Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You too can be the Hero of your own Story

Let's Play Blades of Exile

The World is not a Peaceful Place. There are dangers out there, hiding in the light and in the shadows. Against these foes, who will rise to face them?

Will these people be Heroes? Or will they be Villains?

In their trials and tribulations, these stalwart groups must venture forth to seek out new places, encounter new life...

And determine if they are friend or foe - or have the decision made for you.

But be warned, not all who wander out into the world will find their way back. Some will fall, unknown and unremembered...

While others will rise to achieve the greatest of heights!

Which will you choose? And can you take it for yourself?

"OK, second version is better, though a horde of Gremlins isn't very believable. Though they will work for wine, so it was probably cheap to hire them."

"Hello, my name is Anaxiamander. You may have heard of me by a different name, but in this office, you don't use it. You are here because I represent Unspecified Services, this nation's agency for dealing with odd or unusual events that require a response, but more... conventional resources won't work."

"To that end, I will be looking over your files, and breaking you up into teams of four to six, and assigning you missions that suit your skill level and your skills. You will travel all over the world, above and below in this job, so be prepared for anything. I hope you succeed in your endeavors, so good luck, all of you."

Welcome, everyone, to Blades of Exile. Published in 1997, this was the final game in the Exile series, and it was a way for Jeff Vogel to open up his creation to his fans and audience. Blades is a Scenario Creator allowing people to design anything from a single room encounter to a full Exile-sized epic, full of twists, turns and wonders.

Blades is Freeware, and is available here for Windows, or here for Macintosh, and finally here as an Open Source project. So if you want to play along, or play ahead, be my guest!

Because Blades is Free, and is a Scenario creator, I will play through the three default Scenarios that come with the game, starting with
The Valley of Dying Things and work my way through the rest. In addition, I will be playing through many (hopefully) community designed scenarios, many of which are found here for download. And who knows, I may take a crack or two at bad ones. If I find one, I have a special surprise in store for them.

I strongly suggest reading my previous LPs of Exile, Exile: Escape from the Pit, Exile 2: Crystal Souls, and Exile 3: Ruined World as they help establish setting, mood an just who ArtAnaxiamander is and why she's in charge of the various PC parties.

And in the grand tradition of my LPs, I will be taking open submissions for PCs in the game. But unlike the previous ones, unless there is something fundamentally wrong or plain offensive (at my discretion), every submitted PC will get to be in the game. You will design your character by the Character Creation post, and while you may request a certain Party, and I will try to oblige, the final decision will be up to me.

Parties will consist of FOUR to SIX members, depending on how I feel things can shake out, and I will take requests for certain parties in certain scenarios as the case may turn out. I may change things behind the scenes if a party is too weak, but being too strong will never be a problem.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy this.

1. Character Creation

2. Finalized Parties, and their Scenarios
  • A - Team Crime (Hox, Tokka, Zaka, Shinwell, Cooper, Danger)
    • The Valley of Dying Things
    • A Mild Rebellion
    • The Za-Khazi Run
  • B - Team REDACTED
    • No Scenarios Yet
  • C - Team Lucky (Lucky, Not a Solo)
    • Tatterdemalion

3. SCENARIOS

01 - The Valley of Dying Things

02 - A Mild Rebellion

03 - The Za-Khazi Run

Scenario 4 - Tatterdemalion

berryjon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Character Creation

In this post, I will explain the mechanics of character creation for Blades of Exile. If you're already familiar with the way it was done in Exile 3, then you can go right ahead and skip to creating your character.

When we set out to create a new party, we are first given the option of using the preset team, or to create something new. Something ... better. As I've already killed the default team in the introduction, it is now up to you to fill in the blanks.

Each party will consist of no fewer than four, and no more than six Player Characters. I can have multiple teams running around, but moving a PC from one team to another is difficult at best. So, when it comes time to vote for the teams, consider your choices wisely.

When you first start designing a character, you are brought to this screen. Here you choose the species of your PC, their Advantages and Disadvantages. All these options have some effect on the amount of XP the character needs to level up. You see, by default, the bog-standard human requires 100XP to go up a level. Improving your character increases the XP required to level up, and giving your character disadvantages reduces it. Note that all percentages are multiplicative, so stacking Advantages on someone will hurt their long-term prospects, a lot. So, from the top:

• Human - (+0%) – The standard 'species' in the World, Humans are bog standard, having no innate advantages. Being Human means nothing, as they are everywhere.
  • Nephilim - (+12%) – Felines native to the Surface, they too were sent into Exile by the Empire. Now, though, they return to the surface in small clans, with those that were hidden also emerging into the sun. Choosing to be a Nephilim gives you a +2 bonus to your Dexterity, and a small hidden bonus to Archery and Throwing weapons.
  • Slithzerikai - (+20%) - A species native to the cave, they have been at war with the Empire and Exile in the past. Now, some are allied to Exile, while the Empire tolerates their existence. Being Slith grants you +2 Strength, +1 Intelligence and a small innate bonus to Polearms.
  • Vahnatai - (+??%) - A mysterious and ancient species from deep beneath the surface, farther down than even the Slithzerikai, the Vahnatai are rare. They have been allied to Exile in the past, and are in a state of war with the Empire, though there are other Vahnatai clans out there that may chose differently.... To be Vahnatai means you pick a different species, and provide me with a custom PC graphic for me to use.

I will not place restrictions on numbers of each species. There will be enough space for everyone to get involved. Now, onto advantages.

• Toughness - (+10%) - Simply put, the character with this trait takes less damage. Somewhere around 10%, but a variety of factors can affect the exact number.
  • Magically Apt - (+20%) - A PC with this trait deals approximately 25% more damage with spells than a character without this trait, and all other factors being equal.
  • Ambidextrous - (+8%) - The character with this suffers no penalty from having two weapons in hand in combat. I'll discuss the details later when I go through combat.
  • Nimble Fingers - (+10%) - Better at handling Traps, Locks and poison. Very utilitarian.
  • Cave Lore - (+4%) - The description says “Can Hunt”, which means that you'll occasionally get some food from nowhere while a character with this skill is in the party. It's also required for certain special encounters.
  • Woodsman - (+6%) - Like Cave Lore, except for the Surface.
  • Good Constitution - (+10%) - Resisting Poison and Disease, allowing the PC to recover from these ailments faster.
  • Highly Alert - (+7%) - A person with this trait can avoid magical sleep, allowing them to keep acting when others fall. They can also act as a warning for the party, allowing them to avoid being surprised by ambushes and the like.
  • Exceptional Strength - (+12%) - With weight a factor in how much a PC can carry, a character with this trait can carry 20% more weight that someone with the same Strength. They will also deal a little bit more damage with melee strikes.
  • Recuperation - (+15%) - This trait allows the person with it to heal much faster than normal.

Disadvantages, however, are not so nice. Though they do provide a reduction in the amount of XP required to level up.

• Sluggish - (-10%) - This causes a 25% reduction in the ability of a character to move in combat by reducing their default AP from 4 to 3.
  • Magically Inept - (-8%) - Cannot use Magical Items. No Potions, Wands, Scrolls, or other activated items, they are all unusable by this PC. Nor can they cast spells. Pick only if you have a very, very good reason for it.
  • Frail - (-8%) - Poison and Disease are worse for this character. Yes, this stacks with Good Constitution, meaning +2%XP for no benefit.
  • Chronic Disease - (-20%) - This character will occasionally catch the Disease status, negatively affecting their performance. Any PC who picks this gets rejected by me outright. I had enough of this with Matthias in Exile 3, and I have no interest in going through it again.
  • Bad Back - (-8%) - Unable to carry great weights, this trait reduces carrying capacity by 20%, as well as reducing physical damage by a minor amount.

Once you've picked your traits, its time to move on to Stats.

This looks like a lot, so I'm going to start going down on the left side from the top. The first field is the name of NPC we're training. All training through skill points earned via level up also occur on a screen like this. However, seeing as how this is a new NPC, we haven't had a chance to name him/her/it yet.

The purchasing of skills is done with two resources. The first is the amount of skill points we have on the character (earned at level-up), and the amount of gold we have in our party. The image is good enough, I won't recite the numbers later. However at character creation, we have 60 SP to work with, and infinite gold to spend. But what to spend it on?

Health is a flat measure of HP. It goes up based on a character's Strength at each level-up, but can be increased directly for 2 HP per Skill Point invested. Every character starts with 6 Health and that cannot be reduced. The max is 251. If you wish to gain any discrete amount of HP with each level up, the minimum Strength must be 4.

Spell Points power magic spells, and do not go up with level, they can only be purchased with the skill points earned by leveling up. The max is 150.

Strength represents a character's soundness of body. The higher, the more HP a character will have in addition to dealing more damage with physical attacks. All characters start off with 1, but if they feel like taking any damage at all, should start with at least 3. The max is 20.

Dexterity affects how often you hit or get hit in combat, as veterans of RPGs may assume, but also affect the Actions Points of a character, which will be explained when combat comes around. A high Dexterity will allow a person to do more per turn of combat than others. All characters start with 1, but if they want to do well in combat, should have at least three. The max is 20.

