Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Color?
Yellow
Red
Green
Blue
Black
White
View Results

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Chrono Cross remaster is out. It has the same problems as most Square Enix remasters - FPS issues, smeary textures, not much is changed. But whatever, it was a messy game back when it first came out, and this is a lot of folks' first opportunity to play it. So this is a low effort thread for a low effort remaster.

Here's a picture of Funguy smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It's almost hilarious how often they randomly flip flop between putting in some effort, like adding back some of the cut content to SaGa Frontier including Fuse's whole campaign thing, and then something like....this.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love Chrono Cross' battle system. I just want good gameplay mods to come out of this.

The only other CC gameplay mod is...mostly okay but has some serious balance issues. I did a run of it a few montsh back
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ-06zMCdll2txBVcoAk_Bin4oq3iJrKp

Not using Diminish makes fights a lot more interesting! Sadly, in the mod, some of the fights seem to only be viable with it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Chrono Cross is good. It always ran like poo poo so I don’t know what people expected out of an emulated version of it with some texture mods slapped in. It’s pretty much the same as FF 8 remastered.

Some modder will insert AI upscaled backgrounds for the PC version

I’m just glad it’s available in a modern capacity with the previously unavailable text adventure game

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Hell yeah, love this game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDK38rhX0RQ

Mitsuda is a legend but he's not generally known for his battle music. This song is such a strange choice for the co-main villain of the game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkkkGDMu8g

This is one of the best songs in the entire game, Top 5 for sure, and I hate that it only plays for 2/6 Dragon fights. It only plays for the easiest dragons, too. I would have loved if this played for Sky Dragon and maybe Fire. It wouldn't fit with Green and Black but Sky it be the perfect climax boss music.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

There was already a pack of AI upscaled textures from 2020 that put the remaster's textures to shame

vid from 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFI0yEQZPtU
vid from Apr 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnmqSVHIok

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 11, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Gyoru posted:

There was already a pack of AI upscaled textures from 2020 that put the remaster's textures to shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFI0yEQZPtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPnmqSVHIok

That's the better upscale. With a widescreen patch it's still probably the best way to play CC. Is there a 60 fps patch where the combat menus don't flicker?

The remaster is the only way to buy Radical Dreamers at least.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Let me tell you all about my Is Glenn Frog? theories.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I still love the absolutely insane choice to make one of the only two difficult bosses in the game be what is basically some random fisherman. Was there a plot justification for him being so drat strong?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I still love the absolutely insane choice to make one of the only two difficult bosses in the game be what is basically some random fisherman. Was there a plot justification for him being so drat strong?

There are theories he's Crono...somehow.

Other than that, I would guess it's because he was appointed by FATE as a guardian of the Dead Sea. I think that was ostensibly his role there. He was imprisoned for a reason.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Have you seen how big the swordfish is in Arni? Dudes get ripped reeling those things in.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I think Chrono Cross is neat. The remaster is my first time actually playing it since I never actually had it on PS1. Haven't got far in the game yet, I'm just starting to murder lizards for their scales with the help of a talking dog.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone ever engage with Pip and their evolution mechanic? If so, why?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So when you all say this game has FPS issues, are we talking about the same issues that were present in the original, or places where the FPS didn't dip in the original?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone ever engage with Pip and their evolution mechanic? If so, why?

Cuz I was poor in middle/high school and I had to bleed all the fun out of a game possible. Why yes I did manage to get a Black Innate Angel pip. (had to carefully track every element Pip used or had used on him to make sure that the most common element used by or used on pip was Black but that more total blue/green/white elements than red/black/yellow elements were used by or used on pip)

EDIT-What really sucked though was that once you hit 99 star levels, you no longer gained any star levels...meaning pip could no longer evolve once you hit star level 99. Which wouldn't be so bad except that every time you start new game plus, pip would be back in his base form, meaning...at some point, pip will lose the ability to evolve.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 11, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Willo567 posted:

So when you all say this game has FPS issues, are we talking about the same issues that were present in the original, or places where the FPS didn't dip in the original?

You can toggle between the “new” graphics (upscaled backgrounds, hi res ui, and some model touchups) and the “classic” graphics (same as the ps1 visuals)

The “classic” mode runs the same as the ps1 version did, but the “new” mode actually runs worse, with frame drops in places where the original ran smoothly. Performance is the same across all platforms, so it’s entirely an issue with the port.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Snake Maze posted:

You can toggle between the “new” graphics (upscaled backgrounds, hi res ui, and some model touchups) and the “classic” graphics (same as the ps1 visuals)

The “classic” mode runs the same as the ps1 version did, but the “new” mode actually runs worse, with frame drops in places where the original ran smoothly. Performance is the same across all platforms, so it’s entirely an issue with the port.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't going to use the "new" graphics anyways, so I'll probably get it when it goes on sale

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Additionally "the original ran pretty poorly on its native hardware" isn't really a justification for the remaster to run poorly since the problem is 100% just that it was CPU-limited. Overclocking the emulated CPU results in a butter smooth framerate.

I had previously posted these videos in the FF thread but they're relevant here too in case anyone missed them:

CC Remaster running on PS5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm-MD5Nt-y0

Original PSX disc running in an emulator (which is running on an Xbox Series X) with the resolution and CPU speed increased:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7HJYgRRQO4

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 11, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

That's the better upscale. With a widescreen patch it's still probably the best way to play CC. Is there a 60 fps patch where the combat menus don't flicker?

The remaster is the only way to buy Radical Dreamers at least.

The flickering in the first video is from 2020 so they are using an old beetle psx (mednafen) build. The second video is from this month (April 2022) and doesn't have flickering. The current nightly build of the Beetle PSX core doesn't have UI flickering on my end

Beetle PSX just needs a modest emulated CPU overclock (150% setting or so) to get consistent 60 internal fps in Chrono Cross with the 5 GB texture replacement pack

https://docs.libretro.com/library/beetle_psx_hw/#texture-replacements-vulkan-only

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 11, 2022

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Chrono Cross is a good game. Its faults make it better

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

For me the flickering only shows up at high amounts of CPU overclock (~400%) in DuckStation.

Although I do have another issue where scripted events will not proceed while the CPU is overclocked, but turning it off momentarily fixes it.

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 11, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dross posted:

For me the flickering only shows up at high amounts of CPU overclock (~400%)

High overclocks like that can cause CTDs after casting certain Elements. For example, casting Uplift causes the emulator to hard crash after the animation

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Gyoru posted:

High overclocks like that can cause CTDs after casting certain Elements. For example, casting Uplift causes the emulator to hard crash after the animation

Huh, that doesn't happen in Duckstation although there was a weird graphical issue where the scene behind the battle menus was just full of the floor texture for a couple seconds at the start of the cast.

edit: I cranked it even more and Uplift hard reset the game lol

350% feels like the sweet spot where it juuust hits consistent 60 and doesn't crash or introduce graphical anomalies.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2022

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Chrono Trigger is a far better game but I still think I have more affection for Cross.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Both Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross would be massively improved if they had nothing to do with each other.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Crosses plot is a commentary on how loose trigger was with time travel, its okay theyre connected it cant hurt you

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Nah. I know it's really fun to look at stuff that made people on Gamefaqs mad and say "it's good, actually", but Chrono Cross would legitimately be better if it dropped the Trigger connections entirely and just tried to stand on its own.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's good, actually.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The Cross connections are cool and the ideas of time travel are the most interesting parts of Cross, it should've been focused on more not less

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wish I could say Chrono Cross was good, but it had way too many party members and the actual plot gets dumped on you in the last 5 minutes, leaving you feeling like they ran out of time/money/space and forgot to actually tell you what was going until the last minute.

Cut the party down to about a quarter of the full cast, and make the plot relevant to the actual game (or vice versa) and it'll probably be good. It's playable, and you'll probably enjoy playing it on the PSX, but man did it feel rushed and bloated.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Randalor posted:

...it had way too many party members and the actual plot gets dumped on you in the last 5 minutes, leaving you feeling like they ran out of time/money/space and forgot to actually tell you what was going until the last minute.

Cut the party down to about a quarter of the full cast, and make the plot relevant to the actual game (or vice versa)...

Yeah this is basically my opinion as well, except my own personal love of the music, character design, general idea of themes and plot all make me like it more than the objective quality of the game. I recognize it's very flawed, but I really like it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

Nah. I know it's really fun to look at stuff that made people on Gamefaqs mad and say "it's good, actually", but Chrono Cross would legitimately be better if it dropped the Trigger connections entirely and just tried to stand on its own.

I disagree

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also i didnt play trigger or cross until like 10 years ago so whatever gamefaqs got mad about is stuff i dont know and dont care

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The wobbly connections are worth it just for the sheer effort the Chrono Compendium has put into trying to make it all mesh with each other.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

chrono cross ftw

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also i didnt play trigger or cross until like 10 years ago so whatever gamefaqs got mad about is stuff i dont know and dont care

I'm pretty sure 99% of it is them being mad that Crono/Marle/Lucca were killed offscreen but being mad about that is dumb and the Chrono Trigger connections rule.

Seriously going into the Dead Sea the first time I played the game and realizing what it was was incredibly loving cool.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The end of CC can feel like a middle finger to CT fans.

Even Gato has to die.

Also,. notably, Masato Kato wrote the Lahan section of Xenogears whre a random Lucca sprite shows up and is of course nuked into oblivion with most everyone else So she's died twice under his pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Chrono Cross's connection to Trigger is very important and it could not possibly be removed from it. Yes, the connections don't really start becoming apparent until the back portion but you would have the change so much about the game to remove the Trigger stuff that the game would not work. I absolutely love Cross and I absolutely love trigger, Cross is a bad sequel and a very strange spin-off. Chrono Cross is also the first video game I bought with my own money so I would probably like it even if it was an objectively bad game.

I think the numerous flaws of Chrono Cross are part of what makes it great.

But you could remove literally half the playable characters and the game would be better for it.