of them gave up. If you give up, then you're just not going to get sober by proxy. You won't. Nothing will change unless you do, period.

So I just kept getting up. That's the only way I can describe it. Having the lady at the local detox say "if I see Floodixor again here I'm going to give him five days here" which is awful because the worst thing about detox is that you blow zeroes after about 2 days. After that, profound and crushing boredom. (She did see me again and I did get 5 days in).

I've been picked up by the cops, held up at gunpoint while drunk, been to rehab twice, sober livings for years, I've been hospitalized so many times that I just got served papers for outstanding medical bills. But here's the deal:

I can DEAL with all of that poo poo now. I get to stand straight and on my own two feet and be clearheaded and deal with it. Life isn't always great but it sure is a thousand miles from the hell it used to be. I have to remember to celebrate small victories that have come to me over this past period of sobriety: going from day labor to a real job, getting a car, moving out of sober living and living in a place I like. Every day, I wake up and I'm not hungover or craving opiates.

I just didn't give up and I keep not giving up every day.

The point being that I really do feel for a lot of you goons because there's a lot of pain in this thread. :( But there's a way out and if a drunk junkie bum like me can crawl out of it enough to have a fancy laptop at this point to make bad posts on, you can too! YOU CAN. Just don't give up. Keep getting up. One day you'll have your last drink and not even know it.

Stay strong, my friend. Life is hard, but it's worth it.

I wish you continued success. Alcohol is poison, and it makes you dumb.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had a slip last week Saturday. And since I don't subscribe to that AA bullshit I consider myself on day 86 with one slip as opposed to losing all of that sobriety time and starting over from day 1. I was doing really really bad and was super depressed and angry and anxious at all times and I just wanted it to stop. So I drank. I didn't enjoy it and had no energy the next day of course so I don't really have a desire to do it again. I have to say though, it was like throwing a wrench in the gears. For some reason I feel a little bit better. Just less anxiety and that physical sinking feeling. I'm not happy I ruined my streak though.

Regardless, I'm still doing bad. The ECT was pretty much a failure. I started school on Monday though so I have something to do. Although my motivation is very low so I'm just doing what I have to do and not studying more like I want to be doing.

Oh yeah, I start an IOP (intensive outpatient) program tomorrow. It's virtual from 9am-12pm M/W/F. It's for my bipolar/other mental illness stuff though but focuses on everything including substance abuse. It goes for 3 weeks. That's much earlier than I usually wake up so hopefully it works out ok. I'm still tired all of the time.

Here's hoping things start to go better and I hope you all are doing well. :)

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just hit 9 years sober on the 21st!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
4 weeks today :confuoot:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's February. I survived the month.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's February. I survived the month.

Bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe4EK4HSPkI

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Zeluth posted:

Bullshit.

:shrug: Not sure what you want dude.

I've spent most of the day listening to Queen's last two albums and hanging out at a zoo with my son. I fed a binturong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8lrvKLzg0

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Atlas Hugged posted:

:shrug: Not sure what you want dude.

I think it was a joke that it's still January

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I think it was a joke that it's still January

It was February in Asia.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Wishing all a happy sober February.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

BigBadSteve posted:

I'm drunk already

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had one slip in January but am on day 88 otherwise. Almost 90 days. I don't even remember the last time I've gone this long without being on a constant bender.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

BigBadSteve posted:

I missed January, but I'm gonna do this month sober.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I had one slip in January but am on day 88 otherwise. Almost 90 days. I don't even remember the last time I've gone this long without being on a constant bender.

It’s really good that your reaction after your slip was to immediately realize it was a bad idea and put it away again, that alone should show you how much work you’ve done since you’ve stopped!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Went on a pretty intense bender yesterday. I guess I needed a reminder as to why I was doing sober January. I spent way too much money, feel like horse piss, and just have a gnawing feeling of failure and dread. I guess I learned no meaningful lessons in January other than that I can't trust my ability to cut myself off.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
But you had all of that sober time. How did you feel? Maybe you know even more now that you don't need it due to how terrible it made you feel.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pennywise the Frown posted:

But you had all of that sober time. How did you feel? Maybe you know even more now that you don't need it due to how terrible it made you feel.

I mean I felt fine over the last month. It wasn't like a miracle panacea for my life or anything, but I certainly didn't have any issues because I was sober.

