Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

In 2019, Jerusalem (from whom I have stolen the vast majority of this opening post, with his blessing) started an annual tradition of asking Punch Sport Pagoda to post their top ten favourite active singles wrestlers. Through all of these threads, one question has been asked again and again by many a poster -- "So, how do I rank the Young Bucks?"

This is your chance to rank those wrestlers, who individually may not warrant a place on your top ten favourite wrestler list, but together really do it for you. Maybe a few years ago, this wouldn't really have been worth doing but now with AEW leading the charge with a thriving tag team division, NJPW actually caring slightly about its tag team division, and the greater accessibility to all kinds of promotions around the world (and their tag team divisions) it might be worth giving it a shot.

So here is how it is going to work - think about all the tag teams currently working in major promotions, the indies, in America, Japan, Britain, Australia, Finland and anywhere else in the world. Write up who you are your current favorites, rank them from one to ten and then post them here in the thread. Feel free to go into as much or as little detail as you want as to why you've chosen who you've chosen, or to argue the case for any one (or more) particular tag team you want to.

I'll accept lists posted up till midnight JST on the 24th of February. Points will be assigned to each of the selected wrestlers and we'll see how each tag team ranks - who the forum's overall favorite is and how other wrestlers rank beside them. Points will work based on individual rankings, with 10 points for a 1st place rank and 1 point for a 10th place rank. So for example:

Poster A posted:

1. The Young Bucks
2. Dangerous Tekkers
3. Alpha Academy
4. Astronauts
5. Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston
6. Naomichi Marufuji & Keiji Mutoh
7. The IInspiration
8. Magical Sugar Rabbits
9. Kings of the Black Throne
10. Fukuoka Double Crazy

Poster B posted:

1. Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston
2. Best Friends
3. Dangerous Tekkers
4. Magical Sugar Rabbits
5. The Young Bucks
6. Daydream
7. Guerillas of Destiny
8. 2.0
9. Naomichi Marufuji & Keiji Mutoh
10. The IInspiration

Would result in:

Dangerous Tekkers = 17
Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston = 16
The Young Bucks = 16
Magical Sugar Rabbits = 10
Best Friends = 9
Alpha Academy = 8
Naomichi Marufuji & Keiji Mutoh = 7
Astronauts = 7
The IInspiration = 5
Daydream = 5
Guerillas of Destiny = 4
2.0 = 3
Kings of the Black Throne = 2
Fukuoka Double Crazy = 1

For the sake of my sanity I'll be keeping a running tally of points, so all votes as made are final - so no editing your post after the fact or posting 27 posts later, "Change my vote for Bad Luck Fale & Chase Owens to a vote for Pheromones!" - think VERY CAREFULLY before making your selection! Also, please consider:

• If an individual wrestler is in more than one tag team, it's perfectly fine to have them show up multiple times on your list. If you really love Dante Martin, and want to submit a list with 1. Top Flight, 2. Dante Martin & Lio Rush, 3. Dante Martin & Matt Sydal, then that's great!
  • After going back and fore whether to allow for the Freebird Rule and let people post trios who alternate which two members constitute the tag team, I decided it would be too messy to try and figure out what to do with 50 votes for Lucha Brothers and 10 votes for Death Triangle, so you can only vote for two person tag teams. It's perfectly fine to have, for example House of Torture (EVIL & Yujiro Takahashi) and House of Torture (EVIL & Dick Togo) as two separate entries on the list.
  • If you don't rank your list, I'll assume whoever is at the top is #1 and whoever is at the bottom is at #10.
  • You must choose a tag team who was ACTIVE in 2021. That means they have had at least one match as a tag team between January 1st and December 31st, 2021.
  • In the event that a wrestlers' points total equals that of another, they'll be listed in alphabetical order.
  • Do NOT denigrate the choices of anybody else, these lists are subjective and will provide a generalized consensus but not a definitive one.
  • You can note any honorable mentions as well, if you are really struggling to remove people from your top choices. They won't count for points, but if you truly feel deep within your heart that Toxic Attraction or Bear Country need some kind of recognition, they'll get it from your post.
  • If you can, please include the promotion(s) they (mostly) wrestle in. It's not necessary, but it can add some fun/interesting stats stuff later on.
  • Please include the names of the members of the tag team! I can figure out who you mean if you post "The Young Bucks", but for example, there are two different tag teams named "Best Friends" who wrestled in 2021.
  • You don't need to post a full top ten! This is true for the top singles wrestlers true, but it's worth pointing out here as coming up with ten of your favourite tag teams is a lot more difficult than coming up with ten individual wrestlers you love. You can submit any number of teams as you like and they'll be counted the same, so if you get to 7 teams and really can't bring yourself to care about whether The Varsity Blonds or Butcher and the Blade would come next then you can feel free to just stop there.

And now, to kick things off - my "Top Ten":

1. Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto) - SEAdLINNNG - SEAdLINNNG's tag division is probably my favourite thing going in wrestling today, and Las Ego are a large part of that. Their mean girl personas and hard hitting style make them one of the most compelling teams to watch. Asuka has been fantastic since day one, but since forming the team, Makoto has really come into her own, being the star of matches including some of the best wrestlers in joshi pro wrestling.

2. Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) - NJPW - The Tokyo Sports Tag Team of the Year for 2021 after being robbed in 2020. Tekkers have been a driving force in the NJPW tag division going from the punchline to a joke to something finally worth watching.

3. 2point0 (Matt Lee & Jeff Parker) - WWE/AEW - They may not be the most featured tag team in AEW, or top of the rankings, but together with their son, Daniel Garcia, they had matches with some of the top talent in AEW. However, where they really shine is in their promos, which were literally the only thing from WWE I saw in 2021.

4. E.R.E. (Toshiyuki Sakuda & Takayuki Ueki) - FREEDOMS - Leaving BJW in 2020 was probably the best move of Sakuda's career and the second best of Ueki's who previously switched from police officer to deathmatch wrestler. Sakuda is a tiny little murder goblin and Ueki is one of the most innovative and insane deathmatch wrestlers in FREEDOMS.

5. VENYU (Asuka & Yuki Kamifuku) - TJPW - Asuka's second appearance on this list is for a team that only actually teamed together once in 2021, even if they've been teaming together more in 2022. However, they made a huge impact in their one appearance in TJPW and had one of the best entrances of the whole year,

6. Lucha Brothers (Penta El Zero M & Fenix) - AEW - Penta and Fenix had one of the best matches of the year, and one of the best cage matches of all time, but that's not the reason I'm putting them on the list. I'm putting them here because they're just really, really cool. And I like Alex Abrahantes .

7. Fukuoka Double Crazy (Hazuki & Koguma) - Stardom - Hazuki coming back has to be in like, at least the top five comeback stories of 2021. Instead of going back to her old partners in Oedo Tai or Queen's Quest, Hazuki instead joined STARS where she was teamed with fellow returnee and Fukuoka native Koguma. It's a different dynamic from her team with Kagetsu, and not as cool but still really cool.

8. Las Fresas de Egoistas (Rico Kaiju & Ayame Sasamura) - SEAdLINNNG - The second appearance for Las Ego on my list. Rico and Ayame's primary role is as a pair of gremlins who help Asuka and Makoto win their matches, but as a duo they're a joy to watch. Seeing them try to bite off more than they can chew by squaring up to killers like Nanae Takahashi, Arisa Nakajima and Yumiko Hotta is always a good time.

9. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Mizuki & Yuka Sakazaki) - TJPW - One of the most fun teams to watch in the world, and one of the most innovative. I wish I could rank them higher but I'm sure other people will do that for me.

10. KumaDoi (Kuma Arashi & Koji Doi) - AJPW - Formerly of Enfants Terrible, and now of Total Eclipse, KumaDoi manage to combine being a serious big guy badass threat with an amazing sense of comedy. AJPW's tag division remains one of the highlights of a company that hasn't had the strongest last couple of years and KumaDoi have been an amazing addition to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Rankings

#115-#26
#25-#20
#19-#16
#15-#11
#10-#7
#6-#1

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 11, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

2021 Top Ten Lists:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Rarity
Conrad_Birdie
spamman
SG Bamboo
Jerusalem
forkboy84
Big Dave
saffi faildotter
karmicknight
Penguin Patrol
stab
sticklefifer
beggar
xbilkis
NienNunb
KungFuGrip
Cavauro
HellBlazer187
Saul Goode
Suplex Liberace
Insertnamehere31
BodyMassageMachine
The Pariah
TUS
STONE COLD 64
schweens
Acaila
Psycho Mantits
fez_machine
neoaxd
Sandman McMahon
Kevino07
pressedbunny
Senerio
Oasx
Purple Monkey
Barreft
Kvantum
Twin Cinema
Punch McLightning
Thauros
Oh Snapple!
Eevil
Cerebral Bore
Thanlis
Artelier
graph
Shaman Tank Spec
DogsInSpace!
Numero 6
JT Jag
Power Windows
Davros1
Fad
Pistol Packin Poet
Lamuella

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 27, 2022

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

drat, this'll be a tough one trying to think about which version of 37KAMIINA I want on my list

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

drat, this'll be a tough one trying to think about which version of 37KAMIINA I want on my list

If you can't then include all variations and submit a list of your top ten combinations of 37KAMIINA

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm not doing a full effortpost for this one, sorry

10. Best Friends

Only ranked so low cause Trent's spent so much of 2021 MIA. They're lowkey the top faces of AEW's tag division and when they eventually get their title win the building will explode

9. Jurassic Express

The perfect combination of future star building his profile and big man with a great hot tag. They work really well with Christian too.

8. Santana/Ortiz

Would also be higher if they hadn't spent most of 2021 playing backup for Chris Jericho. Really glad that this is now being directly addressed by the show and I fully expect them to hold the tag belts this year

7. The Acclaimed

Everybody loves the Acclaimed!

6. FTR

As I said during J-Ru's countdown, it felt like FTR stepped up a level over the course of 2021. With the arbitrary title reign and Bucks match out of the way they had space to settle down and had great feuds with Jurassic Express and PnP. They're absolutely top guys.

5. Dangerous Tekkers

My two favourite wrestlers in New Japan, would rate higher if I actually watched New Japan any more

4. The Young Bucks

If I was unbiased I'd say that the Young Bucks are the best tag team in the world today and probably ever but they are so good at being obnoxious pricks that ugh, I just can't

3. Neo Bishiiki-gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUufBnTEQzI

There is no heterosexual explanation for this

2. 121000000

One's my favourite wrestler in the world, the other is the coolest woman on this entire planet oh god she's so freaking cool. I'd love to vote them in at #1 but come on, it's not even close.

