Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best FF game?
FF4(2)
FF6(3)
FF13
FF15
Goku
View Results

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

FF13 was the first PS3 FF and I imported the Japanese version because it came out significantly earlier there and I was at the height of my weeb phase, like 5 semesters deep into learning Japanese in college. I beat it but I didn't have a loving clue what was going on in the plot at all and figured I just wasn't fluent enough yet

Like a year later I read a "plot explainer" in English on I think GameFAQs, and I somehow understood it even less after I finished that, and I am someone who loved the plot of FF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Methamphetamine was invented in Japan.

honestly FF13 is the only one i could see having been produced under the auspices of large amounts of cocaine and/or meth and/or adderall. it's got that vibe for sure and im not just talking about Vanille, who is Definitely Tweaking Bro

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
being high on meth is no excuse for making an rpg without towns that takes place in a single hallway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kntfkr posted:

being high on meth is no excuse for making an rpg without towns that takes place in a single hallway

this isn't the Dark Souls thread

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

But but but BlightTOWN!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

precision posted:

this isn't the Dark Souls thread

:eyepop:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The Final Fantasy 15 movie tie in is better than Final Fantasy 15 the game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

OP I bought the FF pixel remaster bundle on Steam and I'm going to play through them all and then I might just keep on going until I'm sick of FF. I really think it's mostly this thread's doing/fault so thanks/gently caress

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

gonna do FF1 right now and since it's been many years I'm gonna keep it fairly traditional and go Warrior/Red Mage/White Mage/Black Mage

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Beartaco posted:

The Final Fantasy 15 movie tie in is better than Final Fantasy 15 the game.

Sure was a good troll from Square Enix to cut out plot crucial events and sell them separately on blu-ray. Almost as good as having the main XV heroine show up for longer in the movie than in the game.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

update:

We have reached Elfland, which is now called Elfheim, and we got attacked by this bullshit monster group right outside the town. Already reeling from the discovery that the power peninsula is gone and that the red mage has terrible stat growth (look at that max HP) this was almost too much for our heroes to bear. The elves are still shady looking little bastards and they want 100 gil per night to stay in their crappy inn which is unacceptable.

Also Matoya's theme has been turned from the best piece of music in the game to some crappy little pan-pipe ditty. What has Square-Enix done to my beloved first RPG ever? I do appreciate the use of violin in other pieces of the soundtrack though.

Next up is the crown and then we shall give Astos the beating he deserves

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
*gets to Gran Pulse*
*immediately stops playing*

I've done this like 4 times. I actually can't finish this game.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

update:

We have reached Elfland, which is now called Elfheim, and we got attacked by this bullshit monster group right outside the town. Already reeling from the discovery that the power peninsula is gone and that the red mage has terrible stat growth (look at that max HP) this was almost too much for our heroes to bear. The elves are still shady looking little bastards and they want 100 gil per night to stay in their crappy inn which is unacceptable.

Also Matoya's theme has been turned from the best piece of music in the game to some crappy little pan-pipe ditty. What has Square-Enix done to my beloved first RPG ever? I do appreciate the use of violin in other pieces of the soundtrack though.

Next up is the crown and then we shall give Astos the beating he deserves

Red Mage was always terrible. Should have gone with theif or black belt instead.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Ape Fist posted:

*gets to Gran Pulse*

Gran Pulse is far and away the best segment of the game though

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I like ff and i was super excited for 13, preordered it with the big leatherette bound strategy guide and took release day off work.

Then i started playing it and it was really cool for 15 minutes and then i spent 4 hours running in a straight line down a corridor while sexy androgynes blorted word salad at me and i was shook ngl

I never played it again and sold it at a loss to a friend who played the poo poo out of it and loved every minute?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

palumpolum was the best because all the characters are converging and some of the melodrama actually lands for 5 minutes.

gran pulse is just a big field with nothing to do in it. it's nice to look at and i'm not saying it's bad but i think it's just sheer relief that the game is doing something different after 30 hours of anime cyberpunk hallways.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

When I was a kid there was a Warmech Challenge in Nintendo Power. You had to find Warmech, take a picture of your screen, and send it to Nintendo for a chance to get your name in a video game. I took a pic then, and I took a pic now.

I'm not sure how many times I've found and fought Warmech in my life. I'd guess a good dozen. But one thing I know for sure: this will be the last time. It took just over four hours of pacing back and forth along the bridge to Tiamat to get the rear end in a top hat to spawn.

Time to put Chaos down and move on to another FF. I'm thinking I'll go out of order and play 4 next.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I liked FF 13, 13-2, and Lightning Returns.

Thanks for reading.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Ape Fist posted:

*gets to Gran Pulse*

Hi, stopped-playing-immediately-at-Gran-Pulse buddy.

I eventually went back and finished the game four or five years later just to have it done with, and discovered it was not worth finishing. I'm sure I must have forgotten some stuff about it, but my only memory of Gran Pulse is that the activities there are just grinding and running back and forth across it a bunch of times fighting unique monsters.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Time to put Chaos down and move on to another FF. I'm thinking I'll go out of order and play 4 next.

Fair enough. They were still trying to figure poo poo out with 2 and the Jobs system in 3 isn't quite as fleshed out as it is in 5 or tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Lightning Returns looked cool as hell but it has some kind of unavoidable ticking clock element to it, right? I play these games meticulously and over many months, until I forget where I was or the plot, hoarding items that I only realize right at the end of the game. Not to get lectured to by some kind of scary moon that's crashing into earth!!

For real I am hooked on FFXIV and I am pretty bad but I freaking love it. Add me my name is Coe'let Any'tizer in the game and bless u