Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sorcerers. As compelling arguments go, it's hard to argue with a dancing bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Let's see how horrible it is to be toxically swole in the Bodyguard guild.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Black Robe posted:

Seconded

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'll be contrarian and vote for Holy OwOs.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Holy Roller time, show these weirdo berry-eaters what a real chosen can get up to!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Black Robe posted:

GodFish posted:

Seconded

Thirded for sorcerers. They seem the least creepy and the most fun. Also, that bat knows how to party.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm getting Geneforge vibes here. The berries are instead of canisters.

Same thing here. I suspected as much as soon as I heard the word 'Berry' with a capital 'B'; now I'm sure of it. Shades of Geneforge's canisters from a 3rd party before Jeff thought of it. Of course, the incredibly powerful consumable that has horrid consequences is a very popular theme in literature.

quote:

And who is Violin? I mean Vilonia

I would have gone with Viconia

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

JustJeff88 posted:

Thirded for sorcerers. They seem the least creepy and the most fun. Also, that bat knows how to party.
Sorcerers it is! Bodyguards second, with the Holy Ones third.

quote:

I would have gone with Viconia
:facedesk: Dammit! I wish I remembered that!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's interesting how the faction leaders seem to reverse the "triangle" of the factions. The leader of the Sorcerers suspects the Holy Ones and acts as a secondary quest giver for Bodyguards, for example. Presumably it was done so that your "opposed" faction's home city isn't dead to you, but it might be used to create plot beats down the line.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Live-action footage of Eugene and his family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHBxkQ5LxzA

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Scenario 4 - Tatterdemalion
Chapter 3 - The Sorcerer

"Well, no sense in holding out for a third... fourth option, I reckon. But honestly, which way to go? There's no real right answer, I suppose. The Holy Ones have issues with people who are not happy where they are, but can't escape. The Bodyguards have internal issues that need to be addressed, but I dunno...."

"On the third hand, the Sorcerers... well...."

Kacie posted:

Least obnoxious right off the bat (so to speak) are the Sorcerers.

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Sorcerers first. Eugene's with them, that seems reason enough.

Black Robe posted:

GodFish posted:

Seconded

JustJeff88 posted:

Black Robe posted:

Live-action footage of Eugene and his family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHBxkQ5LxzA

You all spoke with a very common reasoning.

"They love me! You love me! Let's to the Waltz!"

:sigh: "Might as well git."

"Well, have you chosen? Spoken to all?"

"Yes, yes I have. I am ready to make my choice."

Verena grows solemn, and a knowing look enters her eyes. "So, you have made your decision. Very well! Go to the southwestern area of the Grover, and enter the square of stones."

"Alrighty then. Meet you there?"

"In a sense. Go."

"You have made your decision. Good. Head down. Take your things with you or not, it makes no difference. And may you be happy with your choice."

"Thanks!"

"No, no, I wanted this."

"Well, aint't this all being ominous. A dark void, and a lit bridge."

"Huh, well now, given the last comment Vicona made, I assume you aren't the real Vecna standing in front of me?"

"Greetings," says the Nephil in front of you. "Welcome to the only place in the Universe where I see it is safe, now, to do this."

"Which, beggin' yer pardon, leads to the question of who are you?"

The Nephil nods. "I appreciate your caution. I am indeed Verena, and I can PROVE that I am the same being that you spoke to before."

"Sure would be nice to have some proof, seein' as how yer offerin."

"When you agreed to join one of the Groups, I spoke a word." She says the word, and you know it is the right one. "A word of power, one that is vital. The only ones who know what it means are myself and one other."

"I'm sorry, but what word?"

"Do not concern yourself with it. It is a magic word, and in completing the ritual, you will be made to forget it."

"Seems mighty ominous. So, what comes next?"

"I am here to convert you to the Group of your choice. You may have reconsidered your earlier decision, so I will give it to you again. That is the first part of the Ceremony."

