Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I assumed they were bots in case they couldn’t fill a match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

This game is basically unplayable now. Literally everyone just camps a rooftop, waiting for 2 people to start fighting and then they try to 5th or 6th or 20th party the fight.... Sharkmob really needs to do something to mitigate that. Maybe start with making it so you CAN'T hear gunshots from halfway across the map.

It's pretty frustrating when you get the gun you want, find someone to fight, kill them, then instantly get jumped by 2 other guys and have no chance of survival. Then you respawn and can't find that gun again for the rest of the match... The "smart" way to play is to find your favorite guns and then hide from everybody until the end, so you have the loadout you want for the final zone fight. But that's just boring

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 29, 2022

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

HAHAHAHA.... I just played a game where I won with 3 players left by capturing the control point. I don't know if it alerts the enemy players when you are in the process of capturing it or not, but this is the 2nd time I've won via that method.

I try to quit the game, but then hilarious poo poo like that happens, to pull me back in

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
It's getting to the point where I end up in matches with the same people, mostly TTV guys.

Without major changes, this will be on life support in less than a year.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tokubetsu posted:

actually i think you're right, they get weaned out as you level? I just remember sometimes running into them
If they made it so bots filled the non crossplay console queues, that would be a pretty good band aid to help them retain console players.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I don't even know how you'd mitigate third partying in this. It's always gonna be bad in BRs it seems, especially ones with high mobility (apex, hyperscape). Apex is a bit better since audio is broken half the time (lol), maps are cluttered and huge, ranked works in a way that placement trumps getting into action.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Tokubetsu posted:

I don't even know how you'd mitigate third partying in this. It's always gonna be bad in BRs it seems, especially ones with high mobility (apex, hyperscape). Apex is a bit better since audio is broken half the time (lol), maps are cluttered and huge, ranked works in a way that placement trumps getting into action.

I already suggested 1 very easy fix, significantly reduce the range where you can hear enemy gunfire. Other easy fixes would be significantly reduce the detection range of that sonar thing and either reduce the amount of players put in each lobby or increase the map size.

I can live with third partying. What is REALLY annoying is when there are like 5 or 6 people waiting to jump in, because then it becomes basically impossible to outplay it, you just have to hope you get lucky.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So the patch notes for next week's update dropped today:

https://bloodhunt.com/en-us/news/june-community-update-patch-notes

Nerfs to Flesh of Marble, melee life drain and the shotguns should help a bit with the oppressiveness of Enforcers I would assume. Looks like a lot of changes for controller players too.

The really bad news is that they haven't been able to fix the main issues plaguing this game in time for the patch: the reload bug, red gas desync and the thing where you respawn far into the red gas will still remain unresolved for now.

Now I'm honestly getting a little worried as well about the speed with which they're able to address bugs with this level of severity for the core gameplay and frequency of occurrence. For me personally it's OK; as a programmer I understand that when you design complex systems with lots of variables there will be bugs, and that they can be tricky to debug and that you can't really give a fix ETA before figuring out the cause - but right now we don't whether this will be resolved in the next patch after the one on the 8th, nor do we even know when the next patch window will be.

Back when Apex launched I was so in love with the game that I just kept playing although it for months would randomly disconnect you every few matches with no option to reconnect, and the whole game usually hard crashed several times a day. To me the Bloodhunt bugs are pretty minor in comparison (although they are for sure pretty loving annoying), but I don't think this kind of patience for jank is for everyone. Even if I am willing to deal with this bullshit, it won't help if I'm alone in doing so, considering this is an online multiplayer game.

I think it's pretty challenging running a live service game from a Nordic country like Sweden to be honest, at least with the expectations gamers will have from seeing the output from large American/multinational corporations. I'm not Swedish so I had to look this up, but their working hours act dictates that regular working hours may not exceed 40 hours a week, and with overtime there's a max limit of 48 hours total. I will assume there are also laws regarding the max amount of legal overtime within a month and within the span of a year like we have here in Norway that further limit this.

It's pretty much not possible to do crunch here. When the workday is over everyone will go home, and that's that.

Hiring practices will make it challenging too. You can't just "add more devs", because after interviews are done and you have decided on who to hire, they'll still be working at their previous employer for a two or three month period before they're released from their previous contract and can come to your offices to begin onboarding. I'm sure Sharkmob is hiring right now but it won't have any effect for half a year or so.

