Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

And posting that on a forum that is most definitely an echo chamber is even weirder.

I don't think there is any better proof of my argument than the fact that D&D hate reads C-SPAM and C-SPAM hate reads D&D. Everyone loves being outraged about other people's bad opinions. We love talking about it, we love thinking about it, we love rebutting and debunking them. We love it! It's bad for us but we all love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

The algorithms these companies use are designed to keep you on the site as much as possible. They like the things you click like on (you're willing to spend more time on the feed if it's full of The reason people are falling into these weird alternative views of reality and cultlike groups is because we are all miserable, and we are all alienated from any sort of political power we might have had. You're seeing the shared culture cracking as people increasingly become unable to ignore the contradiction of what they've been told their whole lives in terms of their freedoms, their rights, the democratic nature of the society we live in, a person's ability to lift themselves up by their bootstraps, etc., etc., and the material reality of the world that they see around them, which they are powerless to change.

What is also funny about these effects and those who think our "democracy" is in decline because of Facebook is how powerless at actually changing politics they are. A half year of grassroots, direct action, social media driven BLM protest ended with the Democratic party rallying around police forces and agreeing to fund them more. Alleged Russian interference and Qanon crazines generated Trump, who governed as basically a standard Republican with slightly ruder rhetoric.

Facebook is not going to destroy our democracy, it is going to maintain the oligarchy we've always had. That's bad, but not for the reason people think.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
There's a reason why nations achieving quality of life improvements or are currently in their "golden era" are rarely associated with a population peddling crazy conspiracy theories, but declining nations or places in turmoil are renowned for them.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

What is also funny about these effects and those who think our "democracy" is in decline because of Facebook is how powerless at actually changing politics they are. A half year of grassroots, direct action, social media driven BLM protest ended with the Democratic party rallying around police forces and agreeing to fund them more. Alleged Russian interference and Qanon crazines generated Trump, who governed as basically a standard Republican with slightly ruder rhetoric.

Facebook is not going to destroy our democracy, it is going to maintain the oligarchy we've always had. That's bad, but not for the reason people think.

what is precisely the difference, considering that oligarchy is terminally dog brained and running the system into a brick wall because they don't understand how it works?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So what might be an appropriate time period to say when the US began to decline as a world power, if we consider that the decline has already been going on for a while?

Already in the 70s there were people making predictions that Japan would supersede the US and neoliberalism was taking hold with Jimmy Carter. I think it's fair to say the rise of neoliberalism was the first sign of decay.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 15, 2022

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Vietnam's the quick and easy one, as us learning the limitations of our power, but if you'd prefer something more recent the failure of the Iraq war also makes a good marker

the whole point of the Project for a New American Century was to revitalize America after the vague imperial aimlessness of the 90s, and their effort to prove we were still able to do whatever we wanted on the world stage ended in a calamity so abject and humiliating their party got taken over by a game show host

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

quarantinethepast posted:

So what might be an appropriate time period to say when the US began to decline as a world power, if we consider that the decline has already been going on for a while?

Already in the 70s there were people making predictions that Japan would supersede the US and neoliberalism was taking hold with Jimmy Carter. I think it's fair to say the rise of neoliberalism was the first sign of decay.

Unless the U.S. breaks apart it's not going to lose world power status.

The population is just far too large and there is no other nation in the Western hemisphere that has potential to compete with it.

Going by the absolute best realistic methods out there outside of China, no other nation in the world is going to outclass US's monster GDP in such a way in the coming decades.

If you meant the U.S. losing it's "hyperpower" status, well that was simply a matter of time. The U.S. can't simply snap it's fingers and add a billion people to it's population. It was only a matter of time before China or India surpass it. China technically already has in some aspects, while India is quickly rising (though they have some issues of their own).

The answer to that question would probably be the mid-2000s when China's massive GDP growth clearly wasn't a fluke and their "state capitalism" was something tactile, real, and a threat to the neoliberal order.

An absolute deathblow would be a major developing country copying China's economic system for the world to emulate, like say if EFF won and ran South Africa.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Adding to the US population is one thing I'm actually a bit optimistic about. We've historically been quite good about immigration. It's very hard for me to imagine China opening its doors to non-Han immigrants, as we progress through the century and as their demographic time-bomb explodes and the necessity of immigration becomes undeniable.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

punk rebel ecks posted:

An absolute deathblow would be a major developing country copying China's economic system for the world to emulate, like say if EFF won and ran South Africa.

I think this is already happening with Ethiopia.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think this is already happening with Ethiopia.

The page is paywalled but looking at Wikipedia pretty much the entire House is centrist or conservative parties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Peoples%27_Representatives.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

The page is paywalled but looking at Wikipedia pretty much the entire House is centrist or conservative parties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Peoples%27_Representatives.

Yeah so capitalist, nationalist, and authoritarian with a focus on rapid state-led development that's China, Singapore and Ethiopia.

E: I recommend getting a FT subscription, Amber A'Lee Frost from Chapo explains why better.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 20, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yeah so capitalist, nationalist, and authoritarian with a focus on rapid state-led development that's China, Singapore and Ethiopia.

E: I recommend getting a FT subscription, Amber A'Lee Frost from Chapo explains why better.

China's state capitalism seems much more involved as economic output is split nearly 50/50 (and growing in favor of the state). China also doesn't back neoliberalism.

I looked online for somewhere explaining the situation that isn't behind a paywall I found this about the most recent prime minister:

quote:

The speech by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s at the recent 2019 World Economic Forum in Davos was not without irony. In his speech, Abiy full-heartedly embraced the neoliberal doctrine of the free market—improving the “ease of doing business,” the power of the private sector, open markets and integration, including Ethiopia’s commitment to accelerating accession to the World Trade Organization.  (Abiy repeated his commitment to capitalism as his favored economic model in an interview with the Financial Times at the end of February.)

Only seven years ago, Ethiopia’s former Prime Minister Meles Zenawi hosted the 2012 World Economic Forum on Africa in Addis Ababa where he told the financial elite, quite frankly, that neoliberalism was a totally failed project. Then, in 2012, Meles rejected neoliberal approaches to development in favor of his version of the “developmental state” where the state sits, in theory at least, in the driver seat of development, with ownership over key sectors along with a tightly regulated private sector that serves to advance the overall national development agenda.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't really see that we have to worry about China, it's going the way of Russia at worst, Japan at best. Given it's demographics.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

if china replicates japan’s economic growth it will still end up being the richest and most powerful country in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fart simpson posted:

if china replicates japan’s economic growth it will still end up being the richest and most powerful country in the world

Pretty much. The ‘80s “Japanophobia” was insanely stupid for so many reasons, but one of them was that Japan had less than half the population of the U.S. Making it virtually impossible to be the premiere global superpower.