Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here are the rules, same as every year, as set in stone by the lawgiver Namtab:

1.) Pick 3 titles from the list that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted (weighted votes may be counted seperately)
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

To be clear, the reason for rule 1 is to avoid everyone's lists being filled with incest animes you didn't watch. I'd much rather focus on things you tried but didn't like, and the reasons why.

Most Avoided Anime

The main worst anime votes require you to have put in at least a three episode test. This is different. This is about the anime that you felt the need to avoid based on the premise, the anime that you watched one episode then turned it off in disgust. This is your wildcard vote and will go into its own competition

1.) You now get three votes in this category. Choose wisely
2.) There is no minimum watch period. You don't even have to have seen it!
3.) Put a reason why you avoided it. Generate that discussion!
4.) Once again, feel free to debate and discuss choices
5.) Don't be a bigot when using this vote.

I won't be counting these votes or engaging with this thread any further as it goes against my philosophy. You're on your own from here. Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Thanks gorf

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song-: I got all hyped to watch this cause I love Detroit Become Human and this is a super obvious rip-off in all aspects, but its very repetitive and shallow

The Deer King: almost fell asleep. But didn't, although I wish I did

Etotama: Nyankyaku Banrai: This finally got translated after months (and released after years in production hell where it turned from a sequel series to an ova) but it was really not very good. Barely even featured the world famous CGI, which everyone knows is the best CGI in the business.

Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness : Piece of poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

5.) Don't be a bigot when using this vote.
remember the year yuri on ice aired an the worst anime thread was 90% 'i refused to watch yuri on ice BUT IM NOT A HOMOPHOBE'

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

as an ally i watched 2 episodes before putting it on permanent hold

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

as an ally i watched 2 episodes before putting it on permanent hold

Thank you for your allyship o7

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Higurashi When They Cry Sotsu was a total rehash of Higurashi When They Cry Gou, which was itself a rehash of the original Higurashi When They Cry. This innovative and layered approach to timewasting earns it my vote for Worst Anime of 2021

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

oh yeah, runners-up:
- 86 Season 2 and Magia Record Season 2 were extremely disappointing coming off their outstanding first seasons, but are merely decent and mid respectively, not outright bad
- Wonder Egg Priority's terrible ending can't erase the first six episodes from existence, hard as it might try
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean is lukewarm, but I probably would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't spoiled myself a few months ago via Wikia

I don't have a Most Avoided because a show I avoided watching is hard to even remember months after the fact, let alone say anything about

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is roughly in decreasing order of how much I liked the show.

Love Live! Superstar!!: It's definitely not a bad show and it's got nice enough production values, but it's here because of my frustrations with Love Live as a franchise. This is the fourth separate continuity they've made and still they're doing the exact same cookie cutter setup: new school idol club forming, student council hating, school dying. The school here is literally in its first year of operation too. How the hell is it struggling already? The setting in Love Live each time has school idols already be massively popular all over the country. Why not try exploring that from any other direction? Have someone try to join a school's established idol club, but never get the chance to stand out because there's too many people. Take the viewpoint of the big rival school trying to fend off the upstarts. I had hope that the reduced cast size would at least change up the characters, but all they really do is pretend to have a character arc for two episodes before going into the same antics as every other season. All they've effectively done is consolidating down the one-note gimmick characters. And even with the smaller cast, the rivals might as well be non-characters who don't even get to sing on-screen, so the competition angle the show kinda maybe tries to push is completely hollow and meaningless.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (TV) Season 2: I don't really get the hype around this one. The sports narrative is extremely bog standard, and it's hard to get invested in any of the side characters when the show flits about so frequently on choosing who to focus on. I was particularly annoyed by the plot point where the rivals, teammates, fans, and coach all encouraged Tokai Teio to keep running against her doctor's advice and after breaking her leg on three separate occasions. Like I don't doubt the well-being of individual racehorses isn't the highest priority irl, but it's a lot weirder to square when they're ostensibly people.

Backflip!!: It's just shallow. The visual metaphors are obvious to the point of being meaningless (Wow. Jumping really high? That's just like flying, man. Now in case you missed it, let's go look at these birds fifty more times), and the characters come off like tertiary characters in a modern Fire Emblem game, defined more by their one unique hobby than anything else (this is the kung fu movie guy, this is the idol otaku guy, and so forth). We even have the rival team who just so happens to consist of the exact same one-to-one hobbies, which works okay as a joke once and then gets awfully repetitive and predictable on each revisit. We never get to see any team bonding moments, because even when they're goofing off and playing hide-and-seek in the school at night, they're always splintered off into the same little groups of two or three. So when our protagonist Shotaro pushes past his wrist injury out of a vague desire to stay with the team in its current form, it feels hollow. The whole handling of the wrist injury is especially clumsy in particular. We get shown explicitly that the team's coach lost his own career due to performing while injured, yet it takes minimal pleading from Shotaro to convince him to let him participate in the tournament anyway against his doctor's advice. Then the team wins no problem, because of course they do, and all that happens to Shotaro is being told to rest for a month. It's cheap drama where consequences were never a real possibility.

Pretty Boy Detective Club: I've never been super into Nisio's writing, but this one is pretty (ha) disappointing compared with what I've seen of Monogatari, Zaregoto, or Katanagatari. Even when the detective boys get outlandish cases like mysterious mass kidnappings or a string of attempted murders, the characters never drop their very blase attitudes, so the whole thing lacks any bite. It's only until the final episode where the writing and animation finally get interesting in exploring the head of the culprit, but that moment is soon set aside for the story to do the generic ending of championing the values of friendship or whatever.

Those Snow White Notes: The kind of show where it seems like the author ran out of ideas incredibly early on. The school tournament is a boring cookie cutter setup where the show has to devote a significant portion of its runtime to try to convince why a team of 80% complete beginners can place competitively. I don't think the author actually knows much about how the shamisen is played when every scene is the same spiel of "The sound was like a storm, shaking me to my core" and never anything specific about things like timbre or vibrato or whatever.

The Vampire Dies in No Time: This got the occasional chuckle out of me, but so much of it is either setups I've already seen executed better in other comedies like Gintama or horribly dated jokes about how overweight women are scary. The exploitation of the cute animal mascot on top of all that just feels cheap and lazy more than anything else.

Mieruko-chan: It got interesting at the end, but most of this show feels pointless because it's just Miko being scared of ghosts who have never been shown harming any human on-screen. Each scene then drags because of its fake tension before finally getting to the point of nothing happening and the status quo never budging. The bait and switch in the last few eps was funny at least.

Selection Project: Somehow this recycled multiple major plot beats from Idoly Pride including the heart transplant for one of the leads, but at least this show bothered characterizing its cast. The whole conceit of the reality TV show pretty much actively hurt the show though. It was telegraphed from the start that they weren't going to ever cut anyone, so it was a hollow threat that doubled as a total waste of time.

WIXOSS Diva(A)Live: Has some okay jokes but it's let down by putting the card game front and center and still not explaining any of the mechanics, so the game flow is next to impossible to distinguish. The conditions for winning are also vaguely defined because apparently you can apparently still win on audience hype votes despite losing in the card game itself? Anyway, the English version of WIXOSS finally came out this month and I'm sure it'll be very successful despite absolutely zero marketing. :)

The Aquatope on White Sand: Extremely confused focus that seemed like the product of a series of last minute rewrites. The supernatural quality of the aquarium is never mentioned again after it closes down at the halfway mark. Our main character struggles with working with a bitchy coworker until she learns she has a kid two eps later and they almost instantly become friends. Episode 22 of 24 pivots to championing environmentalism, telling our animal lover protagonist that the sea turtles are dying much to her surprise. Any hints of drama are quashed immediately or at best given two eps to stew before getting solved away. And worst of all is the fish racism. The show features episodes about crabs, sea slugs, dolphins, sea turtles, and especially penguins. Where's the fish love?!

The World Ends With You: They cut out all the jokes and the CGI looks bad. F the ramen sidequest. F it to high heaven.

Wonder Egg Priority:

Pride of Orange: An insult to hockey more than anything else, where game tickets are sold more in-universe on the strength of the idol concert, and no one really shows any real passion for hockey with how little they focus on it. The narrative is super thin, only living on generic platitudes like "believing in your teammates" while never bothering to spend time showing any character development to make it seem real. The girls win hockey games that don't feel deserved, and they put on perfect performances despite seemingly never practicing singing. This is probably the 2021 show with the most visibly troubled production I've seen with how heavy it goes in on the stills and montages (which also usually shows the girls hanging out instead of working on either of their pursuits).

The Night Beyond the Tricornered Window: Confused mess of an adaptation where it neither looks good nor is easy to follow. The breakneck pacing and awful subs certainly did not help its case. There's little reason to care about any of the characters when it's a struggle to even remember what they're trying to do and how they're planning on doing it. It is funny how the mom never gets a name despite being a pivotal character in the plot though.

D4DJ Petit Mix: A short that took a decent one cour anime and went in the direction of weak character design accompanied by even weaker characterization. A waste of time that actively hurt my opinion of the parent anime.

Gekidol: I don't really know how to start with this one so I'll steal Cant's post about it.

quote:

in another server, I said that that each ep of gekidol has picked one of:
・aspiring theater troupe
・aspiring actress
・rival actress
・society just past a apocalyptic catastrophe, still reeling from its aftermath
・robo murder
・budding homosexuality
・survivor's guilt
・evil rival theater guy

By the time we get to the secret twin switch reveal and the time cops roll in, the main theater troupe feels very tertiary to the... I guess we'll say plot? Incredible whiplash to try to follow the narrative, but it's the most interesting bad show on this list.

Anyway, I don't care about Namtab's Gorf's categories. Here's my top 3 worst picks.

3. Idoly Pride: Somehow we took a ghost idol premise and wrote the most generic, predictable storyline possible. It is perhaps also the most alienating show, because it is widely beloved in the community, and I do not understand at all why. The cast is pointlessly bloated, sharing about three unique haircuts between the dozen of them, and most characters get one line an episode if they're lucky. The show centers around a tournament, where our protagonists split into two units of five to compete, and they effortlessly win every round, beating even the formidable veteran rivals who get maybe eight minutes to have their complete character arc. In the end, the two protag units face each other in the finals, where they tie and the tournament declares them both winners. Woooooooooooo, no lessons needed for anyone. (Literally also, they were self-taught how to be idols for half the show!) At least the subplot where everyone assumed the girl's dead idol heart transplant was why she could sing was funny.

2. Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut: This might be the most young adult novel anime I've ever seen. The mood is all over the place, the vampire element serves no purpose other than a janky racism subplot we barely acknowledge (until we change everyone's minds with one speech at the end), and half the show is made up of romcom tropes that were already dated by the mid-2000s. Incredibly funny finale though, I'll have to give it that.

1. Moriarty the Patriot S2: Asinine show with politics for teens who thought Death Note was too complex. S2 somehow threw away everything it had going for it (the revenge fantasy) to ape Code Geass and have tortured soul William James Moriarty plan to die for his sins for the betterment of society, even though literally everyone he murdered was a completely unrepentant cartoon villain who bragged about raping children or whatever. At least S1 had stupid murder plots to laugh at. S2 fills its time with boring as hell secret political dealings that don't matter because everyone immediately sides with Moriarty anyway, be it the police, government, or Sherlock freaking Holmes himself.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh boy!

Official top 3:

Wonder Egg Priority: An easy pick for number one, because seriously, what the gently caress happened here? I know a lot of people jumped ship when we got to the bizarre back story episode for Neiru or the thoroughly insane explanation for who the villain of the show actually is, and I don't begrudge them that at all. At the same time I carried through because there was a through line to carry, at the center of the show was the relationship between the four girls and the challenges inflicted on them by the systems that had unchecked power over them. Even if what was going on with Neiru was bizarre and insane and stretched credulity and cosmology in a series where people fought hypothetical monsters in a dream space to save suicide victims, the show was still about how Neiru connected with Ai and the others. Even if the back story of Frill was seriously bizarre bordering on :biotruths: there was still a sense that some of the blame for what she was doing had a lot to do with the two dubious rear end in a top hat mannequin men whose accounts of what happened probably shouldn't be trusted unreservedly.

And then the final episode happened and it was a confusing pileup that didn't resolve protagonist's primary motivation nor did it fully explain what was going on with the extremely creepy dude who is framed as being in part or entirely responsible for the death of her friend. It had an interesting high concept for the final episode, but it didn't conclude absolutely anything that the show had set up (or stand on its own for that matter). Of course that was sort of expected going into it, poo poo was seriously dire over at CloverWorks and they lost an episode and so it was pretty much immediately announced that the real final episode would be released in summer. And then it turned out that 40 minute episode was actually half recap and then 20 of the most jaw-dropping minutes of television I've ever seen. To put it bluntly, the last time I remember show going so far to immolate itself was Eureka 7 and that is not a nice comparison to make. Not only did the show do the most gutwrenchingly brutal character slaughter of every single person it could get its hands on, it also ran over the series main themes with a bus, gave them all two shots behind the ears execution style, and buried them in a shallow grave. After having a consistent theme of support and solidarity for victims of abuse the show suddenly backpedaled so hard I got whiplash by trying to pretend the creepy fucker who was very obviously trying to groom the protagonist after maybe doing the same to her friend and had repeatedly done very very VERY inappropriate things for the entire course the series was totally innocent of wrongdoing. Meanwhile, Ai's friend was actually just insane in the most jaw-droppingly awful display of lovely "bitches be crazy yo" victim blaming I have ever seen. Also, all the main characters stop being friends for no particularly good reason despite literally everything the show had said and done, and it ended on a cliffhanger because someone somewhere wanted another season of this I guess. gently caress off.

All that gets even uglier with reports out of Cloverworks of one of the project leads for the anime nearly working themselves to death to make Wonder Egg Priority, having had to be hospitalized multiple times from crunch. Allegedly they said they didn't care they died because the show was worth more than their life, and no. Even if they were making loving Gurren Lagann nobody should die for the sake of television, and boy howdy was the show not Gurren Lagann...

