Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

the latitude 9000 is very good? it’s also available in 14” (the best size)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

weight is the real determiner for me, and as the x1c is 14" that's what i go for. getting a heavier 13" for mobility seems weird to me.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

carry on then posted:

lift weights.

i refuse

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

13 is best op, laptops are meant to be portable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

weight is the real determiner for me, and as the x1c is 14" that's what i go for. getting a heavier 13" for mobility seems weird to me.

yep.

the macbooks still have unusually large bezels too, which is not a problem inherently, but it means that a 13" mbp is essentially the same size as a 14" x1c so screen size by itself is not a determinant.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Bezels are cool

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Jeorf Bezels has screwed us over again

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Poopernickel posted:

Getting a laptop at my new job. Our IT department will only buy Dell and Apple, and won't buy any XPS laptop for some dumb reason. They have to buy "business machines", which means 17" workstation lapfuckers that weigh 7 pounds. Really puts the "table" in "portable".

I tried to push them into getting me an XPS 13, which is the correct laptop for anybody who's not doing an apple.

The said "no exceptions, it's ~*PoLiCy*~." So guess what, now I'm doing an apple.
:negative:
You really need discrete graphics? There's 13" latitudes that weigh like 2.5 pounds.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gentle Autist posted:

13 is best op, laptops are meant to be portable

i've said it before but i feel like the luggable format needs to make a comeback

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

the luggable format is due for a comeback imo

in fact it looks liek ive said it in this thread

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
14" screen 1920x1080 res is the best.

I have a 16" 2560x1600 screen at the moment. It's a pain because 100% is too small on it at native res, plus it makes it hard to project or share screen in a meeting.
So I end up running it at 1920x1080 which looks crappy.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

it doesn't matter because i only use mine docked. unless i'm in a meeting, and then I prefer a pencil and paper anyway. thnak u for listening to my story

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I blew up my zbook with my amazing spreadsheets :chord:

but now I have the “loaner” laptop because they are just going to repair the loving thing instead of getting a new one :argh:

god drat chip shortage used as an excuse yet again :argh:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

anyway, the loaner has a 13” and it’s stupidly small. you can’t do any real work on this thing. loaner laptops and 13” screens are for babies. don’t sign my posts.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just remembered sager laptops

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
17", but without the 10 key pad moving the whole keyboard over to the side. Also prefer something taller than 16:9.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

work gave me a 13” as a stop get until my 15” MacBook Pro was fulfilled from back order. I liked the 13” more :(

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

have you all determined that 14” is the perfect size laptop yet?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if you don't have to fly a lot, imo the real limiting factor is just weight. a backpack or messenger bag will often fit anything between 12-17 inches (the latter at least with a modern skinny bezel design)

they feel weird but those fujitsu magnesium laptops are wild. 1.95 pounds for a 13.3-inch laptop, it almost felt fake back in the day

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

huh

didn't know they still made computers

i remember fujitsu siemens

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it’s probably rebadged oem

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mean i think they make them in as much as anyone who isn't a company like foxconn makes them.

they recently (in the past few years) did a partnership with lenovo to give lenovo lighter notebooks, but the magnesium lifebook things were all fujitsu for a while

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fujitsus were great for the time, i had one in the mid 2000s and it was very well built, similar to a thinkpd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

i have an xps17 and its a really nice size

xps 17 works because it’s so space efficient.