Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Gentle Autist posted:

i had pretty good mexican food in san antonio, here’s a picture op

Chinatown posted:

i rate this food 6/10. also its on that riverwalk so its probably overpriced.

Those chips look sub-par and the salsa is probably served warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Texas is even worse than what is implied in that one episode of Spongebob

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Chinatown posted:

i rate this food 6/10. also its on that riverwalk so its probably overpriced.

my mexican friend rated it 8. no doubt it was overpriced and gimmicky. i enjoyed it tho

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i can get that at a food truck for $8

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

not many mexican food trucks in wellington nz tbh

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Any fun stories of oddities this produced?

there was that hurricane a few years ago. a bunch of people had built their homes in flood planes engineered by the army corps of engineers after previous floods, and then tried to sue the federal government for causing the flooding

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Gentle Autist posted:

not many mexican food trucks in wellington nz tbh

And that's why we don't even bother putting New Zealand on our maps.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Saw a guy today at the grocery store with this shirt:

This was in suburban Queensland which is arguably the most "Texas" place in the southern hemisphere.

Texas hate runs deep.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Any fun stories of oddities this produced?

A few

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

All the Texas transplants I've met won't shut the gently caress up about their Texas identity.

Treecko posted:

That's just bases in general I think. I was briefly married to some guy who joined right out of high-school, he flew me out to Fort Lejeune in NC and a centimeter of snow dared to fall. There was cars and SUVs in the ditch over it.

Camp lejeune is absolutely gross.

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 12, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I used to live at the apartments right next to that house in Midtown, nice older lady lived there IIRC, helped her with her trash cans a few times

That apartment complex was a nightmarish pain in the rear end, they would just leave railings falling apart, exit signs and lights would be shattered and trashed, dumpsters would never be emptied, trash rooms would look like the spare room of a hoarder, etc

Don't even get me started on the mail room fiasco - I had to take this panorama from the inside of it because management wouldn't believe me when I said we literally couldn't access our packages

When it came time to break our lease and escape back up to the northeast, they were going to charge us a ton of absolutely horse poo poo charges, until we got a hold of their regional manager and found out that they had never signed the lease agreement and they had no copy of our own agreement that we signed in-person

After going back and forth with the biggest dickhead property manager on earth, we get a two-sentence email from the regional manager along the lines of "we have looked over the charges. You have $0 balance due." lmfao, later suckers :flipoff:

loving rear end in a top hat Texan fucks, gently caress you guys, your hosed up security doors that could open by just pulling on them hard ended up getting my $500 bike stolen

The food in the area was great, though! Shout-out to Les Givral's, Yo-Yo's hot dog stand, the Maple Leaf Pub down the road, for all the annoying and bad poo poo there was plenty of cool stuff tucked away

Edit: also the walking/biking trails across the bayous absolutely loving ruled, if you could deal with the summer heat you had miles and miles of dedicated roads for jogging and riding bikes and some absolutely beautiful views of the city and the skyline, hats off to the city for doing a legitimately nice job with it for the most part

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 12, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

Saw a guy today at the grocery store with this shirt:

This was in suburban Queensland which is arguably the most "Texas" place in the southern hemisphere.

Texas hate runs deep.

As someone who had to live in suburban and rural QLD for a lot of their life, yeah it's so trash lol. Motherfuckers who emulate poo poo with ridiculous trucks, giant Australia flags, talk about hunting and guns and survivalism (while living comfortably in a house daddy bought them). And yet there's not many people I've met who have thought living in Texas would be a good thing. It's weird.

Personally I'm an inner city Brisbane motherfucker and I like it. Texan BBQ looks good, but I have great access to great examples of drat near every cuisine. Also healthcare and not worrying about being hatecrimed. That's good too.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

It's actually a shared joke between the rest of the states to let Texans think they were some kind of hard, rugged people and it kind of got out of hand.

The truth is that the only struggle for most Texans is charting out their day in the morning so they don't have to spend time without an AC for longer than thirty minutes.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Jimlit posted:

All the Texas transplants I've met won't shut the gently caress up about their Texas identity.

Yep. And even more annoyingly they find ways to shoehorn the name of the state into almost everything. I've never seen it so bad with any other state. It's "Oh you think this is good, back in Texas..." "As a Texan..."

I even jokingly have a unit of measurement TPMs = 'Texas per minutes' because you can be sure if you're talking to one of them the word will show up in conversation numerous times.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Snyderman posted:

Yep. And even more annoyingly they find ways to shoehorn the name of the state into almost everything. I've never seen it so bad with any other state. It's "Oh you think this is good, back in Texas..." "As a Texan..."

I even jokingly have a unit of measurement TPMs = 'Texas per minutes' because you can be sure if you're talking to one of them the word will show up in conversation numerous times.

As a Texan I find this to be quite preposterous. In this 10 part video essay, I will...

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I find it bizarre that the jingle for Dairy Queen is "That's what I like about Texas", which isn't catchy or clever or really anything special

Perfect for the state, I guess

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Poohs Packin posted:

ive only been there a couple times, but brisbane and qld in general reminded me a lot more of florida than texas

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
More like Tex-rear end if you ask me!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Earwicker posted:

ive only been there a couple times, but brisbane and qld in general reminded me a lot more of florida than texas

You might say it's a land of contrasts

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

More like Tex-rear end if you ask me!

My in-laws used to call it that until I started calling their home state Chode Island.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol at someone from New England caring about what other states think about them

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Good soup! posted:

lol at someone from New England caring about what other states think about them

Rhode Island is a corrupt shithole but it’s still better than Texas.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

There are no positive qualities regarding Texas.

We need to build a wall that's water tight around the entire state and turn it into a waste disposal dump.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I drove through Texas during a road trip and tried some BBQ because everyone says it's so good, it was salty as gently caress and sucked copious amounts of cock, the BBQ I had in St. Louis was loads better.

Did some really cool escape rooms though.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Beyond ReTarTed. posted:

The Lone Star State

It's called that because of its Yelp reviews, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Rhode Island is a corrupt shithole but it’s still better than Texas.

As a very recent transplant to the Providence area, yeah it's both an absolute loving mess but also a cool place with beautiful areas

Way happier here than I ever was in Texas, no disrespect to the many lifelong friends I made there lol

Edit: also the best bbq I ever had in Texas was from Fitties, which is an actual shack outside of Austin and it was out of this fuckin world good