"So, what does Conversion entail exactly? You've been mightily light on the details here and now."

"How you change depends on what Group you join. The Bodyguards, the Sorcerers or the Holy Ones."

"Given that I plan on joining the Sorcerers, gimme the lowdown."

"Should you become a sorcerer, you will experience great growth in your magical abilities and knowledge. You will also gain great knowledge of alchemy. However, your body will weaken and become clumsier. And of course, you will have access to the most powerful wizards spells there are."

"I didn't sign up fer no power, but thanks for the info. Now, how does this ceremony here work?"

"The Ceremony takes three full days, and three full nights. It is the only time you will eat raw Berries and not instantly die. But you will enter into a coma, and you will wake up changes. Your changes might not per permanent, since you have not been eating the berries from birth. Shall we begin?"

"My your leave, Ma'am."

"Then I shall go now, to prepare what must be done. Enter into the space behind me when you are ready, and be thinking of the Group you wish to join." With that, Verena vanishes.

"Well, there ain't so sense in waitin' around. I've got places to go, people to meet, and problems to resolve all nicely like."

"Well, that's obvious. The Sorcerers."

"I affirm, Ma'am."

"Ugh.... what?"

"Ouch..."

"..."

:science:

"Much better."

Strength +2, Dexterity -?, Intelligence +10, Mage Spells +6, Mage Lore +6, Alchemy +6. A total of at most +87 Skill Points worth of gains. I'm not sure how the Dexterity is modified. Of note, between your three options, the only Skills never affected are Assassination and Luck. Which is why Lucky is... Lucky.

And don't worry about the lack of Spell Points. That'll be addressed shortly.

"Gotta say, some of these changes are nice. And I can appreciate my luck more. Also, free coins!"

"That's an oddly specific number, but oh well."

"I just know I can't go south, so north it is."

"Ah, hello there?"

There is a softly glowing figure of a Nephil here. It shimmers, and its radiance lights up the room. "I am a minion of Verena," the figure says. "I am here to aid you in your transition."

"Before undergoing conversion, none of you had the potential for spellcasting that you do now. Each potion in this room will grant you knowledge, and I can train you to apply this knowledge for spellcasting. I must warn you, however."

"And what is your warning, ghost?"

"I hear ya'. Now, let's have a lookie-loo at these here potions."

"motherofgod"

16 potions that give 6 Skill points each. This was obviously set up with a regular party of 6 in mind, with 2-3 Spellcasters already in it. So this is supposed to get 3-4 people up to speed to help out. But because Lucky is a solo character, that all gets thrown out the window, and I can throw everything onto them.

"Train me! But don't be loco about it."

Something must be bugged, because I have no idea where those 6 points of Alchemy went. I also edit in Magical Aptitude for Lucky around this point.

"And now it is time to leave, the way I came in."

"Wow, out for three days. Who knew?"

"WHAT IN TARNATION!?!?"

:science: "And now I have scried everything I can!"

"Not much seein' though. Best talk to Vecna."

Verena is standing in the center of the Grove, her ususal spot. "Oh, I KNEW this would happen!" She is obviously frustrated. "I KNEW IT!"

"Hullo there, Ma'am. Ah, what's the ruckus?"

"I am cleaning up this mess! Avians did this! I KNEW this would happen!"

"What did the Avians do?"

"The Avians attacked while you were in the conversion coma! There was no way around your coma, but I was afraid that Avians might assault again! And where were the humans? The Three Groups?"

Tocaunde comes over "The humans have had problems of their own, Keeper."

Verena looks angrily at Tocaunde. "The humans value the Berries as much as we go! The Grove is as important to them as it is to you! They should help us, and we help them!"

"And I'm sure they would have, Keeper, but for their recent troubles."

Verena's tail swishes madly as she tried to calm down. "He's right. You're right." She says this to herself, tail swishing. "When you were in your coma, the Tatterdemalion attacked again," She says.

