Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've said it before and I'll say it again: MS asks Inxile to make Fallout Tactics 2 using Wasteland 3 tech as a new topdown Fallout side-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tiny Timbs posted:

There is absolutely no way BGS is capable of handling a job where Microsoft tells them to ship a mainline Fallout game in 2 years or less so I'm gonna have my popcorn ready for that one

Doing the New Vegas approach again could work well for them, though.

Yeah, option #2 there is basically MS looking at BGS's train wreck and cleaning house under the guise of an expansion. Split up current teams, insert a bunch of new people, get new project leadership on board, and basically grow a new studio in the husk of the old one. Most of the old guard that was responsible for the older titles are gone anyways,.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
MS has been less than able to get their well-liked studios getting decent games out for how many years now? Grounded is Obsidian, released to EA, wasn't bad but there have been no big hits or solid winners for a while.

Halo Infinite has gotten better etc. but right now, it looks like MS bought a lot of companies and don't know what to do with them... Or they've been sold stuff past its expiration date.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

I am finally getting my city maps!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's zero loving way they don't strike while Fallout is actually a somewhat mass-appealing property. I'd be surprised if there aren't some very terse meetings between MS and BGS regarding their pace for another FO game.

They already struck in the most Bethesda way possible- by breaking their own game with an update nobody wanted. Even the console players are meh on it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neither Bethesda nor anyone else can make a game to capitalize on the TV show, it takes 4-6 years to make a modern AAA game.

I don't want any game dev to lose their job but this modern practice of making AAA games that require the better part of a decade to release has got to stop, it's getting to the point that good games that were commercial successes don't get sequels until the entire industry/hobby is fundamentally in a different place, it's ludicrous.

We need better management, or less visual fidelity, or both, because in last ten or so years it's gotten worse and worse and the decision to double down on middling games to make back the AAA investment in either scale, or through GASS, has been absolutely poisonous.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

Neither Bethesda nor anyone else can make a game to capitalize on the TV show, it takes 4-6 years to make a modern AAA game.

How long did Fallout Shelter take to develop? They absolutely don't have to make an AAA game to capitalize on the show. F2P mobile and microtransactions would do the job just fine.

Jack B Nimble posted:

less visual fidelity

I'm with you on that one, but snowball chance in hell that this is happening any time soon.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 30, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't want any game dev to lose their job but this modern practice of making AAA games that require the better part of a decade to release has got to stop, it's getting to the point that good games that were commercial successes don't get sequels until the entire industry/hobby is fundamentally in a different place, it's ludicrous.

We need better management, or less visual fidelity, or both, because in last ten or so years it's gotten worse and worse and the decision to double down on middling games to make back the AAA investment in either scale, or through GASS, has been absolutely poisonous.

I mean we can say that all we want (and I agree) but you only need to look at the console threads here to see how people respond to things that are viewed as even remotely subpar visually (let alone PC threads where it's inexcusable to run at less than 4K 120FPS with full ray tracing.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean we can say that all we want (and I agree) but you only need to look at the console threads here to see how people respond to things that are viewed as even remotely subpar visually (let alone PC threads where it's inexcusable to run at less than 4K 120FPS with full ray tracing.)

Eh, I think there's a pretty big disconnect between what the sort of people who spend all day talking about video games and computers online post vs. what's broadly acceptable.

FO4 is still fine as far as visuals go, and some basic poo poo that can be done via mods (higher res textures etc) goes a long way and could be rolled into a new game by a dev with zero problems. Hell, Starfield isn't exactly setting any new bars re: visuals and while some people have mentioned poo poo like the traditional Bethesda facial animation crappiness it's not the thing it's getting the most flak over, by a longshot.

If they wanted to churn something out a new game built in a modestly updated (textures etc) FO4 engine would go ta long way. Which is basically what NV was, but with 3's engine.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
All true, sadly what I think will happen/is currently happening is that to a large degree the industry of AAA will contract and we'll be forced to accept AA titles and rarer and even more tent poley AAAs.

The console thread can moan all it like, if the industry collapses you'll get less AAA games, and the industry is currently collapsing because these games keep taking longer and costing more.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Style is more important than fidelity, there's a lot of lower-tech games that I would say have much better graphics than Starfield but I'm also grading "better" by "has a unified art style that is good to look at" as opposed to "has the most triangles and largest textures"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

All true, sadly what I think will happen/is currently happening is that to a large degree the industry of AAA will contract and we'll be forced to accept AA titles and rarer and even more tent poley AAAs.

The console thread can moan all it like, if the industry collapses you'll get less AAA games, and the industry is currently collapsing because these games keep taking longer and costing more.

The industry isn't collapsing, but if you want to identify a crisis it's run of the mill venture capital vulture bullshit and games being designed by committee because they want to maximize appeal and in doing so appeal to no one. that Ubi pirate game that i've already forgotten the name of didn't bomb because it was too expensive to make, it bombed because it was a poo poo game with a poo poo design philosophy and poo poo gameplay. Starfield doesn't suck because Bethesda spent too much money on it, it sucks because of extremely basic failures in story telling and game design. Meanwhile Elden Ring wasn't awesome because it cost a billion dollars, it was awesome because the gameplay and environment were extremely on point (even if the story was the usual opaque fromsoft nonsense fight me).

Meanwhile the massive wave of layoffs and closures we're seeing right now boil down to 1) studios not being able to meet unrealistic shareholder demands of exponential growth forever 2) extremely mediocre games getting extremely mediocre receptions and attendant post-launch cutbacks as the parent company re-directs funds 3) the fallout from Embracer overreaching by comical degrees and falling flat on their faces when the Saudis decided they didn't want to buy them out.

The root problem is consolidation and massive corporations freaking out when a game isn't so successful that it blows their previously record breaking quarter out of the water.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I should maybe walk back using the world collapse, but I don't believe the industry is merely moving one step back from some untenable extreme of venture capital and covid over hiring; I think costs were out of control for years and the drying up of capital and the excessive hiring during covid only precipitated a crisis that was already coming. There's a fundamental problem in AAA video games that the more they cost and the less frequently they come out, the less stomach the publishers have for it, and the less willing they're going to be pay all that money.

Hell, Insomniac games made the recent Spiderman game, it was a success critically and financially, and they're still being hit with lay offs, because even though the game was a success they're still not happy with how much it cost (it cost three times the original to make).

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 30, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jack B Nimble posted:

In the past I would have agreed with you, but they can't make tv shows on a regular schedule anymore either. How long until season 2 of Fallout? 2 years from now? Many big streaming shows take at least a 2 year break. So if it takes 5 years to make Fallout 5 you're talking right around the 3rd season of the show.

of course that means postponing ESVI for the foreseeable future unless they make major changes in the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, well, I meant season one of fallout, not later seasons. Yeah if later seasons are just as well regarded that's different.