Intelligence affects Magic damage, and the success of negative status effects much as Strength affects HP and physical damage. It's a nice dichotomy. All characters start with 1, but if they want to do anything with magic, should have at least 3. The max is 20.

Edged/Bashing/Pole/Thrown/Archery are all classes of weapons. Swords, Clubs, Spears, Throwing Stars and Bows respectively. They represent specialization in weapons, and the more you have, the better your ability to deal damage goes up. Focusing on a weapon can give more benefits than just the general benefits from a high Strength and Dexterity, so don't forget them. They all go to 20.

Defense is a general skill to defend yourself with; making shields better and in general not getting hit, or even reducing damage. However, the most important aspect of it is that this skill reduces the Encumbrance you get from your equipment. I'll explain that in Combat. A good long-term investment. Goes to 20.

Mage and Priest Spells represent the levels of spells available to the character. At Character creation, each point in these two skills provides 3 free SP. Spells will be covered in more detail later, but at character creation, only spells up to level 3 are available. By the time we get to places with Level 4 spells available, we'll have enough skill points to buy more ranks in this. They both go up to 7.

Mage Lore is a passive skill that is pooled across the party to determine if they know about stuff for plot points or resolving quests. It goes to 20, and by the mid game, we should have at least that many points in it across all our PC's.

Alchemy is important for brewing potions from ingredients gathered from across the world, and they range from the 'why bother?' of things like Weak Poison Potions to 'absolutely vital' like Skill Potions.

Item Lore allows us to identify items in our possession without spending money or spell points on Identify spells. It's fairly passive, and useful at low amounts to detect if an item is cursed or not. This goes to 10.

Disarm Traps and Lockpicking are exactly what they say they are. Used for Traps and Locks, the skills go up to 20, and can be used on things magic won't work on. Dexterity provides a passive hidden bonus to these skills.

Assassination is an unusual skill. Characters with it have a chance of doing bonus damage against any foe lower leveled than they are. This can help with cleaning trash mobs, or even against boss fights if you're over leveled. I like to think of this skill as the 'Win Harder' skill. Goes to 20, at which point you're dealing massive damage to anything less powerful than you. It does not stack with ranged weapons, just melee.

Poison is a skill that allows you to safely add poison to your weapons to try and hit foes with. Can be useful with Thrown or Archery based weapons, but I find it's just not worth the skill points in the long run. Goes to 20.

Luck costs no money to train, and it does the most dangerous and powerful thing of all – it affects the RNG. Can go all the way to 20, if you dare.

This is the Character model selection. All PC's can have their own icons, and here is where the fun really begins! All PC images are bitmap images, 36x28, mirrored for when facing the other direction. For this LP, I will accept custom images for submitted PC's!

I'll say it right now, I find the non-humans to be far less interesting than the human ones, so if anyone really wants to try their hand at a new PC graphic, please be my guest.

Submissions!

What I would like are names, some background information on the PCs and stats. You can chose (or create) a PC picture for yourself. Just keep in mind that over the course of the game, your character can earn over 200 more Skill Points, so there is some flexibility in which direction you want your character to grow.

Once I am satisfied with the number of submitted PCs, I will move on to allowing everyone to vote for the teams. After that, I will start the game proper with the first scenario.

If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 9, 2022

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh man! I remember playing Blades of Avernum (Jeff remade the Exile series as the Avernum series). I'm looking forward to this.

No character creation suggestions aside from naming one Jeffogel.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Holy poo poo, jon, is that really you?!

The man, the myth, the legend.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Holy poo poo, jon, is that really you?!

The man, the myth, the legend.

Yes, yes it is.

It was this or Realmz as I couldn't find a copy of Nethergate that wasn't a demo or the remake version. So why not come back to this with a few years relaxation under my belt, and to get away from the video LPs for a bit.

Now... where's your character submission, huh? ;)

Quackles posted:

No character creation suggestions aside from naming one Jeffogel.
Names are not limited to 8 characters.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Man, I remember the Blades of Avernum demo. Since I was a kid, once I played the first mission twice or so, I started loving around with the files until I got good enough that it could reasonably be called modding, changing events and monsters and the map and then adding some.

I wish Jeff would put it on steam so I could start doing that sort of nonsense again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember playing one really neat scenario that was all about Soul Crystals. It was intended to be played with a specific solo character, though, and assigned a fair amount of characterization to that character, so it might not be a great pick for this LP.