I had beers at midnight on the 1st and chatted with a buddy on Discord and that was fine. I guess I was overconfident and just let myself be a bit wild yesterday and now mentally I'm paying for it. I think going forward it's not the avoidance of alcohol so much as just like not going out that I need to avoid. I deeply enjoy the act of drinking a beer and hanging out with my buddies, but I can do that at home and have a perfectly good and safe time and not run the risk of spending a million dollars and pub crawling until I literally can't stand.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

everyone’s experience is different and some people really can scale back their drinking, but I definitely went through phases of bargaining where I convinced myself I only had to drink the right way, and eventually I realized that for me the right and wrong way were inseparable.

If I had a good night drinking a few beers with friends it was only setting me up to get disastrously drunk and drive the next day, which I could have avoided if I had stayed sober to begin with. I can’t count the number of times I ended a brief period of sobriety with a night or two of moderate drinking followed by months of binge drinking.

If you find that you lose control of your drinking and frequently get hammered more or less on accident, I think you probably will be more successful with abstinence than attempting to moderate it. If you’ve got the money it’s really worth looking at an outpatient program or at least a professional you can see on a regular basis. If not, AA is dumb for a lot of reasons but they’re nice folks and sitting in on a meeting is often genuinely helpful if you’re having a tough time. If you stop drinking but don’t address what makes you drink it’s rarely something you can keep up long-term

ChunTheUnavoidable fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 2, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, the question of whether you can accurately predict what will happen on a given night if you start drinking is a significant one. People without an alcohol issue can reliably predict what will happen if they drink, whereas for a lot of us it's spinning a wheel that could go all sorts of ways, including jail.

e: Fixed error of omission and added "predict"

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 6, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My mom always says "I wish you could just have a few." We have a big drinking family but it's part of our culture. I wish I could too. But I don't drink for the taste or to get buzzed. When I drink I have a goal to get drunk. Otherwise I don't see the point. It's pretty black and white for me. I feel if I have a few and stop then it'll be a waste.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
All of that makes a lot of sense. I basically drank from noon to 10pm last night. One thing I learned in university is that I don't ever "power down". I black out, but I never pass out. This is loving terrifying.

I only have that issue if I go out to the bars though. If I drink at home, I never get into that situation. The environmental factor seems to matter more than anything.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I can't even remember how many times I quit drinking, then bargained myself into trying to drink in moderation. It always ended in a binge.

I wish I could just have a few beers with friends, but I can't. When I drink, it flips a switch in my brain and I feel compelled to drink myself into oblivion. The only solution was to not drink at all.

The social aspect is the difficult part to deal with. It took a few years before I was OK being around other people boozing without feeling like I was missing out.

Alcohol is poison. There are better drugs out there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I can't even remember how many times I quit drinking, then bargained myself into trying to drink in moderation. It always ended in a binge.

I wish I could just have a few beers with friends, but I can't. When I drink, it flips a switch in my brain and I feel compelled to drink myself into oblivion. The only solution was to not drink at all.

The social aspect is the difficult part to deal with. It took a few years before I was OK being around other people boozing without feeling like I was missing out.

This is the direction I'm currently leaning. Had a couple of beers after dinner while unwinding and had no real desire to drink more, but backed out of an after work session and instead just had a quiet Friday at home because I know once I'm out I'll want to stay out. It's Saturday morning and I'm feeling good, so there's that.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Gutter Phoenix posted:

This sounds familiar to me. Whatever brain region controls my alcohol appetite just gets mildly frustrated with a couple pints or glasses of wine. It's like eating a single pistachio and going "welp that's my pistachio limit for the day" and trying not to think about all those uneaten pistachios sitting there in the sunlit ceramic bowl just waiting to be cracked open. Random genetic chance granted me with a high tolerance so while I've avoided puking, brawling, and the backseat of cop cars, the countless hangovers have definitely ruined a few career and romantic opportunities and given me facial bloat and a gut.

I can't think of another drug that ticks all the boxes alcohol does. I have zero interest in pills that make me nod off or exotic hallucinogens where I commune with crystalline elves. I wish weed had the same effect on me that it did on Bill Hader's character in the beginning of Pineapple Express, but the dry mouth, intrusive thoughts and anxiety just make me crave a cold beer.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a Feb thread or are we using this one all year?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

obeyasia posted:

Is there a Feb thread or are we using this one all year?

May as well just keep chuggin' along with this one.

I hope everyone is doing well, and that the shameful hangovers have been less torturous and life-wrecking than in the past. It's Friday, baby!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I went into town the other night and had literally one beer and just felt immensely guilty because it was crowded and no one was wearing a mask, not that they could while drinking beers but there's no way to know if they're vaccinated, so I decided to come home. Haven't really had an urge to go out since.

Sober January + covid may have finally killed my desire to destroy myself at bars. I just don't need it.