"Now hold on! What's all going on here? The Avians and the Tatter-man?"

Verena's ears fold back. "They're working together. They have to be. This was a coordinated attack! The Tattered Thing preyed on the cities while the Avians kept us busy here."

"Each of the three cities was infiltrated."

"Gosh and tarnation, this is all a mess! What happened?"

"We've been so busy repairing the damage to the Grover that we haven't been able to find out any more details about what happened."

"And we have much more work to do. You must go to the Cities and see what damage they have suffered. Help them if you can. But, ultimately..."

"Ultimately," Verena interrupts, "regardless of the humans' concerns, you mist stop the Avian menace. They will destroy the Grove if they cannot have it for themselves. And that CANNOT be allowed."

"What she says is tru. So go, re-explore the cities and learn what you can. But I have a piece of advice for you."

"What is that advice then?"

"The Tattered Thing probably lives underground. I know there at least three caves in Triane which it could use as a lair. There's one near each city. I don't know where those caves are, but someone in each city must know. Make sure you find and explore all three caves. One of them is probably the monster's lair."

"I will, and thank you."

"Well, I had best head back down to Aegre. Now that I'm a Sorcerer, they should be more friendly and openeing. Well, aside from the spate of Tatter-man attacks. After that, should I head for the Holy Ones or the Bodyguards? I mean, as an organization, The... We Sorcerers like the Holy Ones, or at least tolerate them while at the same time we don't appreciate the Bodyguards. But by the same token, if I visit them first, they will at least tolerate me more than anything else. This place is so backwards! Why can't it be simple, like Empire versus Avernum?"

"But hey, someone to practice my combat skills on! Let's cast FIREBALL!"

Right, so I will go over this in more detail when I do my proper Solo Run, but when running the Spell Slinger Solo, as what Lucky is right now, outdoor encounters in the early game require Mage 3. No arguing with me on that.

I'm outnumbered in this fight 13:1, and the AI is, when working with more advanced foes, more than willing and capable to use all but 1 Action Point in that character's turn before doing something big. Which is the same as what I'm going to have to do here.

So what I have to do here is not move up, towards the enemy, but rather rather move down and away from then for 3 tiles, then cast HASTE on myself.

This serves two purposes. The first is to buy me space and time. Many offensive spells have a range to them, and the more I force the enemy to come to me rather than advancing into them, the more time I have to prepare and hit them at a distance.

In addition, because attacking creatures tend to take the straightest line towards you, by backing away, and towards the edge of the map in case things get bad, you tend to draw the enemy into nice zones like this where you can Fireball them repeatedly. Fighting other spellcasters requires a more... interesting approach that I'll cover when it's time.

"Nice! Lotta loot there, and I don't have anyone else to share it with. Why, if I had five friends, who knows how little each of us would git!"

"And here I am. Let's see here what happened with the Tatter-Man made his move."

"Well, ain't that a peach. Is everyone lacking in motivation and initiative?"

"..."

"Don't answer that, me."

"You know, I never did head this way, around the side last time. Was too musy jawing the locals, I suppose."

"Makes sense, I suppose. Having the civilians hidden away for their safety."

"EUGENE! MY FRIEND!"

Eugene the Info-Bat is dancing around the entrance to Aegre. "Hello!" he cries, and flaps over to you. "Oh, this is WONDERFUL!"

"So, your job change yet?"

Eugene laughs. "You're already becoming absent-minded! You'll make a GREAT Wizard!"

:lol: "I suppose so. You got a new dance for me?"

For those of you too young to remember, that was the "Gangnam Style" of the 90's. I was there.

"So, my friend, got any juicy gossip for me? I heard something bad had happened. Any info on that?"

Eugene squawks - a noise you were aware bats could make. (But then again, you've never seen one dance before either.) "Oh, poor Vilonia! Carried off in the night... well, the day actually... by that aweful creature!"

"Oh no!"