Anyway, character submission...hm, let's throw my last D&D character into the fray! Zaka the slith priest (a.k.a. lizardfolk druid), traits are Magically Apt, Cave Lore, and Toughness. You can build him as either a straight caster or a hybrid caster/blunt melee, your choice. As a lizardfolk, Zaka doesn't really "get" emotions at an intuitive level, but he can reason his way through why people are acting the way they are. Do not expect him to care about other people though. He'll help you only if it serves his needs to help you. That said, if he's stuck with a party of bleeding-heart goodie-two-shoes, then helping others is all part of keeping his ablative meat shieldsfriends alive and "happy"...whatever that means.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

Yes, yes it is.

It was this or Realmz as I couldn't find a copy of Nethergate that wasn't a demo or the remake version. So why not come back to this with a few years relaxation under my belt, and to get away from the video LPs for a bit.

Now... where's your character submission, huh? ;)

1) I'm not submitting a character because, even though you said that you would take them all, my character submission for Exile 3 was the only one that received ZERO votes. So, I'm afraid to submit an idea because my character concepts must be dreadful.

2) I tried to download those Exile games from Spiderweb and they will not even begin to work on Win10x64 Pro. Keep in mind that these are all 16-bit apps, which is ancient. Nethergate original was his first 32-bit game. The ones that I have are wrapped to work well on modern machines. Since the games are given away for free by Spiderweb, I will happily share them with whomever.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 3, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Oh, hey, I occasionally re-read the character creation and spell lists from the old LPs but never really dipped my toes in fully. Maybe I'll go back and read them all the way through.

Anyway, I'll app a Slith battle-mage. To make sure he doesn't lag too much in XP, he's a bit Sluggish. He'll also be the party Alchemist. Otherwise, keep a relatively even balance between spellcasting and melee stats, focusing on Polearms. He can pick up some Mage Lore later for when we need that.

And for a name... Toka-Gesss, and using the most bottom-right image, the Slith holding fire in his hand.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 3, 2022

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I am glad you are taking another shot at this, your original Exile series of LP's remain stellar.

Quackles posted:

Oh man! I remember playing Blades of Avernum (Jeff remade the Exile series as the Avernum series). I'm looking forward to this.
I also played Blades of Avernum and enjoyed it, but only grabbed the demo for the original Blades of Exile and was therefore super limited. The original BoE had a LOT more scenarios and I've heard and many (most?) of the top-shelf scenarios in BoA were basically imports/remakes of the original Exile ones, so it'll be interesting to see.

Taylor Danger
Taylor grew up in the Empire and things were going great, until in his late teens, one of his close friends was framed for a crime. Taylor worried he might also be caught up in the frame, so he left town immediately and fled to a different part of the Empire, never staying in the same place for long. In order to afford food on his years of travels, he'd gamble on darts in bars under the showy nickname of "Taylor Danger". The accompanying drinking built up endurance and ability to recover from nasty hangovers quickly. Over time, he also managed to quickly evaluate which drinks on a tavern's menu were drinkable and which were basically poison in a glass. Eventually, he heard that certain places were looking for adventurers, so he figured the steady paycheck might be a nice change of pace from endless bars and travel.

In-game Character: Row 2, Column 5 - the shirtless guy whose hand is raised like he's winding up to throw maybe if you squint and imagine a little bit?

Photo for updates: TBD, I'll try to Google up some clip art of a dart thrower or something and edit this post.

Skills:
Human with Recuperation and Highly Alert; points in Endurance, Dexterity, Throwing Missiles, Poison, and Luck. I've never run a character with thrown weapons and I've always wondered if BoE (where creators can create all sorts of new items) could result in a character built around thrown weapons being viable.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

It was this or Realmz as I couldn't find a copy of Nethergate that wasn't a demo or the remake version.

What do you use to play Realmz? I've had troubles finding working versions of that game, which has many adventures I believe.

Also, check your PM.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

berryjon posted:

Good. But I'm hoping for a character named specifically Jeffogel anyway. :v: Maybe a Human Mage of some kind?

Also, to be fair, here's an example of my naming prowess:

For my Queen's Wish 2 party, I had a fighter named Mellie. Then, when I got a Lithan party member, I swapped Mellie out for her, and named the Lithan party member Icy Mellie. :v:

EDIT: Or if it's gotta be two names, Jeffogel Vogel.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 3, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Jovanna Cooper, Female Human
Highly Alert

Traps, Locks and Thrown weapons

Last portrait in second column

Jovanna is the third daughter of a family of coopers and she was trained to be a cooper from birth, giving her excellent dexterity and mechanical sense. However, she found exploring outside the town to be far more intersting so as soon as she was released as journeywoman at age 18 she hit the road, learned to throw daggers and looked for adventurers to join instead of making a single barrel again.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I've never heard of this game, will be interesting to see you cover this. Let me throw up a character submission.

