Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think he has been convicted of rape. So are we being pedantic, or not believing women when our politics lines up with doing so.

which is more pedantic, facts or the justice system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think he has been convicted of rape. So are we being pedantic, or not believing women when our politics lines up with doing so.

Unless words have lost all meaning, "accused of" and "convicted of" mean very different things. I think that Donald Trump has raped women, but he hasn't been convicted of doing so. I think the same thing about Julian Assange and Joe Biden. I would not post that Donald Trump, Julian Assange, or Joe Biden have been convicted of raping women, but I think it's very fair to post that all three have been credibly accused of doing so.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I just want to clarify.

Do we think Assange is a rapist or not?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

I just want to clarify.

I have no idea. I know he was accused of it, and I know he should be put on trial for it, and I know the US has made that impossible. But claiming he's been convicted of it as part of your evidence for why he's a bad guy is extremely suspect. Words have meanings, you can't just go around lying and then be like "well do you think he's a bad guy or not???" that's loving weaselly as hell, dude.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I just want to clarify.

Could you quote or name the people whom you are asking this question?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

UnknownMercenary posted:

Even after how much the cops lied about their response, I'm shocked by this. Bunch of useless LARPers.

https://twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1539005390108622849

The cop who was in charge and who said he intentionally didn't bring a radio, etc. That Uvalde PD guy who told everyone to hold back for an hour until some cops for some other jurisdiction finally got fed up and went in, I'm surprised he is still alive.

I am not saying anything terrible should happen to him or that he should kill himself, but I'm geniuinely surprised we hadn't heard a story by now about how he met some unexpected end. If it were me, at the very least I would be in a constant drunken stupor, at home missing work, in an attempt to keep the overwhelming despair and self-hatred at bay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

some plague rats posted:

I have no idea. I know he was accused of it, and I know he should be put on trial for it, and I know the US has made that impossible. But claiming he's been convicted of it as part of your evidence for why he's a bad guy is extremely suspect. Words have meanings, you can't just go around lying and then be like "well do you think he's a bad guy or not???" that's loving weaselly as hell, dude.

"He hasn't been convicted" is weaselly as hell because a bunch of people got poo poo on from a high altitude in the Tara Reade thread for less. And you know that.

I think that Trump, Biden and Assange are all rapists and none of them are convicted. And if someone came into the Tara Reade thread and said "I don't know whether he is or not but words have meanings and he's never been convicted but have you considered the political angle" they'd be poo poo on, and rightly so, and it applies here too.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

"He hasn't been convicted" is weaselly as hell because a bunch of people got poo poo on from a high altitude in the Tara Reade thread for less. And you know that.

I think that Trump, Biden and Assange are all rapists and none of them are convicted. And if someone came into the Tara Reade thread and said "I don't know whether he is or not but words have meanings and he's never been convicted but have you considered the political angle" they'd be poo poo on, and rightly so, and it applies here too.

Did anyone in the Tara reade thread say outright that Joe Biden has been convicted of rape. Did you miss how this started.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

B B posted:

Could you quote or name the people whom you are asking this question?

some plague rats
mastershakeman
B B

some plague rats posted:

Did anyone in the Tara reade thread say outright that Joe Biden has been convicted of rape. Did you miss how this started.

I did not miss how it started, that's why I asked for clarification if people were just being pedantic about whether or not a rapist was convicted(he is not, but that's true of a bunch of prominent rapists), or if this was a concern troll by people who also did not think he was a rapist.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

haveblue posted:

Just turn golf courses into public parks. You wouldn't even need to redevelop them, just knock down all the fences

America stands as a stark contrast to Europe, because the US has a huge amount of public, tax-supported golf courses that require no membership to play on, and the USGA sponsors a gently caress ton of kids golf camps for random rear end low income kids. That's essentially Not A Thing in Europe, where golf is tied to membership and club stock, and patronage. You can already take your kids to a Municipal Course, and poke around for free or low cost opportunities to both learn and play.