SSSS.Dynazenon: And speaking of shows that aren't Gurren Lagann, this 3.5/10 Mecha anime.

Now I'd like to say in advance I don't actually like to rock the boat, I don't like stirring up drama, I don't like being the nail that sticks out, I don't like being the fly in the ointment. There's a reason I never posted in the Gridman/Dynazenon thread, there's a reason I deleted some of my own posts when the subject came up, and there's a reason I just don't engage in discussion of that show because what is there for me to say really? But those are those threads and this is this thread and you know what? I think the show just loving sucks.

The original Gridman anime was a good show that could have been a great show, it was easily around an 8/10 but it could've that made it all the way to a 10/10 if they had just run it very slightly differently. All the pieces were there, but as far as I'm concerned they were put together incorrectly. These two pieces don't connect right, this plot point was put together back to front, this character was used incorrectly, this scene didn't have the right framing and impact... That's what I felt like watching it all the way through, that it didn't quite come together but it COULD HAVE and it was genuinely crushing how close it came. But it did well enough that it got a sequel and I was really genuinely hoping they could pull it out for Dynazenon. They did not.

Dynazenon sucks. 90% of the cast do nothing. The villains are all uninteresting. Nobody's character arc resolves in a satisfying matter. Most of the middle episodes are completely irrelevant and do nothing for anyone. The initial pitch of the show goes nowhere. The action sequences were not any better than Gridman and I felt that Gridman was holding itself back by leaning so hard into the tokusatsu aesthetic. None of its big ideas were used in an interesting way or resolved satisfactorily. Gauma sucks and it was miserable how much time and attention was given to him. They tried to do the dream episode from Gridman but was just so much worse in every imaginable way, that episode gave an interesting perspective into Akane's character and into the protagonists as well, Dynazenon meanwhile doesn't bother to give the antagonists character and only the female lead has any depth to her so it's a drat shame that she was saddled with so many dead weights. Oh and shoutouts to them bring back the two most mishandled protagonists from Gridman! They weren't any better here than they were there.

Easily the best episode of the show was episode 9 which was explicitly about the one character who was defined as "the one who's there and we don't do anything with" and so it was frustrating that after having her blow the rest of the cast out of the water they just bury her again by putting her in the pigeonhole of the unimportant one who does nothing, and then doubling back to give a resolution that feels totally inferior to what Ojamajo Doremi did with a similar character 20 loving years ago in a Magical Girl show for kids with a fraction of the budget. And the entire rest of the show was utterly mishandled. We had a really good first couple of episodes and then it just fell into the abyss and spun its wheels doing nothing interesting or compelling and it makes me feel like I'm taking loving crazy pills every single time I hear someone gush about the show. I am really curious what show all the people nominating it for AOTY were watching, because I would really like to see that good show with the subtle characterization and quiet and powerful emotional storytelling and excellent character arcs and immersive slice of life narrative all the other things I've seen it praised for because the Dynazenon I saw had none of that. At the same time there was something of a pantomime in the show though, it seemed to act couple of times like it had deep and compelling characters that had been given a thorough and thoughtful exploration, which is nice except they hadn't. And man, I would've loved to have seen the version of the show that had all that stuff in it. Oh well.

Fool me twice, shame on me I guess. Pretty sure Gridman X Dynazenon is going on my most avoided list for for whatever year it comes out in. And now I'm done.

Digimon Adventure (2020): So I spat on this show for a while in the Summer Thread and don't feel like repeating myself wholesale. The new perspective I will bring, though, is hindsight. Hindsight is 20:20 and hindsight on the show is that Covid hosed it up badly. As the Blu-rays have released we've gotten some glimpses of the original plan and surprisingly tacit admissions that the five-month hiatus the show suffered through in the middle of 2020 absolutely butchered the pacing and originally intended narrative the show. I would have really loved to have seen the show that Adventure 20 wanted to be when it first started airing, because for the first portion of the series there was a strong sense of focus and intentionality behind it. The stuff that was happening felt like it was happening for a clear, focused, direct reason with the intent of paying off. Then it didn't.

And to be fair to the production team a lot of what happened was not their fault. It wasn't their fault that a pandemic hit right as they were starting a show that was going to have 16 lead actors that were going to have to interact with each other on a regular basis forcing them to scale back and making them split the cast up half a dozen times and avoid interpersonal drama entirely. It also wasn't their fault that orders from above said that these two particular Digimon HAD to show up by this state and this other date to tie into real-world events and the release of certain products, pacing be damned. No doubt there are many other problems that the loss of five months and real-world safety concerns caused.

At the same time, by the end of the show it is noteworthy how utterly EXHAUSTED the whole production felt. I absolutely believe that most of the episodes of the final arc were phoned in, I am nigh unto certain that a good number of those episodes happen because they were contractually obligated to have this thing happen and for this many episodes to air. The whole thing is pervasive air of "gently caress it, let's do it for the paycheck" and that is not a sense that was there at the start of a series and it is not a good look for a show in general. And to be fair the production did rally and the final episodes were about as good as we were going to get out of the show at that point, but you know they say about polishing and turds right?

Fingers still crossed for Ghost Game, which at present moment has been pretty drat solid so far.

Honorable mentions:

Muteking: I was here for the show, a goofy psychedelic eighties roller disco anime about a transforming superhero who fights evil octopus Steve Jobs and his evil VTubers with the power of seventies tokusatsu music? The only thing that could turn me off a show with that premise was if it was incredibly boring and repetitive. A show that disappointing would easily get in my honorable mentions list for worst anime of the year. A drat shame this one.

The Aquatope on White Sand: Why the hell did this get a second cour? Especially a bizarrely confused and mean-spirited second cour? This show could and should have been done within 13 episodes and it would have so much stronger for it.

Kyoukai Senki: This show sucks a lot but it is an incredibly enjoyable bad show for me at least. The show has dumb, thinly sketched characters who are frequently at odds with their own established characterization, a bizarre setting that doesn't make a lot of sense, weird story decisions, lame and stupid plot twists, and a paralyzing fear of doing anything interesting or challenging or morally ambiguous which is doubly laughable considering the basic pitch of the drat show. On the other hand, the show exists entirely as a training vehicle to let a new stable of animators at Sunrise cut their teeth doing giant robot action, and so in the end it probably doesn't matter that the dude behind Gundam Build Divers (the bad one) is turning in a thoroughly mediocre anime. And not for nothing but the giant robot action actually is good whenever the show stops pretending anyone cares about the plot.

Healin Good Precure: My experience with precure is extremely feast or famine. If it works for me I am there all the way (as it is for the currently airing Tropical Rouge), if it doesn't I tend to find it dreadful and this one was pretty dreadful. The theme of the series was weakly sketched, the cast were not particularly impressive or compelling, the story is weak, and it is astonishing how little Aoi Yuki is given to do in the show. If I didn't know in advance she was the lead I honestly would never have guessed it, and I have to wonder why you hire her if you aren't going to let her strut her stuff.

