Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
2021 was a disgusting mess of a year, and I don't think 2022 is going to be any better. At least we can try to focus on our own health and well-being.

I have been planning this for awhile, but 2021 Atlas made sure to be a jerk and left a full, open beer on my bedside table so I had to throw that out when I woke up. Good one, 2021 me!

Anyway, let's encourage each other and draw dick pics here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I smoked a lot of dabs from 2020-2021 but I stopped weed entirely after Xmas. I don’t have a problem with alcohol so I’m using that to fill the gap until the cravings go away.

Only problem is when I smoke I don’t dream. When I quit smoking, I dream frequently about smoking so it’s tough…

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’m always sober but right now I am especially sober. Welcome to sober zone op, enjoy your stay :cool:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
My goal is to have the most sober ‘22 as possible so I can relearn how to make friends. I’m hoping that’s a correct route to take

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'll join you OP, I've done the "go sober for a month or two at a time" thing before.

Staying sober will also help for my other 2022 goal, losing 65 pounds so I get under 200 for the first time since 2005.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't drink but I'm going to try and abstain from jerking off to anime for at least 12 hours, wish me luck

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Being sober is bad for your mental health

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
No issues with drinking, but developed a bit of a nasty coke habit over the last few years and it's the second I've had a couple of beers it happens. Quitting drinking for two months to sort of reset.

Edit:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Probably true tho

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was afraid I'd be going this alone but I guess being twelve hours ahead of most posters meant that it's only just now January for most goons.

Today was good, though I felt like rear end in the morning since I decided to go out with a bang. I'm feeling great now and settling in for the evening, so I guess I can cross one day off the calendar.

My wife doesn't drink like I do and wanted a glass of wine this afternoon but decided she would be supportive and try to go without. She's mostly annoyed since we don't go back to work until the 10th (teachers) and wanted to continue to enjoy the holiday, but she quickly got over it.

I'd also like to shed some weight this month. With any luck I'll finally get back into my old workout regime.

I also did not have a soda today so lots of positive vibes on day one!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'll drink to that OP.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I already hosed up guys sorry for disappointing you all this year.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
went for a run today and didn't drink last night but i have taken drugs since going for said run so

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

No

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I saw dead people in my sleep, it's probably a good time to a shower beer and joint

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

for me I was convinced I had bad mental health for years and was wasting money on therapists and self pitying/self diagnosing online and then it turned out I was just an alcoholic who never exercised. Now im good lol. Literally just had to go for a run in the morning and stop blacking out every night

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Quit drinking in March of last year. After the first 4 four months, I no longer even think of my old habits of knowing exactly when the liquor store opens, or knowing what my plans will be after getting off work.

Best of luck OP. There's an E/N thread on the subject if you want support.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I dont miss drinking

When you get older how you feel after makes it so not worth it

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

for me I was convinced I had bad mental health for years and was wasting money on therapists and self pitying/self diagnosing online and then it turned out I was just an alcoholic who never exercised. Now im good lol. Literally just had to go for a run in the morning and stop blacking out every night

this is me but also sometimes I still don't exercise because I am lazy

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Nothin wrong with being lazy!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
im almost on my first full year alcohol free, just a few weeks from now.

i guess ive lived with the alcoholics who really NEED HELP, so i know i am a lucky one who could get out while i was ahead, the way i see it.

really i took a gamble and walked away from a hated job last year, and i told myself i would not be unemployed and drunk. by the time i found the next gig i was over alcohol

Still blazing it though cuz thats religion

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
It's unlikely that I'm gonna participate seeing how I don't really drink that often anyway but I'll be cheering on and supporting those who do!

I may do it inadvertently though

:cheerdoge: <-- cheering with a root beer

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i used to get hosed up a lot a lot. i quit drinking in october. i still dream about it sometimes, but it's less often now than it was when it was fresh. now it just feels weird cause it's like quitting something you were good at it. i mean i practiced drinking way longer than pretty much any other skill i have lol. i was good at drinking.

at the same time i also quit dip after a ~15 year habit. at the peak of that i was going through a can of skoal a day. i was dipping in every shower, every car ride, every lunch break at work, after every meal, and after ever drink.

i had to quit both at the same time if i was gonna have any chance of quitting one of them and i basically went hardcore turtle depressed mode for over a week and only played video games to kill time. i don't want to downplay it too much cause it's important people understand how bad that first week sucks. i legit wanted to die. i kinda wanted to kill myself for a solid week. you really feel like an addict piece of poo poo that can't function sober. but you just gotta get through it.

oh and i ended up quitting caffeine too cause once i felt better sober....I'd say about 3 weeks into it, i was noticing i was sleeping/waking up easier and caffeine was a crutch for drinking all the time i didnt really need once i removed the drinking. that wasnt a goal or anything it just happened.

goongrats

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

its_my_birthday posted:

i used to get hosed up a lot a lot. i quit drinking in october. i still dream about it sometimes, but it's less often now than it was when it was fresh. now it just feels weird cause it's like quitting something you were good at it. i mean i practiced drinking way longer than pretty much any other skill i have lol. i was good at drinking.

at the same time i also quit dip after a ~15 year habit. at the peak of that i was going through a can of skoal a day. i was dipping in every shower, every car ride, every lunch break at work, after every meal, and after ever drink.

i had to quit both at the same time if i was gonna have any chance of quitting one of them and i basically went hardcore turtle depressed mode for over a week and only played video games to kill time. i don't want to downplay it too much cause it's important people understand how bad that first week sucks. i legit wanted to die. i kinda wanted to kill myself for a solid week. you really feel like an addict piece of poo poo that can't function sober. but you just gotta get through it.

oh and i ended up quitting caffeine too cause once i felt better sober....I'd say about 3 weeks into it, i was noticing i was sleeping/waking up easier and caffeine was a crutch for drinking all the time i didnt really need once i removed the drinking. that wasnt a goal or anything it just happened.

goongrats

Good for you man, that is really impressive! I quit cigarettes about a year after I stopped drinking and found it much easier. I can’t imagine trying to quit at the same time I stopped drinking, that sounds like absolute hell. Caffeine I can’t do without though, tried to quit that for a while but could not hack it

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Good for you man, that is really impressive! I quit cigarettes about a year after I stopped drinking and found it much easier. I can’t imagine trying to quit at the same time I stopped drinking, that sounds like absolute hell. Caffeine I can’t do without though, tried to quit that for a while but could not hack it

Thanks, congrats to you too!

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
I just get motion sickness when I get drunk and never liked it so drinking has never been a problem for me. I've never been high though, so I was actually thinking of changing that in 2022. Sorry I can't contribute to your sober thread, maybe I'll see you next year.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

You should try crystal meth

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Second sober January 1. :smugdog:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Stopped drinking in Sept 2019, stopped smoking weed in May 2021.

Stopping drinking a fifth a day was good for my physical health. My mental health started improving when I stopped abusing the gently caress out of weed, too.

Sobriety is good. I recommend not substituting one drug for another. Recovery groups are valuable to me personally, but I was very against them for a long time.

If anyone wants support or to talk about sobriety, PM me. It’s hard to make the decision to do it, and some days are harder than others. Doing it alone is much harder.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Sticking to just the weed if I can.

No more beer and cigs. Gonna be tough, but luckily I only smoke cigs when I drink for the most part. I drink a lot of beer though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Reiche posted:

Only problem is when I smoke I don’t dream. When I quit smoking, I dream frequently about smoking so it’s tough…

i used to smoke weed to stop myself from dreaming about, things i'd rather not have to think about after i wake up, but my brain has rebelled and now i dream all the time no matter how high i am when i go to sleep. i don't drink and haven't really done for coming up on a decade now though so i have that going for my liver at least

Jose posted:

went for a run today and didn't drink last night but i have taken drugs since going for said run so

:same:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 1, 2022

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
i have done sober january for the last 3-4 years because i always drink + smoke too much during the holidays. first time was hard but it gets easier! you can all do it!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
In Frebruary I may slimmer.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a serious alcohol problem. For the past few months I was drinking 750ml of whiskey a day. I ended up taking a trip to the hospital by the police at the beginning of November for suicide with a BAC of 0.412. The hospital made me sign an agreement that I wouldn't drink for 90 days or have any other mental health crises or else they could commit me for 6 months. Needless to say I finally have some motivation to stay sober now.

It's been almost 2 months and although I'm doing much better not drinking I'm still not in a good spot due to bipolar disorder. I've been getting ECT the past month and I can't drink during that either. I still have some to go but it's not working and I'm not doing well.

I plan on staying sober for January and beyond that. I hope all of you have a good time staying sober!

:glomp:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Don't drink anymore due to health reasons but drank alot when I was homeless. I was so miserable and it was an easy escape. Stopped once I had a roof over my head but quitting after drinking daily for over 2 years was a little rough, but other people have suffered way worse so I consider myself lucky. Never was a smoker. Now it's just brain pills and weed. Without weed my appetite is lousy and it helps manage pain.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a serious alcohol problem. For the past few months I was drinking 750ml of whiskey a day. I ended up taking a trip to the hospital by the police at the beginning of November for suicide with a BAC of 0.412. The hospital made me sign an agreement that I wouldn't drink for 90 days or have any other mental health crises or else they could commit me for 6 months. Needless to say I finally have some motivation to stay sober now.

It's been almost 2 months and although I'm doing much better not drinking I'm still not in a good spot due to bipolar disorder. I've been getting ECT the past month and I can't drink during that either. I still have some to go but it's not working and I'm not doing well.

I plan on staying sober for January and beyond that. I hope all of you have a good time staying sober!

two months is loving huge dude well played. I did ect when I was getting sober too and i feel like it did help but it was subtle and took me a while to notice. Keep at it for as long as you can, I hope you can make it a permanent change but even if you only stop for a few months it really helps your body. Now that youre sober I recommend taking up a really dumb hobby of some kind

ChunTheUnavoidable fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 1, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm not gonna relapse on coke or p2p meth once this year, hopefully no subsequent years either. I'm gonna keep my poo poo together, smoke weed when I got it and do ayahuasca 2x for brain upkeep and neurogenesis evangellion.

Drinking hasn't been an issue for about ten years. I would really love to stop vaping cuz it feels white trash and I really hate the slavery of addiction some days. Also my lungs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Lw53hFBIs

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Yo, got some sick ink for 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
is that adam lanza of the counting crows

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sweet Jesus my dude

Keep up the sobriety! You're doing fantastic with it! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
wtf where would i even find coke? lol it' be funny right, just a joke. just a little coke hmm