Now the big exclusive private courses on the other hand, nationalize or raze.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 21, 2022

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

some plague rats
mastershakeman
B B

I did not miss how it started, that's why I asked for clarification if people were just being pedantic about whether or not a rapist was convicted(he is not, but that's true of a bunch of prominent rapists), or if this was a concern troll by people who also did not think he was a rapist.

B B posted:

Unless words have lost all meaning, "accused of" and "convicted of" mean very different things. I think that Donald Trump has raped women, but he hasn't been convicted of doing so. I think the same thing about Julian Assange and Joe Biden. I would not post that Donald Trump, Julian Assange, or Joe Biden have been convicted of raping women, but I think it's very fair to post that all three have been credibly accused of doing so.

I already said that I think that the accusations against Julian Assange, Joe Biden, and Donald Trump are credible but that none of them have been legally convicted, which seems to mirror your own position:

Jaxyon posted:

Please feel free to let me know how I can make my stance more clear to you.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Jaxyon posted:

You still need to precise with your wording, and when you're corrected, acknowledge it fully.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

some plague rats posted:

What's your specific issue with Assange?

He's a rapist and a throughput for Russian propaganda

selec
Sep 6, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

He's a rapist and a throughput for Russian propaganda

That’s just bizarro Matt Lauer. The US is going after Assange because he published true things about them that they had no ability to stop. It sucks!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Koos Group posted:

You still need to precise with your wording, and when you're corrected, acknowledge it fully.

They're not the one that said it. They are pointing out, rightly, that the mistake made by LT was immaterial to the overall point.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

Jarmak posted:

They're not the one that said it. They are pointing out, rightly, that the mistake made by LT was immaterial to the overall point.

... whoops.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Koos Group posted:

I agree, and that's why I asked for clarification, based on how I've treated similar takes be responded to in other sexual assault contexts. It felt like, while not being the exact same as, coming to a Joe Biden conversation with "rapist? I don't see him ever being found guilty of that" which is technically true but contextually gross.

B B posted:

Please feel free to let me know how I can make my stance more clear to you.

You're good, we're on the same page.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

selec posted:

That’s just bizarro Matt Lauer. The US is going after Assange because he published true things about them that they had no ability to stop. It sucks!
Correct; this case has nothing to do with the sexual assault or rape allegations. This is reprisal for the early Wikileaks stuff that actually embarrassed the government.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I would like to draw some of your attention to what Larry Summers said after meeting with Joe biden.
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1539012452905627650?t=phkTrMWn4QbyuEZsmZhFag&s=19

The new york fed put out a new gdp forecast and it now says 2022 and 2023 will have negative gdp growth.
https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2022/06/the-new-york-fed-dsge-model-forecast-june-2022/

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I agree, and that's why I asked for clarification, based on how I've treated similar takes be responded to in other sexual assault contexts. It felt like, while not being the exact same as, coming to a Joe Biden conversation with "rapist? I don't see him ever being found guilty of that" which is technically true but contextually gross.

You're good, we're on the same page.

There's a difference between responding to "he's a rapist" with "he's never been convicted" vs responding to "he's been convicted of rape" with "no he hasn't" when the latter is an actual provable lie. If someone described Biden as a convicted rapist, that would be a lie too regardless of him having raped Tara Reade. This is a very weird thing to read apologia into, given the post and the poster you are defending

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

There's a difference between responding to "he's a rapist" with "he's never been convicted" vs responding to "he's been convicted of rape" with "no he hasn't" when the latter is an actual provable lie. If someone described Biden as a convicted rapist, that would be a lie too regardless of him having raped Tara Reade. This is a very weird thing to read apologia into, given the post and the poster you are defending

Not really that weird, but whatever. I'm not really concerned about "bad faith smears" of Assange, who is a piece of poo poo predator.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just in time for summer, it is the new thread! I would suggest the current conversation should be dropped when you move there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW_MJRscgHE