Pretty Boy Detective Club: I think this show is my go to example now for style over substance. I only watched the three episodes of the first arc so god knows what happens down the road, but in those three episodes the show was unbelievably, almost narcissistically self impressed and doing all sorts of ridiculous flourishes and overly loquacious dialogue and cocksure narration and it was just insufferable. A lot of shiny lights, a lot of fancy flourishes and not really a lot to show for all of it. You would think that a show obsessed with showing off would spend some of that time illustrating a pivotal plot point in amongst all of that hyperactive directing and crazy stylish shot composition and camera trickery, but I guess actually telling the story would get in the way of showing off.

Most Avoided:

Promised Neverland S2: This was a property that I never really got into, and sadly I feel like I dodged a bullet given the stuff I've seen online about this season. Seriously, there was some really bad poo poo going down at Cloverworks this year, and I hope the people there got out of it all right…

My Next Life As Villainess S2: One season was enough of this for me thanks. I actually got a little bit tired of the central joke by the end of the first season, and indications from the people who'd read the LNs was that it probably wasn't going to push forward in this season.

The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace: When I hear the first episode of a show ends in a violent rape I take it off my list, simple as that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I don't tend to watch terrible anime, so this list is almost always a bit tricky to put together. (Well, I don't watch terrible new anime much. Terrible old OVAs are research, and terrible old Gundam is the result of my soul being bound by gravity. Neither is quite the same.)

This year, however, is different. This year had a poo poo-ton of mech anime, which means it had a bunch of bad mech anime, which meant that I had enough for this list where I didn't bail on sight.

3) Kyoukai Senki season 1 isn't much worse than Sakugan or Megaton Musashi. Get a couple shots in me, I might even be able to argue it's better. At minimum, it has hand drawn mech fights that sometimes look good, and that's worth something. But unlike Megaton Musashi, I kept up with this one, and it had one good episode to make me keep slogging. And then it immediately went into two of the dullest episodes in the series. I have to respect that kind of dedication to pissing off the viewer, and thus, it earned a spot.

2) As above, so below. If Gundam gets an entry on the best list with Hathaway, so must Gundam get something on the worst list in this, the year of Our Lord 2021, when giant robots abundance rejoices and want is keenly felt. And due to the Covid delays, the first award on this list goes to SD Gundam World Sangoku Soketsuden. A terrible show on its own merits, it also had the abysmal luck to release an episode titled "The Yellow Plague" right before Covid shut the world down. The phrase "awkward" seems insufficient. It would have been a fitting end to the show, but we got three more episodes anyway, because suffering is but a chore. But even it didn't get the gold, because 2021 also gave us...

1) SD Gundam: World Heroes. Where Sangoku Soketsuden was at least mercifully short at 10 half sized episodes, World Heroes was just as bad, but over four times as long with 24 standard length episodes worth of boredom, poor comedy, dull action, one note characters, and tedious pacing. But that alone isn't worth the gold.

No, that comes from the five episode flashback arc that just recapped the majority of the previous show to pad the runtime with no changes.

I know that, given the kit sales, it's unlikely Bandai will stop making these shows (even if the viewer numbers dropped from over 5 million for episode 1 to under 200k for the finale) but I just wanted to make it very clear that it's terrible.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
only bad thing i watched was Wonder Egg Priority which went from genuinely very promising to a fascinating trainwreck

most avoided that i actually remember is probably Promised Neverland S2 which by all accounts was a bafflingly bad adaptation that cut a ton of material for no clear reason?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

We had a really good first couple of episodes and then it just fell into the abyss and spun its wheels doing nothing interesting or compelling and it makes me feel like I'm taking loving crazy pills every single time I hear someone gush about the show. I am really curious what show all the people nominating it for AOTY were watching, because I would really like to see that good show with the subtle characterization and quiet and powerful emotional storytelling and excellent character arcs and immersive slice of life narrative all the other things I've seen it praised for because the Dynazenon I saw had none of that
sometimes people have different opinions than you op

edit: to be clear im not mad you dont like dynazenon, i have some criticism of it too, its just kinda lame to frame it like people who liked it MUST have watched an entirely different show instead of just seeing something in it or getting something from it you didn't. you didn't like the show and id never say we didnt watch the same show.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 4, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

#1: Ex-ARM (watched in full): The reason why Ex-ARM is bad is not because of the animation... it's that there's nothing to the show beyond the few GIF-able moments every other episode has. Yeah, there are a couple of episodes that are so baffling they're entertaining the whole way through (the 'school' episode), but most episodes are about as boring as anime gets. You will forget character names easily, you will lose track of why the squad is in the situation they're in, or why anything matters. They somehow managed to make a JRPG-esque final boss encounter with a cyber-Akira boring. Their attempts to tittilate with bunny suits and girl kisses are rendered all the stranger by their incompetence at filmmaking. There is really nobody that this is for. It's not for sci-fi nerds, because they put no effort into worldbuilding. It's not for otaku, because it's endless uncanny valley. It's not for action fans, because there's usually only 3-4 minutes of action at best in an episode and it's so badly choreographed and staged that achieves the opposite of its intentions. Don't do this again.

#2: Tesla Note: Another odd Ex-ARM style production but nowhere near as bad as that... it actually manages to string together a couple of watchable episodes with enjoyable banter. But besides ultimately being mediocre, it shares a similar problem to Ex-ARM which is that I just don't care about the stakes or about the fate of the characters. I think production values really can play a role in how immersive the storytelling is, which is on display with my top 2... but there's just something really off and weird about the premise of this anime anyway. Tesla is hiding secret technology in crystals? And there's just randos winding up with them? At least try to suspend my disbelief OR lean into the insane pitch... Tesla Note kind of sits in between which is the real shame.

#3: Sleeping Princess: This just comes down to subjective taste for me... the comedy felt far more one-note in this than in Nozaki-kun. Repeated gags, very similar story punchlines. Also feels more 'cute' than funny... I'm sure it's fine if you have certain expectations going in, but this one disappointed me. Banger of an OP though.

Dishonorable Mention: I can't give it a rank because I didn't watch it, but I don't understand why the new Higurashi exists other than money. Fena Pirate Princess had some serious lack of swashbuckling and maybe could've learned a couple of things from Rage of Bahamut.

Most Avoided: maybe it's unfair but when I saw that Househusband was a motion comic instead of a proper anime I swore it off immediately. I don't get why Netflix did that, let alone thought they were being unique or innovative. that's some late-2000s DC Comics poo poo.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 4, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I have watched only two bad shows all the way through this year: Battle Game in 5 Seconds and JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD. (I love how Crunchyroll puts the title in all caps with no colon like that.)

2: Battle Game in 5 Seconds: There isn't really much to say about Battle Game; it's the kind of thing where I'm sure the people who say the manga is better are right, and I'll probably give the manga a chance at some point, but I have trouble believing that some of my issues with the characterization could be fixed with any amount of additional internal monologue. The characters' actions and backstories are those of seinen and shonen manga archetypes; despite supposedly being selected at random from the general population, a disproportionate number are serial killers or similar psychopaths, super-geniuses who predict things that shouldn't really be predictable and sometimes gloat but never panic, martial artists who think nothing of losing an arm for the sake of an arbitrary code of honor, and so forth. (Even if we assume that the annoying game master character was lying about the random selection, I have trouble buying that some of these people exist at all.) And yet I can't hate it as much as I probably should; some of the fight scenes are neat, some of the scheming is neat even if it's implausible that it works so well, and that's all you can really expect from this kind of show.

