Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:siren:UNLESS SOMETHING CHANGES, THERE IS NO INDICATION OF US MILITARY INTERVENTION IN UKRAINE. DO NOT SPREAD RUMORS ABOUT IT UNLESS IT COMES FROM AN OFFICIAL US SOURCE:siren:

Welcome to the new CE thread. It is just like the same CE thread, except better, because I made it.

If United States news topics get too big for this thread, we will tell people to spin it off into its old thread, much like people being afraid of global thermonuclear war here: :supaburn: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3995624

And another warning: if conversations end up going in circles for endless days we will start probating people based on the "being boring" rule. For example, if someone tries to take the wheel back to endless 2020 primary chat, they will be asked to make a new thread for it. I would suggest for that thread title "2020 primaries: Bloomberg Buddies" or "2020 Primaries: suck poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat with a straw".

Some recent news events to get people in the mood:

Don OldYoung, the longest serving Congressperson, died a couple days ago. He sucked.

quote:

At an assembly at Fairbanks' West Valley High School in 1995, Young was answering questions about cutting federal funding for the arts. He said that such funding had "photographs of people doing offensive things," and "things that are absolutely ridiculous." When asked for an example, Young quickly replied "buttfucking",

Clarence Thomas is not dead, but is the hospital for flu-like symptoms: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/20/us/politics/clarence-thomas-hospitalized.html

Here is an interesting article from The Economist about how America's prison system is getting even worse: https://www.economist.com/united-states/2022/03/19/americas-prison-system-is-becoming-more-inhumane

quote:

According to data from the Department of Justice, in 2018 the number of deaths in state prisons hit the highest level since recording started in 2001. Though illness accounted for the vast majority, homicides and suicides also set records. Preliminary data for 2020 show deaths in state and federal prisons increased by 46% over 2019—unsurprisingly, given how fast covid spread inside. Violence may well have increased too, but it is hard to tell, because state departments of corrections often do not release information about it (local jails, which are usually reserved for suspects awaiting trial, are even worse). So evidence is patchy. A single jail in St Louis had four riots last year, as prisoners protested about delays to their court hearings.

Joe Biden is heading to Poland: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/20/biden-to-visit-poland-this-week-00018792

Link to the old thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am surprised that prisons did not descend into anarcho-primitivism during COVID, though if they had it wouldn't have been reported.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
No Let's Go Brandon or FJB shirts seen at Disneyland today. That's progress!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i don't think panic is quite the right word for the 2022 midterms, "grim acceptance" might be more apt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yinlock posted:

i don't think panic is quite the right word for the 2022 midterms, "grim acceptance" might be more apt

More lining up their favourite scapegoats.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

More lining up their favourite scapegoats.

Eagerly awaiting yet another internal memo that has decided that the fault lies with the party going too far left and that it's time to get more racist to pick up the vital and very existing swing voters.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Eagerly awaiting yet another internal memo that has decided that the fault lies with the party going too far left and that it's time to get more racist to pick up the vital and very existing swing voters.

It might not be as explicit "Those people aiming guns at black people were only protecting their homes! I'd do the same!" but more about funding the police. Police that will never vote for them or like them no matter how much money and protection they throw that way.

Just ask Lori Lightfoot.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Good rule about the war rumors but lol at trusting "official American sources" for anything beyond whether the sun arose today. :wink:

VorpalBunny posted:

Who needs t-shirts when Brandon's ratings look like this?

Not even bipartisan furriner-hate & bloodlust have been ratings boons, and those are American traditions.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 21, 2022

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

I saw entire families wearing LGB T-shirts when I made the mistake of visiting Gatlinburg last week. I figure it's cuz every other store there there sells them, but yikes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bookmark this; you'll need it every time someone blames the lack of legislation on co-Presidents Manchin & Sinema (or other rotating villains): a 7-page list of executive actions Biden could make all by his lonesome, compiled by the Congressional Progressive Caucus & submitted to the White House.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

turnip kid posted:

I saw entire families wearing LGB T-shirts when I made the mistake of visiting Gatlinburg last week. I figure it's cuz every other store there there sells them, but yikes.