As for why they can't patch more frequently, I would assume this is because they're on PS5 in addition to PC. When you release on console you don't get to just release updates for your game, everything needs to go through certification processes, external QA and so on. They can't patch PC more frequently either because of crossplay, as the client versions will need to be kept updated in parallel. Today's patch notes say that the update has been completed (and it's probably been done since before today as well honestly), so I'm sure hell they'd ship this right away if the game was still PC exclusive, but as it's not they need to adhere to the patch window mandated by Sony here. Pretty unfortunate when there's still so much to be resolved.

All in all I will say I still really enjoy playing this game and will keep doing so but I am starting to worry about its ability to stay alive like this.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
yeah the entire community seems very doom and gloom so im trying to adopt the attitude of just enjoying it while it's here. Live service is just a hard nut to crack for most developers it seems. Those that do tend to have massive support (apex and ea like you said, but even Destiny/Bungie had to hitch themselves with Activision for awhile)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If any devs are listening, put in a full PvE mode with a solo bloodhunt or trio of players. I'd keep buying dumb pretty boy vamp cosmetics for years.

I mean, hell, they already had that cultist mechanic (which I haven't seen since launch).

Edit: and the console playerbase has fallen off a cliff. This ain't looking great. Less overall active players than FO76 and for a F2P game those are absolutely atrocious numbers. Game probably won't make it to season 4 without a major uplift in playercounts.

Yikes.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 6, 2022

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
New update hit and I spent awhile on PS5 testing it out.

No real changes to aim assist whatsoever. They did slow down the ADS movement but there's zero snap to or assist. The few people left on console hoping that things would improve with this patch are going to be sorely disappointed.

With the abysmal player numbers, I don't think this will live to see 2023 unless someone decides to invest heavily into improving the game and adding additional features, all the while taking a massive monetary loss. I don't see it happening, but stranger things have happened in the gaming space.

Edit: just realized they are wholly owned by Tencent so there's a lot of money to burn there. Still don't think the flagging player numbers will let this game survive for more than a year, but hey, anything is possible.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 8, 2022

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Played quite a few hours after the patch dropped and had a good time. Really enjoyed the shotguns being kicked down a notch as they were insane until today, especially double barrel. The Enforcer marble nerf didn't seem that significant, but not having them drop out of invincibility at will and two-shot you in an instant with the barrel is much appreciated.

I haven't tried Bloodhunt with controller so I have no ability to comment on whether the changes were good or not, but controller player reception seems quite mixed. Some are very happy while others ^^^ not so much. Did you want it to snap? I think I'd prefer it to just assist with adjusting acceleration to avoid over/undershooting targets in a game as fast paced as this. I've played a lot of Apex on controller and it's extremely frustrating when the aim assist locks onto someone I'm not trying to shoot and pulls the whole camera towards them instead of what I'm trying to do. With the gameplay pacing in Bloodhunt I can't really imagine any controller aiming implementation that wouldn't drive me mad, but I hope Sharkmob can figure it out for you guys.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Ya this update was a complete joke. It didn't address ANY of the issues with the game or fix any of the bugs, what the hell was even the point of this patch? They changed a lot of stuff that nobody gave a poo poo about, because those were easy to do (like nerfing the life steal on melee). And said the important issues were "more difficult than you would think to fix". No, actually they aren't. Unless you are just complete trash at coding. There's a reason that no other FPS game in the world has an issue where you simply can't reload your loving gun...

This game had a decent concept but it's just going to die now because of the incompetent devs. Can't say they don't deserve it

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 9, 2022

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Still playing. I've got about 15 levels of BP left so I'll be poopsocking this weekend probably. They're adding a TDM mode and addressing some bugs:
https://bloodhunt.com/en-us/news/what-is-going-on-with-bloodhunt-part-two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Yo1MdUmd4

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I'm still playing too, ended up getting way too addicted to this game. Have well over 100 hours clocked and ran out of BP grind a good while back so I went on to grinding through all the achievements.

The 25 crossbow kills one was the hardest for me personally and started out as pure suffering, but then the Stockholm syndrome must've kicked in at some point because I started really enjoying the crossbows. If I stumble upon a purple crossbow now I always pick it up because it's fun as hell, absolutely brutal if you hit spot on, and people tend to freak out when a crossbow psycho attacks because who even does that? Would love a gold crossbow with even faster reload at some point.

