Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I think I've changed my tune on it now, after rewatching years later but I always thought Tony lives, just under the constant uneasy threat of never knowing where the hit is going to come from. It's similar to THE SHIELD in a way in that Tony essentially gets away, only to be stuck in such an existential torment that he can't even go to a diner with his family without seeing a threat everywhere he looks. And that's his life until the day he's done.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can't remember where it was posted, but some Sopranos fan went back and found a point where someone, maybe Tony himself, said something to the effect of "when you're taken out, you'll never see it coming. You could be doing anything, could be anywhere, and then bam... blackness".

Pretty much spells out that Tony's dead.

I've already mentioned my favored ending itt, but taking into account that last scene, I prefer DrVenkman's take on it. We get an inside glimpse into what being Tony is like after following him for so many years, and it's constant paranoia. I get the set up and rationale behind the "Tony is Killed and we see blackness" and there are a couple great YT videos that go into detail about the technical aspect (I think during some interview Chase even slipped and admitted that was the intention before James Gandolfini died and he changed his mind, saying Tony was alive), but I really like shows where things just stop for us, the viewer, and the characters keep going.

I read one theory that said that the viewer was hit and that we're the ones who see black, eh :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Professor Shark posted:

I've already mentioned my favored ending itt, but taking into account that last scene, I prefer DrVenkman's take on it. We get an inside glimpse into what being Tony is like after following him for so many years, and it's constant paranoia. I get the set up and rationale behind the "Tony is Killed and we see blackness" and there are a couple great YT videos that go into detail about the technical aspect (I think during some interview Chase even slipped and admitted that was the intention before James Gandolfini died and he changed his mind, saying Tony was alive), but I really like shows where things just stop for us, the viewer, and the characters keep going.

I read one theory that said that the viewer was hit and that we're the ones who see black, eh :shrug:

man the insane poo poo that the first true detective thread came up with was mind blowingly hilarious in that case.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The only thing I remember about that thread was that there were a few goons who would become super weirdly angry whenever people mused that there was a supernatural element and started writing embarrassing strawman posts about how other goons need to stop waiting for Cthulu to burst of the ocean. It didn't help that the creator complained about people seeing it as a Lovecraf influenced show before it was revealed he plagiarized a couple Lovecraftian authors lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I remember that whole season being a wonderful pit of garbage. No one was on the same page and everyone ended up disappointed.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah this is my take on what happened, which I feel like David Chase confirmed right after the finale but I don't want to go looking for it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah this is my take on what happened, which I feel like David Chase confirmed right after the finale but I don't want to go looking for it.

I read an article a few months that referenced a casual interview and he was talking about filming the last season. IIRC he was naming a few important key scenes rapidly and he referred to the last scene as The Death Scene or something like that and when the interviewer pointed it out he laughed it off

I'm okay not knowing, I didn't like much about that final season anyway

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I remember that whole season being a wonderful pit of garbage. No one was on the same page and everyone ended up disappointed.

That's the TVIV Inverse Thread law: a given show's level of quality is diametrically opposed to that of the corresponding SA thread, with very few exceptions.

In short,

Good show = bad thread
Bad show = good thread

The thread for True Detective S2 was pretty good, because of the collective eye rolling of Nicky Pizza's showrunning.

Do you like Breaking Bad? Let me tell you about Mike's voice...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

He should record audio versions of children's books.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've read a ton of articles about the last episode of Sopranos. David Chase left it "open" so they would have the option of doing a Sopranos movie, which is completely lame in my opinion. He obviously made that ending not expecting Gandolfini to kick the bucket in real life. That's why they made that movie with his son instead.

I thought the backtracking and claiming the ending was about how when you're in the mob, you can never rest easy because at any time someone can kill you or your loved ones, wasn't a bad idea for an ending. But they didn't make it that obvious and it just seemed like a cheap open ended ending.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:capitalism:

Yeah it makes a lot more sense that they intended to just cut the feed and then pick it up with Gandolfini in like 2015-2020 when everyone was getting broke, desperate, and the nostalgia iron seemed right to hit.

"Oh yeah we just stopped following Tony for now, and we'll pick it up in Sopranos: The Reunion"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
3rd Rock was just a fantastic show with a fantastic ending. It was mercifully brief too and made expert use of its sets and its cast of characters were on the ball all the time. The moment Dick confesses to Mary he's an alien and she doesn't believe him, then tells her to view their entire history and relationship with that information in mind and her face just expertly morphs from disbelief to tenderness to sheer terror to understanding is just chef kissyfingers fantastic

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Can't remember where it was posted, but some Sopranos fan went back and found a point where someone, maybe Tony himself, said something to the effect of "when you're taken out, you'll never see it coming. You could be doing anything, could be anywhere, and then bam... blackness".

Pretty much spells out that Tony's dead.

Yeah but Tony is really really wrong about that. It's complete horseshit. Think about all the people that get taken out. Like 9/10 saw it coming. They spoke with the person that killed them about killing them right before they got killed.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

remigious posted:

Dark was a bananas show that ended probably the best way it could. Sad, but it felt right.

Ooooo yes. I've watched the series a couple of times and it's so great. Definitely sad but it had to happen.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Get a Life. Chris Elliot ends his series with a clip show. But he really stuck the landing.

The last couple minutes really sums up the whole show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXHjRnpwMI&t=1230s

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Farscape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuXNiZa6J_8

Think I am the first to mention this one.
The series ended in a two part special, and to be honest wasn't that great, but the last 10 minutes are excellent imo.
loving love Scorpius, best ever villain ever created.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Star Wars Clone Wars: Oof that hit hard, but it really couldn't wind up any other way after all. Still, for all the bumps in the series along the way and how belated it came, that ending set of episodes were gorgeous.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I stopped watching the Expanse at the end of season 3, because it was pretty much a perfect ending and there was no way that season 4, 5, and now 6 could possibly match it.