I read that as "LGBT shirts" at first and was very confused

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

turnip kid posted:

Hoping it's a pun like they're LGBT-shirts

E: lol I see I wasn't the only one

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

GoutPatrol posted:

And another warning: if conversations end up going in circles for endless days we will start probating people based on the "being boring" rule. For example, if someone tries to take the wheel back to endless 2020 primary chat, they will be asked to make a new thread for it. I would suggest for that thread title "2020 primaries: Bloomberg Buddies" or "2020 Primaries: suck poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat with a straw".

Just to echo this, we'd like to enforce the D&D rules about low-content/white-noise posting and "being boring" a little more tightly for this iteration of thread. If you're posting something that is very well-trodden territory for this thread and forum or is simply a catchprase or cliche, you might catch a probe (most likely a warning first). Similarly if you're white noise posting you may get a time out.

In general, please stick to the general forums rule of posts that are "interesting, informative, or funny" with the added D&D qualifier of "contributing something new and furthering thread discussion."

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Riptor posted:

I read that as "LGBT shirts" at first and was very confused

Well, I did see some of those on the employees @ the Ben & Jerry's somewhere in town. That was the only oasis of hope in Gatlinburg, an ice cream chain. Hope they survive these hard times.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Dems won the Senate because of Georgia, though? And those candidates ran fairly milquetoast center-left campaigns? So like, swing voters are real and were actually very important.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Georgia Dems ran & won based on "elect a Dem Senate & we'll give you $2000, a higher minimum wage, lowered Medicare age and student-debt relief," none of which happened once they were elected.

eta: Not sure if referencing the long-ago electoral history of 15 months ago is against the thread rules, but it seems relevant to discussing current events (rather, lack thereof). Let me know if I need to edit it.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 21, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Fritz the Horse posted:

Just to echo this, we'd like to enforce the D&D rules about low-content/white-noise posting and "being boring" a little more tightly for this iteration of thread. If you're posting something that is very well-trodden territory for this thread and forum or is simply a catchprase or cliche, you might catch a probe (most likely a warning first). Similarly if you're white noise posting you may get a time out.

In general, please stick to the general forums rule of posts that are "interesting, informative, or funny" with the added D&D qualifier of "contributing something new and furthering thread discussion."

Thank you for posting this guidance here. I know the mods get a lot of flak in this thread but it's good to see that there's some strategy and intent involved with this iteration. It's good advice and also good forum governance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

The Georgia Dems ran & won based on "elect a Dem Senate & we'll give you $2000, a higher minimum wage, lowered Medicare age and student-debt relief," none of which happened once they were elected.

Lie of the year right here, how could you forget that $1400=$2000,

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Willa Rogers posted:

eta: Not sure if referencing the long-ago electoral history of 15 months ago is against the thread rules, but it seems relevant to discussing current events (rather, lack thereof). Let me know if I need to edit it.

The "don't be boring / repetitive etc" rule is enforced pretty leniently if that's what you're referencing. We're not going to probe people on sight for posting about something that's been discussed at length previously, it's more to head off longer derails. Relitigating the 2020 primaries is a good example. Unless there's some new information or insights posters have to share, it's been covered quite thoroughly on these forums.

2020 primary discussion is not a banned topic. There are no banned topics. Just make sure if you're going to revisit well-trodden subjects that you're contributing something new and encouraging thread discussion.

Anyone is welcome to make new threads, of course, and we can sticky them for a couple weeks if that's helpful. If you want to start a thread retrospectively analyzing the 2020 primaries or whatever, go for it.

(I use the 2020 primaries here because it's a good clear example, not because it's #1 priority for moderation or whatever)

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 21, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1505910876796329996

So do we need to trick Jen Psaki into sassing another reporter before we can get the federal government to send people some aid or what

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

VitalSigns posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1505910876796329996

So do we need to trick Jen Psaki into sassing another reporter before we can get the federal government to send people some aid or what

"We can't send people relief because it might be stolen from the mailbox." is the laziest justification for austerity I've ever heard. They're not even bothering to hide that they don't give a poo poo that they caused a gas panic and drove up the price of nearly every product. At this rate they'll be lucky if they only lose the midterms in a landslide instead of triggering an insurrection.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

The "don't be boring / repetitive etc" rule is enforced pretty leniently if that's what you're referencing. We're not going to probe people on sight for posting about something that's been discussed at length previously, it's more to head off longer derails. Relitigating the 2020 primaries is a good example. Unless there's some new information or insights posters have to share, it's been covered quite thoroughly on these forums.