1. Lucha Bros

Might as well end the thread now, we all know they've won

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Rarity posted:

10. Best Friends

Please count this as an entry for Arisa and Tsukka, it's only fair

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
1. FTR (Cash Wheeler and Dax Hardwood)
My Asheville boys. They ascended to another level of perfect Southern throwback tag wrestling, and did it in multiple promotions. Dax is an underrated promo GOAT as well. I just love them.

2. The Lucha Bros (Penta and Rey Fenix)
Y’all see that cage match?

3. The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Parker)
See above

4. 2.0 (Jeff Parker and Matt Lee)
Unknown to me before this year, 2.0 came into AEW and won me over with their brand of coke-influenced promo work and their calling out of talent exclusively at the top of the card. Just a hoot to watch always.

5. Dante Martin and Matt Sydal
They go high up

6. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus)
Jungle Boy is a star and I remain convinced Luchasaurus is the best hot tag guy in the business. Comes in, does his four moves, the crowd loses their minds EVERY TIME

7. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and Trent?)
Gotta give it up for the Best Friends, one of the most beloved and most frequently injured AEW tag teams

8. The Acclaimed (Anthony Bowens and Max Caster)
Everybody loves The Acclaimed

9. Dark Order (John Silver and Alex Reynolds)
Meat Man’s gotta eat

10. Darby and Sting
In 2021 maybe the only other candidate for best hot tag other than Luchasaurus was the icon Sting.

HM: Bear Country, Butcher and the Blade

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 30, 2022

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
This is a great thread, I'm pretty sure I watch wrestling 95% of the time for tag team stuff. I feel like this list is definitely susceptible to the amount of exposure these teams have had recently as well as the fact that some of them are heavily linked to stables.

1. The Young Bucks - In almost every single AEW PPV, their match is the best match. Also they typically have at least 3 great BTE gimmicks a year.

2. Lucha Bros - Fenix is the coolest wrestler around and Penta is an incredible pantomime tank of a person.

3. FTR - They're like Ridley Scott. Bad script, bad movie, good script, good movie, great script, great movie. Give them a good team to bounce off of and they'll knock your socks off.

4. Proud and Powerful - In 2020 they would have been number 1. Hopefully they're on dynamite more.

5. Best Friends - Similar to the above, hopefully Trent and Chuck stay healthy.

6. 2point0 - Really funny people

7. The Dark Order (Evil Uno and Stu Grayson) - I feel like I haven't seen them much this year but the few times I have they've been great?

8. Private party - Would be higher if they weren't in the HFO which just hasn't stuck with me for some reason. Cassidy's squeals will always be a delight.

9. Men of the year - Again, I really haven't liked the ATT stuff but they always entertain me in a match.

10. Motor City Machine Guns - Apparently they've wrestled recently I dunno they're the reason I started watching wrestling at all. If Beer Money ever reunite I'll add them to a list too.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I did my top ten, as well as 10 honorable mentions. I also decided to impose some restrictions on myself since I crave variety. For me this means
- 1 entrant per stable in the top 10
- If a person is in multiple awesome tag teams, I will only pick one to get points

Honorable Mentions
- Total Eclipse (Hokuto Omori and Yusuke Kodama) - AJPW
- STRONGHEARTS (El Lindaman and T-Hawk) - GLEAT
- DisasterBox (HARASHIMA and Naomi Yoshimura) - DDT
- Strong BJ (Yuji Okabayashi and Daisuke Sekimoto) - BJW
- LOVE Idol (Miu Watanabe and Yuki Arai) - TJPW
- Suzuki-gun (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and El Desperado) - NJPW
- Momo no Seisun (Daisuke Harada and Hajime Ohara) - NOAH
- Citrus Wind (Arisa Nakajima and Nanae Takahashi) - SEAdLINNNG
- 37KAMIINA (Shunma Katsumata and MAO) - DDT
- Las Fresas de Egoistas (ASUKA and Makoto) - SEAdLINNNG

Top Ten
10. Total Eclipse (Kuma Arashi and Koji Doi) - AJPW
- Two goofy hosses, what's not to love

9. Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi) - NJPW
- Two lads who love and support each other

8. 121000000 (Miyu Yamashita and Maki Itoh) - TJPW
- They have such great chemistry, can hit hard and also bring the laughs

7. Bishamon (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI) - NJPW
- YH and his deadweight were a welcome addition to the always stagnant IWGP tag title picture

6. NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara and Yuma Aoyagi) - AJPW
- Kento rules, and Yuma is on his way to getting to that top level

5. Smile Pissari (HARASHIMA and Yuji Okabayashi) - DDT
- Not either guys primary tag team (which are up above in the HM) but this was such a great combination of power and speed and two guys who hit hard, glad the DDT/BJW crossover at the end of 2020 led to more of this pairing.

4. 37KAMIINA (Konosuke Takeshita and Shunma Katsumata) - DDT
- Take is the Ace for a reason, and he balances of Shunma's crazy style really well

3. Kongoh (Kenoh and Katsuhiko Nakajima) - NOAH
- Two friends kicks their opponents (and each other) as hard as they can

2. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama and Mei Saint-Michel) - TJPW
- Pure French elegance. I fell in love with these two immediately and they never disappointed, they're pure fun

1. Eruption (Yukio Sakaguchi and Kazusada Higuchi) - DDT
- Coolest team in the world. If you disagree then you're wrong and need to watch DDT and see these two badasses at work

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

[*]Please include the names of the members of the tag team! I can figure out who you mean if you post "The Young Bucks", but for example, there are two different tag teams named "Best Friends" who wrestled in 2021.

This exact example has already happened twice :lol:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I was gonna say that I didn't think Arisa and Tsukka actually teamed in 2021 but they did, once, in January against Yoshiko and Sareee.

2021 was a really long year...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes! So happy to see this thread made (and not being the one having to do all the counting!)

1. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - AEW - Yeah it's basic bitch stuff picking these guys as my favorite team, but... well.... they're my favorite team! They're also the best tag team in the world, and possibly in world history. For years they have been touted as the most exciting tag team in the world, and their critics kept saying they were flash in the pan, that they were just spot monkeys, that they wouldn't have long legs as a tag team. Except, the years kept coming, and so did the MOTYCs, and over the last year in particular the Bucks just continually blew me away as they got better and better and better from a baseline that was already among the best in the world. Their timing, their moves, their trash talk, their innovation, and yes absolutely and without a doubt their mastery of psychology, they're just all top notch. They're the best team in the world, and my favorite, and I do not apologize for going for the most obvious answer, because it's the right one!

2. The Lucha Bros (Rey Fénix & Penta El Zero M) - AEW - Probably the most exciting & energetic tag team on my list, nothing gets me quite as pumped up as getting to watch the insane skeleton man and his immortal brother come to the ring and do the craziest poo poo possible in the most exciting ways while still somehow managing to maintain an actual match structure so everything builds up to the perfect climax. Individually both Fénix and Penta are among the best wrestlers in the world today. Combined they are something even greater, a force that cannot be denied or stopped. Their Steel Cage match against the Young Bucks is one of the best tag matches since the days of Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada and Taue, and so long as Fénix doesn't get injuredrecovers quickly from injuries that would be fatal to anybody else, the only thing that could stop Lucha Bros being one of the best tag teams in the world is if Penta got scared.... and of course we all know that Penta has CERO MIEDO!

3. Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) - New Japan - Somehow, someway the dirtbag tag team in the dirtbag faction in New Japan are also the most wholesome, supportive, and genuinely loyal faction and tag team in all of New Japan too! ZSJ and Taichi's clear love and respect for each other shines through, despite both being the type who love to talk trash and be complete assholes, when it comes to each other they go out of their way to tell their friend how much they value and support each other. There's nothing cynical about, or played for laughs... they're just great, great friends who care for each other, respect each other, and value the other and don't mind letting each other (and the crowds) know. Plus, they're great as a tag team, with ZSJ the obvious technical wizard of the team and Taichi the stronger as well as seemingly the "leader" of the duo. They both share a decided sadistic streak too, which they are happy to revel in during their matches, and the success it has brought them cannot be denied. If only they had somewhat of more consistent opponents in their tag division so they didn't have to constantly fight the same teams (Guerrillas of Destiny aren't bad, but there's really only so many pairings of them and Tekkers you can take) or rough pairings of individual stars. They deserve more, and it's tantalizing to think of all the potential matchups that might come from New Japan doing joint shows with places like NOAH and DDT or, God willing, AEW. Imagine Dangerous Tekkers getting to wrestle some of those tag teams, oh God it would be the best.

4. FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood) - AEW - One of the absolute best tag teams in the world, it feels crazy to have them as low as four.... but, well it's a favorites list, not a best wrestlers list! The move from WWE to AEW was a no-brainer and has proven to be a godsend both to FTR, to the tag division they're in, and for the fans. They were something special in NXT as The Revival, but they have blossomed beyond belief in AEW, especially with obvious inspirational figure Tully Blanchard acting as their manager. Like Proud 'n' Powerful, they made up the solid backbone of their faction The Pinnacle, and their matches against Lucha Bros only got better and better with each new entry in the series. Winning the AAA Tag Titles gave them a chance to not only work in Mexico but to hold onto Tag Titles and defend them in matches in AEW as well, helping explain/justify why they aren't the champions themselves while keeping them over. They aren't the high fliers that the Bucks or the Lucha Bros are, but they are more than just a couple of good mechanics: they're an exceptional tag team with incredible in-ring chemistry with each other and of course with their opponents. They're the kind of team I want to see fight EVERYBODY!

5. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel) - TJPW - It would be easy to dismiss these two as a comedy goofball team, and it's true they do a shitload of comedy (Sakisama being lulled to sleep by Raku while a frantic MSM tried to wake her up for example) but they're also a genuinely talented tag team, and there's a reason why they held onto the titles for close to six months before finally losing it to the Magical Sugar Rabbits. MSM is the more frenetic of the two, getting lots of attention with her tray spots, her plaintive cries of,"SAKISAMA! :ohdear:" when things are going badly, and gleefully dishing out the damage when she is in control. But Sakisama's regal appearance and the fact she appears to be 9 feet tall also make her a standout, and her haughty arrogance as she pins her opponents or looks down (waaaaay down) on her opponents make her just as (delightfully) weird. Plus that theme music :kiss:

6. Proud 'n' Powerful (Santana & Ortiz) - AEW - Though they don't win nearly as much as they should, and don't get all the title shots they deserve, P'n'P's quality shines through and it is clear that they could easily slot into the title scene if just given the opportunity, instead of so often being sidelined by Inner Circle stuff or Chris Jericho's own feuds overtaking their own championship aspirations. Which isn't to say they haven't shined in those larger stable wars, because they absolutely have, and they've been the bedrock of the Inner Circle from the beginning. But.... I want to see them get tag title shots! I want to see them be the tag champions! Give me Proud 'n' Powerful..... Tag Team Champions! They deserve it! They've earned it! They should be getting so much more than they are!

7. 121000000 (Miyu Yamashita & Maki Itoh) - TJPW - A perfect pairing of close friends who know each other so well that they also know how to push each other's buttons, working in perfect concert during their matches and then having hilarious exchanges post-match, usually lead by Maki Itoh as the more outgoing of the two while Miyu is the more dangerous of the two in the ring.... unless of course Itoh is hitting her Kokeshi in which case you're a dead woman. Their in-ring work together, their combos and their smooth interactions demonstrate a finely honed, well-oiled machine as a tag team that then gets enhanced by their post-match discussions (and sometimes arguments), particularly since they're also both single wrestlers and for much of 2021 Itoh was still gunning for Miyu's Princess of Princess Championship.

8. 2point0 (Matt Lee & Jeff Parker) - TJPW - I love the bizarrely old school feeling these guys - particularly Matt Lee - give in their backstage promos. Looking for all the world like they fell out of a portal from the 1980s and are expecting Mean Gene to be holding the mic for them, Parker and Lee talk amazing trash, scream straight down the camera as if their opponents were just on the other side, and are constantly causing problems and troubles backstage and in their matches as they constantly ambush, assault or harass various wrestlers... then actually react with outrage when people talk or fight back, bellowing,"YOU WANT A TASTE!?!" at them as if THEY were the instigators of all this trouble. They're absolutely hilarious, plus they're a really good tag team even if they do frequently cheat or use their "son" (who they support so proudly!) Daniel Garcia to do it for them.

9. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus) - AEW - The perfect pairing of a young, fast-paced star and a giant dude in a dinosaur mask who has one of the best hot tags in the business. With Christian Cage taking on a mentoring role for Jungle Boy in 2021, Jungle Boy's increased growth as an overall performer, and Luchasaurus apparently being mostly past the injury slowdowns that had plagued him in the past, their team rose to new heights through 2021 and of course they'd go on to even greater things in 2022. In 2021 though, I always knew watching their matches that Jungle Boy was gonna sell his rear end off but also get in some great looking offense, before hitting that sweet hot tag and letting Luchasaurus run through his opponents. They're a great team, and always a treat to watch.

10. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent?) - AEW - Though they didn't tag together as much as I'd have liked due to Trent?'s broken titty, these two and their ridiculous humor and increasing cast of bizarre allies, friends, side-characters, Young Boys and a genuine star in Orange Cassidy mean it would feel wrong leaving them off the list. They're the glue that holds Best Friends together, the duo from which all else sprang, and whenever they do tag with each other it's always a tremendously fun time and an exciting match, or at the very least just a very weird one.

Man this was way harder than I thought! Especially since I had 11 on the list somehow and two #6s! Sorry Magical Sugar Rabbits, you're bumped!

For ease of use:

1. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - AEW
2. The Lucha Bros (Rey Fénix & Penta El Zero M) - AEW
3. Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) - New Japan
4. FTR (Cash Wheeler & Dax Harwood) - AEW
5. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel) - TJPW
6. Proud 'n' Powerful (Santana & Ortiz) - AEW
7. 121000000 (Miyu Yamashita & Maki Itoh) - TJPW
8. 2point0 (Matt Lee & Jeff Parker) - TJPW
9. Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus - AEW
10. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent?) - AEW

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 31, 2022

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem, in your detailed list you have two number 6s (PNP and 121000000) and then you don't have PNP at all on the short list! Just a heads up in case you want them to get the points

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I refuse to vote for that loving rabbit out of sheer principle :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Jerusalem, in your detailed list you have two number 6s (PNP and 121000000) and then you don't have PNP at all on the short list! Just a heads up in case you want them to get the points

Bizarre, don't know how I did that but I've fixed it now and dumped Magical Sugar Rabbits off the list. Take that, Rude Djinn and Rabbit!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Bizarre, don't know how I did that but I've fixed it now and dumped Magical Sugar Rabbits off the list. Take that, Rude Djinn and Rabbit!

Justice has been done

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

spamman posted:

10. Motor City Machine Guns - Apparently they've wrestled recently I dunno they're the reason I started watching wrestling at all. If Beer Money ever reunite I'll add them to a list too.

Sorry, but apparently their last tag match together was in 2020 so they wouldn't count for this year's poll unless Cagematch is missing something (which has happened!). Is there another team you'd like to give that last point to?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

10. ERE (Takayuki Ueki & Toshiyuki Sakuda) (Pro Wrestling Freedoms)
Can only second what GWB said on these guys, escaping the blackhole of new talent being pushed that is Big Japan has been such a loving great deal for these guys. The match against Fujita & Yamashita where they won the King of FREEDOM Tag Titles was at ****¼ for me, the match with Kasai & Sasaki at Tokyo Death Match Carnival Vol.1 was even better at ****½, with the match where they drop the belts at Blood X-Mas being another ****¼. They lowest I went on one of their defences was the one at the 12th Anniversary which was still ***½. If you like death matches, you should treasure these 2 absolute loving sickos. Very happy Ueki decided to quit the police to do a job that adds something to humanity, playing around with glass & breezeblocks.

