Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I figure between the ADHD, Fountain Pens and a few CC threads we probably have enough people for a dedicated journalling/writing + drawing things down in a journal thread, so here we goooo...

Why Journal?

• It's fun and you can be as creative as you like
  • You remember more when you physically write things down Source (one of many)
  • If you're someone who has any mental health concerns or a diagnosed condition, journalling can help you reflect, retain information, and gain self-confidence
  • Track anything you like, however you like
  • It can help you improve your communication skills
  • You can mess with people by filling a book with weird stuff and leaving it where the goth kids hang out

At the end of the day, though, you don't need any justification or reason for doing it. Sometimes people do things just because, alright?

What would I need?

A book to write in and a pen, possibly a highlighter too if that's your jam.

If you're not sure this is something you'll enjoy over the long term, just use an exercise book you already have, gotten from a friend, neighbour, etc.

Is there a difference between a diary, planner and bullet journal?

Honestly, I use these somewhat interchangeably, but here's a rough idea:

Diary - usually to keep a daily/weekly log of what you did. Can come with or without days/dates written in
Planner - for planning ahead, usually come with the days/dates already printed in
Bullet Journal - usually a journal that's a hybrid of the two to help you log your day and plan for the future

Why's it called a bullet journal?

Technically, bullet journalling isn't the book itself, it's a system of journalling/notetaking outlined in the 2013 book The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll, who has ADHD and needed a method to "track the past, order the present, and design the future". While you can use the book to get started, it's not necessary (there's a few videos on how to get started with the system). Bullet Journalling has largely developed a life of its own complete with youtube videos, stores selling official and unofficial bullet journals, instagram hashtags, and widespread adoption by online communities such as 'studytube' (yes this is a thing, do not look it up unless you are okay with your YouTube recommendations becoming a pastel nightmare world with titles such as 'huge back to school stationery haul').

Quick rundown of the syntax:

. = task
x = task completed
> = task migrated
< = task scheduled
- = notes
o = events

Do I need a bunch of expensive stationery?

Absolutely not! I mean, I have to actively resist not spending a fortune on the associated nonsense, but I am also someone who never really grew out of their 'nice stationery' phase as a child. At the end of the day - don't feel pressured into buying stuff you're not sure you'll use or if it'll work for you.

Picking a journal

If you'd like to buy a journal, there's really only four things you need to work out - size, page thickness, whether it's blank, has lines, a grid, or dot-grid, and whether or not you want dates, years, etc printed on it already.

Size - you can get journals in many standard paper sizes, the most common ones being A5 and A4, that and the number of pages is something you should gauge based upon how you plan to use it
Page thickness - thicker paper means less bleed through if you're using markers, highlighters, paint, etc, but also means the books are heavier and/or you'll churn through the books quickly if you discover writing an entire stream of consciousness is your new hobby
Blank/lined/grid/dot-grid - blank if you're an artist or can write in a straight line with no worries, lined if you're only planning on writing, grid and dot-grid for those of us who want the flexibility to draw but also can't write in a straight line.

Some other factors you may want to consider:
Spine - traditional bindings vs ring bindings
Pen holders - might be good to consider getting a book with a pen holder inbuilt if you're worried about losing your pen(s)
Paper colour - yes you can get them with black pages and just write in a gel or paint maker

Some journal brands (may expand on this later, anyone with these - share your thoughts):
  • Leuchtturm 1917 (haven't used, hear it's good for fountain pens, they have recently released a range of these with thicker paper)
    • ephphatha: I bought a few A6/pocket notepads in 80g/m weight, they're ok for fountain pen use. Writing is visible through the paper which makes it a bit average for double-sided writing but there's no noticeable feathering or bleed through to other pages with the inks I've been using. The paper seems to take a few seconds to dry so not great for lefties, for right-handed writing it's fine as long as you give it a bit instead of closing wet pages together.
  • Rhodia (haven't used)
    • ephphatha: Really nice paper, same weight as the leuchtturm notepads and yet with the same pen/ink the ink dries quickly and isn't visible through the page.
  • Moleskine (haven't used)
    • ephphatha: Garbage paper for wet inks/fountain pens. Feathers and bleeds through constantly. Fine with gel inks/ballpoints/pencils though and pretty easy to find.
  • Archer & Olive - I have one of these, I really like it coz it lays flat when I write it and I am extremely left handed, the paper is super thick and satisfying, and I swear this isn't me shilling them for a kickback, I just really like it.
  • Peter Pauper Press - I've heard they're affordable and good, don't have one myself
  • Clairefontaine
    • ephphatha: Similar quality to Rhodia. Slightly heavier paper makes them take ink even better, dries pretty much immediately.
  • Field Notes - get a lot of love from the fountain pen thread
  • Midori