Really glad that the reload and gas desync bugs will finally be fixed, and think TDM sounds like a great way to let newer players learn how to fight instead of them just getting instantly shipped back to the lobby for hours.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I swear sometimes it feels like I absolutely did enough to down someone, nothing happens then they turn around and wink at me and all my health is gone. The strange thing is I know I've been on the other side too, downing someone in what feels like a flash. I may just be reading damage numbers wrong or something.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Patch notes for season 2 dropped:

https://bloodhunt.com/en-us/news/bloodhunt-summer-update-patch-notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vviM8CbxEvw

Really liking the balance changes nerfing Enforcer and Vandal, as well as the solid buff to Siren which has really had it rough so far. Saboteur's Sewer Bomb I'm not sure really needed the buffs it got, but I guess this will make the character more approachable for newer players. Some map changes and new weapons (albeit melee ones) too.

I was just looking forward to playing the game with the reload bug and gas desync gone, but it seems like lots of cool changes will be shipping tomorrow - pretty excited to be playing it now. :yotj:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Solid changes though I thought the issue with blinding beauty was less the amount of damage it did and more how it feels like a lifetime to cast. Excited to try TDM tomorrow.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Tokubetsu posted:

Solid changes though I thought the issue with blinding beauty was less the amount of damage it did and more how it feels like a lifetime to cast. Excited to try TDM tomorrow.

To be honest I wasn't even aware that Blinding Beauty did damage until Monday when I happened to die to it. I think more than doubling the damage output to compensate for the casting time is a more interesting choice than just making it come out faster, requiring some thinking ahead instead of just being a reactionary panic button like Flesh of Marble. For offensive Siren players at least I think it will empower them a lot, as 50 damage on top of blinding will give a really solid start to pushes.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
That's definitely a bit more in line with how I played siren the first time I tried the game lol. Maybe it's time to go back tot hat.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
I found out Blinding Beauty does damage by casting it on the ground, in a fight, and accidentally got a civvie with it ;).

Pumped to see new patches and balance changes.

Changes:
All the Camarilla Caches now require a key to be opened. You will need to find this in Prague, adding a bit of challenge in finding the rarer weapons. This makes matches less predictable and requires a bit more exploration when it comes to finding the best weapons.

Nice, that should change map positioning a bit.

Also TDM might be a bit.. annoying:
There’s currently no join-in-progress or autobalancing to handle players leaving during a match.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I also do hope the patch magically increases performance a thousand fold...im on the low end and could use the boost (i know, im dreaming).

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
The summer patch dropped. TDM is fun, but can be a bit frustrating if you go up against a bunch of people above your skill level. It doesn't help that people can drop from TDM, so if you lose badly, it snowballs into 8 vs 4.

Still frantic though, you can die in a few seconds if you jump into a 3 vs 1.

Since I'm not good at aiming I am Having a lot of fun with dual crossbows.

Edit: I haven't noticed a performance increase, but I don't pay attention to many of those things.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
September update incoming tomorrow:
https://bloodhunt.com/en-us/news/september-update-patch-notes

Crackdown on cheaters and matchmaking tuned to make it easier for newcomers, sounds good to me.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Hopefully it takes. I actually didn't finish the summer pass because I was too impatient to wait for games =/

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Kind of necroing the thread I guess, but this game has been pretty good lately.

They added in bots to the solo/duo matches so if the match doesn't find people quickly (1 minute for solo queue, 2 and half minutes for duo queue) it fills the remaining spots with bots. This has had a pretty healthy impact on the player numbers because now new players checking out the game actually stick around because they can get into matches. And even though every match only has like 15ish human players and the rest are bots, you still get tense standoffs against humans in the late game so what does it really matter if the early kills are lovely bots.
The current battlepass is also free, so you can get a lot of coins for cosmetics and they've opened up the store to feature a lot more cosmetics at once.

If anyone was playing this before and bounced off because of the extremely long matchmaking times, I encourage you to check it out again. The playerbase has been steadily growing since october, and while I'm sure that will level out long before it gets remotely close to the launch playerbase, its in a much better state than it's been for a long time.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Mainly a solo player here and I'm still digging it. The hardest thing was the longish queue times before they added the bots. Players who are good are still really good but I love so much of the atmosphere of the game. Kinda over BR as a genre but I love this and Apex a lot. The soundtracks are also great:
https://open.spotify.com/track/0XpLZgbIeleWSSJfZobhT7?si=92f0bba4a08347c5

steamcharts game seems to be gaining a little bit of a base now instead of outright dying, a bit weird but we'll see how it goes

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 7, 2023