Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
bad shows:

Gekidol - Absolute nonsense, where each ep they introduced a new totally bonkers thing that just seemed designed to one-up the previous ep without advancing any established narratives. It was fun to group watch, at least.
Snow White Notes - Solid first ep, but it all went to poo poo when Rikako left the show. Really, though, as soon as it changed to being a high school club anime, it just wasn't very good.
Aquatope - I'm never choosing a two cour show for the prew@tch again. Appealing visual production and some individually good eps, but confused themes and dropped plot lines everywhere. Rikako got a halfway decent character arc, but Kukuru just meandered from situation to situation, never doing anything to actually fix problems, all the way to the end.
Pride of Orange - I feel like hockey + idols should be a decent formula, but not like this. The characters and their designs felt like that "can I copy your homework" meme with bandori characters, the hockey was dull, the idolling was unattached to anything, and all their victories felt unearned.

worst shows:

3. D4DJ Petit Mix - There were maybe two eps with jokes, in a comedy short series. It was really bad, and it looked like poo poo. I struggle to recall anything worthwhile about this show. Ranking a show with a total runtime of under 90 minutes says much for how strongly I feel about it.

2. Tokyo Revengers - I was watching this weekly with a friend, and like halfway through I just had to put my foot down and say no more. Mikey and Draken were fun characters, but our main boy was just awful and repeatedly made awful decisions. A smarter show might have done something with the immaturity of our nominally twenty something lead, or with the pubescent body he was in loving with his brain chemistry, or something, but this repeatedly felt like he had to make incredibly stupid decisions to continue pushing the decided-on plot. I rather doubt the author has the ability to write an intelligent narrative. Every time the protag was sobbing with self-revulsion, I was just thinking, "yeah dude, you probably should hate yourself." I also take issue with the message of "wow, you're in your mid 20s and are unhappy? Guess you're hosed if you can't go back in time to fix your life from your teenage years." Pretty good OP, though.

1. Idoly Pride - Weak unoriginal writing in general, too many indistinct characters, a doctor taking seriously the idea that a girl could have inherited her singing prowess from a donated heart, and of course the cowardice:

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

3. D4DJ First Mix - There were maybe two eps with jokes, in a comedy short series. It was really bad, and it looked like poo poo. I struggle to recall anything worthwhile about this show. Ranking a show with a total runtime of under 90 minutes says much for how strongly I feel about it.

You're mixing up D4DJ First Mix and D4DJ Petit Mix :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is true. Fixed, thanks

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I understand completely the reason for the three episode requirement, but for fucks sake, if I watch a person pick up a dog turd off the sidewalk and slap it between two moldy pieces of bread, do I really need to take a bite? There needs to be a one-time exception this year for that pair of poo poo sandwiches that are EX-ARM and Redo Of Healer, because demanding that people actually WATCH either of those is a level of sadism up with making a group of innocent kids look at a documentary on Goatse while drinking vomit. If you couldn't see & smell the tire fire from their trailers, I honestly suggest therapy.

Also, I propose that from now on, anime fans should react to EX-ARM the same way the Three Stooges would react to NI-AG-RA FALLS!

"Hey, what are we gonna watch?"
"I wanted to look at couple of eps of EX-ARM..."
EX-ARM?!?!?!
Slow-ly we turned...
Step by step...
INCH BY INCH...
(with the person saying it now chased by a mob with pitchforks & torches)

As far as something I watched completely and disliked, all I had was Tatoeba Last Dungeon Mae no Mura no Shounen ga Joban no Machi de Kurasu Youna Monogatari (Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies moved to a starter town? yadda yadda yadda...) I imagine with a better story, this idea might have turned out okay, if not great, but boy was this boringly animated, acted, and plotted. Repeating the joke "everyone reacts to OP character, who in turn remains more oblivious than a potato" multiple times in the same episode doesn't make it any funnier. Giving it a harem secondary plotline only made it feel more perfunctory. Not great, but hardly in the same cesspit as the above two shows.

Shows I watched one episode each before deciding they were going directions I wasn't interested in were Vlad Love, Sonny Boy, and Wonder Egg Priority, but those are shows I think deserve the three-episode test before declaring them bad. I just lost interest.

Waddaya think, sirs?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hot takes on avoided stuff are for cowards so I only have takes on a few things I watched and disliked:

1) Belle - Hosoda's movies generally rub me the wrong way but even as someone who can be a bit of a Hosoda-hater I was legit surprised at how messy this movie was. There's a third act twist that is outright ruinous to the rest of the movie because of its fumbled execution; Hosoda's brand of sentimentality just doesn't have the chops to pull it off. It just completely tarnishes any goodwill I had. His movies have gotten significantly weaker ever since he became the sole scriptwriter on his films and I hope that some day he gets someone to collaborate with him on his scripts again!

2) For Whom the Alchemist Exists - It's not from this year but 2021 was when it became readily available in English so I'm throwing it here anyways. A sluggishly-paced isekai that takes the bold move of having the conflict being about (ghost) slavery and deciding that both sides are at fault. More importantly it's also the kind of movie where if you were to write out what happens it'd sound wild as hell, but in practice it's practically sleepwalking through its story beats such that even the unhinged parts seem awfully banal. Also it's based on a mobile game which I say not to be dismissive of the idea but rather to point out that its roots become obvious in the third act in which there's a not insignificant amount of time dedicated to never before seen characters showing up and taking up screentime to pose and do special attacks during the final battle, in a way that lacks the panache to be effective to someone who doesn't know who they are.

3) Over the Sky - Another movie not from 2021 but that's when it was widely available in English. A girl falls into a coma, wakes up in a dream world, and has to remember the boy she likes in order to properly wake up in the real world. It's a dull execution of a story that has been done plenty of times; the dream world lacks imagination and the romance is too by the books to be invested in the girl waking up from her coma (spoilers: she does). It might also be a pet project made by a rich failson? The director has almost no credits to his name but he's also the producer and scriptwriter for this movie. I can't find any actual information about him outside of a fluff interview in which the interviewer said that this movie had the most incredible storyboards they've ever seen (what).

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Stuff I watched and hated:

Ore dake Haireru Kakushi Dungeon (The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter) - in fairness, I knew this was going to be trash, but it ended up being more trash than I expected. An almost interesting premise (I have an OP power that is fueled by me having an enjoyable life) that was saddled with the most uninteresting fan service possible. Oh and the weird incest vibes the sister constantly gave off, can't forget that.

Stuff I avoided:

Redo of Healer - I took the thread's warnings about rape to heart and decided it wasn't even worth watching to see how bad it would get.

World's Finest Assassin - I read the manga, and figured it wasn't worth watching the show to see if they scrubbed out the creepy brainwashing or the sexualizing of young teens.

Mushoku Tensei - Another one where I read the manga first. I knew there was no way that they were going to strip out the awful grooming, sexual assault, and pedo bullshit so that I could enjoy the actual good parts of the story, so I didn't waste my time on watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Nemo2342 posted:

Stuff I avoided:

World's Finest Assassin - I read the manga, and figured it wasn't worth watching the show to see if they scrubbed out the creepy brainwashing or the sexualizing of young teens.

If anything, they added more.