Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

if the laptop is intel 12th gen you need windows 11 for it to support the different performance and efficency cores properly

or

Tankakern posted:

install linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

though that too requires getting on a recent kernel (as in newer than what you get default with ubuntu 22.04)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

if the laptop is intel 12th gen you need windows 11 for it to support the different performance and efficency cores properly

lol. my it department doesn’t want us using windows 11

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I got a new laptop from work, X13 Thinkpad. The IT person warned that under no circumstances should it be turned on until I got home. Turning it on while connected to a work network would brick it and it would have to be re-imaged. I can’t imagine why that would possibly be the case, but ok.

That’s what I did, and switching it on not only does most of my stuff on Onedrive (per instructions) not exist, but complex software such as Acrobat Reader and Chrome is not installed, and the work Software Center (TM) fails to install anything. Java is not working and so I can’t use the clinical data review software. I don’t have a VPN application for accessing some if the internal systems.

I think my company’s IT team might not be the best.

Laptop seems ok though.

i would have turned it on connected to the work network right in front of that dumb gently caress

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I got a new laptop from work, X13 Thinkpad. The IT person warned that under no circumstances should it be turned on until I got home. Turning it on while connected to a work network would brick it and it would have to be re-imaged. I can’t imagine why that would possibly be the case, but ok.

That’s what I did, and switching it on not only does most of my stuff on Onedrive (per instructions) not exist, but complex software such as Acrobat Reader and Chrome is not installed, and the work Software Center (TM) fails to install anything. Java is not working and so I can’t use the clinical data review software. I don’t have a VPN application for accessing some if the internal systems.

I think my company’s IT team might not be the best.

Laptop seems ok though.

My company did something similar to me, I got a completely blank windows 10 installed laptop. The IT guy thought I was lying until I showed him my laptop.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

knox_harrington posted:

I got a new laptop from work, X13 Thinkpad. The IT person warned that under no circumstances should it be turned on until I got home. Turning it on while connected to a work network would brick it and it would have to be re-imaged.

what in the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

though that too requires getting on a recent kernel (as in newer than what you get default with ubuntu 22.04)

the initial alder lake fix (which was actually a trivial bit of code) was backported to 5.15 for LTS releases, so it's in ubuntu 22.04