Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Did anyone make the joke yet about how Americans could probably benefit from some food shortages because they are so fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

PITY BONER posted:

Did anyone make the joke yet about how Americans could probably benefit from some food shortages because they are so fat?

I just ate a 1lb bunker buster burger with triple bacon, chili cheese and queso drizzle. What's that about fat?

naem
May 29, 2011

SAY YOHO posted:

It's me, the guy who has bought 25 pound bags of beans, rice, and lentils. A few bags of dried chilis helps. Spices are getting stupid expensive though. 6 dollars for bottle of dried basil? It's a god damned leaf and not a hard one to grow at that.

I have several airtight plastic bins with 5 pounds bags of rice beans pasta etc in each along with canned food

giving some thought to food and “what if the power went out how would I heat/cook/get potable water etc” is in no way foolish

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

There are going to be issues with wheat production in the near future. Russia and Ukraine both produce a bunch of the world's wheat, and China, which was attempting to produce all of their wheat in country, has announced that their winter wheat crops were "the worst in history." Great news for people invested in wheat futures, crappy news for those of us who can't afford investments.

What this means is anything that uses wheat is about to get a lot more expensive. And you'd be surprised at what uses wheat. Spices use wheat as fillers, as do those cheap burger patties and hot dogs. Gravies and sauces use wheat as a thickening agent. Anything breaded, cereals, pastas... All of that is going to increase in price.

Buying flour and repackaging it for storage isn't a bad idea. I have 2 big bags that I need to do that to. We also bought 25 lbs of rice for the same purpose.

Other things to consider, if Russia does increase the level of cyberattacks, that can lead to internet disruptions, so make sure you have a supply of entertainment that doesn't rely on the internet. The new consoles with only internet based gaming may become an issue, so dig out your old consoles and favorite games an make sure they work! (Hello again, PS2.) Also, keep a supply of board and card games on hand, as well as physical or downloaded copies of books.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
not only wheat shortages but also fertilizer shortages, restrictions on potash exports from china and russia, and high natural gas prices driving up the cost of ammonia. yields will be lower across the board

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mozi posted:

not only wheat shortages but also fertilizer shortages, restrictions on potash exports from china and russia, and high natural gas prices driving up the cost of ammonia. yields will be lower across the board

Ive got somw fertilizer.... in my pants :grin:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
russia is also the worlds largest producer of ammonium nitrate, ukraine is second. prc tried to get big in it until they literally blew up tianjin the other year doing so. so that fertilizer shortafe will gently caress over other crops and next years crops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
anfo is also the default mining explosive, so there you have the tendrils snaking to any and all commodities