Other Stationery

While I would like to discourage people from buying a bunch of stuff they don't need or may regret later, I admit a part of the fun is the flimsy justification for buying/using cute stationery. Here's a few things I've used myself or have seen others use that may help the habit stick and/or scratch your stationery itch:

• Washi tape - decorative japanese masking tape made of hemp, comes in different patterns/designs
  • Coloured pens/pencils
  • Stencils - for the artistically challenged like me, so you don't have to use a ruler / for repetitive stuff
  • Rubber stamps
  • Brush markers - for hand lettering and art, you can get dual-tipped ones with a brush end and a regular marker end
  • Highlighters - studytube fricken loves the Mildliner range
  • Stickers! 'nuff said :getin:
  • ... and many more things

I like the idea, but what should I journal?

Up to you, but here's some ideas if don't know where to start:
  • To do lists
  • Books you've read / movies you've seen / albums you've listened to
  • What you did today
  • Dreams
  • Positive affirmations / gratitude / mindfulness stuff
  • Art
  • Recipes
  • Record maintenance you've done on your house/car/boat
  • Project or study notes
  • ... etc

Do I need nice handwriting?

Nah, so long as it's legible enough for you to read back (assuming you'd like to read it back at some future point, that is!)

How do I improve my handwriting?

It's probably to do with how you hold the pen and/or the amount of pressure you're using. The only way to get better is to practice, and I'd possibly suggest using a fountain pen or a brush pen with a stiff tip to retrain yourself out of Hulk-smashing the tip of the pen into the paper.

I've been trying to do handlettering tutorials, for which I'd recommend trying something like the Pentel Sign Brush Pen to get used to the technique. I'm left handed and have done calligraphy in the past, but I still found I've frayed some of my nice Tombow brush markers because I don't have the technique quite right yet, alas.

Okay smartypants, what's yours look like?

Mine is very much an ode to imperfection, but here you go...

Inside cover + what I actually use most days:

Wrote the bullet journal symbols onto a post-it and taped it inside the page with some washi tape so I could have a fold out reference.

The feelings wheel sticker is from RedBubble (not super impressed with the quality, but oh well), while the bird sticker is of a Carnaby's Black Cockatoo, which are an endangered species only found in Western Australia. Actually, going to shamelessly plug the conservation centre I got it from here - Kaarakin Black Cockatoo Conservation Centre. Buy a sticker, help save these hilarious can openers with wings - the conservation centre ships internationally!

January cover page/habit tracker. I find habit trackers are a horrible idea for me personally, but apparently they work for some people...

How it started:

How it's going:

... The moral of this story is different things work for different people and the important thing is to have fun and do what makes you happy.

Related Threads:
Fountain Pens:I strongly support any and all financially crippling fountain pen purch
Ask me about childhood and adult ADD
Adult ADHD Thread: You're not lazy, stupid, or crazy.

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Placeholder for misc stationery stuff! :getin:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I am a sticker addict, and I have a sticker recs! Etsy is an especially cheap place to get stickers. Note, I’m Australian and many stores I’m going to discuss are Australian, but I’ll list example prices in ‘murican (shipping prices are on you to check).

Sticker mystery packs/lucky dips/lucky bags

If you want to try out a whole bunch of stickers and enjoy surprises, this is the easiest way to get that ‘ooh what’s in the mail’ serotonin hit. Always make sure to check the sidebar; some lucky dips might be $2 for 2, others might be $2 for 20, it’s very store dependent.

Top rec: 10pgsticker, who has 40 stickers for $5, or 10 sticker sheets for $9, and often tosses in a bunch of freebies. If you like kawaii/cute stuff, and don’t mind what you get, good choice.

Oops bags (aka ‘oopsie/oopsy/seconds/B-grade’).