Philip Hox.
He's a Human. He'd be the little human character model holding the lute in Row 3, Column 2. He possesses Ambidextrous hands, and is a bit of an unreadable fellow with no clear goal besides adventure. But he's affable enough and will be on the level with the party. Also worryingly efficient at bashing things with blunt objects.. The instrument is just for show, and emergencies. He's seen some stuff out there.

Skills: Majoring in Bashing Weapons and Assassination with minors in Item Lore and Luck, with whatever else is necessary to make those work. I'm interested in what that build would involve. Being a basherguy also seems just fun.

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 3, 2022

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

berryjon posted:

I really regret donating my cd with the original Nethergate to Goodwill. I hadn't realized how hard it was to get these days.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Oh holy hell yes, I spent so many hours on this one. BoE came out before modding was really a thing, so the idea of an RPG where you could just up and write your own scenarios was pretty mindblowing and it inspired a lot of people to turn their idea for the amazing RPG campaign they'd always wanted to run into a game.

The community came up with some really good stuff, too (although, in fairness, there was a lot of garbage too), but even the bad stuff tended to at least be interesting and unique.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

OK, so I have six submissions (including one that was PM'd to me), so I will make Team Those Six Guys and work on the first update.

While I'm wondering how the hell a team that consists of two casters, three ranged fighters and one properly melee specc'd character works, keep submissions coming! And of course, if you want a custom PC graphic, and/or a headshot for talking, include them!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is the portrait I used for Zaka:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

idhrendur posted:

I really regret donating my cd with the original Nethergate to Goodwill. I hadn't realized how hard it was to get these days.

Was it this? I remembered seeing it in a compilation decades ago.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Hello! I decided that a taste of the actual game itself was required in order to get things going, so I took the first 6 submissions to reach me and threw them together as a party, and I will run them through the first scenario - The Valley of Dying Things in order to show everything off!

These are the three scenarios that come with the game, though only the first is available in the demo. Which you should not be playing, because the full versions are available for free! So, let's get right to it, shall we?

Scenario 1 - The Valley of Dying Things
Chapter 1 - Fort Talrus

"We are here. Let usss introduse ourzelves."

This is the non-combat window, and is what you will be seeing most of the time. On the left is the active map area, which is centered on the party and a region four squares in distance around them, with line of sight accounted for. Below that is the name of the area, then the actions bar which consist of Cast (M)age Spell, Cast (P)riest Spell, (L)ook, (T)alk, (P)ick Up, (U)se, Map, and (F)ight. On the right is the party status window, which you can use to check on the relevant characters, as well as showing their statuses. You also see their Food and Gold stores as well as the current Day, which can be relevant, but not in this scenario.

The Middle-Right is the inventory screen, which you can use to equip items, use them or just hold onto things for special occasions. You can click on the little icons on the bottom to get to a specific character, or on the "Spec" button for scenario-specifc Key Items.

The bottom right in the action log, which lets you know what is going on and what is happening.

And this is the combat screen. It's all the same, except the actions you can do are different, and your party can spread out, rather than be bunched up in one tile. Mage, Priest and Pickup are the same, but you have the Shield icon for the Parry Command, the Arrow to fire ranged weapons, Wait to do just that, End, to end Combat, and Act for other actions.

"I am Zaka. Priest."

"Tokka-Gesss, Mage of the Slith, aiding Exile."

"Danger's the name! Taylor Danger! Ranger and Scout in the making."

"Jovanna Cooper, technical expert."

"Phillip Hox, beater and solver of problems."

"Johnson, support."

No, not a lot of characterization at this point. If I keep the team together after this mission, I'll work on that.

"And while you all were talking, I looked in the dresser, and found some supplies!"

Look in everything! Dressers, Boxes, Barrels, the works. You never know what you're going to find.

"Well, that was nize of the Commander."

"Look, these things aren't always the best option. Keep all your vital stuff on you."

"You sound paranoid."

"Or not Paranoid enough."

"And this room?"

:aaa: :aaa:

"Everyone, kit yourselvzes out."

Trust me, this stuff isn't that good, it's all entry-tier equipment.

"No, we must find the Commander to get our orderz."

"I don't think you're in charge."

"I'm not!"

When you talk to people, the window changes to this. It's a hyper-link text thingy, where you can click on words to advance through the conversation. Look, Name and Job are all the ones that everyone will respond to and they will be the first three conversation pieces I work with. I won't be showing these unless something comes up that I know you all need to see otherwise it won't be believed. Instead, I'll do conversations with the BOLD word being the keyword to advance the conversation and carry on from there.

"Sorry for the intrusion, we're looking for the Commander. You are you?"

He coughs, and gasps slightly. "I'm Avizo."

"Well, hello. I'm Hox. We're here to investigate the problem. Why are you here?"

