Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

once a brit I went to school with told me he'd rather eat some curry at 3 in the morning than any of the "flavorless, inedibly hot" New Mexican food he was being exposed to and I pretty much never hung out with or talked to him again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
it's probably the whole protestant "pleasure should be laborious and painful" thing

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Crystal on the eggy benedict and crystal in the mimosa we doing brunch up baller status OP

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Nooner posted:

Crystal on the eggy benedict and crystal in the mimosa we doing brunch up baller bougie rear end in a top hat status OP

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Lots of hot sauces have vinegar in them to give the impression of heat and spiciness instead of the real thing. A friend of mine gave me a tube smoked hirassa and I can never not taste vinegar in “hot sauces” again.

So, OP, people who think things are spicy are just tasting vinegar.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

vinegar is delicious

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
white people love buffalo sauce and they especially love buffalo sauce that's hot enough to melt steel but still doesn't have a flavor stronger than cayenne and vinegar.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

Lots of hot sauces have vinegar in them to give the impression of heat and spiciness instead of the real thing. A friend of mine gave me a tube smoked hirassa and I can never not taste vinegar in “hot sauces” again.

So, OP, people who think things are spicy are just tasting vinegar.

It sounds like you have no idea what you're tasting, or thinking, at all

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

It sounds like you have no idea what you're tasting, or thinking, at all

Indeed.

https://flowercityflavor.com/vinegar-in-hot-sauce-101-the-essential-guide/

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

A mini marshmallow is .05 scovilles

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Indeed indeed. No poo poo vinegar is a common ingredient in hot sauce, but nothing in that article says that vinegar is a way of faking extra hotness in hot sauce. It just says it brings out the flavors of the various ingredients. Vinegar doesn't make non-spicy or slightly spicy poo poo spicy.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
KEtchup is too spicy for me I prefer Ranch

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

KEtchup is too spicy for me I prefer Ranch

Ranch is no longer safe my friend https://www.brandeating.com/2022/04/review-taco-bell-steak-white-hot-ranch-fries.html

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
why did someone poo poo on the fries

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the america observer

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Did you not grow up on a diet of the plainest of plain boiled cabbage, boiled cauliflower, boiled squash, boiled yam, boiled potatoes, boiled corn, boiled carrot, boiled sprouts, boiled radish, boiled celery, boiled onions, boiled turnip, boiled green beans and boot leather like overcooked meat OP cause I sure as gently caress did,
For some of us hot sauce was a step up from loving nothing so it's hardly surprising that some people are gonna get carried away with it.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

they make homeopathic hot sauce sugar water more and more diluted until someone's like okay i can't taste it

Wouldn't that make it even more potent? :tinfoil:

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Flaming hot cheetos made me the man I am today(after ODing 2 times)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

most american food is dry and bland, this is why we are so weird about certain condiments

cake bunny
Oct 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

most american food is dry and bland, this is why we are so weird about certain condiments

To elaborate, a lot of the food that is readily accessible to the masses in the US is pretty poor quality ingredient-wise, so a lot of condiments are used to cover this up as much as possible. When you find a condiment or two that you really like and you're faced with a bunch of rather poo poo food that has no flavor that you'd prefer to taste anyway, you might decide to just put that condiment on a lot of stuff in order to make it taste of something you actually enjoy. Especially true if you eat a lot of food you don't prepare from scratch yourself.

We also just like condiments in general. At one time I'd have said that we might like condiments more than any other country, but then I saw Korean street food, and they have the US so amazingly beaten on condiment use, and all other measure of excess, that I think the Texas state fair vendors need to go on a learning mission to a few night markets there to up their game.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
americans after eating authentic street tacos with fresh chili powder, paprika, and cayenne:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I like hot peppers and they taste like nothing else in the world.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's weird to me how "spicy" exclusively means hot, like chili is the only spice in the world. Also some people do seem to think there are two options: hot, or plain and unseasoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah the worst thing about America is how all of the food is so dang spicy, and don't get me started on the sugar in the bread.