Sometimes sticker creators make mistakes like the wrong colours or slightly off cuts or little scratches, and rather than toss them in the trash, many put them up in bags with a huge discount. Often you can barely (or not even) tell there’s mistakes. This is probably the lowest cost way to try out a bunch of more expensive stores, but because they only happen when there’s an error, you can’t really predict when they’ll be around or what’s in them. If you see a sticker shop you like, consider following it for updates when they have bags.

Some stores I’ve had good experiences with:
- Paper and prints: $6 pack of 5 sheets of metallic stickers with a functional/business bent
- Cremechii: $5 for 5 large stickers or 1 sticker sheet, with a video games and cats bent (pokemon, genshin impact, etc.)

Misc:
- Bu2ma: Fat tiger stickers.
- Circling the moon: Motivational stickers.
- Susu: Holographic/glitter stickers.
- Poroful: Studio Ghibli, Pokemon, Animal crossing, cute animal stickers + washi tape.
- Greer Stothers: Weird, yet intriguing, stickers.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 7, 2022

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Oh, hey, a thread relative to my interests.

I kept a diary for about a year and a half in high school, but fell off it around the time I graduated. I started another one around the summer of 2020 and I've been writing an entry daily ever since. I just hit entry number 600!

I also started a Leuchtterm branded "Some Lines a Day" daily diary at the beginning of 2021 where I record a basic What did I do today entry and a few headlines that catch my eye.

My journaling style is a scrapbook/collage kind of system where I tape in anything that catches my interest: Photos I've taken, art that I liked and printed off, memes, cards and mementos from friends, stickers I like, all kinds of stuff. I went on a 3 week trip at the end of last year and kept my entries in a separate book, cut out the pages, then taped them in because I was afraid of losing my big diary.

I switch up materials and tools to keep it interesting. I used a Uni Jetstream 3-in-1 for a long stretch to easily cycle through colors, but I've got some Pilot Metros with different Noodler inks when I'm bored of that. I just went back to using one with Noodler's black ink and my entries have gotten pretty short as I've been really fatigued lately. I've used the big Moleskine cahier XL books in the past because Costco had a good price on a multi pack, but my current one is an A5 Tomoe river paper notebook from Nanami Paper. Nearing the end of it, though, and I'm not sure if I want to stick with this size or go back to bigger. I've got some postcards and things that don't fit in an A5 and I don't want a separate book for it all.

Supplies (mostly US based, I'm afraid)! For notebooks I like to shop Nanami Paper or Taroko on Etsy / Taroko Standalone. Both shops have good customer service and package up my orders pretty promptly. For Washi I like Amanda Mischell Standalone and Amanda Mischell Etsy because she also packs up and ships my stuff pretty speedily. Jet Pens has me covered for general supplies like ink, pens, that kind of stuff.

I'll take some photos of my stuff later, my current diary's a beast.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

froglet posted:

Some journal brands (may expand on this later, anyone with these - share your thoughts):
Leuchtturm 1917 (haven't used, hear it's good for fountain pens, they have recently released a range of these with thicker paper)
I bought a few A6/pocket notepads in 80g/m weight, they're ok for fountain pen use. Writing is visible through the paper which makes it a bit average for double-sided writing but there's no noticeable feathering or bleed through to other pages with the inks I've been using. The paper seems to take a few seconds to dry so not great for lefties, for right-handed writing it's fine as long as you give it a bit instead of closing wet pages together.

froglet posted:

Moleskine (haven't used)
Garbage paper for wet inks/fountain pens. Feathers and bleeds through constantly. Fine with gel inks/ballpoints/pencils though and pretty easy to find.

froglet posted:

Rhodia (haven't used)
Really nice paper, same weight as the leuchtturm notepads and yet with the same pen/ink the ink dries quickly and isn't visible through the page.

I've also tried Clairefontaine notepads and they're similar quality to Rhodia. Slightly heavier paper makes them take ink even better, dries pretty much immediately.

I've seen Field notes recommended a lot in the fountain pen thread but never tried them myself, been meaning to give them a shot though since they offer a range of pocket-sized pads in various designs and also manage to be relatively cheap compared to other brands.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have a Midori TN that I've carried around with me for years. I only actually write in it about once a week, but sometimes I go through spurts of writing every day when I have the time to do so. During the pandemic it became harder to sit down and write about stuff because I couldn't go out to my usual spot and get a drink while I wrote, and it's not like I had much to write about anyway. So I've fallen off a bit since then.

I try to leave spaces after significant life events so that I can come back and comment on them later. A few times I've returned to something I wrote years ago and I wanted to put down something about how my perspective has changed, or some words of encouragement that I could somehow fling into the past. I try to thi j of journaling as if I'm writing to myself in the future, so sometimes I will address myself, some different version of myself, when I am feeling particularly heavy about it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ephphatha posted:

I've seen Field notes recommended a lot in the fountain pen thread but never tried them myself, been meaning to give them a shot though since they offer a range of pocket-sized pads in various designs and also manage to be relatively cheap compared to other brands.

Field notes are nice. I have one for fountain pen use and the paper is nice enough to write both sides on a page. Keep in mind that they are meant to be very thin. It says "48 pages" but the book has 24 sheets, implying that you need to write on both sides. So you'll want to use a relatively finer nib that you're still comfortable with, rather than one that dumps ink all over a page and tends to stain the page beneath it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Buying and using stationary has been a lifelong hobby of mine. Well, mostly the buying. I'd get Paperblank notebooks and use it with a pilot metro for work notes, really nice and I filled a few over the years. A year or two ago, with the pandemic in full swing, I needed an outlet for my discontent and decided to get it all out of my system by just writing it all down. I had a few blank notebooks around and bought some more fountain pens and ink that needed use in one way or the other. That is when my journaling really started.

Small fact: I use almost exclusively A5 sized books and love fountain pens. When I say book it can mean lined or unlined notebooks or sketchbooks. I don't like bullets.

At first I would write multiple pages per day but my hand and arm did not like that very much so I went to one page a day, filled at least two paperblank books that way. My daughters gifted me a Peter Pauper press book and that one was filled as well. It is slightly smaller than a5 and the lines are widely spaces so where I would otherwise fill one page now I needed two. It is a fine book, good paper quality for FP.
During my summer holiday 2021 I tried to fill a watercolor sketchbook with something like 40 pages with a visual journal, it worked mostly.

Because I tend to doodle during meetings and for stress relief, I did a comparison of various books and papers that can be found on my blog catropy.com under Sketchbook Selections. During and since then, my appreciation of all ink specific books made by Hahnemuhle has grown a ton. Sturdy books with top quality paper, especially the Nostalgie line is amazing.

Anyway, all that writing was basically getting me into a rut and I found I wrote more or less the same every day but I kept at it for just not really knowing what else to do.
Last month I finished the book The Creative Licence by Danny Gregory and it basically encourages people to keep a visual journal in ink, to ditch perfectionism and just draw with small notes. While at first I wanted to completely fill my previous book, it had some 35 pages left, my wife convinced me to just write minor entries in that book while starting a new one.

Visual journaling is rather fun. I use a Hahnenmuhle nostalgie book in A5 landscape and am rather curious about how things will develop over the coming weeks to be honest. I draw with a TWSBI 580 rose gold F filled with Platinum Carbon Ink, if anyone cares, I can post some examples.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Here's my current monster with a salt shaker for scale.

My previous ones didn't get so big because they were way fewer pages, haha. I've taped in instant photos, laminated things I've printed out, I've made little tip-in envelopes and pockets for stuff friends have sent me. I'm pretty impressed with how the book itself has held up, it's a Nanami Crossfield and the binding is all sewn.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

Here's my current monster with a salt shaker for scale.

My previous ones didn't get so big because they were way fewer pages, haha. I've taped in instant photos, laminated things I've printed out, I've made little tip-in envelopes and pockets for stuff friends have sent me. I'm pretty impressed with how the book itself has held up, it's a Nanami Crossfield and the binding is all sewn.

Nice! I added some pics to the OP of how I started and it's going now I've now got far less time for fun layouts since the Christmas holidays, but I'm still journalling and enjoying it. :shobon:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I use these little journals all the time for art sketches, thoughts, layout etc. I'm just a few pages from finishing up my favorite one, a generic Peter pauper press dot matrix which is such a weird bummer as I used to enjoy getting them more than using them. Now I'm flying through them. One of my favorite larger ones is a cheap Royal and langnickel that feels amazing with a big thick carpenter pencil. I left that in the rain the other day damnit! I started with Leuchtturm 1917 and moleskin, leuchtturm had a sweet pen holder I ended up liking less than I thought. Always looking for sturdy art notebooks. gently caress field notes though

Someday I want to have a bunch of filled up idea notebooks in a bookshelf, that would kill.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Any suggestions as a lefty to keep your hand from becoming an inky/graphite-smudged mess?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Xand_Man posted:

Any suggestions as a lefty to keep your hand from becoming an inky/graphite-smudged mess?

God, :same:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Pentel Energel. Super quick drying ink, you just don't have a chance to smudge it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, for left-handed, you generally want to seek out a couple of things:

1) fast-drying ink - you want ink that will soak into the paper quickly and bind without leaving a lot of pigment/gel/whatever on the paper surface. If it's stuck to the paper, it can't smear, right?
2) finer-writing tips - obviously, a finer writer will lay down less ink, leaving less for the paper to absorb, and less to smear. YMMV with this one
3) consider using a fine-tipped Sharpie. They make retractable pens that work nicely. I'm generally a fountain pen guy but those are such a hassle for left-handed writers that you may have to seek alternatives.
4) "toothy" paper - paper choice matters a lot but generally more fibrous paper has a better time "holding" modern inks than your fancier fountain pen-friendly papers that have a longer dry time. They also tend to absorb faster.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey cool thread! I bought a fountain pen and a Leuchtturm softcover notebook in January and I've been jotting down stream of consciousness shitposts almost daily since, just from the joy of writing by hand. It's like twitter, but I don't have to put up with assholes! :v:

Since then I also bought a hardcover A5 Leuchtturm for school notes (I feel bougie as poo poo but gently caress that get nice things in your life), and while it feels fancier than the softcover, it's actually too thick to comfortably write on both sides of the page.

I feel like I'm about to fall into a pencil rabbit hole. I'm already window shopping for Blackwings and fancy imports from Japan.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I am not left handed, but I find Noodler's bernanke blue to be a very good quick drying ink.

The reason behind the name is very :rolleyes: but if you pair it with a fountain pen with a nib on the finer end (see tips in the above post by Heath) then it should work quite well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

Hey cool thread! I bought a fountain pen and a Leuchtturm softcover notebook in January and I've been jotting down stream of consciousness shitposts almost daily since, just from the joy of writing by hand. It's like twitter, but I don't have to put up with assholes! :v:

Since then I also bought a hardcover A5 Leuchtturm for school notes (I feel bougie as poo poo but gently caress that get nice things in your life), and while it feels fancier than the softcover, it's actually too thick to comfortably write on both sides of the page.

I feel like I'm about to fall into a pencil rabbit hole. I'm already window shopping for Blackwings and fancy imports from Japan.

You eloquently put in words how I feel about journaling.

My opinion on blackwings is that they are nice and a bit like Bentleys, similar luxury can be acquired for less but then you won't have a Bentley.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Siivola posted:

Oh, it doesn't lay flat? I've defs seen people use bullclips and so on to hold the pages in place, but it could be when you next need a new notebook you may want to consider whether or not it lays flat(ter) is an important characteristic.

WRT: covetting pencils or whatever: The thing I tell my friends who are not stationery people (heh) is that I only count it as a waste of money if I don't use it and/or it lands up as a part of my 'too nice to use for anything but special occasions' shrine. I try not to have too much 'special occasion' stuff, coz that's as much of a waste as frivolously using brush ink pens to, I dunno, write shopping lists, but I still occasionally think 'no, I cannot use that! It is for a special occasion!'. I'm working on it :shobon:

There's also how, as far as vices/obsessions go, stationery can be a lot more affordable than the myriad other things people pour their money into, and if you're pretty sure you're done enjoying a new pen or whatever, you can give them away to anyone in your life who thinks it may be fun, friends children, leave it in a friends house and they'll forever wonder where they got it, etc.

Xand_Man posted:

:hfive: fellow leftie! It really depends on the type of paper, the type of pen (or pencil), and what you're doing with it. That... Isn't very helpful, but here's a few thoughts:

Pencils - I find the grade of pencil will determine how much graphite I accrue on my hand while drawing (8B, smear it all over the page, HB, not so much), and smoother paper means more transference while textured paper means less, but honestly... Righties probably get that too (when it comes to drawing, that is). If I'm super committed to drawing/writing in pencil, I use a piece of baking paper under my writing hand (and, uh, maybe try not to press down too much). I've also heard about artist bridges but my art is more kindergarten than Kahlo, so I've never felt the need.

