Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

they also mention they measured those results from people having 5 cups a day. i know this is a coffee drinking thread but i feel like 5 cups is a pretty large amount

It's a pretty small amount IMO. But then I drink it (and cola) in unhealthy amounts, maybe 8-14 cups a day (I underestimated it in my previous post here). Unhealthy, but very tasty and invigorating of course. :)

Back when I was an office worker I'd also suck down as many cups of coffee a day. I bet a lot of office workers do this. Gotta liven up the boring office day somehow!

The Australian news services this week ran one of their annoying "Gee whiz! Science! Amazing new discovery!" items based on a press release about research at a local hospital supposedly showing that coffee is actually good for heart health. Peaking, heart-health wise, at about three cups a day, but still supposedly of benefit at the 4-6 cups a day range. In their usual lame science reporting manner, the news services didn't mention what happens to your health if you exceed that.

However, I see that the study is only about heart health, and didn't attempt to measure or make findings on the other, well known issues with heavy caffeinated beverages intake, such as raised blood pressure. And also the study doesn't appear to be based on causation, only correlation (large surveys apparently), so it might prove nothing... e.g. happy active people might celebrate by drinking more coffee, while the fat and lazy can't be assed making as many cups. Of course the idiot media reported this simply as "Coffee has been found to be good for your health!!!"

In spite of the flaws in that study and its reporting, I'll suspend disbelief anyway and choose to think that coffee is good for my heart. Time for another cup!

tl;dr: Time for another cup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

So, who's drinking coffee now? I'm on my third cup for the 'morning' (I woke up late).

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
sippin on the bean water

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

My AeroPress Go (the smaller, travel friendly version of the big AeroPress) arrived a couple of days ago, and I'm very pleased with it.

The kit comes with a pack of 350 paper filters, which the manufacturer suggests will last a year. :lol: Of course I got an extra pack too.

I also bought a metal grid filter for emergencies. AeroPress recommend the paper filters for general use, and I think they're right... coffee made with my old French press did taste slightly metallic.

The AeroPress makes a strong brew minutes faster than French press, with less unhealthy oils, and IMO much tastier. I won't be going back.

Thanks for turning me on to it, AeroPress goons ITT!