Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Color?
Yellow
Red
Green
Blue
Black
White
View Results

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there like a chart that ties everything together, like the corkboard of a conspiracy theorist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Does this legitimately play bad or is it like Elden Ring bad where people swore the experience was ruined and it was fine?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

^burtle posted:

Does this legitimately play bad or is it like Elden Ring bad where people swore the experience was ruined and it was fine?

Im on switch and tbh i havent noticed anything weird. Ive heard ps4 players say they didnt get the day one patch switch user got tho

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

^burtle posted:

It’s the latter. Turn based RPG that didn’t run well to begin with now runs marginally worse with the new graphics options enabled. There’s no gameplay elements that demand reflexes or steady framerate. It’s just people being dramatic imo. I’m sure the steam version has been modded by now if it’s that big of a deal.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Appreciate it, likely grabbing this on Switch.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's not really "bad" so much as "wow, they really did the bare loving minimum on this remaster."

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

It's pretty much just a port. With higher quality portraits, and Radical Dreamers, that's about it. I would loved some more effort put into it, better and more carefully upscaled background and FMVs rather than just quick AI work. Take some time to make the game run at 60fps or at least 30fps would be nice, too.

Still, I love the game and I'm enjoying the PC version just fine. It's easily moddable which is cool.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 21, 2022

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

it plays exactly like it did on the ps1, which i think is kind of a shame but i still think it's the best way to play it. resolution's higher and ui elements/text has been updated without losing any of the original charm so it's a little less crusty but otherwise it runs like a ps1 game

i played through it on my switch for the first time and loved the game to bits.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I've always wondered how much truth there is to the rumor that CC began as a stand-alone game, and the links to Chrono Trigger were shoehorned in at a mid-late development stage. I'm a quite firm believer, but has anyone "in the know" ever confirmed or denied it?

Excellent thread tag choice btw :discourse:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's kind of just how Square worked at the time. They had a lot of different projects they were working on, and they didn't start any of them out by saying "ok this is gonna be a chrono trigger sequel". Like the rough draft of Xenogears was one of the early proposals for FF7 (and FF7 ended up borrowing a lot from that). So I wouldn't call it shoehorning, but it probably didn't start out as definitely being a trigger sequel.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Yeah, Chrono Trigger itself started development as a Seiken Densetsu game.

Your Computer posted:

it plays exactly like it did on the ps1

Which is baffling because it's running on a device thousands of times more powerful and emulation has already shown that the actual original game code will run at a smooth 60 if given more hardware resources.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Fister Roboto posted:

That's kind of just how Square worked at the time. They had a lot of different projects they were working on, and they didn't start any of them out by saying "ok this is gonna be a chrono trigger sequel". Like the rough draft of Xenogears was one of the early proposals for FF7 (and FF7 ended up borrowing a lot from that). So I wouldn't call it shoehorning, but it probably didn't start out as definitely being a trigger sequel.

Wasn't Parasite Eve also a FF7 candidate?

I think Capcom also operated similarly (or at least did something similar at one point) with Haunting Ground and Resident Evil 4.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i spent a summer watching the opening fmv to this game cause it came on a demo disc I had.

it was so moving

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sarah Cenia posted:

i spent a summer watching the opening fmv to this game cause it came on a demo disc I had.

it was so moving

under cerulean skies

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Beat Chrono Cross today!

Is there a place I can read/watch a summary of what just happened?

So Schala from Chrono Trigger fused with Lavos to create the time devourer (that part I knew going into the game). But when Serge was attacked by a panther demon as a baby she created a 'daughter-clone' named Kid to rescue him? So then Wazuki goes to the sea of eden to try to save Serge which makes him arbiter of project Chronopolis, but in the process goes mad and transforms into Lynx (losing control after he and Serge get outta there). Then 4 years later Mother Brain/FATE goes buckwild and tries to drown Serge (which causes the timeline split?) tbqh there was a lot thrown at us from chronopolis onwards that I kind of wish we had some time to digest everything that was happening.