Pens - if you're wanting to do fancy calligraphy, I suggest trying either a Pentel sign brush pen (they're cheap, are widely available, and come in a heap of colours), or a cheap and cheerful fountain pen. The thing about writing with fountain pens or doing calligraphy is that you need to sort of hold the pen at a semi-consistent angle and let your shoulder do most of the work, and while that may come more naturally to right-handers because they pull the pen left to right, for lefties it's harder because they push the pen left to right. It means it's harder to learn and you're more likely to break your pens while learning, so do yourself a favour and buy something cheap and cheerful that you won't be too heartbroken about mangling first, then get the nice pen (... or not, it's up to you!).

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like prismacolor pencils. They smell nice. I swear I have a Leuchtturm notebook somewhere around the house. I need to find it!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

froglet posted:

Oh, it doesn't lay flat? I've defs seen people use bullclips and so on to hold the pages in place, but it could be when you next need a new notebook you may want to consider whether or not it lays flat(ter) is an important characteristic.
It lays flat-ish and I'm sure it'll flatten out with use, it's just that it's almost 200 pages so right now my hand is propped up on a stack of paper about 10 mm thick. Oh well, just gotta draw my circuit diagrams bigger so I can use more pages!

froglet posted:

There's also how, as far as vices/obsessions go, stationery can be a lot more affordable than the myriad other things people pour their money into
Yeah I don't think my stationery bill will compete with my ukulele habit any time soon. :retrogames:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The only Leuchhterm I have is my 5 year diary and it doesn't lay flat very well. Also some of the December pages got glued together too far out from the spine, but I got it on discount so whatever. Paper's real nice though.

I've given up on buying loads of pens and markers and settled on the few I like and use. I still buy too many notebooks. I'm about to get a few more, lol.

But I started a bullet journal again, and I decided to use a spare XL moleskine as a scrapbook for big cards after all. So, take a penny, leave a penny I guess.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Recently I made a book for a collaboration project as I wanted as many pages as possible using high quality water color paper while keeping the weight below 300gr total for the book, whipping would become very expensive over 350gr (so 300 for the book, 50 left for packaging). It also needs to be able to open and lay flat.
So I went with a coptic stitch from pearfleur without covers, each page a score. Due to the lack of covers, when using the outmost pages, for sure you need to support it but that is a price you sometimes have to pay.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://shop.zetallis.com/collections/notebooks-stationary/products/laser-cat-stationary-set

:allears: I am so tempted to pick up a set and use it for letters

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am here to evangelise for the Artway Doodle journal, which you can get from their own website or off Amazon, at least in the UK.

The paper is a gorgeous off-white and the cover is soft leatherish. They take fountain pen ink very well. I used one for my Apothecaria game and it worked excellently. And they have lots of colours, and they are not too expensive! about a tenner.

Here's a page from my game. You can see that the ink has feathered slightly but it's nothing to worry about by my standards.

Doodles:
https://artway.co.uk/artway-doodle-soft-leather-sketchbook-journal-175x125mm/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
That paper looks really nice to write or draw on also I love looking at other peoples notebooks

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, in that case,

Stabilo Swano HB on a Leuchtturm1917 hardcover A5. Shoutouts to M+R, that sharpener is probably older than I am and still does a great job.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Did you check the datasheet?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I should really do that more often, thanks for reminding me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

That paper looks really nice to write or draw on also I love looking at other peoples notebooks

I got something for you: https://catropy.com/2022/03/22/weekend-to-brussels/
Very pleased with those journal pages.

Funny thing, if you know how to do perspective but you go loose about it, it looks better than perfect perspective.
Anyway, it is a Hahnemuhle Nostalgie A5 landscape book with a fountainpen (TWSBI 580 rose gold F) filled with Platinum Carbon ink, paired with Faber-Castell PITT artist Pen brush warm greys I, III & V and the terracotta set I got while in Brussels.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 23, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Siivola posted:

Well, in that case,

Stabilo Swano HB on a Leuchtturm1917 hardcover A5. Shoutouts to M+R, that sharpener is probably older than I am and still does a great job.

I like your handwriting.

