Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sleen posted:

My 2 weeks pto per year doesn’t roll over, better use it before I ‘lose’ it haha. Going to book a nice staycation with the missus

It makes me upset at how little vacation americans get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Man how about that baseball strike I was really looking forward to spring training

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Doc Fission posted:

I make $65K right now and it's eerily apparent that unless I get another couple of pay bumps very soon it won't be enough to continue living in a major metro area in the States.

do the 2 remote jobs thing!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Just bought a boat. Now I'll start saving for the oars

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Methanar posted:

It's a lot of money and honestly starting to creep into bougie territory. Anyone making 60k better start being careful about accepting their rich get richer raises because 70k is the cut off for when guillotine cut offs start. If you know what I mean.

It's triple the wage of someone making 10.5 an hour. Nobody making 70k is actually producing 3x the value of a cashier who makes only 23k for a full year rs work.

drat dude think about how bougie cashiers are compared workers in afghanistan, better kill them too

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It makes me upset at how little vacation americans get.

I get five weeks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"But really, I'm only doing this until I can cash out my savings and stock options and open up a restaurant or a bakery."

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i think i'll move to edmonton and have a mental breakdown

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

move to victoria instead, trust me

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

neato burrito posted:

I get five weeks.

That's cool if you get to take them all, or they make you take all 5 weeks every year, or they pay you out what you don't take.

Otherwise its just a thing on the job advert.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Greg of Doom posted:

That's cool if you get to take them all, or they make you take all 5 weeks every year, or they pay you out what you don't take.

Otherwise its just a thing on the job advert.

Although nothing is quite like the annual meetings where everybody wrangles over who takes their vacation when.

My wife just did this for her lab people, who now get eight weeks of mandatory paid vacation. If you heard the people complaining that they can’t get overtime in Department A while taking paid vacation in Department B, you’d think she’d crucified their dog.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Szyznyk posted:

Our fundamental financial weakness is clearly DoorDash. $58 for Jason’s Deli.

Door Dash is certainly a symptom or the issue. Companies have absolutely identified they can force whatever kind of market they want if they throw enough VC money at it long enough while they wait for people to pay for it and accept it

Like no one asked for a loving grubhub and now its a major food service middleman that drives restaurant prices up even if you arent using them

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

scott zoloft posted:

Door Dash is certainly a symptom or the issue. Companies have absolutely identified they can force whatever kind of market they want if they throw enough VC money at it long enough while they wait for people to pay for it and accept it

Like no one asked for a loving grubhub and now its a major food service middleman that drives restaurant prices up even if you arent using them

This has always puzzled me. Is it just "give me convenience or give me death" or are consumers so uneducated they can easily be hoodwinked into spending so much cash on 'disruptive' ideas like food delivery and taxis? And I guess really those can only exist because the state of the economy forces people into bad gig jobs in the first place.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What do you mean "bad gig jobs"? It's making so much money! In fact all jobs should be gig jobs

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

A Strange Aeon posted:

This has always puzzled me. Is it just "give me convenience or give me death" or are consumers so uneducated they can easily be hoodwinked into spending so much cash on 'disruptive' ideas like food delivery and taxis? And I guess really those can only exist because the state of the economy forces people into bad gig jobs in the first place.

Look at the news. It says Home Owners = Investors, Students = Protesters =, Migrants = Killers on the border. Or whatever...

No one watches the news and sees or thinks ME.

Its all Other. You're fine, its these other people loving poo poo up.

"Workers will be hit by a 100% decrease in rear end"

Never considered myself a worker so Im fine.

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 12, 2022

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My car is 12 years old and each state inspection fills me with dread.

I guess that modest vacation to a beach within driving distance can wait another year...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It's nice having about 500 bux a month to spend on frivolous poo poo that does not make me happy or improve my constant feeling of dread about this being the rest of my life.

Real nice, let me tell ya.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Eagerly takes the SaaS survey in my work inbox so I can get a chance to win that $50 Panera gift card. All other emails remain unread

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Greg of Doom posted:

Look at the news. It says Home Owners = Investors, Students = Protesters =, Migrants = Killers on the border. Or whatever...

No one watches the news and sees or thinks ME.

Its all Other. You're fine, its these other people loving poo poo up.

"Workers will be hit by a 100% decrease in rear end"

Never considered myself a worker so Im fine.

But surely we're not some special class who recognizes that this occurs, so why is it we can recognize it and presumedly try to not succumb to this kind of thinking while so many 'others' can't or won't? Unless it's actually the case that everyone recognizes this but due to the very nature of othering, assumes nobody else does?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

A Strange Aeon posted:

But surely we're not some special class who recognizes that this occurs, so why is it we can recognize it and presumedly try to not succumb to this kind of thinking while so many 'others' can't or won't? Unless it's actually the case that everyone recognizes this but due to the very nature of othering, assumes nobody else does?

People either dont give a poo poo or they're in denial

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

move to victoria instead, trust me

i'd already be living there if not for other factors in my life :( my favourite place in canada

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

scott zoloft posted:

https://www.redfin.com/news/redfin-rental-report-december-2021/

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/housing/philadelphia-rising-rent-rental-assistance-20211223.html

I work at a real estate corp that owns 40some large middle class multifamily apartments across the US. Right now multifamily real estate is one of the highest sought after investments. Everyone is buying up as much as they can and raising rents. Our target has been to raise rents 17% each new lease

So it’s you. You’re the problem!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
$60k??? What did I do to deserve such a huge pay cut? I’m a peasant again!