Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if you want to see the actual thing without some dude pausing every minute to talk over it, you can find it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cm8Ghjhxew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

Kith posted:

if you want to see the actual thing without some dude pausing every minute to talk over it, you can find it here

Tasteless isn't "some dude!!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Kith posted:

Do we see anything from the actual game?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
No. Removing Tasteless just leaves a video of people talking. The video is probably better if all the non-Tasteless parts were removed.

Fully on brand for David Kim to think Macro was the worst part of RTS games. His game has no hope.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

didn't everyone hate david kim and thought he ruined starcraft 2? why are people excited for his next game all of a sudden?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Kith posted:

I never liked the macro mechanics in Starcraft 2. It's funny to hear that the reason they exist is because the controls improved and you could select multiple buildings and units so there needed to be "an annoyance" to offset the benefit for "reasons".

I will admit that one thing that was mentioned in the video that has me intrigued is from 20:57* where it's mentioned that they want to tackle the monotony of the start of RTS matches where you end up doing roughly similar things. That's always been something I've wanted to see be improved. My idea was either using planned "blueprints" or automation so that you can focus your attention elsewhere instead of waiting for X resource so you can build Y right away. Or just have a robust UI that allows queuing up future commands without needing to pay upfront costs.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cm8Ghjhxew&t=1257s

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SA Forums Poster posted:

Tasteless isn't "some dude!!"

sure, but there are a lot of other Some Dudes who did, ergo my posting of the original

dipwood posted:

Fully on brand for David Kim to think Macro was the worst part of RTS games. His game has no hope.

idk about this given that one of the nicest things about stormgate is how much macro has been cut for QoL

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Red Red Blue posted:

didn't everyone hate david kim and thought he ruined starcraft 2? why are people excited for his next game all of a sudden?

They did lol, "David Kim pls" was practically the subtitle of SC2 during his tenure. Then he left and everyone got nostalgic for him, pretty much same as Ghostcrawler and WoW.

And yeah pretty much all the upcoming crop of games (SG, ZeroSpace, David Kim's Big Adventure, there are a few more minor ones that I am forgetting because I don't pay attention to them) agree that continuing to smooth out macro is a net good for the genre. Should they all flop, I think we can definitively put that argument to bed.

Ironically I think the first sort of good move in the direction towards making early game suck less was increasing the starting worker count in LotV. People bitched and moaned that was cutting off a lot of early game cheeses and while it did reduce them a bit it was nowhere near as apocalyptic as people thought it would be. I think its hard to tease out what degree the explosive nature of LotV economies vs the growth of player skill have on restricting the totality of meta options but I'd point to both of those before starting workers. It also means that sc2 now has you solidly in the midgame at 4 minutes and the late game at 10 instead of 10/15.

Personally I don't really care much one way or the other. Having really crisp injects in sc2 feels great, but chronoboost and mules/scans really aren't really direct payoffs in game and don't scratch that itch for me. I also get the tension they must be feeling between the need to attract new players while catering to the people who've stuck it out for years. Ironically Brood War enthusiasts are the biggest obstacle to the genre's success in the eyes of normies. Whenever I was casting stuff and doing content production on the side, the number one reaction I got from normies and twitch chat randos who played casually as a kid was "woah I thought you had to be a Korean teenager on adderall to be even good" which is both hilariously false and keeps a lot of people from ever trying the genre in the first place. I don't think simplifying macro actually fixes this problem, but I don't know how any single dev actually solves that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gotta push more AoE2 tournaments where Daut wins