1: JORAN THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD: Joran is the really interesting one, because it shows how a bad show can disguise itself as a good one at first by "hiding the ball" and having a few distinctive visual/stylistic elements. (Of course, it’s far from the only work of fiction to do this, but it does it especially “well.”) By such subtle techniques as cutting back and forth between locations without clearly establishing relative geography, the audience is confused without being quite sure what it is confused about, and thus to some extent blames itself rather than the show for the confusion. By including just a few early points of plot and characterization that are legitimately implied rather than stated explicitly, you can create the illusion that there are other implied plot points the viewer hasn't noticed yet. By keeping the details of the setting and the characters' motivations unclear, you can delay until the last few episodes the audience's realization that at least one character's motivations are wildly inconsistent, and that a government this dysfunctional shouldn't have lasted this long. The fake-out deaths actually seem somewhat clever the first couple times; the third or so time turns the show into self-parody, but of course it doesn't happen until over halfway in. And all this is done with a "straight face" and without giant robots, so it gets some benefit of the doubt that other "twist"-heavy anime wouldn't get.

Even Joran isn't all bad; it has some genuine pathos due to Sawa and Asahi having much less convoluted motivations than the people around them, and the scenes where it allows itself to be a dumb action show are pretty cool.

Most Avoided:
3. The World's Finest Assassin Gets Reincarnated in Another World
2. Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory
1. Redo of Healer

EX-ARM is not listed under most avoided because I can see myself checking out a YouTube compilation of the worst-animated bits at some point, even if I would never watch the whole thing or even a whole episode.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 5, 2022

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

actually completed a decent amount of shows that I thought were bad to fill out a top 5 so lets go with my top 3

3) LBX-Girls - Level 5's spin off/AU to LBX around a girl sent to another world to fight an invasion using magic armor. Usually I'm down for this even if the series is average or below averaged but show couldn't even manager that as the lead was annoying, visuals were sub part to awful and the show's pacing was just off. And than things fell apart at the end with a flashback episode and a finale that was under animated and under directed.

2) Vlad Love - Mamoru Oshii's big return to TV anime and comedy, and Yuri comedy to boot....And it's ends up a big huge mess that is neither funny nor has actually any relationships at all. Long stretches of talking that just really lead to nowhere, what humor there is being dates and the little time spent on giving our leads any chemistry just means this misses the mark all around. Oshii's return to anime writing has been a big miss so far (I'm super down on his Hemingway Lupin episode and found his other Lupin episode to be merely okay) and this easily would of been #1 for me any other year if it wasn't for...

1) Wonder Egg Priority- Started out so promising with a cool setting and dealing with some important issues. But not only the shows production started to crack but the issues the show dealt with became...worrying as it seemed to more take the parents/teacher side (the writer has apparently done this before with Live Action shows). Not to mention it's main plot reveal was a confusing mess that felt out of left field...But I still probably wouldn't have placed it at number 1 if it was for the god awful final episode where it ended up 'This girl be crazy' resolution and I was like why did I waste my time on this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
of the two anime that had a profound negative impact on me this year both were narratives about depressed teenage lesbians written by 40 year old men who've written pro trans narratives but of the two only one has compared trans rights to the iraq war and wonder egg's descent felt like a boring old man version of a more insane magical girl anime while sotsugyou was just kind of on par with any of ryukishi's worse scripts so i will give the dragon knight 07 a pass for just writing something i've recently come to learn through other works he is very capable of making: something with twisted and violent girls who kill people but somehow still isn't that good. at least he doesn't have a history of sharing controversial views on lesbianism online.

vlad love also kinda sucked but that's mostly just cause oshii forgot to put any jokes or characters in

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 4, 2022

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Record of Ragnarok. This could have been a fun, solid battle anime. The manga is good! Instead, we got just powerpoint presentations of fights. I was really looking forward to this and it was a massive disappointment.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i havent watched most mentioned thus far in the thread but i'd say uramichi oniisan, which i finished. i liked the few chapters of manga i read but in the transition to toon the directors inability to have any sort of comedic timing really hurt it. and some of the characters just sucked like the unfunny singer oniisan

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
3.takt op.Destiny
Just boring but at least it looked nice at times.

2. The Promised Netherland S2
Why even make a second season if the intention is to make it rushed and bad? It would have just been better leaving us having fond memories of the first season.

1. Wonder Egg Priority
From being curious about what it was going to be about before the first episode aired to being excited over the first several episodes to having the worry start to creep in to the realisation that it had become bad and finally to disbelief at the final episode. It's sad to see something come off the rails so dramatically.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

#1: Ex-ARM (watched in full): The reason why Ex-ARM is bad is not because of the animation... it's that there's nothing to the show beyond the few GIF-able moments every other episode has. Yeah, there are a couple of episodes that are so baffling they're entertaining the whole way through (the 'school' episode), but most episodes are about as boring as anime gets. You will forget character names easily, you will lose track of why the squad is in the situation they're in, or why anything matters. They somehow managed to make a JRPG-esque final boss encounter with a cyber-Akira boring. Their attempts to tittilate with bunny suits and girl kisses are rendered all the stranger by their incompetence at filmmaking. There is really nobody that this is for. It's not for sci-fi nerds, because they put no effort into worldbuilding. It's not for otaku, because it's endless uncanny valley. It's not for action fans, because there's usually only 3-4 minutes of action at best in an episode and it's so badly choreographed and staged that achieves the opposite of its intentions. Don't do this again.

The EX-ARM anime absolutely gutted the story too. Like they completely cut out the robot brothel part, or the fact that the maid android (the one they put in all the advertising) killed all those people because she was following the orders of a catatonic ex-dictator which discussed the lengths androids are expected to go to be useful to humans. That was supposed to be a central theme of the arc. You'd never notice that though because lol this show.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 4, 2022

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
1) redo of healer: Jesus Christ. If you're gonna apply to Lilith Soft just send them your resume.

2) Getter Arc: If this were a stand alone series like kyoukai senki I would have been fine writing it off as a forgettable Pacific Rim Black or BBK/BRNK but as the final send off to Getter. It's just sad. Especially with all the former talent coming back to the grandfather of transforming and combining mecha. The child Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa it's just a tragedy.

3) Mushoku Tensei: this is the best show I've ever seen that is so close to being something worth remembering. But it just keeps loving up. Beautiful to watch. Terrible to pay attention to.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sazabi posted:

1) redo of healer: Jesus Christ. If you're gonna apply to Lilith Soft just send them your resume.

