Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I deal with a lot of these and I don’t like them. the keyboard feels mushy. the hinge is so stiff you can’t open the laptop with one hand. the trackpad is awful. screen is average I guess. I’m mostly talking about latitudes here but the xps isn’t much better. I much preferred when we were buying HPs and I’m really glad I got an elitebook while we were still deploying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I loving loathe my Z book and my elitebook before that hp can suck my trunk their poo poo is garbage. give me my xps that I demanded

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I dont mean to be dismissive op but:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dell more like smell amiright

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idg why everyone gets all horny for the xps

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

macbooks and thinkpads and maybe those panasonic toughbooks are the only laptops worth having imo

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I’d get horny over a laptop that’d actually work.

not have lovely memory failures, lovely graphic cards with drivers that corrupt with the lovely Citrix system I am forced to use, and make the laptop weigh half a ton.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have one and it's perfectly functional.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds kinda poo poo ngl

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

work just ordered me a new dell laptop to replace the one that I have that's only like 2 years old. the one I have now has a really loud fan

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i have an xps 15.

annoying with only one usb-c port, but i guess they might've fixed that in the later models

keyboard sucks, rest is ok. touchpad is one of the better ones? don't know why people whine over the touchpad, i'm betting it's windows and sucky drivers. works wonders with libinput in linux.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i still have a 5450 from $oldjob that never asked for it back. i guess i could use it as an ablative shield or something

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

business laptops from the big three OEMs are all the same. some are good, some are crap, which ones are which varies between models and manufacturers from year to year.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i initially got an XPS 15 to replace my ancient 2013 Acer, can confirm the keyboard is rear end

also it had an issue with the body machining tolerances such that the clickpad would get stuck down and continue sending button press events if you used the CPU a lot and the metal body expanded ever so slightly. returned that pos and got a thinkpad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

SO DEMANDING posted:

business laptops from the big three OEMs are all the same. some are good, some are crap, which ones are which varies between models and manufacturers from year to year.

the hp elitebook has been consistently good since 2017 and has only gotten better since

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hey, since this thread exists now, we might just well get something useful out of it!

what do you people use on new laptops that doesn't have 3.5 mm jack outputs? when i get my next laptop i'll need to have a proper headphone output with mic support and the works. is there a dongle i can get? some usb-c thingamajiggy?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

AirPods or a hyperx cloud headset

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

on second read I sorta misunderstood that. I think the dongle that comes with the hyperx can work with any headset though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maybe i have to invest in a proper small dac

weren't there a brand posted here recently that actually had linux support with firmwares and such?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

this is now the dac thread

i'm having trouble finding small dacs that has microphone input support

i think this is one https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Tankakern posted:

this is now the dac thread

yeah ... DORK rear end CRETINS!!@!!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm this one looks like it fits the bill

https://www.schiit-europe.com/product/fulla-4-dac-amp-for-gaming-and-everything-else/

and lol, the apple usb-c to 3.5 mm jack is also a capable dac, i might just buy that one instead. it should work in linux

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

indeed

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the knob on that dac :prepop:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the schiit fulla 4 huh

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

maybe i have to invest in a proper small dac

weren't there a brand posted here recently that actually had linux support with firmwares and such?

if there’s anyone here who can get sound to work on a laptop running linux it’s you. I believe in u

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

the schiit fulla 4 huh

the naming is intentional. they make solid dacs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tankakern posted:

hm this one looks like it fits the bill

https://www.schiit-europe.com/product/fulla-4-dac-amp-for-gaming-and-everything-else/

and lol, the apple usb-c to 3.5 mm jack is also a capable dac, i might just buy that one instead. it should work in linux

the apple cord is widely available and cheap, it was going to be my recommendation. i have never used it out of an apple ecosystem tho

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my work got me an hp laptop before I returned it for a MacBook Pro. the hp was unmitigated garbage. it had a dock with some proprietary connector, and the dock had a power button on it for the laptop because it wouldn’t just wake up from your mouse or keyboard. lol.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Tankakern posted:

new laptops that doesn't have 3.5 mm jack outputs?

wait what is this seriously a thing

even apple doesn't do that lmao

The Management posted:

my work got me an hp laptop before I returned it for a MacBook Pro. the hp was unmitigated garbage. it had a dock with some proprietary connector, and the dock had a power button on it for the laptop because it wouldn’t just wake up from your mouse or keyboard. lol.

before thunderbolt every dock was proprietary. and what's wrong with a power button, modern thunderbolt docks have them, too. laptop lid closed so just pres butan on dock.

not waking from sleep via mouse/keyboard was probably some hosed up bios or power setting so less an HP issue and more a PC in general issue.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I had the ultraslim dock in the past and no complaints. I set my laptop to always stay on when connected to ac though. and so it turns on when AC is detected so I would just slam it on the dock and bingo it would wake up.

the new thunderbolt dock is annoying because I have to plug it in and it doesn't count as plugging in the AC adapter so I have to wake the laptop up with the keyboard. still better than a dell though

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

thinkpads were out of stock until october so i got a dell instead, just delivered yesterday

its getting reimbursed so i don't really care as long as it works in linux

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tankakern posted:

i have an xps 15.

annoying with only one usb-c port, but i guess they might've fixed that in the later models

keyboard sucks, rest is ok. touchpad is one of the better ones? don't know why people whine over the touchpad, i'm betting it's windows and sucky drivers. works wonders with libinput in linux.

the xps15 i got (per my previous post) has two usbc and one usba

i actually went witg the xps15 because i had the smaller one (xps13?) for lastjob and its ports were so anaemic that you pretty much had to use a dock to get it usable. also the screen was a bit small for desk duty

so far the 15 seems fine for being tethered to a desk 99% of the time

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mediaphage posted:

the apple cord is widely available and cheap, it was going to be my recommendation. i have never used it out of an apple ecosystem tho

i have the apple one, and ive used it once on my work computer, which is a dell! worked fine with windows, plugged it in and it did the thing

idk about linux though

probably hard to beat for $7 or w/e

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

rotor posted:

macbooks and thinkpads and maybe those panasonic toughbooks are the only laptops worth having imo

the huawei matebooks are pretty sweet, too. they're like macbooks without the proprietary stuff

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i ordered the apple cord

guess i'll do a trip report later, maybe i need schiit in my life

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

poasting before shagger defends an xps or whatever garbage dell sells now

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

tazjin posted:

the huawei matebooks are pretty sweet, too. they're like macbooks without the proprietary stuff

are those the ones with the function-key mounted webcams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thinkpad x/t/p forever.