"The Tattered Creature! It popped right up out of the ground and attacked Vilonia and grabbed her and then went back into the ground again! It's evil! What's worse, no one knows where it went. At least, if anyone does, they haven't told ME about it."

"Curses! Eugene, I'll keep you informed. But now, I gotta head inside and jaw with everyone else. Maybe a fresh face around here can help put things into perspective."

"You do that! Please. I can't stand not knowing! I'll even work on a new dance for you!"

"I will. Have a good day."

"Great essence of magic!" Sulligan the alchemist stops dead in his tracks. "You! It's YOU! I'm so HAPPY for you!"

Since I'm now a Sorcerer, his Alchemy shop is very cheap. How cheap?

"Wow, your prices went down there. Friend of a friend discount, huh?"

"Always!"

"Look, I'd love to chat like old friends, but I keep hearing bad things. What happened with the Sorcerers?"

"You're right, magic is a wonderful community, where everyone understands you..." Then his face gets darker. "Except it isn't quite so idyllic now."

"Look man, my brother from a different mother, tell it to me straight."

"Vilonia's been taken by the Tattered thing, that legendary monster. Who would have thought it was real? Most legends end up only having the barest relation, if any at all, to the truth you know. But not this one. The Tatterdemalion is real."

"I know, brother. Eugene told me already. Did you see it? The Tatterman?"

Sulligan shakes his head once, quickly, as if trying to dislodge something inside it. "I'm sorry. Here it is, the happiest day of your life, and I'm ruining it." He starts working on an alchemy project, mixing ingredients together. "I saw where it went, you know."

"You saw? I must know! I was asked to come here in the first place to investigate and deal with it. Where did it go?"

"Where the Tattered thing went?" He repeats himself. "With Vilonia. She's dead now. She must be. No one the creature's ever taken has come back." He mixes water into the other ingredients. "But I did see the path it took."

"Please! For all our sakes, tell me!"

"It went to the mountains west here. Exactly where, I'm not sure, but definitely to the west." He finishes mixing his potion. "There are some caves in that region."

"Toucan said as much. Which cave?"

"Sure." You try the lemonade. He's right. It needs more sugar. "See you around. I'll go chatt'n with Eugene and see what he has to say."

"Good luck."

"Hey! Good to see you joined us. Listen, now that you're a Sorcerer, I can see you potions on the cheap."

"Afternoon, Galene. Like lemonade?"

:lol: "No. Here, let me show you."

Oh yes, I'll need this. Energy Potions definitely.

"Oh, I'll be taking advantage of your services, very muchly. But more seriously, what happened?"

"Well, the Tatterdemalion attacked AGAIN." She looks irritated. "This time, at least we were able to put up a fight. Sort of." Now she looks worried. "But not much of a fight."

"How did the fight go down?"

She shakes her head, bewildered. "NOTHING affected that creature. We hit it with every spell we had, from Spark to Kill, from Flame to Shockwave! About the only thing we didn't try was Quickfire. Some people even attacked it with daggers. The result? Nothing. We were about as useful as Bodyguards." She folds her arms across her chest. And now Vilonia's been taken. You know, I have an idea about that," she says suddenly.

"Any idea, any lead will help."

"I always thought the Tatterdemalion was killing everyone it attacked. But we may have misled you before. We've actually never found any bodies."

"No bodies..."

"Right! The monster would attack people, yes. Then it would drag them down into the earth. It moves through dirt the way fish swim through water. It's really eerie. Now, we've never gotten any of those people back, so we've been SAYING it's killed all these people. But I wonder...."

"You wonder?"

She shudders. "I wonder if it's actually doing something even worse? There are fates worse than death."

"Then I hope their fate ends up being a kind one."

"I will remember that."

Hiruu sees you enter the communal hall, and sits up in his chair. "By essence - you - you JOINED us!"

"That I did."

"Well, no reason to hate you now, that's for sure. I know just about everything there is to know. Ask me."

"pft"

"I'll take you up on that offer, pardner. Tell be about the Tatterman"

"oh."

"Yes."

"save me"

"im dyin here"

"Ah, sir, your order is ready."

"Food is ready gotta chow bye!"

"You will forever have my thanks for rescuing me, Cortlind."

"Well, it is cause for celebration!"

"Cause for celebration?"

"Yes." He speaks as he brings a big cake out from under the counter. "I made this just in case you did the smart thing and joined us. Dig in!"

"Ah, cake. My one weakness. So, I hate to ruin a good day, but I have to ask. What happened? There was a fight against the Tatterman."

"I caught the last minute or so of the battle against the Tatterdemalion, when it was leaving with Vilonia. It had knocked her out and was dragging her underground. There wasn't much I could do. I'm just a ghost, but there wasn't much the Sorcerers could do either."

He shakes his translucent head. "That thing seems to be impervious to all forms of magic. Nothing we threw at it had any sort of effect. Some of us even resorted to physical combat. Like, with knives and things." Cortlind looks embarrassed. "You can imagine how well that went. Bodyguards, we are not."

"Thank you for your time, and the cake. I will be going now. Gotta figure out what in tarnation I can do."

"I will see you around, whenever you want to eat."

"I will."

"Better check in on Vilonia's office. Or what was her office, I suppose."

"Right, suppose try'n to breka into a dead woman's home would be a bad idea. Let's see how what's his face, the other guy, has been handl'n this."

"Greetings. I am glad you joined us."

"Sir. I'm sorry I came at a bad time."

"You did. I am in charge of Aegre now that Vilnonia is missing."

"Missing? You agree with Galene?"

"Yes. MISSING. I don't know what she thinks, but me? I will not believe Vilonia is DEAD until I see a body. Or until someone I trust say THEY saw one." He looks you over, wondering if you're someone he can trust.

"Look, sir, you know I was brought in to investigate this here ruffling feathers. If you can't trust me, who else is there?"

"Good, good. I didn't have to spell my doubts out of your. You saw them anyways. That's good. I like perceptive people. No. I have to be honest. I NEED perceptive people. Because I have an assignment that needs to be done."

"Speak."

He looks annoyed. "I thought that would have been obvious. Find Vilonia! And if you can't, at least find out if she's dead or alive." He puts his hands on his hips. "Look, someone knows. Someone ALWAYS knows. They're just not talking. You have to MAKE them talk."

"All due respectin' to you and your mantle, but I like chatting up folks all diplomatic like, rather than being devious or aggressing with the'm, ya'know?"

He also still sells Level 4 spells, so I grab Slow Group for a steal at 75 gold now that we're friends. You all know how that works out by now.

"Only one last place to go; locked away behind doors non Sorcerers couldn't open."

"Nice! Walking into the impossible, like a dude."

"Books... books... and even more books."

"Ah, hello there." This man is very old and looks like a stereotypical wizard - most people in Aegre do not, you've noticed. "I am Cibek, Master Sorcerer." It takes a moment to realize that 'Master' is not his title. It's how he's addressing you. "I am pleased that you have chosen to join us in our time of struggle."

"Thank you for the greet'n! Whatcha do around here?"

"I am the High Trainer. I teach more advanced spells to those who join us. Some spells, however, can only be taught to those who have been here for a full year."

"A YEAR? What in tarnation?"

"I suppose that makes sense. So, about our struggles? You saw what happened?"

Cibek hangs his head. "I was so busy here, with my studies, that I did not appreciate all the commotion until it was too late."

"I wouldn't exactly be call'n what happened out there somethin' as slightly as a commotion, but them's your words, not mine."

"Yes," he says. "By the time I joined the battle, there was nothing else to do. All our spells were useless against the creature. It seems immune to all forms of magical attack. I do not need to tell you how difficult it will be for us Sorcerers to defeat an enemy which is unaffected by Wizardry!"

I buy nothing at the moment, but Dispel Barrier is 1500. A number to note for later.

"Well, thanks for that. But I gotta get going. I've been tasked with investigating things, don't'cha know."

"I will be here when you need me."

"Eugene! My favorite singing and dancing bat!"

"And it's my favorite new Sorcerer! What can I do you for."

"Listen, I was told you were the bat to talk to about caves in the region. Like, big ones. You know any?"

"Caves? Yeah, there's a big cave nearby! It's hard to find thought. Why, do you want to find it?" He flaps over and slaps your forehead with his wing. "There, now you'll be able to see it!"

"Thanks! I gotta get goin' now. You take care."

"You too!"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

berryjon posted:

For those of you too young to remember, that was the "Gangnam Style" of the 90's. I was there.

If there is in fact anyone here too young to remember the Macarena, you just keep that poo poo to yourself.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm not really feeling this scenario so far because it's too piss-taking/camp/fourth-wall breaking, but I have a few questions. I thought at first that this was designed for one character, but it clearly was for a party. Why did you insist on soloing it, and what did you mean by your 'real' solo run? I'm curious as to how this one doesn't count.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Why did you insist on soloing it, and what did you mean by your 'real' solo run? I'm curious as to how this one doesn't count.

What's the point of making a party when the scenario wipes all that effort away effectively five minutes in?

And this is actually three scenarios-in-one. Which Group you sign up with affects the way the plot goes. Here, let me quote the game's info-file;

quote:

WHAT LEVEL OF PARTY IS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS SCENARIO?

This scenario was designed for a party of first-level characters. I know that officially, this is a "high" level scenario. Don't worry. That just means the monsters won't double their hit points until parties get to about 18th level. Your characters will probably not become 18th level, so monsters won't double their hit points, which was my goal all along.

WHAT'S THE GOAL OF THE SCENARIO?

To join one of Triane's three Groups--the Bodyguards, the Holy Ones, or the Sorcerers--and then stop the Tatterdemalion and any other foes of Triane before the valley of Triane is destroyed.

DOES IT MATTER WHETHER I BECOME A BODYGUARD, HOLY ONE, OR SORCERER?

Absolutely! The ENTIRE PLOT hinges on this decision. NPCs who are your friends in one version may be your enemies in a second version, and they may not exist at all in the third version.
Each plotline has at least three unique missions, and several shared missions as well. A lot of the shared missions may LOOK alike, but they really aren't. For instance, just because you've solved the ogre cave as Sorcerers doesn't mean you can apply the same solution if you play as Bodyguards. It won't work. And even some of the outdoor encounters which are the same become uniquely challenging because of the composition of your party when you're with each group.

SO REALLY, "TATTERDEMALION" IS LIKE THREE SCENARIOS IN ONE.

Right. Think of it as a cross between regular Blades of Exile and Diablo, but where the whole plot changes instead of just your own strengths and weaknesses.

ANY OTHER DIFFERENCES I SHOULD KNOW?

The Bodyguard storyline is rated PG-13, the Holy One storyline is PG, and the Sorcerer storyline is, oh, either G or PG.
Also, one of the stories eventually becomes a comedy, another is a straight drama with an upbeat ending, and the other borders on tragedy. But I'm not saying which is which, and I don't think you can guess from the ratings.

Anyways, getting about 40 levels of skills dumped onto a character to start with utterly destroys any semblance of challenge, and handling a solo character is a far different beast than this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've never played this scenario, but I'm gonna make a prediction: the three faction leaders are faking the Tatterdemalion to try to escape the valley with their chosen true believers. The Avatar spell makes someone invincible and magic-resistant. Between spells like Move Mountains, Firewalk, and Fly, I'd be willing to accept an invented spell to walk through walls. Cast all that on the Bodyguard leader and you'd have a fearsome "monster" that can "abduct" people (willing or otherwise) to the cave system, where they're either growing their own Berries or figuring out how to wean people off of the things. Either way the goal is to leave the valley behind and rejoin/conquer civilization. The Avians are being used to destroy the existing power structures, either out of petty vengeance or to make sure nobody else can get Berries once they establish their new power base outside of the valley.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

What's the point of making a party when the scenario wipes all that effort away effectively five minutes in?

And this is actually three scenarios-in-one. Which Group you sign up with affects the way the plot goes. Here, let me quote the game's info-file;

Anyways, getting about 40 levels of skills dumped onto a character to start with utterly destroys any semblance of challenge, and handling a solo character is a far different beast than this.

Doesn't the massie lost of action economy largely balance having one overpowered character, though? I don't do them myself, but I've always been told that solo runs in party games are to give much greater challenge to clever clogs who've mastered the game inside and out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

Doesn't the massie lost of action economy largely balance having one overpowered character, though? I don't do them myself, but I've always been told that solo runs in party games are to give much greater challenge to clever clogs who've mastered the game inside and out.

At least in Exile 3, solo is entirely viable. You can stack every positive perk on your one character without impeding their levelups, bless+haste makes you immune to melee, and there's very few non-melee threats in the game. Casting Avatar and then advancing under an antimagic cloud is pretty much all you need for those cases.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At least in Exile 3, solo is entirely viable. You can stack every positive perk on your one character without impeding their levelups, bless+haste makes you immune to melee, and there's very few non-melee threats in the game. Casting Avatar and then advancing under an antimagic cloud is pretty much all you need for those cases.

It's getting to the point where you have Priest 7/Mage 7, and enough combat skill to actually be competent that's the challenge.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Art was how I would start my solo-build. Just she was in a party for all three games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, I would generally start E3 characters with L3 mage / L2 priest spells, for the free SP and access to Fireball. Then as many STR and INT points as I could afford (assuming I'm not using the Tower of the Magi INT exploit). Everything else was secondary. You don't need weapon skills against early enemies, you just need Bless. Or early on, Minor Bless will suffice.

Oh, yes, speaking of exploits, the pregenerated party gets more starting skill points to play with. You can get a four-level head start if you respec one of them instead of starting from scratch.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I kind of broke my Exile 1 playthrough by loading my 6-man party with a ton of skill potions. Not totally broke, but definitely bent quite a bit. I understand that they made skill potions much more unobtainable in later games. It's been a while since I re-read the original LP trilogy, but that is what I recall.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Exiles 1 and 2 just let you buy unlimited quantities from a not-too-hard-to-reach vendor on the overworld (Silverlocke or something?). In Exile 3, they're only available in "unlimited" quantities via alchemy. So first you need to grind up your alchemy skill to max, then you need to get the recipe. That requires one of the more elaborate dungeon-unlocking missions in the game -- finding obscure NPCs who move between towns, knowing what to ask them, and then paying bribes to get them to actually spit up the info you need. Then you need to actually find the dungeon, which is tucked away in a corner that you have no real reason to visit. The dungeon itself is pretty trivial (it's the kung-fu movie parody dungeon, if you recall from when berryjon LP'd Exile 3), so that gets you the recipe, and now you can make as many Knowledge Brews as you want!

...except that even at max alchemy level, there's good odds that you'll fail the recipe. Also, when I said "unlimited", you're still limited by your supply of Mandrake Root. Fortunately, there's a vendor that sells Mandrake Root at only 400GP apiece (if I recall prices correctly)! ...accessing that requires using the Orb of Thralni to fly out over the ocean so you can land on a corner of island that looks like a tree but is actually a secret passage.

Alternately, you can refresh the random shops and hope that their inventory includes skill potions. Much easier, plus it gives you more shots at Rings of Speed and Boots of Speed, and you want more of those, right?

In later games, there's no unlimited source of character advancement at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hope that berryjon is okay. :(