Ugh, I forgot that was this year. Editing my previous post.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The EX-ARM anime absolutely gutted the story too. Like they completely cut out the robot brothel part, or the fact that the maid android (the one they put in all the advertising) killed all those people because she was following the orders of a catatonic ex-dictator which discussed the lengths androids are expected to go to be useful to humans. That was supposed to be a central theme of the arc. You'd never notice that though because lol this show.

yeah the original manga isnt amazing, but its an alright 90s sci-fi action ova type thing. even if the animation/direction hadnt been terrible they would have still gutted a lot of its plot elements.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The only thing I watched enough of to qualify and disliked was

1. Urasekai Picnic, mostly for just being a disappointing adaption.

I stopped watching Wonder Egg Priority before the turn for the worst.

Avoided:
1. Mushoku Tensei.
2. Digimon Adventure. Was looking forward to it, saw the first episode, forgot it was going to air, and then only heard negative things about it.
3. Mahouka. I actually watched the first season a few years ago without knowing anything about it. Definitely a mistake I wasn't going to repeat.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
oh Urasekai Picnic also goes on my worst list I totally forgot about it. really bad adaptation all-around

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I rank mine based on feelings of betrayl!

1. The Promised Neverland S2- Top of the list for sure due to the juxtaposition with S1, but doubly so for the shock of it all. There was no indication that it would be skipping (best arc) Goldy Pond leading up to debut and expectations were already proportionally high due to the exceptional S1.
There was mild alarm with the immediate drop of quality in boarding, 2D animation and CG implementation which, okay, I still enjoyed Re:Zero S2, I know I can deal with a downgrade. Then the major plot changes began which, okay, I know the manga was a little muddled, maybe this will streamline the whole thing. And the author is overseeing it, so it could take us to some exciting places closer to her original vision!
Then the recap episode.
The the announcement it would wrap that season.
I checked out before the slideshow ending.

Promised Neverland was a flawed manga and all, but jesus christ.

Agreeing with above poster that something went terribly wrong over at Cloverworks because of this and

2. Wonder Egg Priority- It started about amazingly! UNREAL animation, high concept, dark themes, dynamic characters! I work in animation and recommended it to my coworkers by episode 3. We all marveled at how the hell it was possible to make a show look this good.
Then it just... did things. Baffling things. Characters went nowhere, characters went backwards, characters went sideways. The plot stalled. poo poo would be introduced and destroyed like there was meant to be some emotional buildup in-between. The crux of the show, reviving someone important to you who committed suicide, was achieved and immediately dropped. Like, no one ever goes to meet said characters, never asks about said characters, said characters literally never appears in the show again.

Imagine Dragon Ball where the crew finally gathers all the balls and then are like, "Oh good, we got them! Too bad my best friend was a lying whore, but I'm okay with that!" And then it ends.

I remain flabbergasted.

3. Mushoku Tensei- Not only did they poach staff from one of my favorite shows, but all of its good points- lovely animation, an interesting magic system, a lived-in world, the potential to watch flawed characters grow- are all undermined by the author being a creep.

And like, I think I'm pretty comfortable dealing with uncomfortable sexual content. Outside of anime I read/watch a lot of horror, true crime and war history. There are some really ugly things that turn up in each of those topics, but it's exceedingly rare that I get the impression that the author isn't on my side in that yes, these horrible things are horrible. I don't feel like the author of MT is on my side. He makes my skin crawl. He makes me feel the way I did when adult men would hit on me or paw at me as a tween. I can recommend Perfect Blue to people and I can't recommend this. Oh god, I hate it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Das Boo posted:

3. Mushoku Tensei- Not only did they poach staff from one of my favorite shows, but all of its good points- lovely animation, an interesting magic system, a lived-in world, the potential to watch flawed characters grow- are all undermined by the author being a creep.

And like, I think I'm pretty comfortable dealing with uncomfortable sexual content. Outside of anime I read/watch a lot of horror, true crime and war history. There are some really ugly things that turn up in each of those topics, but it's exceedingly rare that I get the impression that the author isn't on my side in that yes, these horrible things are horrible. I don't feel like the author of MT is on my side. He makes my skin crawl. He makes me feel the way I did when adult men would hit on me or paw at me as a tween. I can recommend Perfect Blue to people and I can't recommend this. Oh god, I hate it.

I don't know how much you watched. But When he waits to save another group of adventurers to maximus their debt, only to wait too long that one of them dies and he has to grapple with his inaction killing someone. Is just so emotionally real that it changes how Rudy responds to things in the future. And that's not a single thing but similar stuff happens that blew me away. And after the author put so much work and thought into so many aspects of it. He would still stumble into this horrible character that grooms children. Because a 30 year old dude put into the body of a child. Biggest waste of so much work and talent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sazabi posted:

I don't know how much you watched. But When he waits to save another group of adventurers to maximus their debt, only to wait too long that one of them dies and he has to grapple with his inaction killing someone. Is just so emotionally real that it changes how Rudy responds to things in the future. And that's not a single thing but similar stuff happens that blew me away. And after the author put so much work and thought into so many aspects of it. He would still stumble into this horrible character that grooms children. Because a 30 year old dude put into the body of a child. Biggest waste of so much work and talent.

I'll spoiler all this since I'm referring to specifics. First spoiler set is to the anime, second is to the LN:

I made it to episode 15, so I did see that part. But I also saw mentally 40 year-old Rudy later patting himself on the back for not groping a 12 year-old's crotch this time and I just... couldn't do it anymore. The first time in the barn was gross, but it was the second/third time in the bedroom that I don't think I ever recovered from. He knew her father was pushing her into it, he still grabbed at her crotch after being slapped away, and after a brief moment of regret? He celebrated the prospect of doing it again in the near future. She stopped him from raping her because she was able to overcome him physically and that's it. Otherwise he just couldn't control himself and "no" only means "no" if you're overpowered, I guess.

Also the jokey aside about his father raping the maid
and, if the LN spoilers I read are correct, the author concludes that he was actually a good man despite his flaws. It's been already stated by Rudy in the anime explicitly, but that's also how his dad's character arc concludes. A rapist, and also a good man.
And then Rudy is rewarded with 3 wives all previously molested by him, two which were children at the time of said molestation(s).

PISSSSSSS. Sorry for ranting, I'm still mad.

On a positive note, I'd watch a whole series about Kishirika and her wonderful character animation!

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

3. Wegg - for all the obvious reasons already stated above
2. Prommy Netherlands 2 - for doing whatever the gently caress that was
1. Spider so what - this gets the number one spot for being a slow-motion plane crash that could have pulled up at any moment, and just didn't. I've seen bad animation before, but never something that failed to understand the nature of physical space like some of the fight scenes in the later parts of this show. Also the non-spider parts of the story sucked.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Elephant Parade posted:

- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean is lukewarm, but I probably would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't spoiled myself a few months ago via Wikia

:thunk: hmmm maybe??

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no it's still pretty mid because DavidPro is shooting themselves in the foot + the Netflix episode schedule meant they have been releasing things less finished than how they broadcast on TV (let alone what corrections might happen for discc release).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
*) How Not to Summon a Demon King Omega
I thought S1 was OK. Mostly because it was the inner dialogue of a dork who has to fake being a badass Ultimate Demon King pulling out OP bullshit every episode. The fanservice poo poo was really, truly terrible and I skipped a bunch of those scenes.
Omega comes in as a "why did they bother" series. The Demon King has like one episode where his OP bullshit fails and never again has to really struggle to improve. There's a rape dungeon with magic horny potions. And a Priestess or something? Totally forgettable since Anos Voldegoad showed up in that other Demon King series.

