Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
as usual, she was being obnoxious and verbally abusing my stepdad. i made an excuse to leave after dinner was over. i'm hitting this horrible impasse where like i feel guilty about not seeing her more yet feel obligated to on special occasions. so, my birthday and every holiday have become horrible occasions that i dread every year. sorry for the e/n post but i enjoy the casualness of gbs more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:ok:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If your family isn't screaming at each other and saying passive aggressive poo poo 24/7 are they even real family? You can't have a good decade+ marriage without absolute misery and desperation.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

it's not that easy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's never too late to say "gently caress off" to your fam, you're an adult and hopefully not financially tied to them

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

ellasmith posted:

as usual, she was being obnoxious and verbally abusing my stepdad. i made an excuse to leave after dinner was over. i'm hitting this horrible impasse where like i feel guilty about not seeing her more yet feel obligated to on special occasions. so, my birthday and every holiday have become horrible occasions that i dread every year. sorry for the e/n post but i enjoy the casualness of gbs more.

that sucks dude. I went out to dinner for my sister's birthday last night with my mother and grandmother and had a really good time.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's never too late to say "gently caress off" to your fam, you're an adult and hopefully not financially tied to them

nah i support myself completely.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
I've had a much different experience when visiting your mom OP

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
A lot of people have problems with this. Families are mostly not perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnSiJOOdo30

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

ellasmith posted:

nah i support myself completely.

then why bother with them if they just hurt you?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

ellasmith posted:

it's not that easy

then use a wheelchair

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

ellasmith posted:

it's not that easy

sorry dude I thought we were being glib. I'll take a backseat for now and get a feel for the vibe of the thread before I drop more "content"

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

ellasmith posted:

If your family was worth a drat you'd know it. If your family is lovely and makes you feel bad, don't hang out with them.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

then why bother with them if they just hurt you?

i'm mostly concerned with what the rest of my family would think if i just blew her off.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
happy b day op

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

Uncle Enzo posted:

If your family was worth a drat you'd know it. If your family is lovely and makes you feel bad, don't hang out with them.

100% this. A lot of my familily is pretty bad, but, they will at least try to make you feel welcome.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

ante posted:

happy b day op

thanks

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

ellasmith posted:

i'm mostly concerned with what the rest of my family would think if i just blew her off.

do you want or need something from them? Does the rest of your family make you feel welcome, and they would get mad at you for it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost
Happy birthday, ellasmith. I hope you can figure this family poo poo out

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Sorry your mom sucks OP.

I got an awesome mom, but I got the bad brains as a trade-off, I guess?

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

do you want or need something from them? Does the rest of your family make you feel welcome, and they would get mad at you for it?

i think my dad would understand. idk about my brother and his wife and their kid and i love them so much. they are really good people.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Kill her and turn her into an award winning chili for the annual chili contest in your home town, OP

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I volunteer to work holidays to avoid this kind of situation. I get paid extra and only have to deal with annoying people I don't know instead.

Oh whoops sorry can't come to Thanksgiving I have a 13 hour shift that day...

I mean you really could just say no...but I get that it's not always that simple.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Just call her out on her poo poo if you like the rest of the family

Mom shut the gently caress up you're being rude

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

Treecko posted:

I volunteer to work holidays to avoid this kind of situation. I get paid extra and only have to deal with annoying people I don't know instead.

Oh whoops sorry can't come to Thanksgiving I have a 13 hour shift that day...

I mean you really could just say no...but I get that it's not always that simple.

holy hell this is a good idea lol

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost
You should probably talk to your mom about being an rear end in a top hat when she came to see you on your birthday.
I ain't a therapist but this may be a problem

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Every time i walk into any weed store, i think of this exact image and wonder "it this is? is this the too fancy weed store?"

And its not, every time. Its the same grubby weird blacked out window storefront in an out of the way shopping mall with lovely parking, like every weed store I've ever seen.

I want to know - what exactly IS too fancy of a weed store?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

tell her she was adopted and you're returning her

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

ellasmith posted:

i made an excuse to leave after dinner was over.

Wow your giant balls are crushing me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Literally just call her out on it. This weird poo poo that family is of the utmost importance and you owe them and poo poo is dumb. They're people. They hosed and birthed you, and raised you, which they're kind of socially obligated to. They didn't do anything special.

If you're a fuckhead you're a fuckhead. People don't get a pass to abuse you or others because they're family. Oh no, the person who is abusive doesn't want to talk to me what ever shall I do?

Family interactions are about winning. And you didn't win. You lost. Hard.

the 1st amendment
Mar 10, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wait you drive your own car and own your own house?

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

the 1st amendment posted:

wait you drive your own car and own your own house?

Car, yes. House im working on it.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like your life is a pile of poo poo. Thanks for spilling.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Vampire Panties posted:

Every time i walk into any weed store, i think of this exact image and wonder "it this is? is this the too fancy weed store?"

And its not, every time. Its the same grubby weird blacked out window storefront in an out of the way shopping mall with lovely parking, like every weed store I've ever seen.

I want to know - what exactly IS too fancy of a weed store?

There’s a pot store near me that has, among other things, a glass floor with a zen sand garden underneath it

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ziv Zulander posted:

There’s a pot store near me that has, among other things, a glass floor with a zen sand garden underneath it

Can you tide a wave away?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ellasmith posted:

it's not that easy

I used to think it wasnt that easy. Turns out it is!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I love my family; they are v. nice people. (:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you don't necessarily need to tell them to gently caress off but at least you can clearly and directly express how you feel about the situation, if you haven't already

i'm sorry to hear of your troubles, my friend's mom is also insane (not literally but that would at least be an excuse) and it sucks because nobody deserves that