So while not a real "ending", I made it one.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I stopped watching the Expanse at the end of season 3, because it was pretty much a perfect ending and there was no way that season 4, 5, and now 6 could possibly match it.

So while not a real "ending", I made it one.

Should keep going. The latest ending was great.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

It had a whole plotline that didn't go anywhere...

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I dunno, Ive seen exactly one screenshot of anything past s3 and main guy gets a really dumb look goatee.

But for real, the ending of season 3 was kinda perfect for me. Not too spoilery, but just in case; everything felt resolved to me. The main cast felt like they had finished their arcs in satisfying ways, and the mystery of the aliens is complete. And with the portals to however many other solar systems opened, it has room for the viewer to just imagine what might be out there - and I doubt there's anything that could be put on screen that's better than the mystery of what might be there.

Also the fact that it was starting to feel contrived that the main characters kept appearing everywhere and at every major event in the solar system, to continue that for three more seasons seems like it would get a bit silly.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It had a whole plotline that didn't go anywhere...

It left me wanting more, unlike a lot of shows by that point in their run that have left me wanting less. That being said, other than the obvious Laconian narrative, it wrapped up nearly everything else.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's been a long time since I've watched it, but I still have positive feelings about Daria.

Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses due in part to the show itself being a time capsule to the waning days of Gen X relevance, but just about every character ends up in a way that feels somewhat positive and hopeful for most the characters as they move on past the high school setting, not just in the show's actual narrative but in the in-credits 'future' scenes, as well.

(Then I just found a thing made by one creators of the show a few years ago of a 'where is Daria now?' and I'm really sort of bummed out by the difference in the fates of all the characters some 20 years later. However, that feels a bit like they wanted to do a new sequel series and find a way to distance themselves from as much of the non-Daria/Jane cast as possible.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Frisky dingo may have been brutally cancelled considering its one of the densest comedy shows I've seen for sheer number of jokes but it's ending is incredible and it might not have survived the hypothetical 3rd season idea

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Professor Shark posted:

The only thing I remember about that thread was that there were a few goons who would become super weirdly angry whenever people mused that there was a supernatural element and started writing embarrassing strawman posts about how other goons need to stop waiting for Cthulu to burst of the ocean. It didn't help that the creator complained about people seeing it as a Lovecraf influenced show before it was revealed he plagiarized a couple Lovecraftian authors lol

I don't think people can be blamed for thinking TRUE DETECTIVE was leaning that way since it deliberately invokes occult imagery. The scene where they find the girl in the first episode looks like a tableu from HANNIBAL or something. The King In Yellow is about a cursed play that drives people mad if they read it.

It also seems like the point of it, to me. The show courts that stuff before it pulls back the veil.

On that note, I thought the third season was great. It was the strongest thing that dude has written (though it suffers because he's also decided he's a Director and... he's not) with a touching central friendship. Even if in parts it rehashes the first season with the occult elements tossed out.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

I was a big fan of all the people who didn't understand the cinematic convention of pickpocketing where you have someone bump into someone else and say that's when it happened. There were multiple people trying to do frame by frame analysis of the fat black dude pickpocketing Jessie to prove it didn't happen, because if your actor doesn't learn slight of hand IRL they can't do it in a show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I was a big fan of all the people who didn't understand the cinematic convention of pickpocketing where you have someone bump into someone else and say that's when it happened. There were multiple people trying to do frame by frame analysis of the fat black dude pickpocketing Jessie to prove it didn't happen, because if your actor doesn't learn slight of hand IRL they can't do it in a show.

Which is why they fixed that whole mess in BCS, and you get a long, uncomfortable-in-universe stare and grin from Huell when he bumps into Chuck on the stairs.

But anyway, I agree with you.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That's the TVIV Inverse Thread law: a given show's level of quality is diametrically opposed to that of the corresponding SA thread, with very few exceptions.

In short,

Good show = bad thread
Bad show = good thread

drat I noticed that too, I remember lurking the thread for season 2 of the walking dead and, while the actual show was a miserable experience, some of the posts in there had me laughing my rear end off

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
Strangers With Candy. In the last episode the school is being turned into a strip mall mirroring the real world where the show was being replaced with a show called Strip Mall. In the end the characters decide to burn the school down. Beautiful.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

JediTalentAgent posted:

It's been a long time since I've watched it, but I still have positive feelings about Daria.

Maybe it's just rose-tinted glasses due in part to the show itself being a time capsule to the waning days of Gen X relevance, but just about every character ends up in a way that feels somewhat positive and hopeful for most the characters as they move on past the high school setting, not just in the show's actual narrative but in the in-credits 'future' scenes, as well.

(Then I just found a thing made by one creators of the show a few years ago of a 'where is Daria now?' and I'm really sort of bummed out by the difference in the fates of all the characters some 20 years later. However, that feels a bit like they wanted to do a new sequel series and find a way to distance themselves from as much of the non-Daria/Jane cast as possible.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodie_(TV_series)

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Llyr posted:

Strangers With Candy. In the last episode the school is being turned into a strip mall mirroring the real world where the show was being replaced with a show called Strip Mall. In the end the characters decide to burn the school down. Beautiful.

And Strip Mall was such a piece of poo poo. Goddamned Los Angeles Julie Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Clerks Cartoon, no contest.