*) MHA Season 5
Yeeeeeesh. "Hey I know this overlong multipart tournament arc sucks and is wildly inconsistent with regards to moves that could actually kill people, but wait for the back half it's so good!"
The back half was not good.

Das Boo posted:

PISSSSSSS. Sorry for ranting, I'm still mad.
Jobless really had some awesome artwork.

There's something similarly weird in The World's Best Assassin is Reborn as a Noble, where some 40-50something dude is isekai'd and we pick up in their early teens. Dude is manipulative to the point that where they calculate how to emotionally condition people that are useful to them, to the point where they are like "oh Assassin Sama, let me sleep in bed with you tee hee". So a grown man is like "oh good, they equate my lies with absolute truth... all according to keikakuu".
I guess not having a schlubby avatar in your face makes it slightly less weird

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 6, 2022

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Regarde Aduck posted:

:thunk: hmmm maybe??
Yes. That's why I said as much in the post that you quoted and listed it as a runner-up instead of a Top X Worst Anime of the Year.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Going in the order of strongly-disliked to outright-hated:

Worst Anime (That I Watched Enough Of):

Shadows House: "Hey, what's wrong with Shadows House, Mals? I thought it was charming, spooky, and interesting..." That's what's so sad: for a good portion of the show, it is charming, spooky, and interesting. Plus you get a killer ED -- what's not to like? Well, usually when manga readers start screeching about mishandled adaptations, it's because the show didn't include some meaningless, irrelevant detail that doesn't advance the plot, doesn't enhance the characters, and only dilutes the core story. Brevity is the soul of wit, and too many authors seem to think WIT is a dump stat. So when the show didn't include a certain character, I just rolled my eyes and kept watching. But then... the wheels come off entirely. The last few episodes are entirely anime original, and when a filthy anime-only like me notices that then you've got problems. And those episodes SUCK! Characters act brazenly out-of-character, the layers of mystery and deceit get discarded in favor of a schoolyard-tier heist, and the villains become about as competent as the ones in Home Alone. Not the good Home Alone, either, I'm talking about direct-to-DVD Home Alone Five poo poo. It's even more egregious once you've actually read the manga (which I did shortly after). The manga sets up a well-thought-out hierarchy and competing factions within each hierarchy, and how the sinister goals of the higher-ups are decoded by those below them, who have to do everything they can to undermine said goals while still maintaining the North-Korean-style appearances of loyalty. There are gears and gears of deceit going around, and it's wonderful. And the anime discards all of that in favor of direct confrontation and "Nanny-said-no!" bullshit. Worst of all: those anime-original decisions include elements far ahead in the manga, so now those have been spoiled too. Entire ARCS have just been obliterated. I see that a season two was announced... I have no idea how they are going to unfuck this. Maybe they'll just pretend the last three or so episodes didn't happen? (It wouldn't be the first time an anime sequel did something like that...) Blech.

Shadows House TL;DR: Manga readers were loving RIGHT!

Magia Record S2: drat. drat drat drat. At Summer's start, this was one of the shows I was most hyped for. The production looked downright lavish, the plot was going in interesting directions, both the original Madoka cast and the Magia Record cast were set to collide in ways that can only be described as cool, and all the pieces were pointing to a much-needed infusion of anime-original content. Magia Record S2ep3 is worth watching on its own, that's how well it stands. But then (you guessed it!): production problems. Magia Record episode 6 is one of the worst-animated episodes I've ever watched. And it doesn't stop there. The story had a lot of ambition but now it's all been entirely derailed. Plot elements are introduced out of nowhere, problems come up just as quickly as they're resolved, characters teleport to where they're needed, and the final battle that was being set up just three episodes earlier now looks like it won't even happen? What the gently caress? Yea there's still four episodes to go but... I have no hopes. None. Even the game's D-tier plot would've been better. My working theory for the cause of this disaster is that Aniplex's hopes for Magia Record's profitability have been tempered, and they want to get out the next Madoka movie as fast as they can. Which means sacrificing Shaft's ability to work on this one.

Magia Record S2 TL;DR: This is an anime production that had its legs cut out from under it.

Mars Red: It had a loving great first episode. And then it proceeds to go absolutely nowhere the rest of its run. Events kind of just happen, they don't really matter. When you manage to make a magnitude eight earthquake ultimately meaningless, you've failed. Seriously though, watch the first episode, it's great and stands on its own.

Joran: Princess of Snow And Blood: It had a neat aesthetic, but given its title you'd expect the main character Joran to do some serious rear end-kicking. Hahahaha, no. She gets reduced to a helpless incompetent in goddamn episode three. The plot is transparent enough to see where it's going to go from the first episode, and as if to counteract said predictability the director throws in as much nonsensical plot-spaghetti as he can to try and obfuscate it. Which of course doesn't work, the plot is still rote and predictable, but now characters betray characters that they just betrayed other characters to help, only to do a 180 and help out again, only to betray them again, et cetera et cetera. Pure nonsense.

Joran TL;DR: Plot spaghetti.

Wonder Egg Priority:

Actual Worst Anime of 2021

Promised Neverland S2: My impression from manga readers was that the Promised Neverland struggled to recapture the highs of its first arc, but genuinely did have some great stuff mixed in with some eh stuff. Many were hoping that the anime would rectify those problems. Hoo boy. Imagine if instead the anime skipped over all the great stuff, doubled-down on the bad stuff, and compressed the remaining 100-something chapters into twelve episodes. The end result makes zero sense. To date, this is the only anime that I know of where the writing is credited to NO ONE. That's right, the last few episodes are SO BAD that literally no one wanted to have their name associated with this mess' concoction. I like how the final episode was a montage of seemingly-unrelated images, and each image is an entire chapter of the manga. I'm glad I skipped this.

EX-ARM: Olympian hubris meets Three-Stooges incompetence. You can actually see the """animators""" learning how to do their job in real time.