Fun game, love a lot of the quality of life features it has compared to other JRPGs. Party members are great. Can't say I was that big a fan of the story because there wasn't really that much of a driving force for the cast (I posted in games chat but it felt like we spent the majority of the game reacting to things rather than being proactive about something). I'm still unsure about what happened to the cast of Chrono Trigger but I think they're either puppeteering the entire thing behind the scenes or they got unceremoniously killed off. Top moment of the game was the Rock Opera/Play that happened for Marbule while the lowest moment was... idk, the ending probably.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lucca and Robo get killed off, I dunno what happens to Marle and Crono. There's a long running theory that Miguel is Crono just due to his hair and how he generally looks, but that seems like a reach

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Lucca and Robo get killed off, I dunno what happens to Marle and Crono. There's a long running theory that Miguel is Crono just due to his hair and how he generally looks, but that seems like a reach

Wait, so the Crono, Lucca, and Marle that I saw at Opassa beach were just fragments of them or something?

Or were they versions of those characters before they got killed off in the future?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Wait, so the Crono, Lucca, and Marle that I saw at Opassa beach were just fragments of them or something?

Or were they versions of those characters before they got killed off in the future?

Dude, the fate of these 3 is unclear and is even worse than FFVIII for creating weird fan-theory communities. Whatever you think it is....just stick with that.

I personally always ascribed to the idea that they, the ones you see with Miguel and Opassa beach, were the characters from the Chrono Trigger timeline that you, the player, played through in Chrono Trigger whose existence was rendered moot by the actions of Chrono and gang within that timeline by ensuring the existence of FATE by defeating Lavos.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 27, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Madmarker posted:

Dude, the fate of these 3 is unclear and is even worse than FFVIII for creating weird fan-theory communities. Whatever you think it is....just stick with that.

I personally always ascribed to the idea that they, the ones you see with Miguel and Opassa beach, were the characters from the Chrono Trigger timeline that you, the player, played through in Chrono Trigger whose existence was rendered moot by the actions of Chrono and gang within that timeline by ensuring the existence of FATE by defeating Lavos.

My headcanon is now going to be that whoever the main writer was had just gone through a horrible breakup, had 8 hours until the game script's deadline, and decided to convey all of those emotions and feelings in a big stream of consciousness that started at chronopolis and ended at the credits sequence.

Crono and Lucca and Marle are alive and having fun too i guess.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hoo boy, I may be wrong about some of this but going on from what I vaguely remember...

Arrrthritis posted:

But when Serge was attacked by a panther demon as a baby she created a 'daughter-clone' named Kid to rescue him?

I think this is right and it's worth noting that the ending movie for the PS1 Chrono Trigger port (also I think the DS version had the cutscenes?) actually shows this, with Lucca finding a random baby that materialized under a tree with a pendant modeled after Schala's. Lucca I think recognizes the pendant and so maybe knows it's Schala? She seems to know Kid is Schala in the letter to Magus in Chronopolis at least.

Arrrthritis posted:

So then Wazuki goes to the sea of eden to try to save Serge which makes him arbiter of project Chronopolis, but in the process goes mad and transforms into Lynx (losing control after he and Serge get outta there). Then 4 years later Mother Brain/FATE goes buckwild and tries to drown Serge (which causes the timeline split?) tbqh there was a lot thrown at us from chronopolis onwards that I kind of wish we had some time to digest everything that was happening.

This is the complicated part. Wazuki wasn't trying to get to the Sea of Eden, he was trying to get to the mainland, the storm blew him off course and he ended up in the Sea of Eden. FATE saves Serge's life, but due to Belthasar making Robo the Prometheus Circuit, this causes Robo to deem Serge the Arbiter and lock out FATE's access to the Frozen Flame without Serge's permission. FATE does eventually take control of Wazuki and turn him into Lynx, but I'm not sure exactly when Serge's death happens, though yeah Serge living causes the timeline split because with the Arbiter dead, this allows FATE to access the Frozen Flame again and ensure its own existence in the good future where Lavos is defeated. This is why the Dead Sea is in Home World, since Serge living means that FATE can't control people's destinies, the El Nido residents get to the mainland and start screwing with history in a way FATE can't control, and this somehow prevents Crono and friends from defeating Lavos.