09. Eruption (Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi) (DDT)
With an honourable mention to Saki Akai, Eruption were a huge part of me getting into DDT as a regular watcher during the pandemic. Very few promotions were running & those that did were infrequent, but DDT had weekly "TV style" shows & it rapidly became must-watch wrestling for me. Eruption (plus Yoshihiko's feud with All Out) were huge parts of that: the first 3 episodes have big singles matches for both Higuchi & Sakaguchi but it's after that we see them as a unit & for the rest of 2020 they are linked to the Tag & Trios titles in DDT. Everything about them is extremely cool. Their entrance? Cool. Their wrestling? Cool. Matches with people like DAMNHEARTS & Nautilus? Very cool. 2021 was not as great as 2020 but they are still exceedingly cool, & now they have their own young boy too.

08. Runaway SUPLEX (Shotaro Ashino & Suwama) (All Japan Pro Wrestling)
Suwama was for years part of Violent Giants, THE modern day AJPW tag team. But on 2nd January 2021 they lost the Tag Titles to Kento & Yuma & that also meant Violent Giants was no more. Suwama went on as Triple Crown champ until June before getting hurt & having to vacate that. When he came back he started teaming with a man he'd had a rivalry over the Triple Crown with, Ashino, the former Wrestle-1 champion. And they do cool suplexes.

07. Dangerous Tekkers (Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr) (New Japan Pro Wrestling)
They'd probably higher if there was any one for them to face but NJPW tag wrestling is a desert & Tekkers are the lone oasis.

06. Stronghearts (El Lindaman & T-Hawk) (GLEAT)
They've been one of the best junior tag teams in the world for yonks, they wrestle anywhere from AEW to PPP Tokyo, & they steal the show where ever they go. El Lindaman is short at 5'3 but god he's so charismatic & a fantastic mic worker, but he has amazing chemistry with T-Hawk, which you'd expect as they go back together to Millennials in Dragongate. Last year they stood out in AJPW where they were All Asia tag champions & GLEAT, but if you never saw Lindaman vs ASUKA from ZERO1 in February you should go look that up because it's cool.

05. NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi) (All Japan Pro Wrestling)
All Japan Pro Wrestling is a great place to go if you love some tag team wrestling. This whole stable is about sticking All Japan's one true star Kento with some exciting young talent, in the Aoyagi brothers & Rising HAYATO & for me it's worked. Yuma Aoyagi has been made legit here, he's loving great & the nearly 250 day Tag title reign was very good. You should watch AJPW tbh. It's not a perfect promotion but they have some fantastic wrestlers on the roster. Also Yoshitatsu getting kicked out of his own stable by Baliyan Akki, Takayuki Ueki & Seigo Tachibana which is very funny.

04. Azure Revolution (Maya Yukihi & Risa Sera) (Ice Ribbon)
Absolute stars of Ice Ribbon & now...now they are gone. It's a huge blow for the promotion, Sera & Yukihi could always be relied upon to steal the show. Sera & Yukihi are both possibly gone as Ice Ribbon regulars at least, Sera leading Prominence & Yukihi over there in DDT kicking Saki Akai's butt. Pour one out.

03. Masquerade (Jason Lee & Kota Minoura) (Dragongate)
Another team that may not be anymore in 2022 & that is sad. Jason & Kota really had their coming out party last year in singles, trios & tag actions. Absolutely amazing team.

02. Las Fresa de Egoistas (ASUKA & Makoto) (SEAdLINNNG)
My #1 women's tag team. Just absolute swagger & to copy from GWB again, "mean girls" but also just utterly compelling wrestling. The poo poo they did forcing Yumiko Hotta to join Fresa was hilarious, the match from 26/5 with Citrus Wind is an absolute must watch, absolutely fantastic wrestling.

01. Astronauts (Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura) (Big Japan Wrestling)
When Astronauts aren't wrestling everyone else on the card should be asking "where are Astronauts?" Two great tastes that taste great together. Each is a phenomenal singles wrestler & fortunately just as good when you throw them together. They had a short BJW Tag title run in 2021 but we got absolute loving bangers against Irie & Okabayashi and Okami. I haven't seen any of their IRON FIST title run because BASARA is close to impossible follow without giving money to Nico Nico & that's akin to pulling teeth, but yeah, they held them too. I'mma quote a Cagematch user: "if you like everything who is stiff, then Astronauts are made for you." I do, & they are. They may be for you too.

The honourable mentions.