Redo of Healer: Yea I'm gonna need to throw a giant sexual-assault spoiler on this one.
How I imagine the storyboarding went:
Author: gently caress, rejected again. I know! I'll write a manga where the main character rapes all those stuck-up bitches!
Spineless Editor: Oh, you'll write a story about a villain? Unconventional, but it could maaaaybe wor--
A: Oh no, he's the hero. He's heroic.
S: Um, isn't rape bad? Are you sure readers will see him as a hero?
A: Hmm, ok ok. I'll have said bitches rape him first, and then he rapes them back. Eye for an eye, bitch!
S: So, like a gender-bent Kill-Bill, but instead of killing Bill he's... raping... Bill...
A: Oh yea, also the hero can time travel, so he can rape them forever!
S: U-umm, that raises an i-interesting quandary. If you go back in time to punish someone before they've done the crime, is it still morally right? I mean, I guess if you go back in time to kill Hitler you do it before he's massacred millions... Well, at least--
A: Ok ok ok. I know! I'll have them rape him again. There, moral integrity preserved.
S: But you.. just said the MC can travel through time. Why doesn't he just... you know... avoid being raped?
A: Plot reasons.
S: Plot reasons...
A: Now, I know what you're thinking, and let me address it right now: yes, there's not enough rape. Don't worry, I got that covered.
S: Everything makes sense now. I understand it all. Truly, I was only a figment of your imagination, all along... *fades away into nothingness*

When news this was getting an anime came out, a bunch of overly-excited anime-avatar social-media-denizens were hyping it up, about the giant shitstorm it would unleash on the twittersphere. How it'd trigger the libs. And then it came out and... no one really cared? It's like that kid in class who's trying to get a reaction from the teacher, so he does the stupidest poo poo imaginable. And he's done it so much and his motivations are so transparent that no one even acts shocked as he's dragged from class. You see, in order for there to be controversy, you need something that at least has elements of competence. If it's all poo poo and everyone was just expecting it to be poo poo, then there's nothing on the other side to attract the attention needed to be worthy of controversy.

But you know what? I'll bite. Redo of Healer is poo poo. The characters can't even be described as cardboard cut-outs, because those would have one-too-many dimensions in comparison. It's like watching a show where every character is a doll, complete with the author's visible hand winding the string back, and then they say their one line that they're capable of. Repeat for twelve episodes. Sometimes some new dolls get added, but they're clearly the same manufactured model just with a different wig. And they all have the same lines.

Truth be told, I don't even consider it anime. It's hentai. And not even functional hentai. At least hentai knows what it is and attempts to deliver and sometimes does. The only reason I'm even bringing this poo poo up is because Hi-Dive (yes, I'm one of the four people who has a subscription) has become so desperate to get any simul-streaming that they plastered ads for this poo poo across their website. I wonder how that went over for them. I didn't watch this show, but I watched enough to know what its shtick is. In my first four sentences, I have put more thought into the setting than the author bothered to.

Congratulations, Redo of Healer. You are the worst anime of 2021. I would -- and I'm being serious here -- I would rather watch all of EX-ARM than watch you. At least EX-ARM provided entertaining meltdowns and the out-of-context gifs had me in tears (of laughter).

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 7, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The 7th Guest posted:

#3: Sleeping Princess: This just comes down to subjective taste for me... the comedy felt far more one-note in this than in Nozaki-kun. Repeated gags, very similar story punchlines. Also feels more 'cute' than funny... I'm sure it's fine if you have certain expectations going in, but this one disappointed me. Banger of an OP though.

Sleepy Princess was from 2020. Also, booooooo, but I understand if the comedy didn't hit.

I didn't watch too much stuff this year that was straight garbage, but I felt like I dodged a lot of bullets. So, the "Most Avoided List" could be a dozen titles long. Anywho, I'm not going into any real detail.

Worst Anime
#3. Takt.Op Destiny: Boring as hell despite being pretty.
#2. Promised Neverland S2: I feel bad for manga fans after hearing how much it got butchered. Season 1 was so good, too.
#1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu/Gou: Promised Neverland was technically worse, but this gets the top spot for betraying me. This COULD have been good. It COULD have added to the Higurashi mythos. But instead, they decided to poo poo all over the original story arcs by decided to go DBZ for the final confrontation and making it look worse than DBZ. Dragged out the most obnoxious aspects of witch Satoko's shenanigans, and completely ignored the other characters to the point where they couldn't even be considered characters. They were plot devices. It was poo poo.

Most Avoided
- Wegg: Yikes!
- Ex-Arm: All the roasting surrounding the show was pretty entertaining at least.
- Uma Musume: The entire premise of this franchise creeps me out.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
1. Wonder Egg Priority for the same reasons Omnicrom said except I loved Eureka Seven.

this is the only bad anime i watched this year sorry.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

goblin week posted:

1. Wonder Egg Priority for the same reasons Omnicrom said except I loved Eureka Seven.

this is the only bad anime i watched this year sorry.

So did I! I was talking about literally every single piece of media that came after it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Actual Worst Anime of 2021

Redo of Healer: I think everything that needed to be said about the show was already said further up in the thread, but honestly the entire trainwreck about the show is fascinating to me, the same way the trainwreck around YIIK was. Mind you that doesn't mean either one of those pieces of media is worth checking out, god no. Healer is just incompetently made, terrible animation, complete inability to do fight scenes, mediocre music and so on are other issues that go alongside what Malsangoroth said.
No, the real problem I have with this anime is that unlike YIIK, which was two people trying to prove to the world that they weren't hacks, Redo's author created a piece of media specifically because he is a hack. He just knew the secret recipe: that the anime community has certain beliefs, and when those beliefs are upheld, you make money. It was a gamble, and unfortunately it paid off for him. The loving show was number 1 across multiple streaming sites for months during its run-time. It unseated Naruto, One Piece, Demon Slayer and others. Say what you will about those shows, but those shows are at worst competent. This wasn't.
I guess when you have a plan that cannot fail, even if it's executed by a talentless hack like Rui Tsukiyo, it'll still succeed. That's actually the final thing that gets me about this show, it was never meant to be enjoyed, it was always a Product™. It was marketed, sold and apparently made enough money to be worth the hassle before people found out it was actually dogshit.

World's Finest Assassin blah blah blah: Now this is more inline with the usual output that comes from Rui Tsukiyo. An admittedly excellent first episode and a fantastic OP are quickly forgotten in favor of bland, flavorless story about some 2kool4skool dumbass collecting girls who have zero personality. It would be entirely forgettable if Rui Tsukiyo didn't try to spice up the plot with some sexual slavery. The results are loving revolting and only serves to demonstrate how little loving talent he has. I really can't even say anymore than this.
I could talk about how the protagonist god modes the magic system right out of the gate, how the characters have zero personality, how some of the revolutionary ideas he makes are laughable (WOW GUYS, A FOLDABLE SPEAR! HOT poo poo!!!) but there are actual isekai out there that I really like that do this, so it feels like I'll be wasting breath. I guess all I can say is that those isekai have something going for it which makes people stick with the story, Assassin doesn't. Also if you asked me what the hell happened for episodes 4-10, I could not possibly tell you despite watching through them. I think he sold makeup to some people at some point?

Realist Hero Rebuilt The Kingdom: This one is personal because I confess I really like the original manga and I think the LNs are pretty alright. The anime however is just...ugh. I am kind of lost for words because I was certain this anime was gonna be a slam-dunk. The story is like 80% people talking to each other about their plans, so even without a budget you should have still had decent animation. Instead it was just weird camera angles to make the show seem glitzy, terrible models (seriously the animal-people are dire), and extremely stilted animation with multiple cut-corners. I peaced out after episode 3, the plot saves it from being a complete shitshow (though I recognize I'm in the minority when I say that), so it just sort of falls into the no-man's land of mediocrity. Not even the loving production logos look good, they look like they came from the loving VHS era.
Apparently this is getting a season 2 and just...why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Omnicrom posted:

So did I! I was talking about literally every single piece of media that came after it.

Oh good, yeah, I can agree on that :sweatdrop: