Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How excited are you?
SUPER!
Looks fun
eh
View Results

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

dipwood posted:

We have a mostly dead goon discord for Starcraft 2, but it can be used to talk about and organize games of ZeroSpace and Stormgate as well, for those who kickstarted it and gotten in through one of the recent waves. I'm assuming I can link to the goon sc2 discord here, if not let me know:

https://discord.gg/z5XXa95fTf

From the makers of Starcraft, Starcraft: Broodwar, Starcraft 2, Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm, Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void, Warcraft, Warcraft 2, and Warcraft 3:

Frost Giant presents:

Stormgate!

https://twitter.com/PlayStormgate/status/1536090976275509248

https://playstormgate.com/

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Don't forget to add it to your Steam wishlist:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2012510/Stormgate/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Is it true that carbot made the logo for them?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The few glimpses of gameplay look fun, but I think it was a mistake to announce the game at such an early state where they had nothing much to show.
I'm a big competitive SC2 fan, but it was weird that the entire segment was showing clips of SC2, and talking about which features would be similar. There was very little mention of Stormgate itself

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Is it true that carbot made the logo for them?

Yes.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The GiantGrantGames video on Stormgate was really measured and good. I recommend his videos in general.

He mentioned that they have 35 million in the bank and want to start close beta in Summer 23'. That seems extremely ambitious, considering they haven't even decided how many races will be in the game. I also worry that they'll run out of money, $35m for a AAA game seems like...not a lot.

I also hope they make the graphics less "mobile" looking. I get that they want it to be readable, but PC games can get a little grittier considering your screen is so much bigger. We'll see!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I had assumed that the budget was low/mid tier, and not anywhere near AAA.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Yea I’m not expecting this to have the polish of SC2, at least not at launch. It’s a brand new studio that has to rebuild all of their dev tools and processes from scratch. They’ll cut corners where they can.

They’re VC funded and I don’t see more money coming to them pre-launch in the current economic environment. They gotta produce with what they’ve got and I think that’s why we’re seeing them really ramp up their timeline.

I’m very excited. It’ll probably be very rough around the edges at first but they seem to have the right team in place and the entire sc2 fanbase, casters, and pros all seem primed to switch over at launch.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Trillhouse posted:

The GiantGrantGames video on Stormgate was really measured and good. I recommend his videos in general.

He mentioned that they have 35 million in the bank and want to start close beta in Summer 23'. That seems extremely ambitious, considering they haven't even decided how many races will be in the game. I also worry that they'll run out of money, $35m for a AAA game seems like...not a lot.

I also hope they make the graphics less "mobile" looking. I get that they want it to be readable, but PC games can get a little grittier considering your screen is so much bigger. We'll see!

In the interview with feardragon, I think they said its going to be a season format, like you pay for a season and you got additional Coop commanders, skins, single player campaigns. He even said they are planning on releasing additional races, adding or subtracting units during patches.

I've been trying to follow them as much as possible, and I got the impression that unit design and the art stuff was the last thing to develop. They were focusing on unit pathing, AI, gameplay.

They probably could have waited 6 months to do this announcement, so that they could have had a better gameplay trailer. I bet they are trying to increase their social following and steam wishlist so that they can show their investors "look X,XXX,XXX number of people follow us on steam, you can give us more money now"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Winter's interview with lead designer Kevin Dong (who was lead designer for SC2 coop mode) was extremely good: https://youtu.be/A8dc3JJjQcY

Solid analysis, largely good solutions (to the extent that he could reveal anything). Occasionally went deeper than I was expecting, like talking about the impact of unit density on lethality and how they want air units to be more specialized because some in SC2 are too generically good (looking at you, carrier).

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

2.5 hours :lol: Interview from Artosis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD9yyOCkHAY

The questions focus on 1v1 and Esports.

