Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tonight I'm gonna have EYE-TALIAN OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

vaginite posted:

I work all day and so does my wife so I convinced my stupid rear end kid that Wednesday is "Italy day" so we only have to cook him some pasta and Ragu, don't you fuckin dare take Italy Day from me

My kid insists she's Italian because her grandma's grandma is from Italy.

No kiddo you're dumb white trash just like me.

She doesn't even like gababool wtf why is this even an argument.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've been to italy a few times and the food there is like everywhere else nowadays. You can find good poo poo and bad poo poo everywhere. All the culinary secrets were shared online 20+ years ago

I will say that the one thing I did notice was nicer down in Italy compared to Sweden were the tomatoes. They just tasted... more and better

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I guess because they have so much more sunshine down there? Which, by the way, is incredibly unfair to us frozen northmen

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokYv274fVM

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8IU_aDXEqM

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ellasmith posted:

Just because it's pasta doesn't mean it's proper "Italian" cooking. It's Americanized, and rarely do they get it right to call it Italian. Americans have some very weird methods to cook pasta and it's disingenuous to say "oh, we're having Italian tonight." No. You're having American pasta. Italian cooking has specific methods of cooking that is considered correct if you want to call it Italian.

italian food owes everything good about it to America. didn't even have tomatoes without the americas. lmao can u imagine italy back then? just people eating fuckin fish and some bullshit rear end veggies with noodles they give 500 names to. the funniest thing is when anyone tries to bring up italy in pizza discussions. pizza is american, the bullshit wet diaper wad they make in italy is a crude facsimile for people still a little afraid of all the great vegetables from america that define the good parts of italian cuisine

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The restaurant I work at puts meatballs on pizza and makes vegan bolognese with texturized vegetable protein but the sign says we're Italian so it must be legit!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Italians put one disk of mozzarella on flatbread and call it pizza they don't know a goddamn thing about food

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
it's because we're trying to avoid saying the T word, OP

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do italians use barilla or are they keeping the good pasta from us

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Italians put one disk of mozzarella on flatbread and call it pizza they don't know a goddamn thing about food

a disc of mozzarella?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

OP, I have a noodle for you to cook

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

mama mia

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
any italian food with tomatoes or peppers is american. italian food sucked until america made it edible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

The earliest written record of noodles is found in a book dated to the Eastern Han period (25–220 CE).[2] Noodles made from wheat dough became a prominent food for the people of the Han dynasty.[3] The oldest evidence of noodles was from 4,000 years ago in China.[2] In 2005, a team of archaeologists reported finding an earthenware bowl that contained 4000-year-old noodles at the Lajia archaeological site.[4] These noodles were said to resemble lamian, a type of Chinese noodle.[4] Analyzing the husk phytoliths and starch grains present in the sediment associated with the noodles, they were identified as millet belonging to Panicum miliaceum and Setaria italica.[4] However, other researchers cast doubt that Lajia's noodles were made from specifically millet: it is difficult to make pure millet noodles, it is unclear whether the analyzed residue were directly derived from Lajia's noodles themselves, starch morphology after cooking shows distinctive alterations that does not fit with Lajia's noodles, and it is uncertain whether the starch-like grains from Laijia's noodles are starch as they show some non-starch characteristics.[5]

Food historians generally estimate that pasta's origin is from among the Mediterranean countries:[6] a homogenous mixture of flour and water called itrion as described by 2nd century Greek physician Galen,[7] among 3rd to 5th century Palestinians as itrium as described by the Jerusalem Talmud[8] and as itriyya (Arabic cognate of the Greek word), string-like shapes made of semolina and dried before cooking as defined by the 9th century Aramean physician and lexicographer Isho bar Ali.[9]
butter chicken is more british than pasta is italian