Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

super sweet best pal posted:

That and we slowly lose members every year. We should probably rethink the paid forum model.

even if it is the case that the decline in members never stops until the place is like one of those still blinking dead stars, i dunno if there's a good case for making any changes. that would probably just hasten the decline. if you open the forums so anybody can register and post, you'll get a bunch of trash people coming in which turn off the current posters. those trash people would then get bored and leave and the current posters would also be gone. it just gets you to the eventual living death scenario quicker.

you can't funnel people back here the same way you could 20 years ago. that's not going to change regardless of what you do. trying to ape other formats or lower the barrier of entry is just going to kill whatever distinctiveness the place has that has kept it as active as it is, long past when almost all other forums are complete husks or no longer exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Noblesse Obliged posted:

this is actually a tontine. eventually we will begin gathering a funerals and side eyeing each other wondering who will be the next to go

The flying helldumpers

Last one to survive gets the key to the servers

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

this is actually a tontine. eventually we will begin gathering a funerals and side eyeing each other wondering who will be the next to go

Id like to gather at bath houses and side eye each other wondering who will be the next to 'go'

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Does it matter?

Are you here because you're some Jame Spader or Andrew McCarthy 80's character? , Just here because you thought it was "the spot" right now?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They banned all the funny posters enough times to stop them from rereging. Now it’s just people who fly under the radar missing our lost comedy gold

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
ha! ha! i'm using the internet!!!1

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

because of OPs like you OP, recycling old OPs.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i think it's often overlooked that there are still tons of lurkers that read the special interest forums (especially games)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

roomtone posted:

even if it is the case that the decline in members never stops until the place is like one of those still blinking dead stars, i dunno if there's a good case for making any changes. that would probably just hasten the decline. if you open the forums so anybody can register and post, you'll get a bunch of trash people coming in which turn off the current posters. those trash people would then get bored and leave and the current posters would also be gone. it just gets you to the eventual living death scenario quicker.

you can't funnel people back here the same way you could 20 years ago. that's not going to change regardless of what you do. trying to ape other formats or lower the barrier of entry is just going to kill whatever distinctiveness the place has that has kept it as active as it is, long past when almost all other forums are complete husks or no longer exist.

Market segmentation is the answer here. We need a new hip forums with a new brand that is distinct from SA and could attract younger people while also not pissing off the current user base. Something without reg fees and that has a forum for tiktoks. There we can slowly ungroom them into real goons. A cool name could be

- SomethingAwful21
- Awfulr
- Goonr
- Somethingr
- Stargate

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

it's a meme op, hth

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nobody says it's dead, they say it's "dead gay", which is slang for cool and hip.

for example: bro, those are some sick cargo shorts, they are straight up dead gay!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If we actually manage to introduce that to common parlance I could die happy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:sax:"I know my ex-boyfriend lies
Oh he does it every time
It's just his permanent disguise
Yeah yeah but he's dead gay gorgeous":bravo2:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

By popular demand posted:

If we actually manage to introduce that to common parlance I could die happy.

But then future generations would think the dad in Heathers is calling his son cool.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Because wee also look back to a time that was not like it is now, and joke about it, however the now we all live in is full of too many things we don't understand.
in the future there will be no classrooms, all learning will be done via tic-toc, the students will reward the best explanations with fresh artisanal memeys

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
there's nothing special about these forums, it's just that it used to be the case that "most" people on the internet were like, on a fundamental level, interested in engaging with others in discussion, and every year the internet becomes more and more of a hellish extension of hypercapitalism and less of a tool for chilling with other people

even though there are probably about the same number of people who want to chill and talk, there's no real way for them to find this place, or any other forum

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
and also, there are a lot of bullies online, including here, and their existance deters anyone else from posting except for people who are as enormousy dumb as me

it's like clockwork, i even know what theyre gonna reply to this post. its so boring haha

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

I say for one day we let anyone register, for free. And then we hold forums Purge. Whoever has that regdate and survives not being banned/probed the longest gets a free account. Everyone else: dumped into the cancer ward until they gently caress off or smarten up.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I support this idea, except that we let everyone keep their account.
Until they get banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hakkesshu posted:

SA might not be fully dead, but Lowtax is

:iceburn: