Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

sticklefifer posted:

Ever-Rise sounds like a branded description on a baking product.

NEW! Pillsbury Bread Mix with Ever-Rise™ Dough!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsAcvtWLF9Y

Pro-click for peak WWE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I am not at all surprised that name was someone's fantasy high school band they never got to form so they projected it onto other people once they got a modicum of authority.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Best Friends
Trent Beretta & Chuck Taylor
All Elite Wrestling
ONE FIRST PLACE VOTE

Many combinations of the Best Friends subfaction made the list, but as is often the case the original just can't be topped, even if one half of them spent most of the year on the shelf. We had three wonderful days of Trent in April before he went back on the shelf, making his triumphant return in December, albeit sans hair, to even up the odds for his Best Friends against The Elite. With the blessing of Rocky Romero and the Skipper Kazuchika Okada, Trent and Chuck were welcomed back in to the fold of the CHAOS faction and brought along the rest of the Best Friends with them. Congratulations!

Jurassic Express
Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus
All Elite Wrestling
ONE FIRST PLACE VOTE

Under the mentorship of Christian, 2021 was a breakout year for the Jurassic Express as they worked their way up the AEW tag team rankings, getting their second shot at the AEW Tag Team Championships in August against the Young Bucks before making it to the finals of the tag team eliminator tournament just a week later where they came up short to the Lucha Brothers. Continuing the year with an impressive streak of wins, they ended 2021 as the number one contenders to the tag team championships again. (SPOILER FOR 2022: they won)

Dangerous Tekkers
Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi
New Japan Pro Wrestling
THREE FIRST PLACE VOTES
HIGHEST RANKING NJPW TEAM

The Tokyo Sports tag team of the year award winners could only manage 4th place in this, surely much more prestigious, poll. Dangerous Tekkers's 2021 started with the dubious distinction of being the first tag team champions to lose to the World Tag League winners at Wrestle Kingdom, and the first team to lose the Guerrillas of Destiny at Wrestle Kingdom. For the first half of the year, they continued to feud with GOD in a war which turned personal when Tama Tonga stole the iron fingers that contained the essence of Takashi Iizuka. After successfully reclaiming the fingers and sealing them away in Todoroki Gorge, Tekkers reclaimed their tag titles in June. However, the victory was short lived. The LIJ team of Tetsuya Naito and SANADA were able to steal away the titles in Taichi's home city of Sapporo. Friendship prevailed as Tekkers, with help from Taichi's new sumo forearm he learned from watching TV, won back the titles two weeks later in the Tokyo Dome. CHAOS interjected themselves into the feud with LIJ, with Bishamon challenging for a tag title shot in return for offering a shot at the NEVER 6 man titles they held with Tomohiro Ishii. Though Tekkers were unable to win the NEVER titles, even with Minoru Suzuki on their team, they successfully defended the title in the MetLife Dome against Bishamon and LIJ in a three way. Entering the World Tag League, Dangerous Tekkers were eliminated on the final night of block action by Bishamon, leaving them to sit on the sidelines and provide moral support for the team they beat them, hoping to avoid a Wrestle Kingdom match with House of Torture.

FTR
Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood
All Elite Wrestling
THREE FIRST PLACE VOTES

Starting the year fresh off losing their AEW World Tag championships to the Young Bucks, FTR found allies in MJF, Wardlow and Shawn Spears, forming The Pinnacle to aid MJF in his battles against Chris Jericho and the Inner Circle after stabbing them in the back. Alongside their companions, FTR battled The Inner Circle in Blood & Guts and the Stadium Stampede. As a duo they spent most of the year undefeated before losses to The Inner Circle's Santana and Ortiz in September and then Darby Allin & Sting just three weeks later. Bouncing back, FTR formed a business alliance with Andrade El Idolo, and under masks as "Las Super Ranas", they took the AAA Tag Team titles from the Lucha Brothers. Successfully defending their newly won titles against Aero Star and Samuray Del Sol two weeks later on Dynamite, they once again challenged The Lucha Brothers, this time for their AEW Tag Team Championships at Full Gear but fell short. At AAA's TripleMania Regia, FTR once again defeated the Lucha Brothers to hold onto the AAA titles, qualifying them for one final shot at the AEW Tag titles, which they lost.

The Young Bucks
Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson
All Elite Wrestling
EIGHTEEN FIRST PLACE VOTES

They may be seven time Wrestling Observer Tag Team of the Year award winners, they may be the PWI Tag Team of the Year, they may be one of the most decorated tag teams of all time, but in this poll where it counts, they could only manage second place, despite picking up the most first place votes of any team in the voting. The Young Bucks began the year as champions, defeating Santana and Ortiz and then Chris Jericho and MJF to come out on top against The Inner Circle. Teaming with Jon Moxley against Kenny Omega and the Goodbrothers, the Bucks, in a shocking twist that nobody saw coming, betrayed their partner to reform The Elite. Together with AEW World Champion, Kenny Omega and Impact Tag Champions, the Goodbrothers, there was no argument that they were the most powerful force in AEW. The Bucks put together an impressive list of title defences, including breaking up the popular SCU team of Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian. At All Out, The Elite's dominance began to crumble as the Bucks were defeated by the Lucha Brothers in perhaps the consensus pick for match of the year. Their ranks boosted by the addition of Adam Cole, the Bucks once again slipped up to Full Gear as they lost to Christian and the Jurassic Express. They could only stand by and watch as former comrade, Hangman Page defeated Kenny Omega to end The Elite's run at the top of All Elite Wrestling. With Kenny Omega missing, and Adam Cole recruiting reDRagon causing friction in the ranks, the very future of The Elite hangs in the balance.