"I'm trying to flee the Vale. What's it to you?"

"Well, anything about the Vale we can get before we enter would be nice."

"It's just too dangerous. And I had to leave things of great value behind as well." This clearly upsets him.

"Like what?"

He doesn't care to talk about it. His eyes start to tear up, and he bows his head and turns away.

"That could have gone better. But he's right, there would have to be a lot of valuables in the region that were just abandoned."

"That's a good point."

"Yeah, but the really valuable stuff that was portable would have been taken. What's left would be things too big or heavy to move."

As a writer, I ascribe to the notion that your characters should act and react organically to the situations before them, as as an author, creating these situations and realizing how everything follows is a good skill to have. It's not the only way to write, but it is mine. Why this tangent, you ask? Well, because it's at this point that I think I have this team's character appear before me. I can work with this.

"What's this?"

"Nothing we can or should open at this time."

"And this?"

"Not to be disturbed, obviously."

"Wow, this is bad. Like, who leaves a 20 pound bar of metal lying on a bench like this?"

"Not worth anything either."

"And why would they need a Liason? This is an Empire Outpost!"

"No clue, but when the Empire can't be bothered to leave behind a papertrail, things are going bad for the wrong people. Bad in an opportunity kind of way."

"And now we learn more."

"There you are." You meet the commander for Fort Talrus. He looks like he was once a dashing, razor sharp soldier of the sort the Empire prides itself on. What ground him down into the weary bureaucrat you see before you, you can only guess at. He doesn't get up to introduce himself. He simply says, in a weary voice, "I am Terrance, commander of Fort Talrus."

Introduces the group. "How can be help you in your Job, sir?"

"I run this fort. Or I do so as well as I am allowed."

"If you could tell us a little more about the Fort itself, sir?"

For a moment, you see the flickers of fury in his eyes. His loss of composure only lasts a moment. "Fort Talrus. Proud defender of Skylark Vale." His voice drips with irony. "What a joke."

"Just look outside! Look at the valley. See how well we protected it. The disaster started years ago. Yet, despite my please, you're the first help we've received, and you're damned Avernites!"

"Ah, I'm Empire."

"And me."

"Me three."

"Point made, it's still a Vole's idea that finally got some help around here."

"Can you describe the Disaster? Having some clue on where to start would help."

"It started six years ago. Slowly at first, barely noticeable. A bitter taste in the water. Then the taste got worse, like poison. Then the illness began."

"Illness?"

"We've been spared it up here, unlike the valley below. The animals have sickened. The adults felt constantly ill. The worst fate, however, fell on the children."

"What of the children?"

He shakes his head, sadly. "They got sick. They died. Most of them, anyway. Everyone started moving away. Those who didn't, well, they're fools. And that's the story. Not much more assistance I can give you."

"Needless to say, we are granted few supplies. The Empire sends little to a 'Peaceful Area' such as this one." You can hear the quotation marks, and he clearly only keeps shouting with great difficulty. "However, anything in the main storeroom you'd like, you are welcome to it. In addition, the room you've been assigned is yours to rest in and store things for the duration of your mission. Finally, I know where you can get more information."

"And where, or whom would that be found?"

"Mayor Crouch, in Sweetgrove, to the north. She knows pretty much everyone in the Vale. Someone might have a clue as to what caused the disaster. I can only hope so."

"Thank you for your time."

"Any help is better than none."

"Whole barracks emptied out because someone in the Province decided it wasn't worth keeping soldiers here. I used it to stage people who where leaving, back when there were people still to leave."

"And the entryway, where we entered last night."

"Oh, hello!" The woman has clearly spend a lot of time out in the sun, and a lot of time working with dirt. A trowel hangs from her belt. "I am Penelope. Greetings."

"Danger. Taylor Danger. What do you do around here?"

"Well, I grow crops at the fort. It's sort of an unusual arrangement."

"In what way?"

She shrugs and picks dirt out from under her fingernails.. "It's pretty unusual, I know, for an Empire fort to have a live-in farmer. The curse has caused some arrangements to be made."

"What can you tell us about this curse?"

"Commander Terrance will probably want to speak to you about it, but all you really need to know, you can find out by drinking the river water. That was the first thing that went wrong."

"And what's wrong with the river water?"

"It burns. It makes your tongue feel like it's been out in the sun for hours. That's why I grow crops here ... they get rain water, not river water."

"I am beginning to see a pattern here."

"Agreed. Which is odd as this should be an obvious problem with an obvious solution."

"Nah."

"And empty."

"Oh, hello there!"

This woman looks like she's enjoyed a life of good health and ceaseless vigor. However, something is clearly chipping away at the edges of her vitality, and she isn't at all happy about it. "I'm Maria. Welcome to my kitchen, honey. What can I do for you?"

"Cooper, Unspecified Services. What do you do around here, ma'am?"

"I cook for the troops, and do what I can for the unfortunates who need help."

"I would think that everyone needs some of that."

The look on her face is balanced evenly between pity and fear. "No need to ask me. Just go to Sweetgrove and look around. It'll break your heart."

"And the troops?"

"There are sill some soldiers here, though they feel pretty useless, the poor lambs. What assails this valley, steel can't defeat."

"Tell us about the valley."

"There are two type of crops in the Skylark Vale. The meager and the dead. Though it's against the rules, those worst off sometimes come up here so I can feed them some of the Empire's rations."

"The Empire has saved many lives." She frowns. "Against its will."

"Yeah, even I won't stoop that low."

"More nearly-empty barracks."

"And thiz is the central yard."

"The farms we were told about."

"And some fruit trees."

"Hold on, what iz thiz?"

In the grand tradition of RPG's everywhere and everywhen - rats in the garbage/basement.

"There! Giants Rats."

"They're everywhere."

Moving into combat stacked the five back PCs onto the same square, but put Zaka out front. This is not ideal.

Actually, this entire party is a challenge for me. In my previous LPs, I anchored the entire party around Art, a PC with Priest Spells, and skill in weapons so she could Bless/Heal and keep swinging. I knew what I was doing and I did it with skill. Here though? Because I literally just took the first six PCs I got, I'm working with a party that has three archers/throwing specialists, one of whom is also a Priest, One Mage, one Priest, and one guy who is actually intended for melee combat. This is going to be hard.

"Everyone, back into the corner to better defend ourselves!"

:flame:

:science:

Oh crap, I forgot about these guys. Vapor Rats breathe a noxious cloud, a temporary terrain effect. Anyone who steps into it gets Cursed, a stackable combat debuff that reduces your to-hit by 5%, your damage by 1-2, and yes, it's stackable. This is bad. Very bad.

And there are more hiding out out of immediate sight. This is not good for me.

Not good.

OK, time to crack open the character editor and give everyone basic weapons they can actually use, and reload.

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"You don't say."

"Or maybe not."

So Hox is the only really built melee character in the party. Yes, Tokka and Zaka aren't slouches, but Hox has serious investments into this. Plan B at this point is to Bless and Haste him, and have him mulch enemies at the front while everyone else pelts things from range.

"That was perfectly avoidable. That's it, I'm in the lead now."

And moving Hox to the front makes him the pointman in combat, which is sorely needed.

"I can aim without seeing my target. Excellent."

"And now we withdraw."

"Why? We were winning!"

"We are magically reduced."

"And now I am ready to cast more fireballs."

"I like the sound of that."

"And that's that."

"What have we here..."

"Not much."

"Dealt with your rat problem."

"What Rat problem?"

"Can't hear you! Too far away!"

berryjon fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 3, 2022

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Was it this? I remembered seeing it in a compilation decades ago.

No, it was an actual CD with the game from Spiderweb Software itself. That's how I received it when I bought the game back in the day.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
jon, you have my permission, nay insistance, to change Shinwell to, say, a dual-weilding knife build with some assassination via the editor. Honestly, it fits his character concept better and will help you mechanically. I just chose him as a range specialist because that's generally not highly used in this game and I didn't fancy that anyone else would do it.

idhrendur posted:

No, it was an actual CD with the game from Spiderweb Software itself. That's how I received it when I bought the game back in the day.

Oh, that's right... back then it would have been physical media.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Actually, I gave him a Sling, a new weapon in this game which is an 1d8 damage Throwing Weapon that needs no ammo.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Beater and solver of problems indeed. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot more beating and problem solving in his future.

That cursed condition seems awfully rude, and making it stackable too? I assume Vapor Rats are less of an issue with a well thought out party. Are there many encounters with tricks like that in earlygame?

Also, if it's not too late I selected a portrait head for Philip Hox you could use, if its not a bother.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You can change Jo into a melee user as well if it makes it easier on you. The theif skills are the main part of her, not ranged damage

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

BraveLittleToaster posted:

That cursed condition seems awfully rude, and making it stackable too? I assume Vapor Rats are less of an issue with a well thought out party. Are there many encounters with tricks like that in earlygame?
Stackable stuff works in the player's favor far more than it works against you. Vapor Rats tend to spam curse clouds because they don't have other options, but actual spell casters have enough spells that the AI will rarely repeatedly cast it. Meanwhile, you the player can intentionally spam curses to weaken an enemy or more commonly, do a double or triple-Bless to turn a single ally into a killer.