Best Friends (Nakajima & Fujimoto). Citrus Wind (Nakajima & Takahashi). Strong BJ (Sekimoto & Okabayashi). Total Eclipse (Kodama & Omori AND Doi & Arashi). DoiYoshi Mk II (Naruki Doi & Takashi Yoshida). Briscoes (Jay & Mark). VLNCE UNLTD (Homicide & Dickinson). The Aggression (Nakajima & Kitamiya). Kongo (Haoh & Nioh). Magical Sugar Rabbits (Mizuki & Sakazaki). Mashimo & Hanami (from 2AW). ALK (Syuri & Giulia). Natural Vibes (Shimizu & Yokosuka). Okami (Hashimoto & Kamitani). UNCHAIN (Fujita & Yamashita). I'll stop now because I have to go out before the wind picks up but needless to say I could go on.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 30, 2022

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

1. Kristian Ross and Chris Bradley - H2O
2. Kings of the District (Jordan Blade and Eel O'Neal) - Independent
3. Rejects (John Wayne Murdoch and Reed Bentley) - Independent
4. Santana and Ortiz - AEW
5. Bear Country (Bear Boulder and Bear Bronson) (He'll always be bear beefcake to me) - AEW
6. Lucha Bros (Fenix and Pentagon Jr) - AEW
7. YoKai (Yoya and Janai Kai) - Independent
8. The REP (Nate Carter and Dave McCall) - Independent
9. Waves and Curls (Jaylen Brandyn and Traevon Jordan) - Independent
10. Young Studs (Eric Ryan and The Bev Bobby Beverly) - H2O

Big Dave fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 30, 2022

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

1. 121000000 (Maki Itoh & Miyu Yamashita)
2. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel)
3. Lucha Bros (Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix)
4. Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent?)
5. Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)
6. Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi)
7. Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston
8. Proud & Powerful (Santana & Ortiz)
9. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Mizuki & Yuka Sakazaki)
10. 2point0 (Matt Lee & Jeff Parker)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
1. 121000000 (Maki Itoh and Miyu Yamashita)
2. Best Bros (Baliyan Akki and Mei Suruga)
3. Magical Sugar Rabbits (Yuka Sakazaki and Mizuki)
4. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel)
5. Best Friends The Gentleman's Club (Chuck Taylor and Orange Cassidy)
6. VENYU (Kamiyu and Asuka)
7. The Acclaimed (Max Caster and Anthony Bowens)
8. Calamari Drunken Kings (Chris Brookes & Masahiro Takanashi)
9. FTR (Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler)
10. 2point0 (Matt Lee and Jeff Parker)

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 31, 2022

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
10. Chaos Project (Luther & Serpentico) - Two of the best comedy jobbers you could ask for
9. Best Friends (Jon Moxley & Eddie Kingston) - I'm not crying you're crying
8. 121000000 (Miyu Yamashita & Maki Itoh) - Cool
7. Dangerous Tekkers (ZSJ & Taichi) - I love these dang dorks
6. 2point0 (Jeff Parker & Matt Lee) - I'll never forget the way they sold for Sting
5. BestBros (Mei Suruga & Baliyan Akki) - Slowed down by Mei's US trip, but still excellent
4. Lucha Bros (Penta El Zero Miedo & Rey Fenix) - Skelly and Gumby
3. NEO Biishiki-gun (Sakisama & Mei Saint-Michel) - Those loving french :argh:
2. FTR (Dax Harwood & Cash Wheeler) - The perfect tag team
1. Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - Effortlessly entertaining, and then they put in max effort last year.

In 2022, I expect to see Kings of the Black Throne make the list, and I have a feeling Dangerous Tekkers will be more singles-focused. I'd love to see some sort of FTR vs 2point0 feud as well as BestBros vs NEO Biishiki-gun.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
1. My boys

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
This is especially hard because most of my favorite tag teams right now are part of larger stables and/or trios teams.

1) Lucha Bros: Penta & Fenix (AEW) - Ninja Skeleton and his brother Invincible Gumby. What's not to love?
2) BULK Orchestra: Ryuichi Kawakami & Hayato Tamura (GLEAT) - These guys are so much fun, and have the best name. I love that they've expanded too.
3) Young Bucks: Matt & Nick Jackson (AEW) - The GOATs. The Cole/RD thing has made them a lot more interesting lately.
4) R.E.D: SB KENTo & HYO (DG) - It's insane how good both of them are for how young they are.
5) Dangerous Tekkers: Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr. (NJPW) - I don't know what else could be said that hasn't already. They rule.
6) Masquerade: Kota Minoura & Jason Lee (DG) - Only reason they're not higher is that they were more of a trios with La Estrella in 2021, but their ring chemistry is unbelievable.
7) StrongHearts: T-Hawk & El Lindaman (GLEAT) - I still can't get over the complete transformation of Lindaman, and T-Hawk is as solid as ever.
8) 2point0: Matt Lee & Jeff Parker (AEW) - I almost left them off my list because Garcia is a package deal for my enjoyment, but he's there in spirit.
9) Dragon Dia & Yuki Yoshioka (DG) - A very new pairing, but one I'm very interested in, and their formation spawned from arguably the best wrestling angle of the past year.
10) Proud n' Powerful (AEW) - I'm hoping this is their year, because they've deserved a title run for a long time.

HMs:
FTR - They're great, but I'd put them more on a Best Wrestlers list than my Favorites.
TayJay- Really fun team, but I wish AEW had an actual Women's Tag division so they could cut loose.
IInspiration - Love their character work to bits, but their ring work is still not the best.
TH2 - Still a big fan, but AEW never does anything with them and it makes me sad.
Bullet Club's Cutest - ELP & Ishimori are great together and their shithead heel work is fun as hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress I totally shoulda voted for TayJay

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
1) Lucha Bros - Penta & Fenix

2) JB & Luchasaurus

3) FTR - Dax & Cash

4) Sting & Darby Allin

5) Shaq & Jade Cargill

6) Evil Uno & Stu Grayson

7) SGC - Mance Warner & Matthew Justice

8) Bussy - Effy & Allie Katch

9) Mark & Jay Briscoe

10) Men of the Year - Sky & Page

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
1. Lucha Bros. Mexi-kings. (Rey Fenix + Penta El Zero Miedo, AEW)
2. Best Friends. Didn’t wrestle that much in 2021, don’t care, Dustin and Greg rule. (Chuck Taylor + Trent? Baretta, AEWW)
3. John Silver and Alex Reynolds aka “Dark Order” aka “The Beaver Boys.” Funny dudes who do cool tag team moves, and also one of them is a little muscle freak who does power moves…that’s extremely my poo poo. (AEW)
4. Young Bucks. Hate em as faces, but luckily they were only that for a couple of weeks in 2021. I don’t really think of them as “one of my favorites” instinctually, but their matches are consistently great and Dynamite notably suffered from them not being on hand to regularly put together a hot opening match. (Matt + Nick Jackson, AEW)
5. Dante Martin and Lio Rush aka “Highest Flight.” Only one match together but it was beautiful…what could have been… (AEW)
6. Darby Allin and Sting. Insane reckless dude spots + fun old legend spots is a money combo. Also I got to see Sting dive off a giant thing of poker chips (AEW)
7. Kris Statlander and Orange Cassidy. Two beautiful weirdos who managed to overcome the hurdles of working under weird mixed tag rules. (AEW)
8. 2point0. Great promos, good angles, can’t say I can remember a moment of their in-ring action but it doesn’t really matter. (Matt Lee and Jeff Parker, AEW)
9. Santana and Ortiz aka “Proud n Powerful.” Sick tag moves, cool dudes, good on the mic, need to be freed from Chris Jericho. (AEW)
10. Dangerous Tekkers. Manage to shine despite being a tag team in 2021 NJPW, which is a rough place to be. (Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi, NJPW)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

1. reDRagon
2. Young Bucks
3. FTR
4. Briscoe Brothers
5. Darby Allin and Sting
6. The Acclaimed
7. Best Friends (Chuck and Trent)
8. Dangerous Tekkers
9. Kings Of The Black Throne
10. Shaq & Jade Cargill

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

stab posted:

1. My boys

I felt bad not at least giving Matt Lee a nod in the single wrestlers thread so I was so glad this thread came along, because 2point0 are an easy top ten pick. :hellyeah:

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Sorry, but apparently their last tag match together was in 2020 so they wouldn't count for this year's poll unless Cagematch is missing something (which has happened!). Is there another team you'd like to give that last point to?

Oh let's go with Silver and Reynolds then.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
1 madcap moss & happy Corbin
2 red velvet & cody
3 rik Boogz & king nakamura
4 danshoku dieno & yuki iino
5 dick Togo & gedo
6 apollo crews & commander azeez
7 adam scherr & ec3
8 kyle o'Reilly & von wagner
9 ninja mack & dante leon
10 2 fast 2 fuego

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What a way to choose violence

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

1. Shaq & Jade Cargill
2. Kings Of The Black Throne
3. Dangerous Tekkers
4. Best Friends (Chuck and Trent)
5. The Acclaimed
6. Darby Allin and Sting
7. Top Flight
8. FTR
9. Young Bucks
10. reDRagon

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 31, 2022

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Anything that gets Shaq higher in the rankings

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

KungFu Grip posted:

5 dick Togo & gedo

I can dig this, I enjoyed them way more than I thought I would during last years Super Jr Tag League when Dick was in 'old school heel' mode rather than 'interfere every 15 seconds' mode

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i was including their booking style as well

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

1. Young Bucks
2. Lucha Brothers
3. Dangerous Tekkers
4. Moxley and Kingston
5. Santana and Ortiz
6. Jurassic Express
7. Silver and Reynolds
8. Rosemary and Havok
9. 2point0
10. Best Friends (Trent and Chuckie T)

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This one is pretty hard, it would be easy enough for me to list ten good tag teams, but ten i care enough about to call my favourites is another thing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Some quick stats after one day of voting:
  • So far there have been 19 lists with 71 different tag teams.
  • Of those 25 are from AEW (not including Kings of the Black Throne who were only active in PWG in 2021)
  • AEW also make up the majority of the current top ten, with 7 tag teams, followed by TJPW with 2 and NJPW with 1
  • Dante Martin currently features in the most individual tag teams with 3
  • The CHAOS faction feature in the most teams on the list with 4 (with three of those coming from the Best Friends sub-faction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
1. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)
2. Lucha Brothers (Fenix & Penta)
3. Dark Order OG's (Evil Uno & Stu Grayson)
4. Death Triangle (PAC & Penta)
5. Best Friends (Chuck & Trent)
6. Dark Order Beaver Division (John Silver & Alex Reynolds)
7. FTR (Cash & Dax)
8. Proud 'n Powerful (Santana & Ortiz)
9. The Butcher, The Butcher, The Butcher and The Blade! (The Butcher & The Blade)
10. The Hybrid2 (Jack Evans & Angelico)

So many great tag teams in one promotion! If only a few more of them could get some screentime...