Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Failson posted:

Is this where I admit to being a lapsed member of the https://fieldnotesbrand.com cult? A current (and possibly only) member of the Tribe of the Bic Atlantis?

I’m currently working my way through their National Parks series! They’re great for taking notes at work; have actually used up the B & C packs and am currently working on the A pack (with D on standby lol).

Just noticed they’ve added 2 more packs to the series I guess I need to buy now…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keetron posted:

who told you that vapid lie?

:hmmyes:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Minor update: the Leuchtturm1917 120 is amazing for journalling, scrapbook and sketching with pen & ink. Really good purchase all around. With 200 pages a bit on the fat side but :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ooo I love a nice fat journal though.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Just a friendly heads up, we are getting close to planner season for 2024.

For example, Hobonichi has been revealing their changes and new additions this month with the beginning of September as release. While getting a planner book from them won’t be an issue most likely, your local retailer might have supply issues of the books or there might be a specific limited edition print or accessory that will sell out.

Or another example, if you’re using a loose sheet planner setup where monthly/weekly/daily pages are printed in bulk and then done, those can sell out by Q2 of 2024 if not sooner.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Electronaut posted:

Just a friendly heads up, we are getting close to planner season for 2024.

For example, Hobonichi has been revealing their changes and new additions this month with the beginning of September as release. While getting a planner book from them won’t be an issue most likely, your local retailer might have supply issues of the books or there might be a specific limited edition print or accessory that will sell out.

Or another example, if you’re using a loose sheet planner setup where monthly/weekly/daily pages are printed in bulk and then done, those can sell out by Q2 of 2024 if not sooner.

Thank you for this. I did not know about Hobonichi, and now I have a new planner to buy.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Techo arrived, and if nothing else, it will make me feel more organized. I've been using Field Notes, and while they're great for lists and keeping my finances in order, they're not great for longer term planning, and I've gotten sick of digital options again.

I used to live an die by a moleskin with monthly layouts, so the Day-Free option was perfect.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Failson posted:

Techo arrived, and if nothing else, it will make me feel more organized. I've been using Field Notes, and while they're great for lists and keeping my finances in order, they're not great for longer term planning, and I've gotten sick of digital options again.

I used to live an die by a moleskin with monthly layouts, so the Day-Free option was perfect.

Oooo can we see a pic when you get a chance?

Man the stationery-sellers Paperchase closed a while ago forever and I am bereft. I used to go in and buy notebooks all the time.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Techo! I didn't get anything fancy. It's a perfect layout, with lots of graph paper in the back. Will I learn to read Japanese? Highly doubtful.

Nice quality. Pages are thin, but no bleed through from my Micron pen.

We've lost so many stationary places over the years. I keep a bottle of ink that has a J.K. Gill price tag on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Gill_Company

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I do a custom planner every year and I primarily use ink stamps for dates, days and months. I want to change up- does anyone have an interesting stamp set they would recommend? Preferably one I can get in the US.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I do a custom planner every year and I primarily use ink stamps for dates, days and months. I want to change up- does anyone have an interesting stamp set they would recommend? Preferably one I can get in the US.

Wonderpens has some great Midori stamps, but they're in Canada. If you find one you like you can probably search around and find a local seller.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Wonderpens has some great Midori stamps, but they're in Canada. If you find one you like you can probably search around and find a local seller.

Oh my, good thing they are in Canada and in not local to Europe.
My friend recently said there is a chain in this country with craft supplies that I never heard of, I bet they carry those types of stamps as well. Now what was the name again...

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I was recently linked to a store called Journalsay via some ASMR collaging video, it's pretty clearly an AliExpress storefront but I bought some random stuff because it's cheap as hell. All was decent quality, and they have a shitton of those clear silicone stamps in all kinds of patterns.

Just confirm sizes if you're looking for something specific, I definitely bought some very small things that I thought were going to be bigger. But I have no real complaints. It will take weeks to a month to get to you, but it's better to order now than once LNY gets started.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
This seems like it belongs here.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGe8xhyNG/

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Pixelante posted:

Stationary TikTok is a hole I probably dont need to fall down

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Pixelante posted:

Man, I want one...

Hey goons! It's been a while. I finished off my last journal and started a new one a few months ago. The new one is a blackout journal. As in, all-black pages.

It's been fun, but as I suspected I prefer regular white paper - I have more pens that work on white paper and the ink in the gellyroll pens I use for the black paper take ages to dry, which is a bit of an issue when you're left-handed. That and the 1.0 pens and thickness of the ink doesn't work great with my handwriting.

Although my blackout journal isn't even a third full, I'm planning on moving onto the new journal in the new year. I figure it's more important to go back to something I will actually enjoy using more, and I can still use the blackout journal for doodles, notes, stickers, jotting down recipes and spicy opinions like Final Fantasy IX being the best FF game. :v:

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

froglet posted:

... spicy opinions like Final Fantasy IX being the best FF game. :v:

This is correct.

On topic, I have a few blackout journals myself now and while I have a pretty big stock of gel pens that work with them, I've been having trouble thinking of what to use them for (there is a tiny one I've been keeping random notes in, but I have I think two blackout A5s and a B5 as well. The black paper just looks cool!). Although I have a pretty sizeable amount of regular white paper notebooks too, so that might be more of a me problem than one with the paper color at this point.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

froglet posted:

spicy opinions like Final Fantasy IX being the best FF game. :v:

Tactics. :colbert:

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

How about IX is the best main line and Tactics is the best spinoff (I also love Tactics).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Going back to paper color conversation, Hahnemuhle has two sketchbooks with tinted paper: Cappucino Book and the Grey Book and both are amazing for journalling and of course sketching. They are rather affordable.
Unlike this other book I saw on their site: https://www.hahnemuehle.shop/en/iconic-notebook/18300100
drat, I am not scared to spend on a great journal but this is a bit too much.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Keetron posted:

Going back to paper color conversation, Hahnemuhle has two sketchbooks with tinted paper: Cappucino Book and the Grey Book and both are amazing for journalling and of course sketching. They are rather affordable.
Unlike this other book I saw on their site: https://www.hahnemuehle.shop/en/iconic-notebook/18300100
drat, I am not scared to spend on a great journal but this is a bit too much.