It's also worth noting that you don't have to fight this encounter this early. It's fairly decent early XP so it's worth doing, but you can absolutely go to a town with a shop first. Especially with a party that focuses heavily on physical attacks since the Exile games all tend to be really stingy on starting equipment. Like to the point that you probably have at least one of your melee attackers who doesn't even have a viable weapon - for example, berryjon's first attempt at the fight seems to have Zaka wielding a pole weapon (stone spear) despite having points in bashing weapons.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The Exile series has by far the strongest buffs/debuffs in all of Vogel's games, and he's been steadily walking things back since then. You can have up to, I think, 3 or 4 stacks of Bless or Curse on a character (Bless stacks reduce Curse stacks and vice versa). High-level blessings apply multiple stacks in one go. And blessing makes your character more accurate, makes them deal more damage, and makes enemy attacks less accurate and less damaging against them. At max bless, your character will pretty much never miss, and enemies will almost never hit, and when they do it'll be for trivial damage. It is entirely reasonable to do fights by luring enemies into a chokepoint which is held by a single fighter who's been blessed up to their eyeballs; they're basically invulnerable against physical damage.

The counterpoint to this, of course, is that being cursed absolutely sucks. :v: But that's rare; Vapor Rats are one of the few cases I can remember where you'll actually be dealing with curse as a serious obstacle.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Look, there's a reason why Art was built the way she was. She could Bless herself and turn herself into a Blender of Doom.

But yeah, I equipped the party with starting level equipment more suited to their skills, and nothing else. The quality of your equipment makes a massive difference in this game, that's for sure.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Exile series has by far the strongest buffs/debuffs in all of Vogel's games, and he's been steadily walking things back since then.

One thing you might find interesting is the evolution of Haste over the years.

Classic Geneforge Version: You have 8 Action Points, which are used up as you move and attack. Being Hasted gives you 5 extra. Slowed reduces your action points by 3-5 (I forget)

Changed, for being too strong, to:

Later Avernum/Avadon Version: Haste has a percentage chance of giving you an extra attack. Slowed has a percentage chance of making you lose your turn

Later changed in Queen's Wish to:

ATB Version: The game keeps an 'ATB bar' behind the scenes of how long it is before the next person's turn. Haste makes the 'bar' fill up 40% faster. Slow makes it fill up 40% slower. The difference is very substantial, to the point where slowing enemies and hasting your party becomes critical as part of controlling the flow of a battle.

I honestly think this is stronger than the Avernum version.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Randomly poking my head into LP really payed off, just in time for a berryjon Exile lp! Perfect.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Ahh blades of exile, my first spiderweb game. Played the shareware version in highschool whilst suffering from a horrible flu. So it made the plot of everyone being sick seem so much more real.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
A few years back I played Exile 1. I think that these games hold up remarkably well today, apart from visually, The only reason that I did not finish my playthrough was that I took a hiatus and completely forgot where I was or how to pick up where I left off. As many of you know, these games can be quite open and trying to find my place again was trying to resume a choose-your-own-adventure book after having lost the bookmark.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Exile 1 is definitely one of those games that benefits from taking notes. If I recall correctly, it had absolutely no quest tracking of any kind.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, it had absolutely no quest tracking of any kind.

I can confirm.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

I can confirm.

Oh right, this was back when the dialogue system was based on asking NPCs keywords that you typed in yourself.

Very AOL.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Quackles posted:

Oh right, this was back when the dialogue system was based on asking NPCs keywords that you typed in yourself.

Very AOL.

Yep, and if you knew the keywords in advance, or got lucky with guessing, you could skip quests.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Next update recorded. Will process tomorrow.

Spoilers!

VOGEL!!!!!!!!! This is supposed to be an intro scenario!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Incidentally, if anyone hasn't, they should checkout Jeff Vogels GDC talk, Failing to Fail, it's very entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxVBJem3Rs

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

berryjon posted:

VOGEL!!!!!!!!! This is supposed to be an intro scenario!
Jeff's realization that "hey, it's not a great idea to bushwack your players out of nowhere with a wildly overpowered enemy" came much later in his design career than this game.

Though tbh, that's a monster with no ranged attacks and no resistances, so I feel like a competent and well-balanced party with the correct amount of magical power could use status effects to punch through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Zeniel posted:

Incidentally, if anyone hasn't, they should checkout Jeff Vogels GDC talk, Failing to Fail, it's very entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stxVBJem3Rs

I watched this. No-one would accuse Jeff V of an excess of ego, that's for sure. The whole presentation is 1/3 advice, 1/3 'how are we still open' and 1/3 self-deprecation.