2020 primary discussion is not a banned topic. There are no banned topics. Just make sure if you're going to revisit well-trodden subjects that you're contributing something new and encouraging thread discussion.

Anyone is welcome to make new threads, of course, and we can sticky them for a couple weeks if that's helpful. If you want to start a thread retrospectively analyzing the 2020 primaries or whatever, go for it.

(I use the 2020 primaries here because it's a good clear example, not because it's #1 priority for moderation or whatever)

Far be it from me to criticize the mods outside of the next promised feedback thread but it seems like this same kind of policy could be abused to say that discussing Russia/Ukraine tensions isn't new or exciting because Russia has been making nationalist, imperialist claims of ownership of Ukraine since well before, say, the 2020 primaries. Attempting to divorce the material reality of today from historical context seems to me to be a road to ruin and completely bonkers ahistorical takes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Since apparently the only part important about the last time I mentioned this seemed to be specifically which tool the CBP was oppressing minorities with:

Reminder that the US refugee policy is about as openly racist as it can be without outright doing the Family Guy color card

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bishyaler posted:

At this rate they'll be lucky if they only lose the midterms in a landslide instead of triggering an insurrection.

They can do both.

When the dems rightfully get destroyed next year, the insurrectionists will cite it as proof that getting rid of all the voter fraud was the reason and double down on it. When the pendulum swings back the other way in 4 or 6 years to give the democrats another shot at doing nothing and elections get close again or start going blue, it'll be more "voter fraud!" and take america back poo poo.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bishyaler posted:

"We can't send people relief because it might be stolen from the mailbox." is the laziest justification for austerity I've ever heard. They're not even bothering to hide that they don't give a poo poo that they caused a gas panic and drove up the price of nearly every product. At this rate they'll be lucky if they only lose the midterms in a landslide instead of triggering an insurrection.

I can't believe Joe Biden moved the "gas prices" lever to "high", he must be a real dumbass.

(No Bishyaler, the president does not control gas prices, even when he's a lib.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here's the actual article, once again actually tracking the claim back to its source is more accurate than a mediating gloss.

quote:

The White House considered giving Americans gas cards to help offset high prices, but faced strong opposition from congressional committees, which questioned the plan's viability and effectiveness.

Why it matters: The Biden administration is feeling political pressure from high energy costs, made worse by Western sanctions against Russia, and Democrats desperately want to offer some kind of policy response.

What we're watching: The White House this week considered having the IRS send gas cards to Americans — a short-lived idea that some key House Democrats vehemently opposed.

The idea came up as part of a broader package to address gas prices, which is still in its early stages, a senior Democratic aide told Axios.
A House Democratic counsel on Wednesday laid out for the White House a list of reasons why gas cards would be a bad idea, including:
  • It would be expensive and poorly targeted.
  • It could worsen inflation and wouldn't do much to lower costs.
  • Delivering the cards would be a slow process that could bog down the IRS in the middle of the filing season, potentially delaying people's tax returns.
What they're saying: “There’s a variety of ideas being discussed to ensure that the costs American families are feeling at the pump are as minimal as possible," White House spokesperson Vedant Patel told Axios.

"However, gas cards being sent to the American people is not seriously under consideration. It is not an administratively feasible solution and the Biden administration is not considering this as a serious option to help American families," Patel said.

Even the CNN background source doesn't just say the issue is theft from mailboxes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

It also ignores the fact that they *have* given people money several times over the past few years in a way that mostly worked fine (there were hiccups but overall it went fairly well and was an extremely popular action!), yet somehow that's too complicated this time around?

(Of course the obvious solution is to just send people cold hard cash into their accounts instead of making it more complicated with cards)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the actual article, once again actually tracking the claim back to its source is more accurate than a mediating gloss.

Even the CNN background source doesn't just say the issue is theft from mailboxes.

When, exactly, is it OK to cite the source rather than a mediator? I seem to remember you spending an awful lot of time breathlessly posting that sources don't matter, only mediators do and writing anyone off trying to go source-direct rather than rely on mediators as being bad faith actors/abusers/trolls.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

I can't believe Joe Biden moved the "gas prices" lever to "high", he must be a real dumbass.

(No Bishyaler, the president does not control gas prices, even when he's a lib.)

"We're banning Russian oil" provides a fantastic cover for price gouging which can and is happening. And then the Biden administration does the political equivalent of "Thoughts and Prayers", but if they were too lazy to actually finish saying the phrase, mumbled and shrugged instead.

But its great to know that Ukrainian nazis will get relief even though it might be stolen from their mailbox.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's really mind-blowing to me that the IRS stopped sending $300/child a month to millions and millions and millions of families, many of whom have multiple children, and we've heard basically no kvetching about it or really been able to suss out any effect on Biden's approval ratings. But an increase of gas prices that equals (annually) roughly half of the CTC payments for a single child is making the country melt down and making even some of our finest goon "environmentalists" say that "something" has to be done (there's only one thing to do and it's bad.)

e:

Srice posted:

It also ignores the fact that they *have* given people money several times over the past few years in a way that mostly worked fine (there were hiccups but overall it went fairly well and was an extremely popular action!), yet somehow that's too complicated this time around?

(Of course the obvious solution is to just send people cold hard cash into their accounts instead of making it more complicated with cards)
Yeah, direct stimulus payments would be a better solution and not leave out people who have already taken the responsible steps of driving an electric car or not driving at all, which could cause resentment.

Unfortunately as long as the CPI is high sending out direct payments probably won't be too popular (which, like the CTC thing, says a lot about how broken our nation's psychology is on economics.) Maybe it would go over better than I think, though, and it's the right thing to do. Maybe they'll revisit the idea when the IRS's busy season dies down.

\/\/\/\/ not sure how any of this is an actual response to my post...

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 21, 2022

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

It's really mind-blowing to me that the IRS stopped sending $300/child a month to millions and millions and millions of families, many of whom have multiple children, and we've heard basically no kvetching about it or really been able to suss out any effect on Biden's approval ratings. But an increase of gas prices that equals (annually) roughly half of the CTC payments for a single child is making the country melt down and making even some of our finest goon "environmentalists" say that "something" has to be done (there's only one thing to do and it's bad.)

It's almost like we're tacitly an authoritarian one party state that doesn't object to austerity and brutality so long as it's the right kind of guy implementing it, or something.

Hey wasn't Joe Biden supposed to be the most progressive president in history? Still waiting on that.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, direct stimulus payments would be a better solution and not leave out people who have already taken the responsible steps of driving an electric car or not driving at all, which could cause resentment.

Didn't know Pete Buttigieg posted here

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

Okay I know I just aggro-shitposted at Mellow Seas but you can't just accuse a guy of being Mayo Pete like this

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lib and let die posted:

When, exactly, is it OK to cite the source rather than a mediator? I seem to remember you spending an awful lot of time breathlessly posting that sources don't matter, only mediators do and writing anyone off trying to go source-direct rather than rely on mediators as being bad faith actors/abusers/trolls.

You don't get to ignore either, which I think you know. Posting a tweet link and a snarky one-liner about it that doesn't address any part of its contents is already considered insufficient. I've documented how the root source provides more specific information, and that Bishyaler's post is already misrepresenting even the CNN story.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bishyaler posted:

paranoid randroid posted:

Okay I know I just aggro-shitposted at Mellow Seas but you can't just accuse a guy of being Mayo Pete like this

Could you two either debate and discuss or knock off the passive aggressive routines? Thanks

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A very significant percentage of the population believes that the direct cash payments are directly responsible for the current inflation problem.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Discendo Vox posted:

The CNN article sure has it.

"The Biden administration is worried that gas cards won't work because of execution issues and fraud concerns. In the past, cards have been stolen from mailboxes, a source familiar with the administration's thinking told CNN, adding that they are studying the pros and cons of various proposals."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bishyaler posted:

"The Biden administration is worried that gas cards won't work because of execution issues and fraud concerns. In the past, cards have been stolen from mailboxes, a source familiar with the administration's thinking told CNN, adding that they are studying the pros and cons of various proposals."

Then just send us cash

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

There is also the problem of the underbanked, who probably most need the rebate, but I am not sure how the underbanked got their stimulus checks.

Unless those got stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bishyaler posted:

Even your own quote states there are "execution issues and fraud concerns". This is in fact a problem with these stimulus payment programs, and was a programmatic concern with the last several rounds. The root article from Axios identifies that it was one of several actions considered during the ongoing development of a larger response package.