When the port was announced I was kind of like "Eh whatever I played Cross years ago, I'm fine" but the more I talk about it in this thread, the more I want to replay it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is the complicated part. Wazuki wasn't trying to get to the Sea of Eden, he was trying to get to the mainland, the storm blew him off course and he ended up in the Sea of Eden. FATE saves Serge's life, but due to Belthasar making Robo the Prometheus Circuit, this causes Robo to deem Serge the Arbiter and lock out FATE's access to the Frozen Flame without Serge's permission. FATE does eventually take control of Wazuki and turn him into Lynx, but I'm not sure exactly when Serge's death happens, though yeah Serge living causes the timeline split because with the Arbiter dead, this allows FATE to access the Frozen Flame again and ensure its own existence in the good future where Lavos is defeated. This is why the Dead Sea is in Home World, since Serge living means that FATE can't control people's destinies, the El Nido residents get to the mainland and start screwing with history in a way FATE can't control, and this somehow prevents Crono and friends from defeating Lavos.

When the port was announced I was kind of like "Eh whatever I played Cross years ago, I'm fine" but the more I talk about it in this thread, the more I want to replay it.

I think I'm following. So Serge being made arbiter is a completely accidental thing. Chronopolis seemed like it was an experiment made to control the inhabitants of El Nido island to make sure that the good 'dead lavos' timeline exists, which I think is strongly implied by Crono, Marle, and Lucca all being at Opassa beach all like 'welp, you know what to do, use the chrono cross. Oh btw lynx was your dad sorry to break it to you.' But then that kind of makes both Lynx and Harle look like kind of bad antagonists, because they're both unwitting patsies of the first game's cast. The alternative to that being... well, I don't know why Chronopolis would exist in the first place. Because that was created to make sure that the good timeline exists, right? But why would they have monitors for the various possible timelines (both in my game and in the choices that I didn't make) if they didn't know that reality was going to be split at some point?

It's also weird that Serge was the baby that caused Schala to create a daughter-clone, and not like, any of the other kids on the planet. But maybe that's just a timing thing or maybe there's something about Serge that got her to reach out.

I'm also a little confused about the dragons. It's my understanding that they're the evolution of the Reptites from the dimension where Lavos never hit the earth (and thus want to wipe out humanity because they want to get rid of the taint of time travel, which i don't blame them tbqh). But then at the top of Chronopolis there's the time devourer just chilling and waiting to fight- which was a cool fight and all but it just led to confusion from us.

I also totally missed that Robo was in Chronopolis. I thought FATE was just like, the big bad far future AI from Chrono Trigger.

Plot discrepencies aside I still enjoyed Chrono Cross. As a game it was a very fun experience and I dug the element system for the most part. It was also fun treating Poshul as the main character for like, 3/5ths of the game (and Draggy for the other 2/5ths).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

though yeah Serge living causes the timeline split

I thought it was that the timeline split was caused by Chrono and friends defeating Lavos, which indirectly leads to Serge dying in the new Lavos-free timeline.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Arrrthritis posted:

I think I'm following. So Serge being made arbiter is a completely accidental thing. Chronopolis seemed like it was an experiment made to control the inhabitants of El Nido island to make sure that the good 'dead lavos' timeline exists, which I think is strongly implied by Crono, Marle, and Lucca all being at Opassa beach all like 'welp, you know what to do, use the chrono cross.

It's not accidental, Belthasar planned it, but it didn't necessarily have to be Serge, it could have been anyone. And yes, the reason that Another World is the "Lavos dead, good future" dimension is that's the one where Serge dies, so FATE continues to exist and is able to control the residents of El Nido to ensure nobody goes to the mainland and history isn't altered. Chronopolis wasn't created to ensure the good timeline exists; it's just a research facility that existed in the good future timeline and it accidentally gets sent back to the past in the Time Crash. Since it appearing in the past could cause history to be altered, that's why FATE is trying its hardest to make sure history isn't altered and Crono defeats Lavos. And yeah, Lynx is a "bad" antagonist in the sense that he's trying to save the world from being destroyed by Serge's existence, which technically makes him the good guy in the overall scheme of things from his point of view (and Crono/Marle/Lucca's as well, this is why they hate Serge). But since Belthasar wants to save Schala and that requires FATE out of the picture, Lynx is an antagonist in that if he succeeds, Schala continues being fused to Lavos and the Time Devourer is created.

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm also a little confused about the dragons. It's my understanding that they're the evolution of the Reptites from the dimension where Lavos never hit the earth (and thus want to wipe out humanity because they want to get rid of the taint of time travel, which i don't blame them tbqh). But then at the top of Chronopolis there's the time devourer just chilling and waiting to fight- which was a cool fight and all but it just led to confusion from us.