Sounds like Stormgate is mainly Warcraft3 combined with Broodwar.
Minor powered hero units, respawning creeper things to kill (?)
2 resources to collect (main mineral type, and tech vespene gas type)
the different races will collect resources in different ways (?)
Workers are more like broodwar, diminishing returns, no perfect number of workers per mineral patch

Artosis: smart casting ruined SC2 and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
Stormgage: yeah, we are going to have smart casting in the game.
Artosis: oh ok, next question.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I love Artosis as much as the next guy, but anyone who tried to make BW today would be throwing money out of the window. A lot of that game design is archaic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The Blizzard RTS might be my least favourite take on the genre, but I had fun with SC2's coop mode and it sounds like they're just lifting that wholesale. Plus, free is free and there isn't exactly a glut of RTS games out, though the horizon does look a little brighter than it has for years...

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 17, 2022

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Mordja posted:

The Blizzard RTS might be my least favourite take on the genre, but I had fun with SC2's coop mode and it sounds like they're just lifting that wholesale. Plus, free is free and there aren't exactly a glut of RTS games out, though the horizon does look a little brighter than it has for years...

Exactly this.

Catching lightning like Bliz has done is going to be really tricky, but this looks promising.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
All I want is a game like Starcraft with an infinite autobuilding unit queue. Maybe they'll do it here. Probably not though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i can not overstate enough how much i think prioritizing all development around 1v1 is, like, the worst possible idea. similar to trying to remake broodwar in 2022, it's just not what 99% of people want to play. Just make the dang game fun and let people play with their buds and then there will be some leftover idiots/freaks who want to grind out 1v1. then in a month or two we can make them fight eachother for our entertainment

to be clear, I don't think they're tunnel visioning 1v1 at all, but I just get worried every time i hear rts grognards talk about 1v1

Mordja posted:

The Blizzard RTS might be my least favourite take on the genre, but I had fun with SC2's coop mode and it sounds like they're just lifting that wholesale. Plus, free is free and there isn't exactly a glut of RTS games out, though the horizon does look a little brighter than it has for years...

there's so much cool stuff from other RTS games that they could pull into a co-op mode that I hope makes it in.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 17, 2022

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
SC2's coop mode is the best thing about it, so I'm willing to give this a chance, even if Stormgate is just about the most generic name you could call something. Just add on "Rising" or "Guardians."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Wardens of the Stormgate

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i can not overstate enough how much i think prioritizing all development around 1v1 is, like, the worst possible idea. similar to trying to remake broodwar in 2022, it's just not what 99% of people want to play. Just make the dang game fun and let people play with their buds and then there will be some leftover idiots/freaks who want to grind out 1v1. then in a month or two we can make them fight eachother for our entertainment

to be clear, I don't think they're tunnel visioning 1v1 at all, but I just get worried every time i hear rts grognards talk about 1v1

there's so much cool stuff from other RTS games that they could pull into a co-op mode that I hope makes it in.

Yeah the only strategy games I put any real time into multiplayer were DOW2 and COH2 (looking forward to 3 from the beta) and those were strictly team games.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Mordja posted:

Yeah the only strategy games I put any real time into multiplayer were DOW2 and COH2 (looking forward to 3 from the beta) and those were strictly team games.

You're in luck, they are heavily developing 3v3 mode.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

In terms of sheer content 1v1 is like the least demanding mode to develop. You don't want to add new units very often -- and at the start you can basically just take a subset of whatever you made for campaign -- and after the initial launch you can expect community people to make all the new maps.

It's probably the trickiest mode balance-wise, but even there you could probably outsource a lot of that to the community, as SC2 has recently done.

Having a good 1v1 mode is useful because having an eSports scene is good for marketing purposes, even if it doesn't have the potential to reach as large of a mass market as coop.

quote:

Just make the dang game fun and let people play with their buds and then there will be some leftover idiots/freaks who want to grind out 1v1. then in a month or two we can make them fight eachother for our entertainment
drat dude, did 1v1 kill your dog or something?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I figured that post was over the top enough that no one would take it too seriously.

