Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

my dad called me today to ask if I could figure out where some OTC medical stuff was for him. I sent him a giant crate of it because he uses it frequently and he'll probably turn into a psychotic abusive when he gets stressed again within the next six months. This is about a year's worth so I figure he'll have it on hand until his brain straightens out again.

I haven't seen my parents on my birthday since I turned 22 so maybe consider telling her to go gently caress herself next year, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I only ever see your mum on her birthday op

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Who What Now posted:

I used to think it wasnt that easy. Turns out it is!

yep, i went through this in the past two years with my parents. turns out that just walking out of their house and driving home when they can't stop saying racist or homophobic poo poo really does work. also hanging up on them or blocking their texts/emails for a couple months if they don't respect boundaries.

they are much better behaved now after i started setting limits, because it turns out that they want attention from their kids more than they want to talk about covid conspiracies or complain that gay people are allowed to be out of the closet these days. (i'm sure they still talk about those things with anyone who is forced to listen to them, but i have successfully extracted myself from that camp.)

also, it's usually my dad that can't help but spout off about the last thing he saw on tucker, and now my mom will get mad at him and try to shut him down because she knows i might just walk out if he doesn't stop. i feel a little uncomfortable about inadvertently playing them against each other, but also it's pretty effective.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Leave one of your nasty tar shits on her placemat OP

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Your piece of mind is the most important thing so do whatever you have to. Don't answer calls, say you're ill, whatever. Boundaries. The nasty poop might help but I can't confirm.

Good luck, happy birthday and may your next year be better. You got this.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gotdam hes right

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Just do what I did and move to another country. Works every time.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It is said that you can choose your friends but not your family but has it ever been scientifically proven? I bet you could choose better parents if you really really tried.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah just get adopted, there's no age limit to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

ellasmith posted:

it's not that easy

It is, you put up with your garbage family only if they're feeding you or keeping a roof over your head. Afterwards you make like a skeleton and gently caress off.