Keetron - you're right about perspective! You have to know how to do it, but once you know, you can relax and it will still come out looking nice! Love your sketches, these are inspirational to me. Those Faber Castell Pitt pens are super nice, aren't they? I only have black ones and I think one sepia.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

In 2021 I had a grand vision to get better at noticing the passage of time by writing it down every time A Thing Happened. I sort of mixed together personal items, news items, and the Meme Of The Day. If it was a thing that was all I thought about that day, it went in the journal. If there wasn't anything, I defaulted to what felt like the biggest headline.

I fell off it completely by July because I got hyperfocused on writing a webnovel (lmfao). Part of the problem was my dumbass little collages. They took too long, I had to get on a computer and print a bunch of stuff, I'd procrastinate and then not do it. So this year I bought a bluetooth thermal printer and a few rolls of sticker paper.

It only does black and white, but it greatly simplifies the process.

I also designed a sticker for myself as a reading tracker.

So far the only thing I've been able to use to write on the stickers without smearing is permanent marker. It's a downside but I can't draw or do cute spreads so making stickers is about where I'm at. I also have what I call The List, which isn't organized in any way and isn't even dated, it's just a constant rolling list of poo poo I want to write down. I like an A6 notebook because I have a knockoff Hobonichi Techo wallet that holds an A6 perfectly, letting my keep my weird book of stickers on me at all times.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Everett False posted:

So this year I bought a bluetooth thermal printer and a few rolls of sticker paper.

...this is amazing. I want one of these real bad. Thank you for mentioning it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Grovertruk was a year ago? Am I reading that right

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

It was, time really flies. Even without the full year, going back and looking at the months I actually filled out is a wild ride of "I forgot that happened" and "how was that a year ago, that feels like last week" and "oh no, foreshadowing".

The printer I got is the Phomemo M02, but I often regret not paying the extra for the higher resolution printer. I have to print larger than I'd like for text to come out legibly, which takes up valuable sticker space.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

So far the only thing I've been able to use to write on the stickers without smearing is permanent marker.

Are you using fountain pen ink? Do you want some possible suggestions on what ink to use that could stick on the stickers?

I might get that printer and put :sickos: on the reverse side of every page where I write about schadenfreude.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

The ability to print sickos stickers on demand was well worth the price of admission, tbqh.

So far I've tried colored pencils (super faint), Papermate felt-tip pens (smudged no matter how long I waited), and Sharpies (takes a minute to dry but is fine after that). I haven't even bothered trying with my fountain pens, I feel like those would smudge for sure if even a regular felt-tip marker isn't cutting it. I don't know if they sell a version of the sticker paper that isn't glossy/actively resistant to being inked. Considering the texture of most receipts, it might just be an inherent property of thermal printing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Everett False posted:

The ability to print sickos stickers on demand was well worth the price of admission, tbqh.

So far I've tried colored pencils (super faint), Papermate felt-tip pens (smudged no matter how long I waited), and Sharpies (takes a minute to dry but is fine after that). I haven't even bothered trying with my fountain pens, I feel like those would smudge for sure if even a regular felt-tip marker isn't cutting it. I don't know if they sell a version of the sticker paper that isn't glossy/actively resistant to being inked. Considering the texture of most receipts, it might just be an inherent property of thermal printing.

I have at least 30 different inks with varying properties. I'll try to get the printer and see if I can write on any without smudging. I usually have good luck with Noodler's Kung Te-cheng but I make no guarantees.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I like your handwriting.
Thank you, likewise! I only switched back to cursive this year, and I'm real happy I still remember how to write it since I haven’t used it for, I dunno, 20 years? I switched to a semi-connected hand in school and didn't look back until recently. Still needs some work – I’m not happy with my lower case b (looks too much like k) so I'm slowly trying to change it to a different shape, and my capital letters are all real dull so I want to learn some decorative swoops and swirls.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Keetron - you're right about perspective! You have to know how to do it, but once you know, you can relax and it will still come out looking nice! Love your sketches, these are inspirational to me. Those Faber Castell Pitt pens are super nice, aren't they? I only have black ones and I think one sepia.

Once upon a time, over a decade ago, I bought the 48 box and my daughters loved them and then used them so much, they destroyed them but with love. A few weeks ago I got the greys pack and last week the terracotta. I think that last purchase was pointless and just kept it to the greys, that really is enough.