The dragons are six fragments of a dragon god that existed in the timeline where Lavos never came to earth and humans never evolved, so Reptites became the dominant life form and existed in harmony with nature. The dragon god at the top of Chronopolis isn't the Time Devourer, that's apparently a mistranslation in the English version. They're just the reformed dragon god from when all six fragments become whole, who like you said want to wipe out humanity to stop all the time travel stuff.

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought it was that the timeline split was caused by Chrono and friends defeating Lavos, which indirectly leads to Serge dying in the new Lavos-free timeline.

Serge's death is directly caused by FATE to make him no longer the Arbiter and allowing it access to the Frozen Flame again, which powers the Records of Fate and tells the islanders of El Nido things like "You will never succeed at being a poet on the mainland, you must stay here and be a fisherman's wife." Again, this is why the Dead Sea where Lavos causes the bad future in Chrono Trigger is in Home World. Since FATE doesn't kill Serge in that timeline, Serge is the Arbiter, FATE loses its control over El Nido, people go to the mainland and mess up history, and this prevents Crono from defeating Lavos somehow. So no, the timeline split is caused by Kid saving Serge from drowning, this is why Lynx calls Serge "the assassin of time, the Chrono Trigger" at Viper Manor, since his existence allows Lavos to succeed.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

If I remember correctly, the Time Devourer that you fight at the top of Terra Tower was the Reptite-future equivilant of Fate, and was split into the 6 Dragon Gods when the future Reptites lost the war against Chronopolis, and somehow split between the two dimensions (this was probably the biggest "Wait what hang on" moment for me in the game). I THINK the idea was that the dragons were no longer united in their goal of wiping out humanity, so when they reformed into their true body, they didn't just start killing everyone. Then you catch up and murder them. You monster.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've beaten this game multiple times when it came out and once on the new remaster and I still have no idea what's going on. I just let it wash over me like a chaotic wave and fight with my dolls.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The weird thing about the Dario boss fight is that he has a counter but his counter counts as his turn. That's what threw me off first time I fought him. He clearly counters any Element used on him, I understood that, but unlike any other boss I've ever seen in a video game, his counter is not just a free action. It counts as him using his turn so you don't have to worry about his counter + whatever he was gonna do next anyway.

It's kinda dumb.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The weird thing about the Dario boss fight is that he has a counter but his counter counts as his turn. That's what threw me off first time I fought him. He clearly counters any Element used on him, I understood that, but unlike any other boss I've ever seen in a video game, his counter is not just a free action. It counts as him using his turn so you don't have to worry about his counter + whatever he was gonna do next anyway.

It's kinda dumb.

Yeah, whenever I do the Dario fight I just stock up on a bunch of red elements to cast on him so that all his actions are wasted casting Numble on me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There is an update coming to fix some frame rate issues.

https://twitter.com/chronogame/status/1627595394946416640?t=ziGvDKi1DXsSiiI5_h5jmA&s=19

What secrets are they talking about?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 21, 2023

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Jesus a little late. Might give it another playthrough if they fix the framerate though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I wonder how they plan on changing Pip.

Like as a child I spent way way to many hours obsessively tracking how many elements toward devil (black red yellow) vs elements toward angel pip (white blue green) were cast by and on pip (having pip cast a spell on himself counted twice) and making sure that the element he cast the most was of a different color then the direction he would evolve. (I wanted a Demon with white/blue/green innate on pip or an Angel Pip with Green/Black/Red innate).

So I am just super curious. Hopefully they make it easier to track what direction Pip will evolve without obsessive note taking, and make the process more intuitive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If the game gets fixed I'll buy it. I want to play through it again, not sure why it took this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Madmarker posted:

I wonder how they plan on changing Pip.

Like as a child I spent way way to many hours obsessively tracking how many elements toward devil (black red yellow) vs elements toward angel pip (white blue green) were cast by and on pip (having pip cast a spell on himself counted twice) and making sure that the element he cast the most was of a different color then the direction he would evolve. (I wanted a Demon with white/blue/green innate on pip or an Angel Pip with Green/Black/Red innate).

So I am just super curious. Hopefully they make it easier to track what direction Pip will evolve without obsessive note taking, and make the process more intuitive.

Apparently in the Radical Dreamers version all of his forms have the same stat growth as the base form. I assume that's all which gets fixed.