Which of course means that your number one pick could only be, as a lot of you guessed right from the beginning...

House of Torture
Evil & Yujiro Takahashi
New Japan Pro Wrestling
FIFTY NINE FIRST PLACE VOTES

Formed in the tail end of 2021 after SHO turned his back on partner YOH, this Bullet Club subfaction has quickly found its way into the hearts and minds of fans around the world. The extremely popular foursome, lead by the team of EVIL & Yujiro, and also featuring universally beloved rapscallion Dick Togo, have revitalised interest in NJPW and delighted millions with their impish antics. Making it to the finals of the World Ta-

ahem

The Lucha Brothers
Penta El Zero Miedo / Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix / Fenix
All Elite Wrestling / AAA
THIRTEEN FIRST PLACE VOTES
HIGHEST RANKING AEW TEAM
HIGHEST RANKING AAA TEAM
HIGHEST RANKING MEN'S TEAM

Could it have been anyone else? Although they aren't as many of your favourite tag teams, they are still quite overwhelmingly the favourite tag team of Punch Sport Pagoda. Those of you who love The Young Bucks also love The Lucha Brothers, but the reverse isn't necessarily always the case... Starting the year as AAA tag team champions, Penta and Fenix didn't make much of an impact in the first half of the year with Fenix taking time off in April to nurse an injury. Returning to action in July, the pair put together an impressive ten match winning streak, including a brief sojourn in Mexico to defend the AAA titles in a three way at TripleMania, to qualify themselves for the AEW Tag Title eliminator tournament, which they won by defeating the Varsity Blonds and The Jurassic Express. After winning the titles in an epic cage match with The Young Bucks, the brothers continued to defend both of their tag championships, defeating the Butcher & The Blade and The Acclaimed in AEW and Laredo Kid & El Hijo del Vikingo in AAA. Their reign as double champions was brief, however, as they were defeated on Dynamite in an AAA Tag Title championship match against the mysterious Super Ranas, who unmasked to reveal themselves as FTR. A feud with FTR over both sets of belts proved to be a stalemate, as the situation remained unchanged with the Lucha Brothers holding AEW gold and FTR holding AAA gold at the end of the year.

So that's it! Thank you to everyone who voted, and thank you all for your patience in me taking longer than I expected to post the results! I had a lot of fun doing this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed next year. Even though the result feels like it went the obvious way, it was a lot closer than I expected for most of the voting with the Young Bucks even edging ahead until the last week or so.

I'll leave you all with a celebration of our winners, the coolest entrance of the year, the Lucha Brothers at Full Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFal73uWil4

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
great work george w bushi!! thank you! so much fun these are, thank you for your time and effort :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo I genuinely thought The Bucks were a lock to take #1, but this is a cool as gently caress result!

Thanks GWB, especially for the #1 fakeout :allears:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo I genuinely thought The Bucks were a lock to take #1, but this is a cool as gently caress result!

Thanks GWB, especially for the #1 fakeout :allears:

I'll probably pull out some interesting facts about the voting later but in general, anyone who put The Young Bucks as number one would probably have Lucha Brothers top three but that didn't hold true for the reverse. I think only two people who put the Bucks at number one didn't have the Lucha Brothers on their list at all.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'll probably pull out some interesting facts about the voting later but in general, anyone who put The Young Bucks as number one would probably have Lucha Brothers top three but that didn't hold true for the reverse. I think only two people who put the Bucks at number one didn't have the Lucha Brothers on their list at all.

ah yes, just like ishii and okada in... i want to say, 2019?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm the weird guy who had Young Bucks as #1, but didn't have Lucha Bros on my list at all.

Thanks for all the hard work GWB!

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Artelier posted:

ah yes, just like ishii and okada in... i want to say, 2019?

Yeah, Ishii and Moxley in 2019 and 2020 both had more #1 picks than Okada/Hangman respectively, but the latter two were present all over the rankings even when they weren't #1 and it kept them up on top.

Super cool that the Lucha Bros pulled off the same.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

mikey and everyone killed this poo poo and the match after was divine

well deserved

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

1. Lucha Bros

Might as well end the thread now, we all know they've won

Now that's what I call a scoop

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I mean, how can you not love Skeleton Ninja and his brother Murder Flubber the most

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Top tier choice of picture to show Tekkers' love

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
:miedo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

:hmmyes:

Thanks for putting this list together GEORGE W BUSHI!!