Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

ArfJason posted:

when i was a kid i once went to an acquaintance? friend? of my dad's. dude had a huge rear end house, you can tell he was very high class. dinner was fancy, cutlery was fine, but before all that, we had to wait while poo poo was getting cooked. dad and his friend talked about boring poo poo a kid would never understand so they told me this guy's kid had a playstation. I went to his room. I dont remember much about the room or the kid, but he said he had Crash Team Racing, and asked if I wanted to play.
You know how youre friends with other kids who clearly dont spend nearly as much time playing games, but still invite you over and you decimate them? And CTR, you know its mario kart, you do drifts and do miniturbos and just chain them over and over while avoiding some items from the enemies. By that point ive beaten the game a billion times and learned how to never stop boosting on every track.
I was like "i dunno, im pretty good at this one, it might be unfair"
He replied "Oh dont worry, I'm pretty good too"
I still cant remember if i won or not. Maybe im supressing the memory for the sake of my ego, but i genuinely cant remember. I'm inclined to say I lost nearly all the races but id be lying by saying that too. This kid was absolutely *insane*, every race was edge of my seat. I underestimated him and it was like a shonen battle in my mind back then lmao. and I dont remember a single thing about him, his dad, their names, the place, the date, or any info i could give to my dad that might help know who he was. I like to think hes still out there doing Dante Must Die S Ranks and getting the highest ranks in CS and LoL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

arf that was awesome. i thought you were going to say you whipped his rear end..i say submit your story to unsolved mysteries and lets see if we can get you guys reunited

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

A guy in primary school would invite me over to his house a lot to play Tekken but I'd say I was busy as he was kind of weird and we both lived in the countryside so if I got a lift to his house id have to stay there a few hours. I eventually agreed to go over and play tekken tag tournament with him because he said he was really good at it and had all the unlocks so he could just copy it to a memory card for me.

I don't play fighting games so when I'd play tekken I'd just button mash or I learned a few easy moves with Hworang and I mainly liked playing in training mode and having the computer do the long combos so I could see what they look like. The first fight I won a round then he won the next two but kept saying he was rusty. Then he proceeded to perfect ko me every time and after every round he'd do like the shawshank redemption pose and growl before yelling "I have awakened"

lol but trust me, there are worse ways to lose at Tekken.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

To his credit he duplicated the memory card data! So for my word I did get all the unlocks like devil and ogre which was cool

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bicyclops posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

ljmfao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bicyclops posted:

:bisonyes:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

insane anime posted:

arf that was awesome. i thought you were going to say you whipped his rear end..i say submit your story to unsolved mysteries and lets see if we can get you guys reunited

if anything id like to know where that house was and who they are so that its not some memory completely unanchored to anything, floating in my head. Also lol i wish i could tell you i hosed him up but alas

Bicyclops posted:

lmfao

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
iateyourpie

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peaT7jzUtNY&t=200s timestamp

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

No one knows who the first WoW player to discover that you could infect a pet with Hakkar’s ‘corrupted blood’ spell and dismiss it before eventually summoning it again in the middle a city to cause a plague that wiped out players for days at a time was, but whoever they were they’re a true legend

Following up on this: whoever was the first player(s) to discover that you could use a group of hunters to kite Kazzak into Stormwind and spend the next several hours wiping out everyone in the city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0VWJdE01M

I watched the original Google Video upload of this exact video in summer ‘05 and it singlehandedly convinced me to start playing this game lol.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Following up on this: whoever was the first player(s) to discover that you could use a group of hunters to kite Kazzak into Stormwind and spend the next several hours wiping out everyone in the city

I watched the original Google Video upload of this exact video in summer ‘05 and it singlehandedly convinced me to start playing this game lol.

this, leeroy jenkins, and the funeral griefing are burned into my memory

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I don’t care how staged the Leeroy Jenkins video is, the way he yells it is loving funny as hell

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If we're talking MMO griefing there was a recent scam in FFXI where someone made a copy of this character:

Named the character "Odoro" and placed himself standing inside the NPCs model. Then they set up a script where they will auto accept any trade offers. Oboro is who you trade all the end game materials/items to to get them upgraded, and you trade to NPCs with the same system you use to trade to other players. So he stole hundreds of millions of gil in items and materials from people who weren't paying attention.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
People still play FFXI enough to run a scam?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

There's still one active server, which is where the scam was run. All the other servers are pretty much ghost towns.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

mbt posted:

this, leeroy jenkins, and the funeral griefing are burned into my memory

I saw a promo for a Leeroy Jenkins-themed Hearthstone deck the other day and thought about how surreal it must be to make a goofy little joke video with your buddies to promote your raiding guild on the WoW forums and Blizzard is still monetizing it almost two decades later

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I don’t care how staged the Leeroy Jenkins video is, the way he yells it is loving funny as hell

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Kongming posted:

If we're talking MMO griefing there was a recent scam in FFXI where someone made a copy of this character:

Named the character "Odoro" and placed himself standing inside the NPCs model. Then they set up a script where they will auto accept any trade offers. Oboro is who you trade all the end game materials/items to to get them upgraded, and you trade to NPCs with the same system you use to trade to other players. So he stole hundreds of millions of gil in items and materials from people who weren't paying attention.

Lmao cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kongming posted:

Lmao awesome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kongming posted:

that rules

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

Kongming posted:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kongming posted:

he deserves every penny

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

lol awesome

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kongming posted:

lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kongming posted:

Lol