Goddamn if I spent that on a journal I would simply never use it. I already have a bit of 'I will ruin it' anxiety when starting a *normal* notebook.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

HopperUK posted:

Goddamn if I spent that on a journal I would simply never use it. I already have a bit of 'I will ruin it' anxiety when starting a *normal* notebook.

Good grief yeah while I frequently tell myself I unthinkingly spend comparable amounts of money on eating out without thinking twice, so why beat myself up over some pens or a journal, that kind of money is probably the point where my brain spiders would start menacing me.

DurianGray posted:

This is correct.

On topic, I have a few blackout journals myself now and while I have a pretty big stock of gel pens that work with them, I've been having trouble thinking of what to use them for (there is a tiny one I've been keeping random notes in, but I have I think two blackout A5s and a B5 as well. The black paper just looks cool!). Although I have a pretty sizeable amount of regular white paper notebooks too, so that might be more of a me problem than one with the paper color at this point.

I actually have some FFIX-themed washi tape - my partner gave it to me for Christmas one year. It's fricken adorable.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I borrowed someone's pen, and it was a Pentel Energel 0.3 needle tip. Felt amazing to write with.

Dunno if I'll replace my Sakura Microns but it's a contender.

Edit: Yes, I gave the pen back, I'm not a monster.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Failson posted:

I borrowed someone's pen, and it was a Pentel Energel 0.3 needle tip. Felt amazing to write with.

Dunno if I'll replace my Sakura Microns but it's a contender.

Edit: Yes, I gave the pen back, I'm not a monster.

It's a very good pen, especially for tiny writing. I'm on my second one.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

froglet posted:

Good grief yeah while I frequently tell myself I unthinkingly spend comparable amounts of money on eating out without thinking twice, so why beat myself up over some pens or a journal, that kind of money is probably the point where my brain spiders would start menacing me.

This one took me a while but you have a very good point. Cooking two meals will offset the purchase of a nice notebook.

Yesterday I force filled the last 20 pages of the fat Leuchterm 120 with a ton of scraps I had lying about, the book now looks overfed and chunky on the shelve. So what is next?
I like doing a sketch journal but then people want to leaf through the sketches and scattered amongst that are many brain worms and farts that I'd rather keep to myself. In fact, I instructed my daughters to burn all my journals without reading them when I die, I hope they make it a party with unhealthy amounts of alcohol.
Anyway.

The next journal will no longer be combined, I'll keep a written journal and a sketchbook separate from each other again. As the journal I'll use a midori MD A5 blank notebook. There is no information on the paper weight or amount of pages in the book, we'll see.
No decision has been made on the sketch book, I am leaning towards a moleskine art book, they are rather versatile and have a pleasant size.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I bought a Midori 10-Year journal for the new year, and I've actually been using it. It helps that the space for each day is small, so I don't feel overwhelmed trying to "fill the space", and it makes me think about what to write.

Granted, my life is pretty boring, so not much need to pick one thing over another, but its neat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Annath posted:

I bought a Midori 10-Year journal for the new year, and I've actually been using it. It helps that the space for each day is small, so I don't feel overwhelmed trying to "fill the space", and it makes me think about what to write.

Granted, my life is pretty boring, so not much need to pick one thing over another, but its neat.

Oof that's spendy, but so pretty! What colour's yours?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

HopperUK posted:

Oof that's spendy, but so pretty! What colour's yours?

Blue and Gold :D

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Oh that 10yr journal is something else, not sure how I’d feel about such a commitment.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I just started year 4 on my 5 year Leuchtturm "Some Lines A Day" and I'm going to upgrade to a Midori or Hobonichi for my next one. A few of the pages in December got sloppy with the glue and stick together near the spine, it's a pain. The book itself looks nice though, and it's been holding up pretty well otherwise.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
A little while ago I realized that I do a lot of journaling and have a modest collection of stationary. I like the idea of having a gorgeous journal full of bullet points but I don't have anything so nice. To me anything one fills up will look interesting.

I do have a red dot journal that I use with my kids. When they're four we start going out and drawing the things around our home. This one shown is plants in our neighborhood. It helps them put a name to what they see and practice writing. We just use pens, color pencils and crayons.

Some (old) inks. Have a close look to see how old.

Journals from bottom to top: neighborhood flora and a Linden leaf, 2024 calendar book (already torn,) one-sentence journal, and exercise log.

Seals from craft stores and a dusty old Franklin Mint seal kit.

Crane's stationary, Parker pen, Cross pen and pencil. Last wrote a letter about 4 months ago not counting holiday cards.

Lots of nice information in this thread.

abravemoose fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 20, 2024

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I bought a Hobonichi Techo Weeks Mega for 2024 and it is so nice! I got two sets of uniball 0.5 one gel colored pen trios to use with it, they have been surprisingly smooth and not smudgy even as a lefty. The hobonichi planner lays flat, has an intuitive layout and enough free space to customize how you use it.

I also love Platinum Preppy fountain pens, the refills are convenient and the range of colors and special editions available make it really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Officially been journalling for a year now.

I haven't finished my first journal yet, but I've certainly made a dent in it.