I like 1v1 and I look forward to playing it and watching it. I've also watched RTS after RTS burn itself out chasing the mythical 1v1 rts and while it may be the simplest to develop, it also seems to be the simplest one to gently caress up and then have your game just die 6 months later. I like the mode but I think it is the literal antithesis of 'if you build it they will come' which studio after studio has been willing to bet on, nearly all of them unsuccessfully.

That said, from what they've said in interviews I think their approach is a good balance wrt using finite development resources. I also really hope that they can get another good round of funding before launch so they have to make fewer hard choices about what to put resources into.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think serious mode ladder play is fine as one of the three pillars (melee, custom games, campaign). Four pillars now, with open-ended coop.

Maybe some games have overemphasized it, but I haven't really seen much of that. Games still usually have a campaign too, and the bigger ones some kind of custom map editor (AoE4 finally got theirs right?). I feel like teams talking up "eSports" is like when property developers label some new apartment complex "luxury", it's just a marketing thing. Saying "eSports" sounds more exciting than "yes, we have the standard, expected melee format with automatch". It doesn't necessarily mean they've actually changed their resource allocation much.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah I'd agree entirely that it works as a pillar and imo that's a particularly good way of describing how it relates to other ways of playing the game.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/PlayStormgate/status/1549859134962425856

more samples for the art style

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Your post was joking but I really won't play or watch 1v1. It's just not something I've ever done in Warcraft 2/3 or Starcraft or SC2. SC2 co-op was kind of fun but custom maps were always where it was at for me. Everything else is basically an excuse to make art to use in tower defense maps.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Khanstant posted:

Your post was joking but I really won't play or watch 1v1. It's just not something I've ever done in Warcraft 2/3 or Starcraft or SC2. SC2 co-op was kind of fun but custom maps were always where it was at for me. Everything else is basically an excuse to make art to use in tower defense maps.

I've played a TON of Desert Strike, so fun when you don't have to micro your army :D

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
In contrast, I watch exclusively 1v1 and love the comp scene.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/LeaderGrev/status/1641878400217370641

Whoa, the Washington Post!

The Beta is suppose to be out this year.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

https://twitter.com/PlayStormgate/status/1658962696132521984

Cicero posted:

Frost Giant just announced that they'll start closed external pre-alpha testing for Stormgate in July, it'll be under NDA but they said they'll at least show off gameplay before that starts: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormgate/comments/13jroe1/stormgate_closed_testing_update/

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i signed up for the beta. (playstormgate.com is the link)

i hope this game is good. I just want a good traditional RTS.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Trillhouse posted:

i hope this game is good. I just want a good traditional RTS.

:same:
I'm pretty tired of playing Starcraft2, I'm ready for a new one.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

This will probably suck but I wanna play it

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This will probably suck but I wanna play it

[Starcraft Energy]
The only thing that will suck worse than this game is me playing it.
[/Starcraft Energy]

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

:same:
I'm pretty tired of playing Starcraft2, I'm ready for a new one.
Large team games in SC2 are the least stupid they've ever been right now, thanks to the carrier interceptor priority change. It's now way easier to kill carriers with vikings or tempests, and carriers were the most broken unit in big team games, in terms of general power relative to how hard they were to counter.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Their comms guy recently said they're now around 60 people total by the way. Not AAA by modern standards, but still a decently sizable team for one game.

Some other stuff that's happened in the time this thread has been dead.

Funny critter animation: https://twitter.com/i/status/1620873316281229312

Valentine's day teaser of a building with custom skin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv4LEV8TI9Y

Same video but easier to hear the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKMY-oTngGU

Some concept art:

Cicero fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 19, 2023

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
sc2 coop mode owns. make a game like that.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I kinda dig this.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Pladdicus posted:

sc2 coop mode owns. make a game like that.
They're doing that except with 3-person teams instead of 2-person. Also they're making the campaign mode support co-op (they haven't said how many people).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So it’s only 2 factions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's at least three factions for full release, but only two have been revealed (and only one is ready for the start of closed testing).