Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Turpitude II posted:

i've never had any water temperature have any impact on my horny level. what's the rationale? cold water constricts the blood vessels?

It's even dumber than that. Look up hydrotherapy or hydropathy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrotherapy

From that page:
The general idea behind hydropathy during the 1800s was to be able to induce something called a crisis. The thinking was that water invaded any cracks, wounds, or imperfections in the skin, which were filled with impure fluids. Health was considered to be the natural state of the body, and filling these spaces with pure water, would flush the impurities out, which would rise to the surface of the skin, producing pus. The event of this pus emerging was called a crisis, and was achieved through a multitude of methods. These methods included techniques such as sweating, the plunging bath, the half bath, the head bath, the sitting bath, and the douche bath. All of these were ways to gently expose the patient to cold water in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Cold shower after working out or in the afternoon during really hot weather? Sure, that can be nice and refreshing.

Cold shower first thing in the morning? You should probably talk to a psychologist.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

ohnobugs posted:

It's even dumber than that. Look up hydrotherapy or hydropathy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrotherapy

From that page:
The general idea behind hydropathy during the 1800s was to be able to induce something called a crisis. The thinking was that water invaded any cracks, wounds, or imperfections in the skin, which were filled with impure fluids. Health was considered to be the natural state of the body, and filling these spaces with pure water, would flush the impurities out, which would rise to the surface of the skin, producing pus. The event of this pus emerging was called a crisis, and was achieved through a multitude of methods. These methods included techniques such as sweating, the plunging bath, the half bath, the head bath, the sitting bath, and the douche bath. All of these were ways to gently expose the patient to cold water in different ways.

now that's what i call "filling cracks with water", lol

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I had always thought of cold showers as a punishment, but I was wrong. I was so wrong. I should have known better, because my mother always told me that cold showers were the best way to cleanse my body and mind. She said that the ice cold water would shock my system and help me to cleanse my soul. I was skeptical at first, but I decided to give it a try. I filled the tub with icy water and stepped in. I gasped at the coldness, but I briskly began scrubbing myself. After a few minutes, I stepped out and toweled off. I felt refreshed and invigorated.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Cold showers are supposed to help your body burn calories or something, also sports people do the ice bath and there's a lot of money there, so it's probably not entirely quackery.

Also from the land of OSHA: a hot shower that may also be "hot"(which is a term for an electrical wire with an electrical current running through it)

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Here's a Stanford neuro-endocrinologist breaking down cold showers, it's effect on metabolism, and the correct way to do it. It's also one of my favorite podcasts. It's information dense so if you like taking notes while 'relaxing' this is the show for you. Which probably does overlap with psychopaths who enjoy cold showers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqPGXG5TlZw&t=2690s

It seems to be good for accelerating fat loss OP, and starting your day in The Worst Way Possible.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Mistle posted:

Cold showers are supposed to help your body burn calories or something, also sports people do the ice bath and there's a lot of money there, so it's probably not entirely quackery.

A football coach used to regularly buy trash bags full of ice from my dad. I asked one of my footballer friends about this and the ice bath is supposed to stop muscles aching, like they do after you lift weights.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Death had always been a daunting figure for me. Not because he was a scary looking guy, but because he seemed so in control. I mean, who could beat death? He was the one who decided when we would die, and what would happen to our bodies afterwards. But one day, death punched me in the face. I was unprepared for his sudden attack, and I was knocked to the ground. I was about to give up when I remembered my grandfather's words. "No one can beat death, but you can always try." So I got up, dusted myself off, and took a cold shower to sober up. And that's how I started my journey to becoming a better person.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Valko posted:

A football coach used to regularly buy trash bags full of ice from my dad. I asked one of my footballer friends about this and the ice bath is supposed to stop muscles aching, like they do after you lift weights.

ice for soreness, huh. wild stuff.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Spinz posted:

Heres a real answer
If you have anxiety for example and you take a shower and then turn it to cold it can stimulate the parasympathetic response (iirc)
through the vagal nerve reflex or whatever and help you calm down

Hot showers are calming too.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 7, 2022

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Poohs Packin posted:

ice for soreness, huh. wild stuff.

You usually don't get sore until the day after. You have to tear muscle to grow muscle - the ice bath straight after excercising is supposed to help that somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ice bath's in locker rooms are very common especially among pro/collegiate athletes to the point of being nearly stereotypical